Romance Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ London Rain ❯ Volume One, Chapter Five: The Battle ( Chapter 5 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

The Battle

-Bridget-

I have tried to block out my history with James in the past. I found it difficult due to the fact we go back to our early university.

-Ten Years Ago-

I met him on the first day of my freshman year. I happened to be late for my class because I overslept. Oh shite, I thought as I raced across campus. I'm going to be late! I'm going to be late! I ran to the building and just stopped. My legs felt like clay as I panted. I thought they would collapse underneath me. I can't go on! Is this the end of me? I shut my eyes, shaking my head. No! It can't end this way! I haven't even started on my classes. I am so screwed. What do I do? My thoughts came to a halt when I heard someone running towards me. I happened to turn around and see this bloke rushing towards me. I tilted my head. What? He caught up to me at the door.

“Are you alright?” I asked. The bloke held up his hand, still panting. At first, I thought him a bit odd. He wasn't exactly a charming bloke at first glance. Yet, I already found myself rather curious about him.

“You're late for a class too, huh?” I asked.

“Yeah,” he said.

“Which one?”

“Journalism.”

My jaw dropped. “Wait! Who's your professor?”

“Mr. Goodman.”

“Whoa! That's my professor too!”

This funny-looking bloke gave me a strange expression on face. “You're in my class?”

“Yes,” I told him.

“Oh, good!” he said. “You'll do just fine!”

“Huh?” I asked.

“Come on!” he said. “We're going to be late.” He grabbed me by the arm and dragged me into the building.

“Hey!” I shouted. “What are you talking about?!” We raced down the hall before stopping in the middle.

“What's your name, by the way?” this bloke asked, whipping around to face me. Now he asks me? Why not do that before running to class? It felt rather annoying in that context.

“Bridget,” I answered. “And who are you?” This strange bloke gave me a bow.

“My name is James,” he said. At this point, I had the strangest inkling that I had seen him from somewhere else before.

“Say, did you ever--?” I asked.

“Oh, there's no time!” James cut in. “We better get going!” He grabbed my hand and dragged me to class. We made it just as the professor was writing his name on the board. Turns out, James wanted to use me to chase off this girl who had been harassing him over the summer.

“Thank you so much,” he told me after class. I should have wanted to slap him, but he had this charm that melted my anger. When he broke into laughter, rubbing the back of his head, I remembered where I saw him before.

There was once a boy named James in my neighbourhood. I had seen him once or twice, but we never crossed paths until today. Maybe we have, but I didn't remember. Either way, James wasn't going to let me go so easily.

“Can I see you again?” he asked.

“Why?”

He broke into his annoyingly cute laughter. “Because, I fancy you.” I hadn't counted on hearing that.

“Uh…” was all I could say. He grabbed me by the hands.

“Great!” he said. “I'll see you tomorrow!” He kissed me on the cheek and walked away.

“But--!” I shouted. “Hey! Come back here!” Before I knew it, James and I ended up dating.

-Present Day-

I should've taken that as a clue of who that wanker really was! However, he's not my only problem in my love life at this time. Oh yea, things are about to spin out of control for me.

Tangled Up Love