Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ The dragon amongst wolves ❯ the puzzle ( Chapter 3 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter 4

AN: I laughed hysterically when BDQ gave me the name for the doctor. It is the name of the teacher I have for one of my classes . Please enjoy.

The Flash Back Continues to Continue

The Puzzle

 “WHAT DID YOU DO TO THAT CHILD?” Doctor Thunder screeched as he approached the two shocked men in the chairs.

“Now hold on just a minute!” Jason jumped to his feet, fury in his eyes. “If you think we did this than you just think again! We did nothing to that girl other than bring her here for treatment.”

“I tried to tell you Dr. Kurata,” Dr. Hashimoto said shakily, “these men just found the victim. They weren’t the ones who actually did anything.”

“So they say,” Kurata scowled at them. “How do we know that they’re telling the truth? How do we know that they just aren’t just covering for something or someone? I’ve been informed by our staff that there is no list of a ‘Ranma Satome’ anywhere in the Nermia district so I would like some answers NOW!”

“I may be able to help with that,” Shirou Ooshima suddenly announced pulling out a large manila envelope. “I have been able to attain some records in regards to a one ‘Ranma Satome’ here in Nermia.”

Hajime nodded in relief as Dr. Kurata yanked the papers out of Shirou’s hands. Shirou may only be twenty-four but he already crack shot attorney who always delivered.

Dr. Kurata looked up from the papers looking even redder in the face than before. “Is this some sort of joke?” he growled angrily. “These papers are for a boy named Ranma Satome.”

“What?” Hajime peered over the man’s shoulder much to the doctor’s dismay and look at the photograph. Indeed it was a boy who stared back at him. “He looks exactly like our Ranma.”

“Oh trust me, it gets weirder,” Bankotsu told them as he handed Hajime a duffle bag of fresh clothes.

Shirou pulled out an old newspaper and handed that to the doctor as well. Hajime once more peered over his shoulder. There, on the first page of the sports section was the female Ranma that they had met that morning wearing a leotard and handcuffed to a pig?

“Ranma Satome defeats local gymnast prodigy,” Kurata read the headline. “What the hell?”

“I did some investigating at the East Nermia High school and discovered that there is a boy named Ranma Satome registered there.” Shirou held out the paperwork. “And not only that, but a female Ranma Satome appears to attend there as well. Seems the two are quite a legend on that side of town.”

“Twins?” Jason suggested.

“That doesn’t explain Ranma-chan’s lack of paperwork.” Bankotsu countered.

Kurata sighed. “If they are twins than we have a problem.”

“Yes. Just what made you so angry when you came at us like a charging bear, Dr. Kurata?”

The man scowled at Jason. “And you are?”

“Doctor Jason Meredith, Graduate of America’s Harvard Medical School. And where did you say you went to school doctor?”

“Can the crap Jason,” Bankotsu snapped. “What’s wrong with Ranma-chan?”

Dr. Kurata scowled at Jason for a beat before turning to the others. “Ranma-san has suffered form what I suspect is prolonged child abuse. I’d say starting when she was about two or three years of age.”

The four men gasped at the announcement.

Shirou was thoughtful for a moment. “That could explain the missing paperwork,” he murmured more to himself than his audience.

“Perhaps we should speak of this else where?” Dr. Hashimoto suggested, looking at the collection of patients and nurses watching the goings on intently.

Agreeing, the group of gentlemen proceeded to Dr. Kurata’s office, with Hajime making a quick detour to the lavatory to change out of his soiled clothing.

“Now if we could have a full explanation please?” Bankotsu asked eyes swiveling between the doctor and lawyer once the doors were closed. “Either one of you, I doubt it makes a difference.”

Shirou glanced at the other man when Dr. Kurata waved at him to go first. “I’d like to hear your theory before I get into the details of the girls injuries.”

The younger man nodded in thanks. “If Ranma-kun and Ranma-chan are in actuality twins, than that explains how it could be possible to hide Ranma-chan’s birth.” Puzzled looks greeted him and Shirou sighed in exasperation. “It would be obvious that the mother was pregnant but if no one was notified that she was expecting twins, no one would question when she showed up with only one child.”

