Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Italian Amore ❯ Vol. One/Chap. Nine: Mother ( Chapter 9 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

The show was a huge success. Lena and Angela outdid themselves this year. But, they didn't rest there at all. The next event was coming up. It was Mother's Day at Rome University. All of the students were preparing gifts for their mothers. Yuri was confused by all of this.
“What's going on?” she asked Madison as she hurried by with a bouquet of lilies. The young musician turned to the new girl.
“This is all for Mother's Day!” she exclaimed. Yuri looked at her confused.
“Mother's Day?” she asked.
“That's right,” Madison replied.
“But,” Yuri spoke up again. “Isn't that only celebrated in May in America?” Madison turned to her smiling.
“Yes,” she replied. “But we always choose to honor mom in the first day of September here at Rome University.” Yuri was intrigued by all of this.
“Really now?” she asked.
“Yes,” Madison said. “You getting anything for your mother?” The new girl looked at her confused.
“Uh…” she said. “I don't know what to get her…” Madison smiled at Yuri kindly. She patted her on the shoulder with her free hand.
“Don't worry, Yuri!” the musical pixie called. “You'll think of something. The new girl smiled at her gently.
“Thanks Madison,” she said with a smile. The musical pixie smiled back at her.
“You're welcome!” she called. Then, Madison went back to work. Yuri watched in silence. She felt displaced again for some reason.
 
Mother
 
For the rest of the day, Yuri's mind was preoccupied. She couldn't focus at all today. Her mind was on home. She missed her mother so much. It had been half a month since she had been transferred to Rome. The girl barely had any time to talk to mother on the phone. Home was on her mind. It always had been since she first came here. She missed Japan and her mother so much. Now, Mother's Day was coming up quickly. That was a day to celebrate mother. Everyone here was getting their mothers gifts, calling their mothers, visiting their mothers, or e-mailing them. This Mother's Day called for so much. Yuri just didn't know where to start.
Getting gifts is such a headache. It is a trick to get that special person a gift without spoiling it for them. That was only half of the problem. But was the gift the only problem?
By Music Theory, Yuri came to a realization. She missed home so much. The girl didn't even want to go to Rome in the first place. Yuri would've been happy at a community university. But, her mother had other plans. She wanted her daughter to reach higher than her hometown. Her mother saw her daughter as a better and younger version of herself. Yuri's problem was that she was too content with life. She never expected too much at all. Yuri was just happy to be alive.
That wasn't enough for her mother. Yuri lived a sad existence in her eyes. Shoji-san waited for years for her daughter to wake up one day and rise above. By Yuri's senior year in high school, her changing on her own was not going to happen. So, Shoji-san took matters into her own hands. Thus, the woman filled out the application to Rome University. One school year later, Yuri was here. But why? Her mother wanted her to be nothing but the best. It was unexpected. It was… so lonely. Why did she have to be so far away from home?
“Hey Yuri!” someone called out to her as she was heading back to her dorm. The girl looked up to see Makoto running up to her. The new girl gave her a sad little wave. The transfer student made it right over to her. She noticed that sad look on the other girl's face.
“Yuri,” she said. “”What's wrong?” The new girl turned to her looking worried. She sighed once and shrugged.
“I don't know what to get mama for Mother's Day.” she said. “I keep drawing up blanks.” Makoto smiled at her kindly.
“It's okay,” she said to her. “You don't have to buy her a gift.” Yuri looked at her confused.
“I don't?” she asked. Makoto shook her head as she smiled at her. She lightly put her arm around the new girl.
“In fact,” Makoto said in a whisper. “A simple phone call works fine for overseas.” Yuri looked at her slightly surprised.
“Really?” she asked.
“Yeah!” Makoto said nodding. Right then, Yuri began to smile. The good old cloud of worry was lifted away. The girl could breathe again.
“Thanks Makoto!!!” she called out. The other girl smiled back at her.
“Glad to help!” she called. And with that, Yuri walked all the way back to dorm. That evening, she sat on her bed with her cell phone in her hand. The girl took in a deep breath and dialed home. For once, Yuri felt back in place again.
Long Distance