Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ The Legend Of the Solar Whip ❯ Chapter 6 ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"The Legend of the Solar Whip"
By Wildfire
Chapter Six



Kento waited, tapping his foot, at the front of the school; Cye stood next to him, and Sage was leaning against the doorframe.


"Where are they? School's going to be starting in like a minute! And we have an assembly today, and if you come in late to that they really kill YOU!" Kento said while looking at his watch.


Cye laughed a little. "Well, you know Ro, he probably overslept and Ryo had to pry him out of bed with a crowbar!"


Sage smiled to himself; things had been going well between Rowen and Ryo, and Ryo was making a great recovery and was actually happy. Ryo wasn't happy often, and he was glad to know he was. "Not to mention that if they got a late start, Ryo still can't run... and that ruins Rowen's usual way of getting to school on time! But they may excuse them because of Ryo's... his... situation," he said carefully and slowly.


"True... but we may have to go on down... they won't excuse US!" Cye said, looking at his own watch.


Rowen suddenly ran up to the school, breathing hard; he leaned over and tried to catch his breath. "I'm here..."


Sage raised his eyebrows at him. "And Ryo is...?"


Rowen looked up and then back behind him. "He's coming... just slowly..." He straightened up. "We have an assembly today, don't we?"


"Hai, we do... you guys go on ahead, I'll wait here for Ryo... Ms. Bally is the one that's checking in who's late and not, and she loves me, so I'll be fine..." Sage said, still leaning up against the doorframe, looking quite content.


Rowen watched him for a second, then nodded. "Yeah... and she hates me! I fact, I think she hates everyone who isn't you, Sage..." With that, he started off into the hall and down to the gym where the assemblies were held.


"Hey, isn't this the assembly for all the new kids of this semester?" Kento said, not sounding at all pleased.


"Yep," was all Cye said before following Rowen.


Kento groaned to himself and mumbled a 'boring', then ran and caught up with Cye.


Sage smiled; he had no problem missing as much of this assembly as possible. It was the most boring assembly of the year, well, maybe except the recognition assembly, which was equally as boring. Both you had to sit there for hours listening people say their names and stuff no one really listened to; not even the people who were up there ever listened to it.


He heard the bell signal that everyone should now be in the gym, and if not then you were late and got detention. He looked back out to the road and saw Ryo hobbling over in the distance. Sage pushed off the wall and went to greet him. "Hey, hopalong..."


Ryo smiled and swung at Sage, who easily avoided the punch. "You're late..."


Sage smiled and walked along next to him. "So are you..."


"I have an excuse!"


"So do I... I had to make sure you got inside... plus, Ms. Bally is the person checking to see who's late and not... and you know she loves me.." He ran his hand through his hair. "Though, who wouldn't... but she won't care about me... you have a better chance of getting detention than I do..."


Ryo laughed a little. "Yeah... she'll let you off... but not me... I could so see her doing that!"


"She probably will... she hates you more than anyone else IN this school, I think..."


"Yeah, and this whole thing with my foster parents will give her one more thing to hate me for!"


Sage looked at him funny and helped him up the steps of the school. "How do you figure that one?"


"I dunno... but you KNOW she'll find a reason to!"


Sage laughed and opened the door to the school. Neither much said anything once in the halls till they reached the gym. Ms. Bally looked at the two, giving Sage a smile and Ryo a frown; she had Sage this year in her English class, and she had Ryo last year for speech, and again this year for English with Sage. "And why are you two late?"


"I was waiting on Ryo... he can't move too fast because of his injuries..." Sage explained with a smile.


"Well, it is Mr. Sanada's own job to get himself out of bed early enough for him to get to school."


"Well, he had to wait on Rowen..." Sage tried to explain.


"Well, Mr. Hashiba got here on time..."


"That's 'cause he ran... I couldn't!" Ryo said, taking a step forward.


"Don't you take that tone of voice with me! Now, what Mr. Date did was out of friendship... you were just lazy! And you know very well I don't reward laziness!"


"Wait... you can't punish him for what happened to him! He gets up every day at five in the morning! And if you're going to let me off for waiting on Ryo, then you can turn it around and let him off for waiting on Rowen!"


"Mr. Hashiba was not hurt... and he did not need to wait on him... Mr. Hashiba can get himself to school on his own! Now, Mr. Sanada, you have detention today after school! Next time, wake up early enough, and keep your attitude to yourself! Now, get into that assembly!" With that, Ms. Bally started to write on her clipboard.


