Sonic Series Fan Fiction / Sonic X Fan Fiction ❯ Miracles ❯ Dilemmas ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: The only characters that belong to me are CJ the Cheetah and Jessie the Cat. As for the others, Simone the Squirrel and Ant the Titch belongs to my friend Ant the Titch. Mony the Echidna belongs to Mony the Echidna. The rest of the characters belong to SEGA.
Miracles
“Hey Manic, sugar, I really gotta talk to ya.”
 
Manic's blue eyes narrowed as Bunnie Rabbot came into view. Of all the times the green hedgehog could have been disturbed; it had to have been at that moment. Manic sniffed and ignored her, hoping that she'd go away, as he set to work on his mother's ornament again. He had been working on it for the best part of an hour now and it hadn't fit together again yet.
 
Bunnie didn't give up. She continued to try and catch Manic's attention, and the green hedgehog found his temper reaching its limit, “What?”
 
“Don't you say `what' to me in that ungrateful tone, sugar. We need to talk about Sally,” Bunnie replied in a firm voice. Manic went to speak, but found nothing to say, so resorted to sulking while Bunnie's voice just washed over him.
 
Manic's thoughts strayed to his mother again. Ever since he was a little boy, the hedgehog had always tried to picture his mother's face and dreamed that she would one day she would drag him out of the gutter, cuddle him and keep him safe. Meeting Aleena changed his life, his dreams had all came true, and he had a mother. Her death only meant all his dreams had been shattered, and that he didn't have a lot of time with her at all.
 
“…and Sally-girl only wants to help you!”
 
Manic sighed, “What was that?”
 
A frown found its way onto Bunnie's face and she glared at the green hedgehog, “Were you even listening?”
 
Manic said nothing and Bunnie took that as an immediate `yes'. The half-robot rabbit's frown deepened, “I honestly don't know what Sally sees in you…”
 
That comment struck a nerve and Manic growled, before everything made sudden sense. Ever since Aleena died, Manic hadn't treated Sally right. He had been neglecting her, hadn't been treating her right. Manic sighed miserably, what had he done?
 
“I don't know…” Manic mumbled.
 
Bunnie, seeing that she was finally getting through to Manic, calmed herself down, “You haven't exactly been treating her right these past couple of weeks…”
 
Manic had a look of hopelessness in his eyes, “What do I do?”
 
Bunnie sighed, seeing that Manic was beginning to see the error in his behaviour, “Talk to her Manic. Before it's too late and she gives up on you forever.”
 
Manic said nothing. He didn't need to. He knew perfectly well that Bunnie was right.
 
XXX
 
“What do you want now?” Knuckles sighed, his senses straight away telling him that Rouge was right behind him. He always felt a strange sensation in his stomach whenever he felt Rouge approach him, whether or not he could see her.
 
“Nothing really,” the bat muttered from behind him, placing her hands on her hips, “Just bored, that's all.”
 
Knuckles sighed loudly, “Well if you don't like it on the island, you can always go shopping or do whatever girls like to do.”
 
Rouge's face fixed into a shocked expression, “I like spending time with ya, Knucklehead. No amount of shopping's gonna beat that.”
 
A smirk crossed the red echidna's face, one that he normally wore only when Rouge was around, either to symbolise him beating her in an argument, or to possibly hide any blushing, “Nice to know you care, bat-girl.”
 
Before Knuckles could register anything, Rouge had tackled the echidna to the floor, and he could only laugh helplessly as Rouge tickled him under the arms, around the ribs, and occasionally on his stomach. It seemed like a long process, Rouge's tickling was turning Knuckles' brain to mush, or so the echidna thought. Eventually, Knuckles thought tactically and began to tickle Rouge back, careful to avoid her chest, not wanting yet another argument with Rouge about that issue. Sure enough, the two had laughed each other out, and the two merely lay in each other's arms, giggling silently to themselves.
 
“Don't-call-me-bat-girl!” Rouge whispered between breathes.
 
Knuckles smirked, bringing Rouge closer to him, “Fair enough… Rouge.”
 
The two lie there that afternoon, and Rouge fell asleep not long after. Knuckles couldn't blame her, seeing as Rouge was a bat and bats were normally nocturnal, sleeping during day hours and roaming the skies at night. While Rouge was different, and stayed awake some hours of the day to see Knuckles and slept more at night, Knuckles somehow knew it was a relief for her to sleep now.
 
The red echidna looked upwards towards the sky, laying back and remembering all that had happened during the year. Two particular memories sprung to mind; Shadow and Blaze's wedding and the Manic and Sally announcing their engagement.
 
For the longest time, Knuckles had considered proposing to Rouge himself. He felt he loved her enough now to prove it, despite the fact that they had their ups and downs a lot, and constantly bickered about silly things. But remembering one of the conversations they had a while ago, when Rouge told him she never wanted to be married, set Knuckles into a slightly more worried state. Knuckles wanted to get married, Rouge didn't. Yet another dilemma in the relationship between echidna and bat…
 
Knuckles looked up at the sun overhead, slowly coming out from behind the clouds, “Why not ask her and see what she says?” he asked himself.
 