“So when the baby was added to the family registry, they only put down the son’s name?” Hashimoto guessed.

“It’s only a theory.”

“My God,” Dr. Kurata sat back in his chair in shock. “Never letting anyone know of the girls existence, and they could do whatever they wanted with her and no one would be the wiser.”

“It’s only a theory, of course. I’m still unsure of the particulars of this Ranma-kun.” Shirou told them. “There’s some sort of red tape concerning a trip out of the country and a few other anomaly’s in the records but it shouldn’t take me too long to get everything sorted out.”

“Not bad for two hours work,” Hajime grinned. “How long do you think it will take?”

“A day at the most.”

“We’ll also try and see if we can get any and all medical records for both Ranma’s from our sister hospital on the other side of Nermia.” Kurata told them. “As well as any possible blood samples that were taken from the two. We can compare it to our Ranma Satome.”

 “That should tell us exactly who she is.” Hajime smiled gratefully. “Now you were going to explain the extent of Ranma-chan’s injuries?”

“Just where is Ranma-chan now?” Jason interrupted. “Is she in the recovery ward?”

“No,” Dr. Kurata sighed. “She had to be handed off to a bone reconstruction specialist for an assortment of grafts and from what he told me he’ll have to insert some pins into her leg. There are three attending surgeons working on her case since her damage was that critical.”

Bankotsu whistled softly and Hajime when white at the announcement.

“Her injuries are not good. There were numerous lacerations and more than likely a concussion. The five inch laceration on her side nearly severed one of her major artery’s that I’m amazed that she was able to sit up let alone walk as far as you stated she did Doctor Meredith.” Jason shrugged as Dr. Kurata continued. “While only one was near fatal, she still required over thirty stitches over nine different lacerations on her body. She has a most definite shattered tibia in her leg as well as a damaged patella,”

“Knee cap,” Jason clarified.

“She had a broken collarbone, a fractured arm and four shattered ribs. We discovered that one of the ribs was threatening to puncture her lung and had to do an immediate emergency surgery to remove the dangerous piece. We nearly lost her more than once on the operating table.”

Shirou gasped in shock and Bankotsu looked as if he were going to be ill.

Dr. Kurata looked at the four men filling his office. “And those are only the most recent injuries. Ranma Satome has suffered from consistent malnutrition, massive loss of bone density, numerous head contusions, over thirty fractures through out her entire skeletal structure and a multitude on improperly healed broken bones in all four of her limbs as well as torso that it was no wonder those ribs broke so destructively if they were already cracked!”

“There also seems to be massive tissue and muscular damage,” Dr. Hashimoto continued. “Though Satome-chan seems highly well developed muscles there still is underlying damage from years of strain before they were completely developed.”

“Then there’s the head trauma,” Dr. Kurata announced.

Jason frowned. “More than just the damage from the concussion?” Jason asked.

“Ranma Satome’s occipital bone has sustained so much damage that I’m in shock that it’s hasn’t been turned into paste!” a new voice boomed into the office.

The men all whirled around at the intrusion and found themselves facing a rather large menacing woman of five foot seven and eyes that flamed with looks of pure hate. “Why aren’t they in handcuffs?” She demanded. “Haven’t the police been called?”

“Dr. Ikari,” Dr. Kurata stood. “Gentlemen, this is Dr. Ikari our chief trauma physician. She’ll be taking over Satome-Chan’s case once she is removed from the emergency unit.”

“What the hell is going on Dr. Kurata? I thought you went to apprehend the assailants!”

“It was a misunderstanding Dr. Ikari.” Kurata soothed the fuming woman. “These gentlemen are good Samaritans, not abusers.”

“Um,” Shirou stood quickly and gathered his things. “I should probably get back to the office quickly so we can get the identity issue resolved and proper paperwork filed.” He looked at the doctors who were squaring off; “I will assume that the hospital will be pressing child abuse charges once the parents have been located?”

“You bet your ass they’ll be charges,” Dr. Ikari snapped before either of her colleges could respond.

Nodding, Shirou beat a hasty retreat and his boss and co-workers watched him leave enviously.

“Now,” Dr. Ikari appropriated Shirou’s empty chair. “Will some one tell me exactly what is going on?”