Sorcerer Hunters Fan Fiction ❯ Gentle ❯ Chapter 5

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Notes: Okay, one quick thing, I gave Gateau a car in this chapter because...well... I don't really have time to think of another way for them to make it to a mountain through snow and stuff. Plus, Tira will need one later. Still, I hesitate to put an AU label on this, though I may go back and do so, but for now, bare with me.

P.S. Fala-san, I know we talked about the pet name baby being out of place in the other fic, but I think perhaps it fits this out of character Gateau to use it. Anyway, if it still seems weird please let me know, thanks!

Gentle
Chapter 5



Four days of silence. They hadn't spoken at all, not even a polite request to pass something at the table. Then, suddenly, everything seemed alright.

Thursday morning Marron walked into the house, his hair and clothes damp from wandering around outside in the light rain. He smiled at her, a very little smile, and then apologized for his behavior. Giving her no chance to explain or offer her own apology, he excused himself to his room.

That night he had sat with her on the swing, quietly chatting about the crowded market and Carrot's growing interest in a certain green eyed girl from town. Tender subjects were avoided all together and Tira wasn't quite sure whether that was a good thing or not. Marron seemed to think it was.

It was late, later than she ever stayed awake. Laying in bed she smiled as thoughts of happy days filled her mind, until she heard it. The quiet sound of pleading filtering through the walls, a sharp sound of a blow struck, a loud voice, then silence of acquiescence. That was when she realized, everything was not alright.

~*~

"We're going away for the weekend."

The words struck her heart like an arrow. Gateau stood confidently in the living room, holding a list of things to buy and pack. Marron stood behind him, staring at the floor, hands twisting in a strange nervous gesture only recently developed.

Today they would shop; tomorrow they would leave. The thought of Marron left alone with him, without the limits of the house, or others to watch, to witness, it shook her very self.

"Come on baby," Gateau coaxed, grabbing a bit roughly at Marron's arm and leading him from the house. The taller man's control was slipping, his act of kindness for the benefit of the others was wearing thin. Frustration was building up, but building up to what?

The weekend.

What could she do? Tell Carrot? Tell Chocolate?

No, she couldn't, Marron would hate her if she told, and she just couldn't live with that.

~*~

Snow was already falling in the mountains and it coated the ground around the rustic cabin. Climbing from the driver side of the jeep, Gateau shuffled through it to open Marron's door. The mage looked doubtfully at the ground, but before he could make a move to brave the cold, Gateau lifted him up into his strong arms.

Maneuvering up the few steps and shifting to unlock and open the door, he flopped heavily onto the couch with Marron settled snuggly across his lap. Hugging the mage close, he flipped back his blue cloak and kissed his temple.

"I love you, you know."

He nodded.

"Its gonna be okay Marron. I realize how bad its been for you, and I'm so sorry baby. This weekend's gonna be a new beginning for us."

As Gateau went to bring in their things, Marron sat quietly on the worn leather couch. He warned himself not to believe such foolish words, he had heard them before with the end result was always the same. This getaway would give him nothing but a few more painful mornings and maybe even another scar. Like the last time. But even then, knowing this, as he sat with the lingering warmth from the others arms fading, he felt the dreaded hope rising in his heart.

~tbc?~

Short, sorry sorry. The Miko has had a hectic weeks and midterms are here and...and...I'm gonna fail! But at least I'll keep working on this the best I can, if you're interested that is.

Review please?

Her Supreme Omni-potence,
Miko No Hoshi