Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann Fan Fiction / Crossover With Non-anime Series Fan Fiction ❯ Factory ❯ Rehab ( Chapter 76 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Rehab

I: Rehab Stay:

She's been here for six weeks now. Not much has changed. Kei had an empty look as she stared out the window. They barely come to see her. It could be triggering. She needs to get better. Kiko does call her once a week. But that's about it.

There was a knock on the door. Kei doesn't look up.

“Good morning, Yamaguchi-san,” a nurse said. “How are you feeling?” The heiress didn't answer. The nurse walked over with a tray of medicine. It looked like it was going to be another day.

II: Who am I?:

-Kei-

I don't know who I am. I used to know. But now…

I keep seeing flashes of who I used to be. So many bright lights. The music pounded around my head. I felt so sexy when I was dancing on the dance floor. My body was covered in glitter.

I closed my eyes to try and capture it. This memory was always so faint. Was I alone? It didn't feel like it. Would I go back to that moment? It seemed so… so… inviting.

There was another knock on my door.

“Yamaguchi-san,” another nurse said. “It's time for your therapy.” I didn't argue. I just felt tired. I stood up and walked over to her.

I just want to go home. When can I go home? I've given up on asking at this point. Kiko wouldn't let me do so yet anyway. Still, I want to go home.

III: Small Circle:

Every Sunday, I meet up with a small group in the activity room. There are only four people in my circle. We barely talk. Just sit around and stare at each other until time is up. There's pale and skinny girl with black here, an equally pale punk guy, another girl with bright blonde hair, and a guy with glasses. I still don't remember their names. I shifted in my seat.

“I might go home this week,” I said. There was no response. Why did I even say that?

“That's cool,” the skinny girl said.

“Yeah…” I said. Why am I here? I just want to go home. But I can't remember my life before I came here. Just because I was on the roof at a party was no reason for me to come here. Kiko was overreacting. I remembered her phone call last night.

“Can't I come home?” I asked.

“No,” Kiko said. I stuck out my lower lip.

“Why not?” I asked.

“You ended up where you are now because your problems,” she said. I wrinkled my nose.

“What did I do?”

“You still don't remember, do you?”

“Remember what?”

My sister sighed. “This is why you will stay here for a while.”

“But…”

“I will talk to you next week.” She hung up on me before I could say a word. I frowned and looked at the receiver. Damn it.

I looked down at my lap. Why did they stick us altogether? Why am I even here? I sighed and shook my head.

I just want to go home. Why can't I remember what happened? Why? Why? If I could remember, maybe I could go home? I don't know anymore!

IV: The Accident:

-Three Months Earlier-

She had gone up to party with her secret lover. Kei just needed the break. She grew tired of adulting and running 9 Records. Maybe this day off would solve everything. Kei would come back afterwards and work like nothing happened. At least, that was how it was supposed to go. We'll go into that later.

Shoji greeted her up in Sapporo. How long had it been since she last saw him? It didn't matter.

“I missed you so much,” she said. She gave him another kiss on the lips.

“Aw, I missed you too,” he said. Shoji kissed her back. They had been having this affair for three years. Conrad didn't seem to know a thing. If he did, he didn't say anything. That didn't matter. Kiko could take over for the day. This was Kei's time to party!

They hit the usual clubs and bars around Sapporo. Kei felt like the queen of the dance floor. She just loved the free drinks and attention. Shoji couldn't keep his hands off of her either. He just had to grab onto her hips, ass, and breasts. She would turn around and kiss him. They spent the night at his vacation home.

In the early hours of the morning, Kei shook Shoji on the shoulder.

“Shoji-kun,” she whispered. “Shoji-kun. Shoji-kun.” Kei shook his shoulder harder. Her lover mumbled to himself.

“Baby,” she whispered. “You have to get up. I need to get back to Tokyo for work. Come on.” Shoji looked over at her half-asleep. Kei had a worried look on her face.

“Baby,” she whimpered.

“Okay, okay,” Shoji mumbled. “I'm going. I'm going.” He climbed out of bed and walked over to the closet. This was where the mistakes begin.

Shoji was in no condition to drive in his tired state. Maybe they should've waited until sunrise. But Kei just had to get back to Tokyo. She had to get back to her job. Rushing and sleep are never a good combination. Plus, the icy roads made things much worse.

From there, you know what happened.

Crash!

Bits of glass flew everywhere.

V: Therapy:

-Kei-

I have to go to therapy every Sunday. The clock ticked in the background as I shifted in place on the couch. My therapist started to take notes.

“How is your memory coming along?” she asked. I looked down at my hands.

“Slowly.”

“What all do you remember?”

I drew my knees to my chest. “The accident.”

“What do you remember from that?”

“It was dark. I had to get back to work.” I forced myself to keep going. “The roads were too icy. Shoji kept falling asleep. I had to nudge him awake. There was another car and… and…” I could feel my body trembling.

“It's okay,” the therapist said. “Take your time if you need to.” I pressed my lips together as I nodded.

“I think that's it,” I said.

“Is there anything else you want to talk about?”

“No.”

“We can just sit here if you like.”

I slowly nodded. “Okay.” The clock ticked in the background to fill up the silence.

VI: Swimming Pool:

There is a pool behind the building. I stood over the edge. I stayed locked up in my room looking down at the shimmering surface below. I have been tempted to throw myself in the water. It's not to kill myself, mind you. I'm looking for something. What? I'm not sure myself.

So one night, I snuck out of my room. There was no one in sight to stop me. I walk and walk. There weren't any other thoughts in my head. I could see that cool pool in my head. When did this hall feel so long? Still, I couldn't stop walking.

The air felt so cool when I made it outside. A small smile spread across my face. My fingertips touched the cold metal of the gate. It could've ended there. But I unlocked the gate and walked inside.

My toes hung over the edge of the pool. I closed my eyes.

Splash!

So cold. A rush ran over my body. I just let myself float down to the bottom. What was I looking for under the water. I didn't know at the time. An out?

Suddenly…

Flashes of sparks appeared in my head. Faces, words, lights, sounds, smells, bodies, and touches ran through my mind. It was little all the pieces came together and clicked. This was it. This was who I was. This was who I used to me. I am… I am…

Yamaguchi Kei.

I swam up to the surface, panting. I was back.

VII: Wide Awake:

Today, I go home. I'm checking out on my own. Sure, Kiko's going to be mad, but I can take the risk. I know that I've caused some serious damage. It's nothing that I can try and fix. The one that I am really worried about is Conrad. How is going to take… well… the truth. I am going to have to find out, aren't I?

I packed up the last of my things and walked out of the room. My name is Yamaguchi Kei, executive and owner of 9 Records, and I am back!

VIII: The Princess is Back:

The princess is back. But she's got quite the mess to clean up. Somehow, she is okay with this. We all wish her the luck that needs. But we know that she can do this.

Black Recovery