Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann Fan Fiction / Crossover With Non-anime Series Fan Fiction ❯ Factory ❯ Making Amends ( Chapter 77 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Making Amends

I: Welcome Home:

-Kei-

I made it back home by bus. Kiko was never going to pick me up early. But I have to do this. I didn't even call her. I got off at the bus station with my luggage. I remember that it was a Sunday morning. There's no one here to greet me. Somehow, I was okay with this. I didn't know what to say to them at the moment. Walking home would give me a chance to think about what to say. Well, I could at least call for a taxi. I pulled out my phone and made the call. I told them that I would be near the bus stop.

The ride took about an hour for me to get home. I held my luggage to my chest. The driver looked at me through the rear window.

“You okay back there?” he asked.

“Yes,” I said without looking up.

“I see,” he said. The driver pulled away from the stop. I looked out the window. As I rode home, I thought about what I was going to see to the ones I love. This wasn't going to be easy. But I still had to try. This had to be done.

I made it back to my apartment by noon. I paid the driver and got out. I didn't move as the cab pulled away. When he was gone, I turned and looked at the apartment building. Here goes. I walked up to the front door.

II: To My Sister:

Kiko was surprised to see me.

“What are you doing back?” she asked.

“I'm fine now,” I said. She didn't look too convinced. I set down my luggage.

“I am so sorry for all of the trouble I have caused you,” I said. Kiko narrowed her eyes. She's heard this before.

“Look,” I said. “I know that you don't believe me. But I am trying this time. I really am. But I can't do it alone.” I laced my fingers together.

“Please? Can't you help me?” I asked. Kiko wrinkled her nose.

“I did try to help you,” she said.

“I know,” I said. “But I need more. I am trying to make amends with everyone in my life. Everyone that I care about.” Kiko stared me, glaring. She turned and walked out of the living room. But then she paused.

“We can have dinner together this evening,” she said. And then she went back to her room.

III: To Shoji's Family:

I pulled out my phone. My dear Shoji's been in a coma for months since the accident. He still hasn't woken up. I haven't talked to his family in a while. I know that I have to change that. His parents don't even know about me. They know of me. But they didn't know the full extent of my relationship to Shoji.

On Monday morning, I made the call to his sister. (I wasn't ready to go back to work yet.)

“Hello?” his sister asked.

“Naomi-san,” I said. She hung up on me. Still, I wouldn't give up. I redialed her number.

“Hello?” Naomi asked again.

“Could you please listen?” I asked. She sighed over the phone.

“What do you want?” she asked.

“I just want to say I'm sorry,” I said. “This all happened because of me.”

“You never came to see him,” Naomi said in a low voice.

“I lost the memories of the seven years of my life,” I said. “I didn't even remember him at all. You have to believe me.” There was a pause over the other line.

“Naomi? Are you still there? Hello? Hello?” I asked.

“Whatever,” she muttered. She hung before I could think of anything else to say. I stared at my phone. Trying to talk to her further would make things worse. I'm not ready to go see him yet. I still need to apologize to his parents as well. I could already hear what they were going to say. I still needed to do this. I took a breath and dialed up their number. I wasn't going to enjoy this.

IV: To My Company:

The next morning, I decided that I was ready for work. Kiko had reservations about this.

“You sure you want to do this?” she asked. I straightened up my tie.

“I can do this,” I said. I turned to her from the mirror. Kiko stood in my bedroom doorway. She's been keeping 9 Records afloat while I was mentally out of it. I thought it was time to reclaim my place at the head.

“Wish me luck,” I said. Kiko bowed her head.

“I wish you luck,” she said.

“Thank you,” I said with a bow. I turned and walked out the door. My employees were going to be surprised to see me again. Lucky for me, the company had been doing well. In fact, they have been doing well without me. Am I really needed there?

I smacked myself in the cheek.

Don't think that. They will be happy to see you. You can do this. You can do this.

I lifted my chin. Right. I made my way out of the apartment.

V: To Conrad:

This was the hardest one that I had to do. He's been there for me when I was mentally gone. Does he even know the truth? I really don't want to do this. Maybe I could keep this quiet and buried forever?

No. That wouldn't be fair to him. I can't stall with this anymore. I took in a breath and made the call.

“Hello?” Conrad asked. I took in a deep breath.

“Hey Babe,” I said. “I'm back.”

“I heard,” he said. I paused before I had to force myself to speak.

“Babe, we need to talk,” I said. “There's something I need to tell you.”

“What?” Conrad asked. I pressed my lips together as I forced myself to tell him everything.

VI: To Myself:

I have to keep telling myself to keep doing better. I wonder how like that will last? I keep wanting to turn back around and go back to partying. I thought that I was going to crazy at work. Kiko's more suited for this job. But then again, I don't want to spend all my time alone in my apartment. I set my head down on my desk and sighed.

Maybe I should try and look for something new.

VII: Moving On:

I took the first step. It wasn't easy. It's not over either. I don't know what I plan to do next. Still, I can't give up. I don't know what I really want, but I know that if I keep going, I will soon find it. What I will do after that, I have no idea. But I have a feeling that I will find the answer soon.

VIII: Everything is Fixed:

Well, almost. Let's see what's going on at the Factory, shall we? There's still a movie going on. The Factory is still in serious debt. Stars are leaving left and right. There's also something really bad that is about to go down…

Black Amends