Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Waking Ami ❯ Beginnings Part One ( Chapter 4 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Waking Ami

"Beginnings, Part One"

Poepah@yahoo.com

Dear Diary,

I am shocked. That is the only word to describe what I am feeling right now, complete and utter shock. I am number one. Number one in all of Japan!!! Well, for this test anyway. I guess those all nighters before the test really paid off.

Or did they? I am starting to wonder about that. Lately Asagai-sensei has been giving me some extremely difficult work. Looking at it, there is no way I should know how to work it, let alone get correct answers. Time and time again I get them right though. It is almost like while I am working a problem, or trying to understand something I start to recognize it, even if I have never seen that material before. It is really strange. All I can say is that mom will be very happy!!

Speaking of mom, I have only been able to spend three days with her this last month. Well, one full day and two mornings. Mom looks very tired. When I talk about my studies and how much I am enjoying it, she perks up. I do not want to impose on her, but she already stated that my happiness is her happiness, so there is no way she would give up the extra job to pay for my school. I still miss her though, a lot.

Then there is Asagai-sensei. I was so worked up over trying to impress her; I think it is a safe bet to say I did that and then some. It was quite funny the way we found out, funny and strange. Sensei is 99% of the time very cold and reserved. Today, she calls the three of us into her office again. Last time she sat at her desk calm and stoic, making all of us extremely nervous. This time, she leaves us there to get something from the mailbox. Speaking of that, I wonder how she knew it would be in there.

Back to my story, so she leaves, and when she returns she actually has a smile on her face! She practically skipped into her office! Asagai-sensei, the woman who is so cold and strict that the entire class is torn between fear and respect for her. As she opened the packet she got from the mail, she wore one of the cutest smiles I could possibly imagine coming from her. Actually that was the only smile I had ever seen coming from her. Not only that, but for those few minutes it seemed like she was a totally different person.

I think perhaps that she was more excited about the test results than we were, well almost. I know when she finally told us our scores all of us were surprised. First off, it was a VERY long test. I believe it was close to one thousand questions long, covering a vast amount of subjects. First was Sanhiro's score, he placed 98 over all. Then came Hanoii who placed 172. And last came my score.

To describe Asagai-sensei's face as comical when she found it would not be doing it justice. First she had this really serious look on her face, like she normally does. Then her eyes bug out and she gasps for a moment before grinning and giving me my placement, number one. I think at that moment I actually saw warmth in her eyes, it was a very surreal experience. Especially since not two minuets later she is once again stone faced and all business. She even looked irritated, like her behavior was a slip in her everyday façade. I wonder if that is true? Does my teacher really have two different sides to her?

Thinking on what I just wrote, I think you can say that everyone has at least two sides to them. Take me for example; when I am alone I usually feel for lack of a better word, empty. It subsides a little when I am studying or writing in you. Aside from that though I am usually really… depressed. Then when I am with my mom, I am happy. At school I think it is a mixture of the two, or maybe I just drown myself in studying. Asagai-sensei's curriculum can easily do that.

What I am trying to say is, I wonder if that is how sensei is. Stern and cold at work, then lively and happy at home. I just cannot imagine that though. Today was freaky enough, freaky in a good way though. It is nice when someone that everyone refers to as inhuman shown a bit of humanity.

I am going to sleep now; I left a note for mom telling her to wake me up when she gets home. I am looking forward to telling her the good news!

July 18,1992

__________________________________________________________

"She did it, she placed number one!! I can't believe it. Just think less than half a year ago she was just a mediocre student, and now she's number one." Juni excitedly spun around her office clutching a copy of the test results in her hand.

::You make it sound like we had something to do with it, when you know just as well as I do that we didn't.::

Juni stopped spinning and took a seat at her desk. "Ah, but don't you see? That is exactly why I am so excited. We knew that she had potential, and she is surpassing our expectations everyday. This just makes me think more that she could be akin to us in some way. After all, you said yourself that there was some kind of odd energy around her. That's why we haven't been feeding off of it as we do the others right?"

::Actually it's because you refused to let me. And, just because she is extremely intelligent does not mean she is akin to us.::

Juni smiled to herself ready to remind her companion of something she had said a while ago. "So, do you think we could teach her in private like we had discussed earlier? Is the thought of working with someone of her obvious intelligence still appealing to you?" The young teacher smirked as she mimicked her companion's words, spoken over a month ago.

