Sonic Series Fan Fiction / Sonic X Fan Fiction ❯ It Started With A Date ❯ Twinkle Park ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Any character in this story does not belong to me
 
It Started With A Date
 
Amy's POV
 
I made sure I was perfectly ready for tonight. I wanted it to go perfect and if Sonic was coming, then I had to be perfect. I had immediately grabbed the best looking dress I had, similar to my ordinary red dress, but glittery and deep pink. I had swapped my usual red hair band for a deep pink one as I did with my boots. I spent about an hour in the shower, though I questioned if that was enough and I even decided to apply make-up for the occasion. Matching make-up that went with my attire, but not too much of it. Just enough to enhance my looks a little. I smiled at my looks in the mirror. I was dressed to kill. With any luck, I might get Sonic to notice me.
 
I grabbed my handbag, gave myself one last check-over to be sure I hadn't forgotten anything, before going downstairs. I felt like running… Twinkle Park… and Sonic was going to be there. Okay, sure, Tails and Cream were coming too but you can't beat fun with your friends. I settled on the sofa and watched TV for a bit when Cream came in, wearing her usual attire. The same orange dress with that little blue ribbon. Mind you, Cream wasn't looking to impress anyone, was she?
 
She sat next to me, looking at me in awe. “You look really pretty Amy!” she said, pointing out my dress. I smiled, glad that she'd noticed that I had done something with my appearance.
 
“Well, I have to get Sonic to notice me somehow!” I claimed. Cream nodded and looked at her feet. I snuck a side-glance at her. It struck me how nervous she looked at that very moment. Something was up but I didn't want to believe it.
 
Tails walked in at that precise moment with a big grin on his face. He looked like he ordinarily did too, with his gloves and shoes. His two tails swished behind him in clear excitement. “Let's go, Sonic's gonna meet us there,”
 
I got up eagerly, checked myself over before following Tails and Cream, who were whispering. Wanting to know what my two friends were discussing I moved closer but they had obviously noticed me so had instantly stopped. Something was definitely going on but I was so eager to enjoy the evening I didn't let myself question too much. I couldn't wait to meet Sonic there.
 
Tails' POV
 
It's going well. Sonic's going to meet us there. I was sceptical about it, thinking that he might choose to run off instead but he gave me his word he'd be there. Then all we needed to do was have some fun and after about an hour or so, Cream and I would make up an excuse. The only thing that could go wrong was if Sonic runs off when we do.
 
I know though. I just know. Sonic does like Amy and its bloody obvious Amy likes Sonic, possibly to the point of love. But if Sonic liked someone, he wouldn't just come out and say it. He needs help, because he may never tell that special someone how he feels, its just not him. I glance at Cream, who's smiling lightly, but looks a little nervous too.
 
I lean across to her. “You okay?”
 
“Just… can we really pull this off?”
 
I think for a minute and end up shrugging my shoulders, “I don't know Cream but if it does, there'll be two happy hedgehogs tonight.”
 
Cream smiled weakly at me before nodding. Tanaka's going to drive us there so there shouldn't be any complications. There wasn't much to do but wait before Tanaka finally ushered us in the car and drove off.
 
We settled back in the car, gazing as the world passed by. Station Square had finally been prepared from Chaos' attack and everything was nice and normal again. The buildings had been prepared after much work and effort from builders, which meant they got a nice healthy pay rise. Good for them.
 
We were getting nearer to Twinkle Park, I could feel it. I caught sight of Amy reading the leaflet, looking like she could barely contain herself. She was fidgeting an awful lot and had a big wide grin on her face. It sure was a lot better to look at than that girl who had spent half the night crying once thinking that Sonic hated her. Mind you, that was years ago, when we first met Amy. I can remember it like it was yesterday.
 
Sonic and I were test piloting the Tornado after I had given it some adjustments. The winds had picked up and we ended up crashing at a place called Never Lake. We made our way into town to look for help and stopped at a restaurant for some food. And that's when Amy showed up. She had run over with a shocked yet excited look on her face and she had jumped on Sonic, giving him the biggest hug she could muster. Then she began babbling about how she was his biggest fan and how much she loved him and how she had posters of him all over her bedroom wall. The look on Sonic's face that day was priceless.
 
Amy sure had changed from being that little girl wearing that green t-shirt, frilly orange skirt, and quills shaped like Sonic's. She had matured, no longer falling to her knees begging Sonic for a date or marriage. She had even changed her appearance. Her quills now fell around her face like human hair and a red dress with a red hair band and red boots were her attire. She no longer chased Sonic like a child but she waited for him to make the first move, occasionally passing subtle hints for a date or some time together.
 
Finally, we arrived at the park. I hadn't noticed, due to all my thoughts about how Amy had changed from that lovesick little girl into this mature young lady. Man, how time passes by when you're lost in your own thoughts.
 
