Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Waking Ami ❯ She's What? ( Chapter 3 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Waking Ami

"She's what?"

Poepah@yahoo.com

"Ms. Mizuno, Ms. Hanoii, and Mr. Sanhiro, please see me in my office. The rest of you finish the equation charts on your crystal disks." Juni Asagai opened the door to her classroom, holding it so the three nervous students could follow her. Not saying anything she led them down the hall into her private office, always staying a few paces ahead.

"Hey, do you know what she wants with us? She never called anyone out to her office before." The young man Kenjo Sanhiro whispered to the two girls as they followed their teacher.

Ami shrugged shyly, while the other girl just ignored him completely, afraid that their teacher might overhear anything they said. Kenjo sighed and steeled his nerves ready to face whatever Asagai-sensei threw at him.

The lead teacher at Crystal Academy is well known for having a short temper and has left more than a few students in tears. She is however, an excellent teacher. No one who has taken her course has ever placed under fifty in their graduating classes. That is unless more than fifty from the same school studied under her.

Juni's teaching methods were a mixture of her own design as well as that of her companion. Unfortunately, or fortunately depending how you looked at it, the young teacher's companion was often the dominating one in class. And she has a very small tolerance for many things.

Juni entered her office leaving the door open for her students to enter after her. She took a seat in a heavily cushioned chair situated behind a large oak desk. As she waited for her students to get the nerve to enter, Juni casually flipped a small switch under her desk.

Ami came in first, Kenjo not wanting to appear week followed quickly behind. Their other companion was a bit hesitant but after a moment all three students stood in front of their teacher. Juni stared at them indifferently for a moment.

"Ms. Hanoii, Mr. Sanhiro, the two of you are currently at the top of your class. Ms. Mizuno you are coming from the top of your grade level. That being the case I want to enter the three of you in a national practice exam to see how well my best stack up with the rest of Japan. And in your case," Juni flicked a glance at Ami. "I would like to see your current level."

Juni reached into a drawer and withdrew two folders. She checked the contents and handed them over to both Hanoii and Sanhiro. "Take these and fill them out in the class room. Don't use your disk for the next few days. I will tutor the three of you separately. And don't worry about any fees, I will take care of them." The young teacher turned her gaze to Ami. "The two of you return to your desks. Ms. Mizuno stay for a moment."

"Thank you Sensei." Both students chorused as they bowed slightly and hastily returned to the classroom.

Ami stood silent for a minute, waiting for her teacher to speak. After a moment of silence Ami dared to look up, only to find herself looking directly into the commanding eyes of her teacher.

"Ms. Mizuno, why is it that you hid your genius for so long?"

The question was unexpected and threw Ami completely off guard. She dropped her gaze to the floor and tried to stammer out an answer.

"Please by all means take your time." A hint of irritation shone threw Juni's words. Words, which were a few tones deeper then she could normally speak.

More than a little embarrassed and close to tears Ami could only speak the truth. "I wanted to fit in with everyone, and the smart kids were always treated poorly by the other students." Ami spoke in a quiet voice, almost a whisper.

"And now? What made you want to change?" Juni questioned her new pupil, knowing that she was pushing her to far. She was curious however. And when she was set upon something, it was almost always acquired. In this case it was a small, but also a very important self-observation from her student.

Ami stuttered for a moment, embarrassed and wondering why she had to answer these questions. Even worse, she found herself hoping that she did not disappoint her new teacher with her answer.

"It is because I decided that I did not need anyone to make me happy. That I will do what I want to do, and I do not care anymore what anyone thinks." Again Ami spoke in a soft murmur. She hadn't told anyone this before. It was a simple thing, but it was also a personal thing.

"You still do though don't you."

Ami almost denied it, but realized it was a statement and not a question. Ami chanced a glance at her teacher who still looked directly at her. Again their eyes met, Ami caught a brief look of, annoyance, or perhaps disappointment that crossed her teachers face.

Juni held her students gaze, neither breaking eye contact, Ami because she felt like a deer staring into headlights, Juni because she was trying to get a read on the young prodigal before her.

"Did you know that the disk you were working from today is on a higher level than the rest of my students?"

Ami again was taken off guard by the question.

"All, of my students."

A look of understanding, then amazement crossed Ami's features.

"I will be looking forward to seeing how high you place on the practice exam." Juni handed her student the same folder that she had given the previous two.

"Take this to your desk and fill it out. Remember Ms. Mizuno; you will be working directly with me the next few days. Do not use the crystal disk."

"Y. Yes sensei." Ami barely squeaked out a reply.

"That will be all. Close the door on the way out, I will be there to dismiss the class shortly."

Only then did the daunting teacher drop her penetrating stare. Ami released the breath she didn't know she was holding and quickly exited the room.

_______________________________________________________________< /div>

Dear Diary,

Today I started cram school at Crystal Academy. I have to contain myself, I want to talk about my teacher right away but I need to get down my impression of the school first. So, here it is. I was surprised. Not in the way I was expecting to be though. Mom had described it as a super prestigious school that was highly acclaimed, and had received many awards. Naturally I was expecting something grand. Like a big fancy building, or super strict teachers, or… Well something.