::You speak of your protégé idea?::

"Of course." Juni's excitement was building, as she could tell her companion was VERY interested. "We could tell her mother that we would be willing to privately tutor her daughter on our off time. If she wonders why we just say that we can't pass up the opportunity to work with someone with so much potential. And naturally we would do this for free, that way she has no argument."

::I am curious. I know what I want to get out of this, what do you?::

Juni blushed slightly before answering, a little embarrassed. "Well, you can study her to see what she is. In the mean time we get to help shape what's destined to be one of the strongest minds of our time."

::And?::

Juni looked down at her hands that were placed in her lap. She was silent for a moment before answering. "And… And, I'm lonely ok?"

::Lonely?:: This was obviously not what Juni's companion expected her to say.

"Yes, lonely! With the exception of the night we went clubbing a month ago, I haven't been able to interact with anyone. To guard are secret, remember? Like you didn't stress that to me a million times after we first bonded."

::It is a necessary precaution.::

"I KNOW THAT!" Juni shouted back at the voice only she could hear. "That's why I want this so much. Yes, she is still a teenager, and yes she will still be a student. But, here is a chance, even if it is a slim one to be able to make a friend with someone like me."

::You wish to befriend the girl?:: Again Juni's companion was caught off guard by Juni's reply. Her immediate thought was to forbid it, but after a second of rationalization she understood that this could make her host happy. That would after all be beneficial to her. A depressed host would do her little good, and would likely wear on her energy.

::You realize the risk you will be taking? That the girl could just be a normal human, one who would be afraid if she found out what you really are. Are you willing to chance that?::

"Yes." Juni calmly answered without hesitation. "I would risk anything for the chance to find someone I could spend even part of my eternity with."

::Very well.::

Juni's face lit up as a full smile graced her features.

::There are conditions.::

"Name them."

::First, if I find that she is just a regular human we will stop tutoring her immediately no questions asked. Second, if she is something different and somehow finds out about us and reacts poorly to it, I will have to erase her memory of us. In addition I will erase your memory of her.::

"Ok." Juni timidly answered, the fact that her companion could do something like that was very unnerving. She could not help but wonder if she had done it before.

::Before you answer, to do this I need an extreme amount of energy. To acquire that much energy, I will have to completely drain the life force of a healthy human. Preferably one who is in their late teens or early twenties.::

Juni's companion paused for a moment, letting what she said sink into her hosts mind. ::Now, are you still willing to do this? Are you willing to risk the life of one of your fellow humans?::

"Yes." Juni answered in a soft voice, tears were gently streaming down her face. "May the gods forgive me."

::Very well, tomorrow morning we will approach the Mizuno's with our proposition.::

________________________________________________________

The next morning couldn't come fast enough for Juni. The twenty-three year old teacher was awash in a childlike excitement that colored everything she did. Nothing, not even the thought of what could happen would dampen her spirits. Her breakfast was better; the sunrise was more beautiful, even the drive to her office was enjoyable. Even her workout was approached with a new sense of dedication; the two and a half hours flew by in a haze of wishful thoughts.

After her shower, Juni stood in front of the floor length mirror in her private shower room. She had been nitpicking over what she was going to wear for the past half-hour. She finally decided (with a bit of prodding from her companion to hurry up) on a platinum gray blazer. Under that was a classic black bustier, not racy or revealing just enough to draw a little attention. The look was completed with hand pressed pants that matched the blazer.

Smiling with satisfaction, Juni applied just a hint of makeup to complement her naturally striking looks. The final touch was a small silver chain, which held an empty antique locket. It took another few minutes for her to style her hair. She decided on a classic teacher's bun. A bit conservative, but it fit her well.

With a final glance in the mirror a light blush graced the young teacher's features. "Aaah, you would think I was getting ready for a date or something." Now a bit flustered, Juni forcibly calmed herself a bit into a more professional mindset. Even hidden, her excitement was still there.

Fifteen minuets later Juni was in her car on her way to the Mizuno's apartment. Her companion had argued that they should have called first, but Juni had insisted that it would be best to do this in person, and not over the phone. Her companion just stopped commenting then, correctly realizing that her host was totally driven on this idea and would not listen to her anyway.

________________________________________________________________

Ami was casually lounging on the large sofa in her living room. She was currently half way through a translated book of philosophy, and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. The young girl was in the middle of taking a big drink of milk when the doorbell chimed. Ami had to fight the urge to spray the milk out her nose she was so startled. The entire time that she had lived there no one had ever come to visit.

