Urusei Yatsura Fan Fiction ❯ Ataru's Onihood... ❯ Chapter 2: Onihood and the planet Uru... ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I don’t own Urusei Yatsura. UY belongs to Rumiko Takahashi, VIZ and some such.
“Spoken”
-Thought-
*Sound FX*

Urusei Yatsura: Ataru’s Onihood…

Chapter 2: The Onihood and planet Uru...

The trip to the Oni homeworld of Uru was a quiet one. Lum went quietly about her list of things that were necessary to fly her UFO while Ataru generally brooded, a bout of moodiness that was actually his own making and wasn’t even alleviated by the elation of a promised cure. There had been a nasty little fight between the two, in which Ataru had questioned Lum’s motives on curing him.

--- Flashback ---

He narrowed his eyes in suspicion. “So Lum… what will you be getting out of this then?... I bet you are demanding that I promise to marry you or something right?” Ataru immediately winced inwardly at the shift of expression on Lum’s face, this time he’d really, really hurt the girl’s feelings.

He was suddenly feeling miserable even without seeing the quickly forming tears or hearing the pained voice that said. “Darling… I, I… I just want you to be able to… to walk again… but if that’s what you think then I… I’ll take you back to Earth after they fix you up and won’t bother you anymore if you don’t want me to…”

--- End Flashback ---

After few hours he’d had it, deciding to try and apologize he really tried. “Lum…” there was no response. Giving up on girls was one trait that Moroboshi Ataru didn’t possess however so he tried again. “Lum… please…” This time there was a slight shift of her posture that told the experienced womanizer that he was being listened to. “I… I’d like to say that being injured like this made me moody but that’s not it. I didn’t mean what I said, it’s just that in the past you always had these plots, like what with the love candy and the magnetic lipstick and whatever.”

At this the side of Ataru’s nose began to itch, damnable thing that was made worse by the fact that he couldn’t scratch it. “Anyway Lum… I really didn’t mean what I said there and all so just stop crying please… save some Zaks so you are on top condition when I get out from the hospital, so you can put me right back in. Sounds good right?”

The words had their desired, maybe even too much so, effect. For whatever reason the daughter of the Oni Warlord Invader was indeed head over heels in love with a troublemaking human by the name of Moroboshi Ataru… and as such she quickly forgot the argument and spent the rest of the trip by holding Ataru’s head and cooing “Darling… you’ll be as good as new soon.” into his ear.

-----

The Oni hospital was an intriguing place with futuristic equipment strewn about like a high-end Science Fiction movie. Unfortunately there was a slight hitch in the road of Ataru’s recovery… namely the fact that he was a human and as such something almost completely out of the area of Oni medical expertise. The doctor in charge of Ataru’s case was currently rubbing his head, right between the horns, he certainly didn’t want to report to the Warlord that it would take months, perhaps years of studying the human anatomy before they could properly treat his ‘son-in-law’.

The doctor’s budding headache escalated when he entered the patient’s room. The princess was sitting on a chair next to the bed and affectionately stroking the human’s forehead… The doctor sighed and then cleared his throat. “Well… we seem to be able to cure you Moroboshi-san… however…” This immediately caused two faces to fall. “It will take us some time as we are not too familiar with the human anatomy… it would seem that humans can’t simply regenerate nerve tissue and as such we would have to introduce an outside stimuli to trigger the regeneration. As it is we would have to look in to the matter, a process which might take months or even years.”

Before either Lum or Ataru could speak the doctor continued. “There is however an alternative… we could genetically re-engineer Moroboshi-san’s DNA, make him an Oni if you will. This would eliminate the need for outside stimulus and would speed up the recovery process so that he should be fully recovered within two weeks.” He paused to let the words sink in and then continued. “If you wish to discuss this between the two of you, I am sure that Lum-sama is quite knowledgeable about this process as she requested the information shortly after our foiled invasion of your own homeworld.”

With this the doctor left the room leaving a blushing Lum and somewhat confused Ataru behind. Before he could even ask Lum started. “Darling… there’s something you should know about us Oni, for one we live a lot longer than you humans… why… daddy wanted to invade earth and give it to mommy as a present for their 120th anniversary.” Ataru blinked, this certainly was something new. “They would slightly alter your genetic structure so you would then age like one of us… you would also get horns and would have to learn to fly and all that.”

Before she could continue Ataru asked in almost frantic tone “Would I turn into a ‘Tiger-Cow’ like that moron Rei?” When Lum only smiled and shook her head Ataru continued. “Fine then… let’s do it.” Lum just stared at the boy in wonder, he was so willing to let them alter his own body. “And what I said in the hospital on Earth… I really meant it… Arigato Lum… chan.” She almost fell down on this, Ataru had called her Lum-chan. Quickly composing herself she opened the door and told the doctor to “Do it.”

Ataru only felt a slight prick in his neck before he began to fall into a comfortable darkness. The last thing he was aware was a face framed with green hair, a pair of blue eyes and a slight kiss on his own cheek and a whisper of “Good luck Darling…” before the darkness claimed him.