It was completely different than what I had envisioned in my mind. It was a smaller building and it had the feel of a stale office. No personality or character at all. It was just very plain. What the school lacked in looks it made up tenfold in sustenance. I never had such a fulfilling lesson before. I know why now, but that would be jumping ahead of myself again. Most of the practice I did was on a floppy called the crystal disk. Sounds kind of cheesy, but it works. The marks of everyone attending the school are proof to that. Even the students that start week supposedly leave to become the tops of their respective classes.

For the first time since I remember, I was actually challenged by a lesson. Some of the things I had never even seen before, and yet I found a way to puzzle through them. It was fantastic.

Nothing about this school surprised me more than our head teacher, Juni Asagai. She is an extremely intense person, but also very passionate. You can see it when she is in front of the class teaching; she is one who loves her work. Unfortunately she can also be very cold.

She called three of us into her office today. According to one of my classmates this is something she rarely does. I do not even know what I was thinking. I guess I was just afraid that I was going to get into trouble. Turns out she just let us know that we were very good students and she wanted us to take a nationally graded exam. She wants to see where we place with the rest of Japan. Normally I would mot care, but I am finding myself energized by the idea.

My classmates were excused then. When they were gone, Asagai-sensei asked me a few questions that I was totally unprepared for. They were things I did not want to discuss with anyone, much less the equivalent of a total stranger. Yet for some reason I answered her. Not only that, but I actually worried my answers would disappoint her.

I could not really tell what she thought of what I said. I think she looked a little disappointed, but then I could only stand to glance at her for a moment. For some reason I just could not bring myself to look at her. The one time I did she was staring straight at me, I had a hard time breaking her gaze it was like I was caught in her stare.

That all sounds really strange when I write it down, but I just cannot find the right words to describe what I felt.

Of course nothing surprised me more than when she told me that I was working on more advanced material than the rest of her students. That was shock enough, but when she said it the second time made it seem like she was talking about the students in all of her classes. That cannot be right though, I mean she teaches people preparing to go into medical school. There is no way I am on par with them yet.

Maybe if I have the courage I will ask her to clarify. In the mean time, I am going to study hard for this exam. It is strange but the thought of doing poorly and letting Asagai-sensei down is just too much. That would not be an option, I have to do well.

On a side note, I really wish my mom were here. I already miss eating together and spending time with her. It has only been a few days since she started working overtime, but it feels like forever. I have come to rely on her more than I should. She is my only friend after all, as well as my mother.

Speaking of friends, I wish Asagai-sensei were wrong when she said that I still cared what people thought about me. I try not to, and maybe sometimes I really do not. But, for the most part I just try to ignore everyone around me. That way, if I do not notice them, their thoughts and opinions will not affect me. That is my theory anyway.

June 13,1992

________________________________________________________________ __

"Wow that was amazing!" Juni exclaimed to herself after her students and faculty had left for the day.

You mean the Mizuno girl?

"What else? She was able to solve anything we threw at her, and she didn't even realize the level she was working at. I knew she had potential, but I couldn't have known she'd be this brilliant." Juni was spinning around on the chair in her office. After a few spins dizziness took over, so she settled for setting her bare feet on her desk.

"She was working on advanced college material, even I had trouble with that up until…" Juni stopped, not wanting to finish that thought. Even that however was enough to dampen her mood.

Do you resent now, the deal we made?

"No, it's not like that. I just… I just sometimes miss the normalcy of things is all. Sometimes I just miss being me."

I admit sharing your body is a very interesting experience. I swore to myself once that I would never do it.

"What made you change your mind?" Juni leaned further back in her chair waiting for an answer. After ten minuets of silence, she gave up and decided to change the subject. Knowing how private She is, Juni was just thankful whenever a few things were shared with her.

"So, what made you want to try the harder stuff with Ms. Mizuno? I knew she would excel at the high school level, but I didn't even think to push her farther than that."

It was a hunch. I felt something strange when I first met her, something familiar.

Now Juni's interest was fully spiked. In the four plus that they have been together, her companion had never mentioned anything like that before. "Do you think she could be possessed too?"

You are hardly possessed, I only take control when we're teaching or threatened. And in answer to your question, I don't know. I would have to spend more time around her to find out.

"I know!!" Juni jumped out of her seat, and practically skipped to the office closet. Smiling happily she started to sort through some of the clothes that she had left there.

"We could teach her personally. Like after class or something. If she does really well on her exam then we could make her your protégé. Especially if she is kin to you in some way."

I haven't the need for a protégé, but your idea has merit nonetheless. The thought of working with someone of her suspected intelligence is appealing to me.

What are you doing?

Juni laughed as she pulled out a sexy black dress from the closet. "I am getting ready."

I am not going "clubbing" if that is your intent.

