Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ After the rain ❯ 1:Confessions ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 1: Confessions
Warning: slight revisions added. Not for Raye x Chad fans btw. Sweet guy but I think Raye can do better than him.
(Mid summer, school year after Fruits Basket episode 26)
She gazed up at the sky and sighed deeply inhaling the fresh air during that late afternoon walk from school. She closed her eyes briefly.
“Why are you sighing, Tohru?” A loud obnoxious voice broke into her thoughts. Tohru opened her eyes to find herself staring into the curious eyes of Kyo Sohma.
“Leave her be!” Yuki ordered him, looking very much irritated now. “You're annoying her just by looking at her face! She wants to be left alone.”
“Who ask you anyway, rat boy?” Kyo sneered at him, “If you ask me, you're the one who is being a pest!” Then, he turned his eyes back to Tohru. “If you're in some kind of trouble, tell me and no more hiding behind stuff `kay?” His red orange eyes pleaded to her. Behind him, Tohru saw Yuki nodding his head in agreement, secretly smiling at her. For once, she was surprised that they both understood and agreed on something! It was a shame that Kyo missed seeing Yuki for that brief moment or else Kyo would have seriously freaked out!
Tohru had to laugh. It was so unlikely Kyo to be worried and Yuki to be agreeable with Kyo for once! As the old saying goes, `there's always a first time for everything.' Life at the Sohma and living with them for nearly a year can be quite unpredictable. After all, they have lived for generations under a great curse whenever they were transformed into the Zodiac Animals just hugging them by another opposite sex or under a great deal of stress beyond their control.
Kyo and Yuki. Her rock and pillar just like Uo and Hana, her dearest two best friends in the world meant so much to her and kept a special place in her heart. They were her champions and proud to call as her family that she never had.
There was no jealousy or competition over her love for the two boys. She loved them both equally and fairly as if they were her brothers. She would never take advantage of their kindness because they were good people. The Sohma were wonderful people, just misunderstood by others. They spent most of their life hiding away in fear of being misjudged and contempt. No, the Sohma deserved far more better than to be treated with such cruelty and she only hoped that someday they would find happiness especially Hatori, Kyo, Yuki, Haru, Momiji and even for Akito
“I wonder if I should just tell them the news?” Tohru wondered sadly. “I don't want them to start worrying about me but it wouldn't be fair to them if I start to keep things bottled up inside me. I wouldn't be a good friend if I became too selfish. They've been so good to me.”
“Let people know what's on your mind…” She recalled those words what Kyo had spoken to her not so long ago. “It's what you gotta do sometimes…”
“Umm… there is something that I wanted to talk to you about.” She said suddenly, clutching at her school bag nervously. Both Kyo and Yuki stopped dead in their tracks; they gave her a questioning look.
“What's up Tohru?” Kyo asked her curiously.
“If there's anything that's bothering you, Ms. Honda. You know we're here for you.” Yuki said gently.
“Well…uh.. Just in case, you're wondering I won't be going to work anymore.” She announced quietly, “The other night was my last shift. My hours were cut back lately and some of the cleaning staff members were laid off including me.” She told them sadly, avoiding their penetrating gaze. She looked down at her shoes instead.
Kyo remained quiet but Yuki spoke up. “I'm sorry to hear that Ms. Honda but at least you gained some valuable work experience to include in your résumé. I'm relieved in a way that you won't have to go home late at night anymore and you have more time to devote in your studies.”
Kyo scratched his head. “Yeah well… Don't worry about it so much. Stuff like that happens. You're a good worker and you land a better job next time. If you want, we can talk to Shigure for you and see if he can give you a raise or something in the meantime.”
Tohru looked scandalized. “What??? I-I can't let you do that?! I-I mean he might think that I'm asking TOO much.”
Kyo scoffed. “Who cares what he thinks? And besides, you gotta give yourself credit sometimes. You're being way too hard on yourself.”
Yuki smiled at her. “You've earned it, Ms. Honda. You owe it to yourself. The fruits of your labor after a long hard day's work.”
Tohru was speechless. “Th..Thank you so much!” She was at a loss for words, couldn't think of anything else to say.
“Isn't that what friends are for?” Yuki said. Tohru could only nod her head in agreement.
“Cut it out, S-E-R-E-N-A!!!!”
“R-A-Y-E, you evil witch!!”
The three of them jumped in surprise at the same time upon hearing two girls screaming somewhere nearby. It sounded like it was a shouting match. They covered their ears to keep the noise down.
“SHIT!!!” Kyo swore angrily, “What the hell was that? It's so damned annoying. I'd wish they shut up!”