She called out a muffled greeting as she frantically searched for something to put on over her boxers and t-shirt that she wore. Finally finding something halfway presentable she hurried to the door, looking through the peephole to see who could have possibly come to her home. Ami was more than a little startled to see the image of her cram teacher standing on the other side.

As Ami opened the door, Juni was about to greet her when she saw the girl and her words were momentarily caught in her throat. Juni's companion mentally smirked at the few thoughts that flashed through her hosts mind. The smirk disappeared when she started sharing a few of them. The site of a rumpled Ami in an oversized button up shirt and shorts was just too cute.

Ami stood in the doorway for a second before greeting her teacher and welcoming her into her home. "Please have a seat Asagai-sensei, I will be back in a moment." Ami looked more than a little embarrassed and uncomfortable as she retreated into the back rooms.

Juni removed her shoes at the doors entrance, before making her way to the couch Ami had directed her to. Assuming that Ami went to get her mother, the young teacher sat patiently while taking in the room around her. It was very neat to say the least, with the small exception of an open book and a half eaten sandwich. Curious Juni reached out to see what book she had interrupted with her arrival.

"Plato's complete works?" Juni was more than a little impressed that her student was already reading the works of one of histories greatest philosophers.

::If she enjoys that, we should teach her to read it in Greek. Too much is lost in the Japanese translation.:: Juni's companion was startled to find that she was actually looking forward to that. When she had originally agreed to this project, it was more out of curiosity. That she might enjoy it never even crossed her mind.

Having a few more minutes before Ami came back Juni finished taking in the room. It was sparsely furnished. One large couch, a near wall length shelf filled with books, a small coffee table, and the easy chair she was sitting on were the only pieces of furniture. No knickknacks or other adornments cluttered the room, with the exception of three pictures placed in a central cubby on the giant shelf.

Curious Juni found herself walking over to examine them. One was of a really young Ami and her mother smiling happily at the beach. The school photo of Ami surprised Juni, as she never pictured her student with long hair before. She thought for a moment on how much cuter it looked now, before she mentally kicked herself for her musings. The final picture was of two women one of which was Ami's mother. The two were either in an extremely friendly, or a rather intimate embrace.

Juni's curiosity was piqued, but her musings were cut short when Ami returned to the living room. Embarrassed at having been snooping around Juni returned to her seat.

"Sorry about my appearance earlier, I was not expecting company." Ami had changed into different clothes and had fixed her once tousled hair. Now the young girl wore a black long sleeved turtleneck, and a long dark pink skirt.

"No, it's my fault I should have called first." Juni blushed slightly, and mentally apologized to her companion.

Ami noted the blush and filed it away for future thought on her teacher's personality. "Sensei, would you like some tea? I put some water to boil before I came out here."

"I would love a cup, thank you. By the way, is your mother home? I have something I would like to propose to the two of you."

Ami poked her head out from the kitchen; having gone to get the tea while her teacher was speaking. "Mom works all the time, it is very rare that she gets any time off these days."

Ami returned to the living room with a tray holding two mugs and a doily to rest them on. After handing one to her teacher she sat down on the corner of the couch where her forgotten breakfast and book were. "I am sorry you did not catch her, if you want though, I can listen to what you wanted to say, unless you want us to hear at the same time."

Juni noticed that Ami seemed more confident at home; speaking was a lot easier for her. Of course it could have been that Juni's personality was in control and thus her companion's natural presence wasn't making her nervous like it normally did most people.

Not wanting to wait, Juni decided to tell Ami now and let the girl help schedulable some time for her to talk with her mother. "First off, I want to say congratulations on your placement in the exam. Seeing as that you were only under my tutelage for four days I think it's safe to say that you did that completely on your own."

Ami was already blushing at the praise, she started to look down, but found herself gazing at her teacher instead.

"Due to your placement, and the way you have been handling all the work I have been providing you with over the last month, I believe that my normal class would do you little good."

Ami started to get a nervous look on her face, thinking that her teacher was about to say she had no place for her.

Noticing her look of apprehension Juni hurriedly continued on. "What I am saying, is that I would like to privately tutor you. You would still be going to my cram session, but any free time you are willing to donate, would be spent with me, learning."

"I would love that." Ami had a hopeful look upon her face, which turned into one of disappointment. The young teen's gaze fell to the ground, not able to look her teacher in the eyes anymore. "My mom, has to work overtime just to pay for your classes now, there is no way we could afford to pay."