Ryo's eyes went wide, then he looked as if he was going to attack her, but Sage pushed him into the gym. "She treats me SO unfairly!" Ryo said, and looked around to find the guys, then went over and sat next to them; they had picked lower seats so Ryo wouldn't have to climb. "She gave me detention!" he whispered to Kento.


Rowen leaned over. "Are you serious?!" he said in a low whisper, but loud enough for Ryo and the others to hear.


"Yeah... but she let Sage off because 'he' was just being a good friend!" Ryo growled and looked at the ground.


"Relax, man... we'll all wait for you... we always do," Sage said, and patted his shoulder.


Ryo nodded and sighed; that teacher drove him nuts. She always hated him, and LOOKED for reasons to punish him. He never understood it; he had never done anything to her. Ryo turned his attention to the assembly; they were having each new student come up, say their name, and some stuff about them. Chessica was, of course, up there too.


* * * * *


After the assembly, the five guys made their way to their lockers. "I still can't believe she gave you detention!" Kento said with a frown; he had never had Ms. Bally, and hoped he never would.


"Yeah... and she's likely to give me another day when I get into class because I'm 'missing' so much homework!" Ryo said and sighed.


"No way... she has to excuse it... and anything else you missed!" Kento said right back.


"That's true... she has no choice, Ryo... she has to excuse it!" Rowen said, smiling reassuringly at Ryo.


"She'll find a way to embarrass me in that class, or give me detention... she always does..." Ryo said, grumbling as he reached his locker and started doing the combination.


Sage smiled. "Don't worry, man... she can't do much..." With that, he walked off to his own locker, as did the others.


* * * * *


Drake glared at Sage's back; he hated that kid with all his might, and somehow he would get him back for all the humiliation he had caused him. One way or another, Sage Date would pay.


* * * * *


Kento scuffled madly through his backpack, desperately trying to find his homework. He bit his bottom lip and tried to remember what he did with it. He had it in English, that was the place he did it, then he had stuffed it into his backpack and went to History. That was on the day Ryo had been released from the hospital.


He bit his bottom lip; his teacher was going to kill him if she found out he didn't have it. He pulled out a blank peace of paper and quickly starts wrote stuff on it, hoping he could maybe make the teacher think he had his homework. She never collected it, anyway... maybe, just maybe, he could get away with it.


* * * * *


Ryo sat next to Sage in their English class; Ryo wasn't too good at English. It wasn't that it was hard, he just didn't see any reason to learn a second language, not to mention this teacher wouldn't pass him anyway. She was the worst teacher he had ever had; she picked favorites, and although Sage was a wonderful student and did earn his grades, so was he, and Ms. Bally wouldn't give it to him!


"MR. Sanada, ARE you paying attention?! You'll never understand verbs and nouns if you DO NOT pay attention!" Ms. Balley said, hitting the board with her pointer stick.


"I am paying attention, ma'am."


"Are you arguing with me?"


"No... I was-"


"Mr. Sanada, unless you want a second day to your detention, I suggest you quiet down and listen!" Ms. Balley glared at him, then went back to her board. "And, Mr. Date, I'd like to see you after class."


Sage watched Ryo quickly collect his stuff after class and hurry out the door, or more hobble out the door. He turned to the teacher and smiled. "You wanted to see me?"


"I did... your test grade was lower than usual, and I was worried something is wrong," she said, actually looking concerned.


"Ummm, no, not really... I guess I've just kind of been out of it lately... I'm sorry..." Sage bowed a little; his grandfather had always taught him to bow to someone if older and speaking to you in a serious manner, it was just respectful.


"Perhaps it's your friends, then... you were getting a little snotty with me this morning... maybe you should look into finding better, more respectful friends..."


Sage froze. "Umm, I'm really close to my friends, ma'am, and I can't really just stop being their friends."


"Well, Sage, sometimes we really have to do things we don't like... these friends are not good for you... they won't help you learn and mature... however, I cannot force you to make a better decision, and this is only one test... but if your test grades continue to decline... I will have to step in. You may leave."


Sage gathered his stuff and left the room, a little angry at what she had said. He smiled when he saw Ryo leaning against the wall waiting for him.


"So, what'd she want?" Ryo asked, smiling.


"To tell me my test grade was lower than usual." He decided to leave out the fact that she was telling him not to be friends with him.


"You know, it's not fair; she's all nice to you and stuff, but to me she's a monster. You know, sometimes I wish I had a camera so I could turn her in and get her ass fired! She's the worst teacher I have ever had! And if I get her again next year, I'll kill her!"


Sage laughed a little. "And I don't think anyone would care... Chessica has her for speech this year..."