“You're the one to talk! They couldn't be anywhere as worse as you are right now, stupid cat.” Yuki sounded a bit grumpy now. He touched his forehead, feeling an oncoming headache.
“Did you say something you damned rat?!” Kyo's anger exploded, setting his bad mood flaring. “Itching for another fight now are we?”
“Uhh… I think we've better check to see what's going on.” Tohru suggested, intervening before hell lose break between the two boys. “I think those girls might be in trouble, we got to help them!” She said thoughtfully.
“That's the understatement for you.” Kyo mumbled.
“Do as you're told.” Yuki said tiredly. They set foot to locate the two girls quarreling earlier, their loud voices led them to a picturesque temple.
“Wow!! What beautiful temple!” Tohru stood there in awe by its inviting beauty and welcoming presence. It was so peaceful that you could almost feel right at home, magically drawing you inside it. She sensed her spirit calming inside her that she hadn't felt in the longest time. Kyo and Yuki were transfixed as well at the mere sight of the majestic temple.
“Hmm… I don't remember seeing this temple before whenever we pass by from school.” Kyo remarked. “I wonder who's running this joint?” He noted.
“Welcome to Cherry Hill Temple,” Yuki read the tiny inscriptions on both sides of the stone slab.
“What a cute name!” Tohru exclaimed. “I guess we better go inside.” They carefully climbed the agonizing stairs one by one, as soon as they arrived underneath the gatepost. They gasped at the shocking sight…
The two girls who were arguing before they were covered in dirt and their clothes in disheveled state. They were lying on the ground as if they've been rolling their bodies around. Their arms and legs entangled at each other in an uncomfortable position. They looked like a pair of cat and mouse trying to kill each other. A moment of awkward silence passed between them, seeing Tohru and the two boys dropping by the temple unexpectedly.
Kyo burst out laughing, “What the hell are you guys doing? Trying to pound and wrestle each other?” The girls blushed in embarrassment, scrambling to get on their feet.
Yuki gave him a hostile look. “Please excuse his rudeness, it's usually best to ignore him.” He said kindly.
Tohru approached them slowly. “I hope you guys are alright?” She asked them worriedly, squatting down next to them.
“We're fine. Thanks for asking. I'm sorry about all this.” The black-raven haired girl replied apologetically. She got up and dusted some dirt off from her kimono. “Hi, I'm Raye Hino and this is my friend, Serena Tsukino. Thanks for stopping by Cherry Hill Temple.” She bowed her head down respectfully and clasped her hands together. Serena did the same in return.
“I'm very happy to meet you Raye and Serena.” Tohru responded with enthusiasm. “I'm Tohru Honda and these are my two friends, Yuki and Kyo Sohma. They're both cousins.” She explained.
“It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Ms. Hino and Ms. Tsukino.” Yuki greeted them with his sunny smile. Kyo just snorted in response, staring at the two girls very rudely.
“What's the matter, Kyo? Cat got your tongue?” The black haired girl named Raye sent him a challenging tone; her eyes glittered dangerously.
Dammit, this girl is asking for it. Boy, she sure is temperamental. She has a foul mouth as much as Yankee does and a temper to match like Kagura. He wasangry but quite surprised by her bold actions daring to contradict him. She wasn't the type of a cowardly girl like most others retreating from a fight. “Nah, Just forget about it.” He said moodily.
Serena giggled and poked Raye on the side. “Hey Raye, you sure made friends with him fast. Who knows? This guy might be your prince charming.” She whispered jokingly.
Not if he's the last person I would want to end up with. “Give me a break Serena! You've been reading those rotten cheap romance paperback novels.” Raye muttered and then she proceeded to do her Shinto priestess duties attending to her guests. “So, what can I do for all of you today? Does anyone have any special requests or to be prayed over?” She asked in a reserved manner, her eyes swept pass over them.
“Well…I do,” Tohru stammered. “I…I recently lost my job.” She babbled incoherently. Raye gave a sympathetic smile sensing Tohru quivered.
She looks so fragile and vulnerable just standing there. Raye felt the urge to give this poor girl a hug. She seemed to be troubled and in need of a friend to talk too…
“I wouldn't worry about it. I have feeling your prayers may be answered soon.” Raye said encouragingly. She caught a glimpse of hopeful expression on Tohru's face. I wonder if I could talk my way into hiring another person in the temple. We could sure use another hand since I've been too busy with school and being as Sailor Mars.
“Well, we can do a short offering prayer and then ring the bell over there.” Raye suggested, pointing to a small shrine at the very center of the temple with its tiny bells clung by a rope.
Tohru nodded her head in understanding, her face brightened with determination. “Sure, lead the way.”