Tanaka dropped the three of us off and we began waiting for Sonic. Amy and Cream had settled on a nearby bench while I focused my eyes on the watch, like it was the only thing there. Five minutes had past. Then ten minutes. Then fifteen minutes.
 
“Sonic where ARE you?” I growled.
 
Sonic's POV
 
I can't go. I'm being deadly serious. I can't. I thought I'd be able to face it, an evening with Amy there, but I just can't. Every time I see her, I keep remembering what I almost did, which would lead to my face feeling hot and my heart thumping an awful lot. I feel guilty. I'm letting Tails down. I promised him I'd be there. He'll understand. He has to.
 
I collapse on the grass nearby, looking down. I can't stand this. What has that damn girl done to me?
 
When I first met her, I had felt for her what I had felt for the others. Pure and simple friendship. Maybe less than that because she never left me alone, always hounding me and begging me to marry her. But I'd always respected her as no more than a friend, despite how I acted towards her when we were younger.
 
But now… it's like she had cast a spell over me and I saw her in a new light. She was more mature, that fact was true, and she had gotten stronger and better-looking. Wait a minute… did I just think that?
 
I did. And it's true. She is a lot better looking than when she was younger. Mind you, every gets better-looking from when they were as little kids right? I'm trying to kid myself that I like Amy. I do like her, but only as a friend. Do I? I'm not sure anymore.
 
I glance at the flowers, and I catch sight of a pink one. I hesitate, then pick it and hold it in my hand carefully, not wanting to harm it in any way possible. I smile at it, gently stroking the petals. It surprised me how much it resembled Amy. Delicate, soft and pretty. I'm shocked at myself.
 
“Damn it Amy, what the hell have you done to me?” I whispered angrily, slamming my other fist into the ground. I began to think of Tails' offer again. It had been twenty minutes since I was supposed to meet him. They had probably given up hope of me coming and had either gone inside or gone home.
 
I lay back, my thoughts buzzing like the biggest and loudest bees. I couldn't care less… I could go another night, on my own. Or Tails could come with me, so I could make it up to him.
 
`Sure, you're willing to make up lost time with Tails but not willing to make up for lost time with Amy…' a voice in my head growled. I remembered that date I had stood her up on. I would make it up to her but… I just can't. Not until that incident is erased from my mind completely.
 
Suddenly I remember how Tails had told me how Amy was really excited about tonight and really was looking forward to hanging with her three best friends there. I feel guilty again. I can't stay here. I don't want to let her down again. I don't want to break her heart anymore.
 
“I know I'm gonna regret this…” I grumbled before I tore off.
 
Cream's POV
 
“He's not going to show up is he Cream?” Amy asked me in a somewhat depressed voice. I couldn't stand to even think of Amy depressed.
 
“Sonic will show up, Amy, he wouldn't be left out…” I tried to convince her, but I was having a hard time convincing myself. It had been twenty-two minutes since Sonic was supposed to be here and I was having a hard time trying to tell if he ever would turn up.
 
Amy looked at me, disappointment in her eyes. I could see tears pricking the corners of her eyes, “He's not going to turn up Cream… and it's me… I'm the reason he's staying away…”
 
I looked at her, feeling like crying myself. I don't like seeing my best friend sad, “Amy… it's not you… please don't cry…”
 
“It IS! He's been acting really strange around me lately and he won't go near me anymore!” she wailed, beginning to cry. I began to sniffle myself and cry.
 
“Please… don't!” I wailed, crying as hard as Amy now. I can't stand this. Why can't Sonic turn up? I can't stand seeing Amy cry… I glance over at Tails, who walks over, sits between us and gives us both a hug.
 
“It's okay… we don't need Sonic to have a good time do we?” he said, giving us both a comforting squeeze. Amy nodded, grabbing a tissue and wiping away her tears. I grabbed my hankie from my pocket and blew my nose. I smiled at Tails weakly.
 
“Thank you Tails…”
 
“No problem… shall we go inside then?” he asked. I could hear the disappointment in his voice. He had really thought that Sonic would show up. That he would keep his word. I guess we should have known better. I caught sight of Amy nodding, still wiping away her tears.
 
I hated seeing Amy cry. She was like my big sister, always there for me through thick and thin. She was strength, and was the next best thing to my mother when she wasn't around, as well as Ella. I really look up to her, and she cares for me like I was her little sister. When she cried, it felt like strength was sapped from her and she was a defenceless little girl.
 
As we headed inside, the wind began to pick up. I whipped around and a blue blur skidded to a halt. He gave a grin to us.
 
“Sorry I'm late!” he waved. I didn't think he noticed Tails glaring at him. I bowed, “I'm happy you could come Sonic!”
 
He gave a trademark thumbs-up and followed us into Twinkle Park. Tails' plan was working after all.
 
Amy's POV
 
He did come… I still couldn't get that fact out of my head. Sonic really was here. He didn't run out on me. I kept throwing glances at him as we entered the park, but then I found myself in awe at the size of the park.
 