"Oh, and what list is she on?" Ryo asked with a sigh.


"Good... I'm telling you, it's the people that the opposite sex likes that she likes!" Sage said, walking slow so as not to leave Ryo behind.


"Hmm? what do you mean?"


"Well, all the girls go for me," he said in an irritated voice, "and all the guys have been going for Chessica... and the other people she likes are either players or sluts... that, again, the other sex, of course, likes!"


Ryo bit his bottom lip. "Well, Rowen's sorta popular with the girls; why doesn't she like him?"


"Because he's also brainy, all the other teachers like him as well... and because he stood up for you last year... if you remember, she was never really mean to him till then..." Sage said, and absently waved at some girl that was walking past and giggling.


"That's true... so, why don't YOU stand up for me when she yells at me for no freaking reason?"


"Why? Because I'd like to be able to PASS her class!" Sage said with a smile. "Plus, anything I say will just make her hate you more..."


"True... too true..."


* * * * *


Kento sat in his history class tapping his pencil; his teacher in his math class hadn't bought the homework, but she did say she would give him till the end of the day to find it. Though he had no idea WHERE to look.


"Um, excuse me? Kento-san?"


Kento's head whipped up and looked at the girl that was always blushing and smiling at him. "Oh, umm, hi..." Kento said desperately, trying to remember her name.


She bowed, then came up blushing. "I am Aida Tama; I found your paper, you dropped it a few-"


Kento suddenly grabbed the paper. "YES! OH, thank you so much! I've been looking for this ALL day! Thank you SO much!"


The girl blushed bright red, then bowed again. "I am glad to have helped." With that she turned around and started going back to her desk.


"Hey... you want to come to my place for dinner sometime? I mean, my family owns a restaraunt, so... and I think it's pretty good, and everything..." Kento said kinda slowly.
Tama froze and turned around slowly with bright red cheeks. "Y-you want me... to go out with... you?"


"Well, I wouldn't say go out... just, you know, dinner... you know, to thank you for finding and returning my paper..." Kento said with a half-smile.


"I would love to! When?"


Kento was about to answer, but the teacher interrupted his thought. "Class, please sit down and get quiet. We have a lot of work to do today, and I would like to start on it right away."


* * * * *


The final bell rang, signaling school was out for the day; kids hurried out of the school, while others slowly talked, gathering their stuff up. Yet others still slowly walked to the detention room; Ryo Sanada was one of those. Even though his friends had said they would wait for him, he still didn't agree with being here in the first place.


As he walked into the room, Ms. Bally was there at her desk, glaring at all the students there. "Well, Mr. Sanada, I'm surprised you showed!"


Ryo bowed, then took his seat and pulled out a book. Drake came into the room next and smiled when he saw Ryo there, thinking maybe detention wouldn't be too boring after all. After this thought, he took a seat right behind Ryo.


* * * * *


Sage, Rowen, Cye and Kento all sat in the library waiting for Ryo's detention to get out. Rowen was reading some science textbook, Kento was reading a comic book, and Sage and Cye were playing cards.


"You know, we really should turn Ms. Bally in to the principal... what she's doing can't be right..." Sage set a card down while saying this to Cye.


Rowen set his book down. "Hai, I know what you mean. It's not right, the way she treats students she doesn't like! I would know!"


"Hai, you would, though she doesn't hate you as much as some other students..." Cye reminded him. "She doesn't grade your homework assignments differently..."


"She would if she thought she could get away with it! But she knows I would turn her in, in a heartbeat, and since all the teachers love me... well, she wouldn't get away with it, and she knows it!" Rowen said with a smile.


Sage laughed at that. "Too true! Though, I still don't understand why she likes me so much!"


"We've been through this, man! It's because you're a pretty boy!" Kento said with a smile.


"I am not a pretty boy! I just happen to care about what I look like!" Sage said with a slight growl.


"You are too!" Kento and Rowen both said at the same time.


Sage gave them both a glare, than went back to his book. "How much longer do we have till Ryo's out?"


Rowen looked at his watch and sighed. "About ten more minutes."


"Ten minutes?! But I'm hungry!" Kento complained a little too loudly, and got a 'shh' from the librarian. Kento blushed a little from getting in trouble, then sighed.


* * * * *


Daller stood next to the Alen look-alike. "Any news on Solar yet?"


"No, Master... she seems to be in between... she's not sure who to go to..." His voice was low... and had a slight squeak to it. A squeak that was quite annoying!


"Well, we'll have to make sure she comes to us... won't we?" Daller smiled and walked off, leaving the Alen look-alike standing there doing nothing and staring ahead.