“Good,” Raye was glad to see her more cheerful. Out of the corner of her eyes, she spotted Chad in his overalls carrying a duffel bag slung over his shoulders. He walked passed by her, their eyes briefly gazed at each other as if nothing occurred. The tension was there but she decided to ignore it. His face looked sad and withdrawn.
“Hey Chad, where you heading off too?” Serena asked him curiously, acting in her usual goofy self. When he didn't respond, Serena became offended by his rudeness. “That was just rude! What's up with him? Raye, did you two got into a fight again?” Slightly miffed, she watched him disappeared from the distance.
“Not now Serena,” Raye hissed. No explanations given, she didn't want to risk embarrassing herself again in front of strangers especially with Kyo hovering nearby.
“Huh, what?” Serena was confused.
“About Chad - he's not coming back, Serena.” Raye quietly answered her, leaving Serena in total shock. With her final words, Raye led her guests towards the small shrine…
 
oooooooooooooooo
 
“Aww… hot.” Serena greedily took a sip of her hot green tea, nearly burned the tip of her tongue. Clumsy by nature, she took great care not to spill the contents from her cup placing it down on the shiny clean floor. After a few moments of lapsed silence, Serena summoned all of her courage and opened her mouth to speak. “Raye?”
Raye acknowledged her by turning her head sideways and Serena saw the shame in Raye's eyes. Serena felt a deep pain in her chest like a knife piercing through her heart, distressed over her best friends' troubles.
It was Raye's turn to sigh. She might as well tell Serena the truth. No matter how annoying Serena could be sometimes, she was always there for her through bad and good times. She was never used to this closeness to anyone sharing her most inner thoughts and feelings until Serena came into her life. Feelings of guilt and sorrow completely washed over her, trying to find the right words to say not looking like a complete fool in front of her best friend. It was her own fault that drove Chad out of her life for good, inevitably hurting herself in the process.
“I supposed you have every right to think of me as a bitch for dumping Chad so coldly.” Raye began. “I know he didn't deserve this. But it's for the best…” Her voice trailed off.
“So you're saying you don't love him anymore is that it?” Serena carefully asked her, trying to understand Raye's predicament. Dealing with the matters of the heart was a sensitive issue to Raye and for once, Serena didn't want to accuse or offend Raye in a way to have her temper blowing things out of proportion.
“If I didn't care about him so much, then I wouldn't let him go would I? Raye's voice cracked with emotion, tears shimmered in her eyes. She fought back the tears that threaten to fall at any given moment. Crying in front of her best friend was a sign of weakness; she was too proud and stubborn succumbing to her traitorous feelings. “The truth of it all, I had to let him go and let him find his own happiness. I've been too selfish and ignorant for so long. I want him to be happy.”
“Oh Raye,” Serena quickly gathered Raye in her arms, giving her a hug that Raye needed comforting at this difficult time.
Their tearful moment was soon disrupted, alerting them a discreet knock on the doorway. As it slid opened, revealing Grandpa Hino standing in the hallway. “Phone call for you, Raye. A girl named Tohru Honda wants to talk to you.” He stoically announced, stepping aside.
“Thanks grandpa, I'll be right over.” Raye thanked him although there was still sadness shown on her face. Her grandfather was visibly upset as she was due to Chad's sudden departure. She knew that her grandfather was clearly avoiding her and they were not on speaking terms until she found a way to be on his good graces again. Eventually, the old man would returned back to his old stubborn ways forgiving his only granddaughter in no time. She crossed her fingers for luck.
“I'll be back in a minute ok?” Raye stood up as she ran towards the door leaving Serena by herself.
I wonder where Raye kept all the new Sailor V stuff. Serena thought mischievously to herself…
The telephone wasn't too far to reach conveniently located in the hallway near the guest rooms. “Raye speaking?” Raye spoke as soon as she picked up the receiver.
A slight paused. “Hi Raye, it's me Tohru Honda. I hope I'm not intruding…”
“Oh hi Tohru. Not a problem,” Raye reassured her. She felt her insides softened hearing Tohru's hesitant voice. Tohru reminded her so much of Amy and Hotaru's shyness radiating sweetness from within. It was hard to believe that Tohru could actually be friends with a brash, loudmouth Kyo Sohma. He was by far the most infuriating guy that she dealt with during their unpleasant encounter this afternoon. How could she'd been this stupid stooping below to his level? It was beyond humiliating. Snapping back to reality, Raye continued. “I'm glad you called. I was just thinking about you after you left the temple. I wish I could have done more other than praying you over.” She said sincerely, almost sounding apologetic.
“I can't thank you enough for all the trouble you done for me.” Tohru said shyly. “I feel much more better now. I just need to think positive from now on like you told me.”