Juni cut Ami off there. "Payment is not an issue, I want to due this for free."

"Free?" Ami held a look of surprised disbelief. "But, why I…"

"You are a brilliant young woman, who over the past month has been working on material equivalent to those three years into college." Juni smiled gently at Ami's look of utter bewilderment. "You are able to solve anything I throw at you, so I would like to try a different approach. I would like to teach you whatever you would like to learn."

"What do you mean whatever I would like to learn?"

As it started to edge more to that of learning and teaching, Juni's companion took over the conversation. "Exactly that Miss Mizuno. What is it that you always wanted to learn, but didn't know where to start? I can teach any available subject in current college curriculums, or I can tech you things relevant to a certain field. Medicine, Physics, Biology, Astrology, Psychology, Anything you desire. Perhaps you've wanted to learn new languages? I can teach you any of these things Ami. So tell me, what is it you would like to learn?"

________________________________________________________________

Dear Diary,

I just had the most incredible day. My sensei came to visit my home. That was shocking enough, but the reason for the trip was even more surprising. She wants to tutor me. Not only that, I get the impression that she wants to be a type of mentor to me. She has offered to teach me anything I wish to know from languages, and schoolwork to work skills. And all of this she would do for free.

All I need to do is be ready to learn when she picks me up for the days tutoring. That would be interesting, She teaches different classes from 2:30-10:00 and usually has appointments starting at noon. That means I would have to be ready by at least 9:00 to get any decent time in. I think that she would prefer an earlier start though. It is almost like she is more excited about this than I am. And trust me that is near impossible.

Of course starting early would not bother me; I would be up by four if I had to. Which would not be so bad, considering mom leaves at four-thirty. She would even be willing to work with me on weekends.

Naturally when I told mom about this she was all for it. I had called her at work, and luckily got a hold of her while she was at the hospital. She had a few questions, but she said she would set up an appointment to speak with Asagai-sensei right away. I am not sure when that will be though.

Speaking of sensei, I noticed a few things today. Well, let me start at the beginning. First off, I was completely mortified when I answered the door in the equivalent of my underwear. Actually it was my mom's pajamas. It was the first thing I could find though, and I did not want to keep whomever it was waiting. I was pretty excited about that, especially since I do not even remember the last time mom or I had a guest over at our house.

After I let sensei in I had to change and make myself a little more presentable. I wanted to look good; I have never been able to be a host before. To have a guest over and be able to play the perfect hostess to them, I think has been a secret little dream of mine. Childish I know, but no one ever came over before so I wasn't going to miss out on the opportunity.

I think in a way that helped me with my confidence when I talked to sensei. Usually I cannot get myself to look at her; I just get shy or nervous. But today being wrapped up with playing hostess, I forgot all about that and was able to seriously look at her for the first time. I have seen her before of course, but this is the first time I have been able to look her in the eyes while we had a conversation. It was an interesting experience.

The thing that surprised me most about sensei today, was that she was not anywhere near as intense or cold as she normally is. Well at least at the start of or conversation, towards the end though, when she was telling me about everything I could learn it was like she became another person. Her eyes just became super focused and intense. Worth noticing though, was that even then she did not seem cold in the slightest bit today (except at class, I could swear she has a split personality). I even saw her blush once!! She was so cute.

After sensei had told me about her idea, she wanted to know what I thought about everything. While we were discussing this and things I would like to learn she seemed, well friendly. Her eyes lit up a bit and she smiled a lot while we were talking. I think she should do that more often. Sensei has a beautiful smile. It was infectious too; I do not think I have ever smiled that much around anyone except mom before.

At class today everything seemed business as usual. There was not even a hint of the friendliness that sensei showed when she visited me. I think that should be expected though. If she acted different around me, then others would think she was playing favorites. I have enough problems getting along with my peers then having to deal with being labeled the teacher's pet.

I think that I am as equally excited to learn more about Asagai-sensei, as I am about studying under her. I wonder what it is about her that fascinates me so much. Well, I think I will find out, we will be spending a lot of time together this summer.

Oh my gosh!!! I should think about what I want to start learning. I always wanted to speak English fluently, and some of the best schools are in Germany and the United States. Maybe I should start by learning one of those languages. I hope sensei is good with them.

