Romance Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ London Rain ❯ Volume One, Chapter Four: Date Plot ( Chapter 4 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Date Plot

This would be the date from hell. Mrs. Young was planning a dinner party. She hadn't give up this tradition after two years. Bridgey clearly didn't want to do this.

“Why do I have to go?” she complained. Her mother zipped up her dress.

“She's a nice lady,” she said.

“But I dumped James!” her daughter complained. “Why does she keep doing this?”

“She likes you, Bridgey,” Rose said. Bridget frowned at her.

“And?” she asked.

“It would be horrible to turn her down,” her mother answered. But it would be honest, her daughter thought. Too bad her words wouldn't reach her mother. Luckily for her, Bridget had a back-up plan.

-Yesterday-

Nathan was about to head out the door for the evening.

“Nathan!” he heard someone shout. He turned to see Bridget running towards him.

“Bridgey?” he asked with an eyebrow raised. She caught up to him, panting.

“Good,” she said in between breaths. “I'm so glad I caught you.”

“What's the matter?” he asked. Bridget stood up straight.

“I need your help,” she admitted. Nathan gave her an odd look.

“Okay, what is it?” he asked.

-Present Day-

The doorbell suddenly rang. Rosemary looked up.

“Who's at the door?” she asked. Bridget smiled to herself.

“Ah, yes,” she said. The journalist walked up to the front door. Nathan stood on the other side when she opened it.

“Nathan!” Bridget cheered. “So glad you're here.”

“Am I too early?” he asked.

“No,” Bridgey said. “You're right on time.” She showed him into the house. Rosemary gave them a confused look.

“Mum,” Bridgey said. “This is my date, Nathan.” Her mother blinked.

“Isn't he your boss?” she asked.

“Yes,” Bridget answered. “And he is my date tonight.”

“Okay…” Rosemary mumbled. Bridget clapped her hands together.

“Right,” she said. “Shall we get going?” Bridgey took Nathan by the arm and headed followed behind.

---------

Bridget rang Mrs. Young's doorbell an hour later. Nathan glanced down at her.

“What do I need to do?” he asked.

“Just be you,” Bridget said. “Everything will be fine.” She hope that would stay true when the door swung open. Faith stood before them, frowning. Bridgey gave her a small wave.

“Hi, we're here,” she said. The young girl snorted at her.

“Mum!” she shouted. “They're here!”

“Just let them in!” Mrs. Young called back. The girl moved aside to obey.

“Thank you,” Bridget said. Faith rolled her eyes.

“Whatever,” she mumbled. Bridget tried her best to stay positive.

“Gee thanks, you little brat,” she mumbled. Nathan gave her an odd look.

“Is she always like this?” he asked.

“Yes,” Bridgey answered under her breath. “Oh, yes.” They followed the spoiled child into the dining room.

The table had a nice spread on it. Mrs. Young only used her white lace table cloth on Sundays. Bridget frowned at the sight of it.

She still sets it out for me? She shook her head to herself. I've got to put my foot down with her, Bridgey thought.

“Well now,” a voice brought her back to earth. “This is a strange surprise!” She looked up to see James in the kitchen doorway.

“What is this?” he asked. His ex cleared her throat.

“James,” Bridget said. “Nathan is my date tonight.”

“Ello,” their boss said with a wave. James put on a pleasant smile.

“Well,” he said. “This is rather interesting.” Rosemary looked away rather nervous.

“Yes!” Bridget said in a bold voice. Someone broke up the tension with a bell. Mrs. Young peeked out from the kitchen wearing an apron.

“Uh… supper's ready,” she announced.

-------

Tonight was spaghetti. Mrs. Young wanted to try Italian cooking.

“Tell me how it is,” she said as she served the plates. “I tried to follow the recipe perfectly.”

“You're cooking is always perfect, mum,” James said.

“You are a good son!” his mother said. And a bad boyfriend, Bridget thought. She picked up her fork and took a bite. She shrugged to herself. At least the food tastes good, the journalist thought.

“This tastes great,” Nathan said. Mrs. Young's cheeks turned bright red.

“Thank you so much,” she replied.

“I really like Italian food,” the boss said. Faith narrowed her eyes at him.

“Are you and Piggy shagging?” she outright asked. All eyes fell upon her.

“Excuse me?” Nathan asked, pretending he didn't understand her.

“Faith!” her mother shouted. Bridget lowered her fork, gritting her teeth.

“No,” she hissed. “Not yet.” Faith smirked at her.

“Oh,” she said. “Is it because his pen--?” James stomped on her foot under the table.

“Ow!” she yelped.

“Cut it out!” he hissed. “He is my boss!”

“But…” Faith complained. Her brother glared at her. The younger girl lowered her head.

“Fine,” she mumbled. “I'm sorry.” Bridget smirked to herself over her plate. She still didn't want to be here, but the food and James chastising the rotten brat would have to do for now. Plus, she had Nathan by her side. The journalist happily took another bite.

Match Point