"Oh come on, it is not that bad. Besides I am in a good mood and I want to celebrate." Juni grabbed a few things from the closet and headed downstairs to her private gym and shower.

"After all it's not everyday I get to meet a kindred spirit."

If that is what this is about, I don't even know if that's the case. I could easily be mistaken.

"Ha! Forget it you are not spoiling my mood. I am going out and that is final." Sensing that her companion was getting irritated, Juni decided to exploit her companion's one weakness. "Just think of all the energy that will be available to us. You took a little less today, but the people at these clubs always have tons of it. They wouldn't miss just a little."

Hmmm. Very well.

"Alright!!! You won't regret it, I promise. After all worse case scenario, you get bored but you also get your fill of energy. And how many times have you been able to do that recently?"

I can always get my fill of energy. Remember that.

"I know I'm sorry… please stop!" Juni cringed, as images of exactly how her companion would be able to get her "fill" assaulted her mind. They weren't pretty to say the least.

Just a reminder. I control myself out of respect for our partnership, and to keep us out of trouble.

"I'm sorry I… I won't throw that in your face again, I don't know what I was thinking."

Very well.

Juni arrived at the showers and striped out of her work clothes, carelessly leaving a trail on the way to the shower. Taking a second to adjust the water Juni then walked in to the welcoming spray of hot water. "Ahhh, that feels divine."

Indeed

For a few moments both the young woman and her companion were completely distracted from their conversation. The heat of the water so comforting, that everything else was put on hold as they enjoyed this bliss.

_______________________________________________________________< /div>

The days leading to the test passed in a blur for both Ami and Juni, albeit for different reasons.

Ami was caught up in the studying. Her unexplained desire to impress her teacher kept her studying every waking hour leading up to the exam. At her current level that honestly wasn't necessary. But, she wasn`t about to take any chances. Her goal had become to score high enough that Juni Asagai would be not only impressed, but that she would be proud of her as well.

Of particular interest, was the private tutoring Juni had given Ami, and her two classmates. Or more accurately Ami was tutored while the other two were given stacks of questions and problems to work on. Ami was too busy actually learning and enjoying school for the first time to really pay attention to her classmates.

Juni, on the other hand was amazed with the capabilities that her young student was proving to have. Any type of problem she threw at her, Ami would figure out a way to solve it. In the rare occasion when something came up that was impossible to figure out unless it head been explained to you, Juni would give a brief introduction to it and let Ami take it from there. Juni was quickly learning that Ami could easily pass her level of intelligence. That was no mean feat, considering she had an IQ of over 280.

Juni's companion was also thrilled at Ami's potential. Not only that, but now she was positive that her new student had something abnormal about her. Unfortunately, to her great annoyance she could not place what it was. Only that this feeling she was getting from her was very familiar.

The test itself passed by with little fanfare. The three students had gathered in a gymnasium of one of the schools that was sponsoring the exam. Around eighty students showed up to take it from their surrounding district. Eighty was a rather poor turnout. Then again it was the beginning of summer and this wasn't an immensely important exam.

Unconsciously wanting support, the three students sat near each other. Their closeness served to provide them with a sense of camaraderie. Ami wasn't as needy of this as her two classmates. Her inspiration for doing well sat in the front of the gym with a few other teachers. Juni had promised to come and support her students when Ami had tentatively asked, and the other two vehemently agreed with the idea.

Just as nervous and excited about this exam as they were, Juni had readily agreed. Her companion had other ideas, but Juni squashed them telling her to let her give her students support. She reluctantly agreed, but only because it was extremely hard not to be affected by her hosts enthusiasm.

After the test was complete, Juni, (much to her companions chagrin) offered to treat for Ice cream at a local parlor. Once there much of the days stress vanished from the three students. Though Juni's companion was able to take control enough to keep her from having a good time. It was her thought that a teacher should be strict, and stern. Being a friend to ones pupils was not a trait of a accomplished leader.

Thus the days continued. Ami settled into a comfortable routine of studying and chores, Juni continued as if nothing had changed, her normal teaching habits still prevalent. With one small exception, she had created a special course disk for Ami to work with. One that was far more advanced, and didn't let the user suffer the normal "payment" for using the Crystal Disk Method. And that's how the summer passed.

That is until a month later when the test scores were published. Out of fifteen thousand participants, Hanoii, placed in the top three hundred, Sanhiro, in the top two hundred, and Ami Mizuno, was number one.

_____________________________________________________________

Author's notes::

Hey thanks to those who have written me I appreciate the feedback.

The title of this chapter refers to both Juni and her companion as well as discovering Ami's brilliance.

Any use of She Her in bold letters is referring to Juni's companion and not Juni. This chapter was a bit hard to write, as I looked at it more as a filler, well the end of the chapter anyway. The next is already half-done and is flowing smoothly.

To those who liked Waking Mercury more I can only say I'm sorry I will not finish it. This story is the way I originally intended it to be. I had considered returning to WM but after reading it, I saw so many things that I had no clue where I was going with them that it would be impossible to finish without rewriting it.