Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ The dragon amongst wolves ❯ The need for retreat ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

New Revised Chapter 3

AN: I hope you have an interesting time with this chapter and enjoy.

The Need for Retreat-

The Flash Back Continues

It was ten minutes later when the ambulance finally arrived and bustled Ranma into the vehicle. Climbing into the back, Jason was grilling the two medics on Ranma’s status while Hajime turned to Bankotsu. “Follow us in the car,” he ordered just as the doors were shut. Hajime listened to the medical mumbo-jumbo talk floating above him with half an ear as he reclaimed the girl’s hand and simply squeezed it for the entire trip.

Arriving at the hospital, the gurney was hustled out and rushed into the emergency ward where a whole battalion of doctors and nurses descended upon it. A rather large nurse with biceps the size of small cars suddenly wrenched Hajime away from his post at Ranma’s side and he found himself being subtly guided out of the way by a concerned Bankotsu towards the waiting chairs.

The gurney was quickly rolled down a hallway and behind two doors barring a large “Surgery” sign above and out of sight.  With his surprised guest firmly in the hands of the doctors, Hajime finally sagged into the seat in exhausted relief Bankotsu patting his shoulder reassuringly.

Jason soon finished his inquiry with the head nurse before making his way to the waiting two. “It’s bad,” he announced before they could utter a single word of their many questions.

“Just what is wrong with her?” Hajime asked full of anxiety at the answer.

 “Hell, it’s even worse than I though.” Jason shook his head as he collapsed into the empty seat next to Bankotsu. “From what the doctors can tell, she has a fractured clavicle, a shattered right tibia, at least three broken ribs and multiple fractures in her radius. Hell, there’s probably even some internal damage but the doctors won’t know until they have her on the operating table.”

Bankotsu and Hajime stared. “Okay, all I got out of that speech was ‘broken ribs’,” Hajime told him.

“In human speak please?” Bankotsu asked encouragingly.

Jason sighed and rubbed his forehead tiredly. “Sorry guys. She has at least a broken collar bone, her leg’s shattered and her arm’s busted.”

“Wonderful,” Bankotsu muttered sarcastically as he slouched down in his seat.

“How long will it be before we have the diagnosis?” Hajime asked.

Jason threw up his hands in answer.

“Wonderful,” Hajime muttered as he turned to stare at the doors that Saotome-san had been carted through.

“Her family should be here,” Jason and Hajime startled at Bankotsu’s announcement.

“True,” Jason sighed. “We’ve know her for only an hour and most of that was when she was unconscious.”

“You’re right,” Hajime agreed. “They should know what happened to their daughter. Get on the line and call Shirou. Have him start a trace on this Satome family and see if they can get down here right away. He can contact us here at the hospital if he needs us.”

Bankotsu nodded and immediately yanked out his cell phone and headed outside to make the call, fingers already dialing the number.

Jason eye Hajime critically. “Isn’t that the hospitals job?”

Hajime shrugged, “Shirou has better connections in the registry department and is a hell of a lot quicker. Her family should be here for her.”

“Mmm,” Jason murmured. “So why are we still here?”

Hajime shrugged evasively.

“Then I suppose we should leave-”

“We were with her when she went unconscious.” Hajime argued. “She knows no one here at there should be at least one familiar person here when she wakes up.”

Jason raised an eyebrow at his long time patent. He had known Kale Hajime since he was a baby and while Hajime was a kind generous man, sitting in terrible, ugly orange plastic chair while waiting for a patient whom they knew absolutely nothing about was not something he expected out of the other man.

Bankotsu returned from his call just as an older gentleman wearing the obvious lab coat over his scrubs came over to the section they were seated in. “My name is Kou Hashimoto and I’m one of the doctors working Satome-san’s case,” he explained to them. “I was told that you arrived with the patient in the ambulance. I have to have some forms filled out and needed some of Satome-san’s information.”

“There’s a problem with that,” Jason interrupted. “The truth is that we don’t actually know Ranma Satome-san.”

Dr. Hashimoto looked at them in complete confusion. “I’m afraid I don’t understand.”

“Satome-san was found trespassing on my property with a multitude of injuries. Naturally we called for help when my household physician announced the severity of her wounds.”

“There is no idea where her family is?” Dr. Hashimoto asked.

Bankotsu shook his head; “All she managed to tell us was her name before she passed out.”

Dr. Hashimoto frowned in dismay as he looked down at his clipboard when Hajime spoke up. “I will be paying for Satome-san’s treatment for the time being until her situation is sorted out.” He ignored the way both Bankotsu and Jason whirled around to stare at him complete shock. “As for her past medical treatments, we can’t help you.”

The doctor sighed in relief. “Very well. These are the insurance forms as well as a few other documents. Now I understand that you have no personal connection to the patient, but we have to have most of these filled before we do any more invasive surgery.”

“What about the surgery she’s in now?” Bankotsu asked.

“Life threatening situation,” Jason explained. “Takes precedence.”

Hashimoto nodded. “These are for the other, minor surgery’s.”

“Money grubbing bastards,” Jason muttered as they watched the doctor hurry away.

Hajime nodded in whole-hearted agreement as he began looking for a pen when he suddenly realized that he was still wearing his blood-drenched gi.

Well no wonder the old bitty across from them was giving him such terrified glances. “Er…”

Bankotsu smirked as he held out a pen for the man to use. “Perhaps I should return to the house to retrieve some fresher clothing?” he asked, amusement shining in his eyes. “Since it seems that we’re going to be here a while.”

Hajime sighed in relief as he took the writing tool. “That would be most appreciated. Thank you.”

Jason groaned as he tried to find a comfortable position in the demonic chairs. “We’re paying?” he demanded.

“Well ‘we’ are not doing anything. ‘I’ however am.” Jason leveled a look at him. “I can afford it,” Hajime protested.

Jason shrugged. “Your money.”

“Indeed.”

They sat in silence for an hour while Hajime filled out the forms, occasionally asking Jason to define some of the crazy medical speak. It was tedious, boring paper work that, try as he might, he just couldn’t focus on.

He was worried for the girl. If she was in such bad shape as the doctors were telling him he only hoped that they got her to the hospital in time.

On the upside, the old bitty left.

He continued to fill out the paperwork for another hour as Jason watched a multitude of standard patients move in and out of the ER.

A small girl of about six who had come in for a broken arm sat down next to Hajime and began grilling Hajime about the blood on his clothes and if he had an owie just like she did. Jason smirked when it looked like the mother was going into cardiac arrest right there in the middle of the floor when she saw whom it is her daughter had sat down next to.

The little girl, Kanako she told them, waved as her mother practically dragged the girl down to the examining room and Hajime resumed his tedium paperwork. 

“Here.”

Hajime jerked as a little paper cup was held out in front of him. “Thanks,” he took a long drink of the coffee only to try and cough it back up when the taste finally hit him.

“Amazing, isn’t it? Able to put people back together from itty bitty pieces and yet still can’t manage to put together a simple cup of coffee.” Jason drawled.

“That is foul.”

“This is a hospital.”

Hajime scowled at his friend when he suddenly from the corner of his left eye saw Bankotsu entering the hospital with a confused look on his face followed closely by Shirou Ooshima the family attorney.

Meanwhile, on his right Jason sat up straighter as an older man came charging towards them with a murderous look on his face, Dr. Hashimoto trotting quickly on the other doctors heels. “Might I suggest a strategic retreat?” Jason asked eyeing the thunders man.

“Oh shut up,” Hajime hissed as he stood up and braced himself for whatever happened.