July 19, 1992

__________________________________________________________

Ami Mizuno tossed and turned for the better part of ten minuets before deciding that she wasn't going to fall back asleep. A satisfying feeling raced through her as she stretched away the kinks accumulated while sleeping. Getting out of bed the young Mizuno padded across the room to where her alarm rested on her desk. Not being able to read the numbers, Ami felt around for her glasses. Vision returned to her as she donned her stylish wire frames. They were a surprise from her mother after she declared that she would not be wearing contacts anymore.

Looking at the alarm, Ami groaned. ::Three fifty-five? Yuck! And now I am already awake for the day. Hey, mom should be awake.::

Smiling slightly to herself Ami made her way to the kitchen hoping to spend some time with her mother before she left for work. The girl was more than a little surprised, when she walked into the dinette and found her mother talking to someone. Surprise turned into pure mortification as both women turned to look at her. One of them being her sensei.

Ami stood there for a moment in stunned embarrassment. As frumpy as she was yesterday when her sensei had arrived, she didn't even look half as bedraggled as she did now. She was wearing a long t-shirt that she had swiped from her mom; her legs and feet remained bare, and were currently turning an interesting shade of red along with the rest of her body.

"Good morning honey, I didn't expect you to be awake so early. But, since your up, why don't you go freshen up then come down to join us. Your sensei is telling me all about her offer." Ayanee smiled gently as her daughter instantly bolted from the room.

When Ami had walked in on their conversation, the only thing that kept Juni from having a similar reaction to that of her student was the fact that her companion was in full control. And when SHE was in full control, it was near impossible to faze her. Even when an incredibly cute rumpled looking Ami walked in on their conversation with her mother.

Ami for her part had run to the bathroom to clean up. Her embarrassment reached even new heights as she took in her disheveled appearance. She still looked half asleep, and her hair was a tousled mess. Ami, since she cut her hair had stated to wake up with some serious bed head, and this morning it was really bad.

After washing up and brushing out her hair, Ami rummaged around for something to wear. She ended up finding a simple baby blue summer dress, with a light green belt. It was fifteen minuets later by the time she made it out to the living room.

Her mother was sitting on the couch dressed in her well-kept EMT uniform. It was Juni that once again caught her eye; she was wearing a black double-breasted blazer, which covered a pin tucked white blouse. A matching set of black trousers, and polished black leather loafers completed the look. Today she had pulled her into a ponytail fastened by a silver hair clip. Finally, she wore a pair of sharp stylized black frames, which complemented her sharp features.

"Good morning mom, sensei." Ami timidly took a seat next to her mother, her eyes firmly fastened to the floor. Ami knew that she was still blushing, and hoped that the two adults would ignore her presence and continue on with there conversation.

"I'm sorry to surprise you so early Miss. Mizuno, but this was the best time for me to meet with your mother. Whom by the way seems very receptive to my idea."

Ami quickly looked up at her mom, who smiled brightly at her daughter. "Ami this is an excellent opportunity for you, and I think you should take Asagai-sensei up on it." Ayanee was obviously excited about the idea; she was practically sold on it when Asagai-sensei called her the evening prior. All she needed to convince her was to be able to talk to the woman in person for a few minutes.

"I… I would be honored to study under you Asagai-sensei." Ami didn't know what to say, she was very much aware how good an opportunity this was for her, and if her mom thought so too, then she was defiantly going to jump at it.

"It's decided then. Ms. Mizuno, I know you have to be going to work know, if you do not mind I would like to start your daughters first day now. Tomorrow we will start at a more realistic time, but for today, since we are all awake."

Ayanee turned a questioning glance to her daughter who nodded her head in compliance.

"Very well then, Miss. Mizuno, I will provide a meal for you on the way to my school. You will return here at noon, so you need not bring anything." Juni stood up and prepared to leave. "I will meet you outside I am parked in the guest spaces."

Ayanee and Ami bowed slightly to Juni in thanks.

"Well honey, this is exciting! Have fun today, and learn a lot. If you don't mind I'd like to wake you up tonight so you can tell me all about it." Ayanee hugged her daughter, who happily agreed with her. "Take care honey." Ayanee (who was running a few minutes late) rushed to the door and grabbed her shoes as she hurried down the steps toward her car.

Ami walked through the apartment, making sure that all the lights were off. Satisfied that they were, she walked to the door and slipped on a pair of white shoes before locking up and starting off on a new day.

________________________________________________________

Author's notes

I decided to make this into two chpts. It is starting to get a bit to long.

::Juni's companion's thoughts::

SHE, HER shows references to Juni's companion.