Raye wholeheartedly agreed with her, “That's helpful too. But being confident, believing in yourself counts too. It's a good habit to start practicing praising yourself once in awhile but don't over do it.” Much to her annoyance, she thought of arrogant Kyo Sohma mocking spitefully at her. What could she possibly be thinking about this loser?
To her surprise, she heard Kyo's loud voice in the background. “Hey Tohru, don't forget Science trip tomorrow!”
Kyo Sohma??? What the hell?? “Tohru? How come Kyo's with you?!” Raye's voice filled with suspicion as she questioned her. What's that pervert doing alone with Tohru???
“Oh hold on just one second. Raye,” Tohru excused herself. There were some scuffling noises about. Tohru must have covered the mouthpiece of out respect and privacy. Raye couldn't help but eavesdropped. To her satisfaction, she was able to hear a bit of their conversation.
“Thanks Kyo, looking forward to the trip tomorrow!”
“Yeah well, just remember to bring a list with you this time. You know how you spaced out sometimes…”
Just like Serena… Unknowingly, Raye giggled loudly on the phone.
“Huh, who the hell you talking too? She's got an annoying laugh.”
Raye clenched her fists angrily in response, trying to calm her nerves down. What an asshole!
“Oh, it's Raye.”
“What?! Why you'd wasting your time talking to cocky bitch like her?!”
“Then why are you even wasting your breath talking about me if you hate me that much, loser?!” Raye countered, nearly shouting over the phone. Alarmed, she quickly recovered. “I'm so sorry Tohru. I wasn't yelling at you.” She apologized, clearly embarrassed at her brazen behavior. She never met anyone quite as prickly as Kyo Sohma.
“I-It's okay, Raye… You just caught me off guard that's all. No need to apologize.” Tohru replied sincerely.
“What in hell? Why are you even listening woman? This ain't your business?!” Kyo sounded pissed but Raye couldn't care less. The last thing she heard Kyo grunting and running up the stairways. Their heated fight was over, settling normally back to peace and order.
“Wow, I had no idea you lived with him. Talk about his attitude problem. I feel sorry for you.” Raye shook her head in disgust.
“Well he's not like that once you get to know the real Kyo. I guess he can be pretty blunt but it doesn't bother me.” Tohru said fondly. Raye detected a genuine admiration notas crush but more of a brotherly type.
“I've been living and working as a part-time housekeeper for him, Yuki and Shigure Sohma for over a year now.” Tohru explained. “With my parents gone except for my grandfather, I've decided to stay with the Sohma and it's my real home now.”
“I can't believe your working for HIM too!” Raye exclaimed, “Hope he's NOT giving all that trouble.”
Tohru laughed. “No worries, he doesn't really. Although, I get the impression you don't like Kyo do you?”
“I don't really know him that well,” Raye admitted. “He just gets under my skin… Oh, speaking of which. I was wondering if you're interested working part-time at the temple for us? If you are, I could speak to my grandpa about it?”
“S-S-Sure…. I liked that very much…” Tohru was stunned. “You're been very kind to me, Raye… Thank you so much.”
“Glad I brought it up or else, I may have forgotten all about it.” Raye said happily. She had a feeling that she and Tohru were going to be good friends from now on. “Oh did mention you know Shigure Sohma?!” It couldn't be a mere coincidence.
“Umm… yeah…” Tohru sounded reluctant over the phone. Oh, I hope he didn't….
“Well actually, my friends and I met him and his other friends - I think it was Ayame and Dr. Hatori Sohma a few nights ago.” Raye was gossiping away. “They were hitting on my friend, Trista. They were very charming and gentlemen especially Dr. Sohma. He seemed to like her…”
I'm glad Hatori is meeting new people. He deserved to be happy. “Hatori is a kind-hearted person and a very good doctor. But his work keeps him occupied most of the time.” Tohru revealed.
Hmmm… sounds just like Trista. I wonder if it's even possible… “Is…is he seeing someone right now?” Raye was mildly curious, maintaining her innocence as possible.
“No, he did have a serious girlfriend once at the point of them getting engaged but it didn't worked out.” Tohru said sadly. Raye felt much more relieved. She didn't mean to pry but as a concern friend, she never wanted to see Trista being fooled by a player. Not that a normal relationship would have been possible for the time guardian to pursue. Raye felt saddened by it and guilt of taking advantage her ex-boyfriend's kindness. She loved him truly though it was hard for her to let him go.
“It's funny how by fate or coincidence we just happen to meet in the right places...” Raye said thoughtfully. “It seemed to be connected with the Sohma family…”
“Ah yeah, small world isn't it?” Idly, Tohru twiddled her fingers around the phone cord strands. If you only knew the truth…
Chapter 1 ends… to be continued…