Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Family ❯ Liars 101 ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Cye. Hey Cye!”
I shook my head quickly and jolted up. When did I fall asleep?
“Come on man, it's time to go.” I felt a hand on my shoulder ad looked up to see Kento standing above me, his stuff already packed up and in his backpack. I looked at my watch. Damn, the bell rang 2 minutes ago. And I slept through Algebra. Damn again.
“Hey don't worry, I'll let you borrow my notes.” Kento said helpfully as I stared absently at my blank worksheets.
I nodded slowly and gathered my things, avoiding the annoyed glare the teacher kept shooting at me. I bowed slightly as we left the room, and blushed from embarrassment. Second day, man I'm such a dork.
“So how goes the new home?” Kento asked once we had gotten outside.
I shrugged. “ It's alright I guess, kind of-wait! How'd you know about that?!”
He laughed. “ I told you man, I'm psychic.”
I rolled my eyes. “ More like psycho. Really, who told you?”
“Ryo told me.” He answered matter-of-factly. God I hate that! I used to get it all the time when I was little. It makes me feel like they think I should know that information. “So,” he continued, not noticing my little internal battle with myself. “How is it?”
“Just great.” I answered with little less enthusiasm than a dead gerbil. Where did that analogy come from?
“You don't exactly sound too thrilled about it? Something happen?” He asked carefully. I knew he was keeping the conversation light and I was glad for that, I didn't really want to relive the events from last night.
“Sorry about that mate, I just didn't get a lot of sleep last night.” I smiled half-heartedly in a weak attempt to mask my real feelings. He nodded slowly and we walked into our history class.
Whew, that was close. Now all I have to do is keep this up for the next few…years.
 
Kento's POV
 
Since when do you run into a door face first? God, that question had been radiating through my mind all morning. It didn't sound true…in fact I knew it wasn't. I had learned how to hide a lie in the past few years but I had also picked up a few ways of detecting them as well.
Something just wasn't adding up. Anytime I asked about his family or his new home, he always tried to change the subject. I might have been becoming annoying but I was interested. I'll leave it alone for now but I was still worried.
I sat down in my desk and began copying my notes, glancing at him from the corner of my eye. He sat down slowly, stiffly as if it hurt to move. Was he hiding something else?
“Hey, you okay?” I asked softly, tossing him a bottle of aspirin.
He took some of the tablets gratefully and nodded. “Yeah, just a little sore.” He passed the bottle back to me and downed the pills quickly.
I put them back in my bag and went back to my notes, looking over just in time to see him lay his head down on the desk. Hmm. I finished the sentence I was writing and leaned over, tapping him on the shoulder lightly. “Hey Cye?”
He jolted upright, swaying slightly and I kept my hand on his shoulder to steady him. “ Ugh…dizzy spell.” He tilted his head back slowly and closed his eyes.
Damn, jumpy. If something's not broken I'd be amazed. “ Come `ere.” I said softly, motioning for him to scoot towards me.
Cye sat up slowly and gave me a strange look. “Huh? Why?”
“Just do it.” I said, grabbing him by the wrist and pulling him towards me before he could protest any further. I reached out to touch his face but he backed up quickly, eyes wide.
“What are you doing?!” he whispered hoarsely.
“I'm checking to see if your nose is broken, now get back here jumpy.”
I think he tried to give me puppy-eyes but his eyes are big anyway so it really didn't have the same effect. I laughed softly. “ You look downright pitiful.”
He sighed in defeat and leaned forward reluctantly. “Hey it was worth a shot.”
“Yes but it was a failed attempt I'm afraid.” I laughed lightly and touched the bridge of his nose gently, receiving a sharp intake of breath as a response. Yep, it was broken. Maybe fractured but I couldn't tell for sure.
The teacher cleared her throat to get our attention and I released his face, letting him sit back in his desk. I tried to concentrate on my notes but found it a little harder than I thought it would be.
His lie still didn't stick. Unless he ran headfirst into a steel door, I really doubt a normal door could have done that much damage without some assistance.
 
Cye's POV
 
I picked up my binder and pushed it into my backpack, standing slowly to avoid the waves of vertigo that had been assaulting me for the past hour. Today sucks. A lot in fact.
Kento pulled me aside once we were out in the hall. “ I have a bad feeling that you're not telling me the whole truth.” He said crossing his arms slowly as he looked at me.
Damn. Worst day ever! I smiled quickly, maybe a little too quickly. “ Why would I lie to you? It's not like my parents beat me or anything.” I said laughing at my own grim joke. God if only.
He raised an eyebrow slowly. “ Do they?”
“No. What would make you think that?” I answered nervously. Damn! Why did I say that?!
“Well, it's just not something people bring up a lot.” He answered shrugging a little. “ Look, if someone hit you, please just tell me.”
I wanted to, God I wanted to. He looked genuinely concerned for someone I had known less than a week. But instead I smiled and shook my head. I trusted him but I didn't want him to worry about me either. Plus, I was starting to think that what happened last night may have been a one time thing. After all, they were both drunk when I got there. Then again…
“Cye? Cye! Snap out of it!”
I jolted back to reality at the image of Kento's hand passing in front of my face. Insert coherent response here. “Huh?” God, I'm brilliant.
“You zoned out on me man. You ok?”
I nodded and smiled. “ I promise, no one hit me, I'm just not very coordinated in the morning.”
He seemed to believe me for now, which was a huge plus for me cause it meant that I was getting better at my lies. That or he just gave up. Either way I had a temporary reprieve from 20 questions and was glad for it. God today sucks.