It was so beautiful. There was everything. There were rides everywhere, not to mention shops, sideshows and general attractions. I couldn't wait to drag Sonic on some of those water logs. I knew he hated water. I glanced across at him again and he quickly turned away from me. I guess what had happened the day before still played in his mind.
 
It still plays in mine. I found myself wondering what would have happened if he didn't gain control over himself at the moment his lips were about to touch mine, if he did kiss me then and there. That led to me questioning what it would feel like… Sonic's kiss.
 
I blushed at the thought of myself and Sonic alone somewhere kissing passionately. How he would pass his lips over mine, and rub his hands up and down my back in a stimulating way…
 
“Amy?” said Cream, waving her hand in front of my face. I snapped back into reality and blushed deeply, grateful that nobody I knew could read minds. That would be embarrassing…
 
“So where do you guys want to go first?” Tails asked me, with a big grin on his face. I paused for thought, vaguely wondering where I wanted to go.
 
“Well, let's get some candyfloss first before we decide.” I offered. We went over to the candyfloss section and bought candyfloss for each of us. We walked around while we ate. Cream shared with Cheese, who ate enthusiastically and got pink all around his mouth. Tails took his time, biting into it carefully, whilst Sonic hadn't bought any candyfloss but had settled for his favourite food, chilidogs. My face felt sticky now as I finished the rest of the `floss.
 
I giggled as I caught sight of chilli sauce all around Sonic's mouth. He glared at me, wondering what I was laughing at and nearly screamed when he caught sight of chilli sauce on his face. He remained in the toilet for quite a while trying to get all of it off. It sure was funny.
 
I glance at a nearby ride and gave a quick fleeting smile to my three friends.
 
“How about that one?!” The others smiled at my suggestion and we all ran off to go on it.
 
Sonic's POV
 
The evening's not as bad as I thought it would be. I thought that I would never face Amy after yesterday. I sure was wrong. I can't believe it. I guess Tails and Cream being there really makes a big difference. I'm not as scared of Amy as I thought I would be.
 
It's strange. When she was little I never pictured myself to ever be afraid of her, or think of her differently. True, back then I always thought she was annoying and that she'd never in a million years change. But she surprised me. She had matured, and changed her style to something totally her own. It suited her better than that old baggy green t-shirt and that frilly orange skirt.
 
I still thought she was annoying even after she changed herself into a more mature person. She keeps passing subtle hints at wanting a date every now and then and she still has that crush on me from when she was nine. That was three years ago.
 
I just don't get girls like her. She's just so persistent that it makes me admire her; yet again also think she's annoying. She's been chasing me for two years, I even told her off for it in a kind of harsh way once, and she still didn't get the message. Now it all seems different… almost like she's getting what she wants…
 
Tails smiles at me while licking on an ice cream, “Cheer up,” he tells me. I gave him a weak smile and continued on with Tails, Cream and Amy.
 
Suddenly Tails stopped and smacked his head, looking very worried and upset, “Oh NO! I totally forgot!”
 
“What?” I asked. Shockingly, Amy had answered at the exact same time as me.
 
“I totally forgot about Cream's curfew! Her mom's gonna kill me! And I've told Chuck I'd help work on the Chaos Emerald data tonight!”
 
I raise my eyebrow, “Chaos Emerald data?”
 
“Yeah, we think there's more Chaos Emeralds out there than just seven, and we think they're much more powerful too! I'm sorry, but me and Cream will have to go!” Tails babbled in a hurry.
 
I gawk at him, “So… shall we come with you?”
 
“No reason to! You stay with Amy and have fun!” he said loudly.
 
“But-” I tried to say but Tails had already grabbed Cream's arm and led her to the entrance to leave. I was alone with Amy. I steal a glance at her and quickly look away again.
 
I don't believe this. Tails and Cream have made plans? How could they leave me with Amy, of all people? Yet again, they don't know what I nearly did… do they? They can't do. No one knows except me and Amy. I just hope Amy never told anyone.
 
If Tails and Cream have left then I might as well leave as well. I can't stay here with Amy, alone. Not after what happened. She'd figure that something was up easily. She's no stupid. I was about to make up an excuse to Amy when she looked at me sadly.
 
“If you wanna go, you can… I can come here another night…” she said in a sad tone. I groan. She's hitting me with that spell again. I feel guilt. Her spells working. I remember how eager and excited she was to come to Twinkle Park and I'm seriously considering leaving her alone, thereby spoiling her evening, meaning she's have to come home too? I feel sick at myself. I can't leave her alone. It'd be just cruel.
 
“No… I'll stay Ames, I have nothing planned…”
 
The smile on Amy's face set my heart beating again but it made me happy to see it, not scared or sweating. I still can't believe I'm going to stay with her. I feel crazy yet again is it so wrong to care? I was so lost in hoping I wouldn't regret it that I didn't notice that for the second time I had called her Ames.