A new resolution in mind, he scooped up Rouge and carried her to his hut, resting her beneath the blankets of his bed, before leaving to pursue his latest goal; to get Rouge to marry him.
 
XXX
 
Shadow sat in a cold hospital seat, his red eyes settled on his hands as Blaze lay next to him on the bed. The cat had regained consciousness about an hour after arrival at the hospital, and her attitude towards Shadow hadn't improved one bit. After ranting at Shadow some more, Blaze had calmed down while nurses flitted in and out of the room, testing her.
 
“You okay?” Shadow asked after a long silence. Blaze could only glare at him.
 
“What do you think?” the purple cat snapped in reply, her yellow eyes settled on her feet.
 
Shadow sighed. This whole charade was spoiling his New Year's Eve, and it felt like it was his entire fault, “Blaze, I'm sorry, okay?”
 
Blaze said nothing for a while, “Yeah, I suppose you are…”
 
A green canary in uniform entered the room, carrying a clipboard and a slightly nervous expression, “I've come to do some tests.”
 
Shadow glared at the canary, reading the name tag on her uniform, reading `Tekno', “She isn't a lab rat.”
 
The canary named Tekno took a deep breath, “We have to find out what's wrong with her, why she fainted. I have a suspicion; we only have to see if it's true.”
 
Blaze gave Shadow a warning look, telling him not to try and prevent the tests. A glare formed on the black hedgehog's face, “Should I wait outside?”
 
“These tests can take a while…” Tekno said slowly.
 
Blaze grabbed Shadow's hand and tightly squeezed it, “Don't worry, I'll call you when I'm done. You go home and see the others.”
 
Shadow really wanted to remain with Blaze while she had these tests done, but the look Blaze was giving him was almost poisonous so he sighed loudly, “Okay then, if that's what you really want…”
 
XXX
 
Amy settled at the table in the Rose residence and sighed to herself almost miserably. She couldn't believe she was allowing him to walk out of her life, she couldn't believe she had pushed him into that decision. But then she remembered the look of excitement on Sonic's face and she couldn't fault that she'd do anything to see more of those smiles on that same handsome face.
 
But the fact that Sonic was going away stuck in her mind and it didn't make Amy the happiest of girls. She knew the moment he left Station Square that life would change for her. She hadn't gone a long time without having Sonic there at all, and she wasn't looking forward to the emotional pain.
 
But shouldn't she be happy that he was happy? For the first time since Sonic's mother died, he smiled, he was cheerful.
 
“Hi Amy…” Cream sidled into the room, a shy look on his face, Charmy Bee following her in a buzzing, bouncing motion.
 
“Hey, you two,” Amy weakly smiled at the two teenagers, “How's it going?”
 
Charmy opened his mouth to speak but Cream spoke over him in a nervous tone, “We found something… it belongs to Sonic… err, in the bin…”
 
Cream looked at Charmy in an almost hopeful way, and Charmy grunted, dropping a bin bag at Amy's feet, “Money.”
 
Charmy buzzed away looking sulky, Cream staring after him for a while before turning back to Amy. Amy was in complete awe at the amount of money that was in there, “I had no idea Sonic had this much money!”
 
“I know, but me and Charmy thought it'd be best to return it to its owner, you know…” Cream shyly stated, digging her toe into the kitchen floor.
 
“Yeah, I guess…” Amy sighed in a depressed tone, “I guess you're right…”
 
Cream, noticing Amy's depressed attitude, looked at her best friend in concern, “Are you alright Amy?”
 
Amy sighed again, her head resting in one of her hands, the lights in her eyes almost gone out, “Sonic's leaving today Cream…”
 
Cream's mouth dropped open, before closing again rather quickly, the rabbit remembering that it was rather rude to leave one's mouth hanging open, “But he'll be coming back right? He always does…”
 
“He's going away for longer this time. He said he wants to experience the world's true beauty,” Amy replied.
 
“And you don't want to be separated, right?” Cream guessed. She had known Amy for years; it didn't take much to read her emotions, almost like a book.
 
Amy nodded, “But he's going and there's nothing I can do about it. I can't force him to stay here; it's not what he wants. If he wants to go travelling, then I won't stop him.”
 
Cream's mind set into thinking motion, “Why not… you know, go with him?”
 
Amy paused at that statement, about to reply before her brain slowly processed Cream's words properly. She had never honestly considered going with Sonic on his travels. She was in truth so attached to Station Square she couldn't see herself leaving it behind, along with all her great friends. But she didn't want to be apart from Sonic. Not her true love…
 
“I never thought about it. In any case, Sonic probably won't want to drag me alone on his travels; he'd want to go it alone, like he always does…” Amy replied after some deliberation.
 
“Yes, but if you do go with him… it'd be a bit like a fairy-tale won't it?” Cream queried curiously.
 
“Life isn't like that Cream,” Amy began, “Not everything has a happy ending.”
 
A/N
 
Yes, it's also a KnucklesxRouge! In my eyes, there's no one better for Rouge and Knux than each other. Yes, something's up with Blaze, but is she really food poisoned or is it something completely different? Also a nice little hint at the friendship between Amy and Cream.