Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Can't Live Without 'Em ❯ The Glasses ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Can't Live Without 'Em



A/N: All right then. Here's chapter three for anyone's viewing pleasure. This chapter tells the story of Dryden and his glasses. Enjoy. (May I remind the readers that the chapters in this story have absolutly no relation to each other?)

Disclaimer: Not me!


Chapter 3: The Glasses

Dryden of Asturia awoke from his peaceful sleep blinking against the sunlight. He reached over to his night stand and pulled his dark sun glasses to him, once again remembering the day he had bought them years ago.



* Flashback *


14 year old Dryden walked through the Bazaar with a bag of his father's newly earned money. He was just itching to spend it, but he had no idea what it was that he wanted to buy. He wanted it to be something that would last, and be worth the amount of money that he would spend on it. There were so many possibilities!
He searched and searched for just the right thing to buy. Then, when he was about to give up hope, he was stopped dead at a stand that was selling foreign goods. On the table, were a pair of glasses. They weren't just regular glasses, either. They had lenses that were dark. He wondered, could you really see through them?
With curious hands he picked them up and slid them onto his nose. Viola! He was astounded to find that the wearer could see through them quite clearly, the only difference being that the world around him was tinted a black-brown.
Do you like them master merchant? asked one of the wolf-men that were native to Arsas. There are nothing else like them on all of Gaea! They came from the Mystic Moon.
Dryden's head was spinning. The Mystic Moon! He had always been curious about the culture of the place. He looked toward the sun and realized that with the glasses on, the sun didn't blind him from the activity of the bazaar.
This was the very object that he had been looking to buy. He counted out the money for the wolf-man and was happy to see that he hadn't spent half of the money that he'd been carrying with him. And who knew? Maybe these glasses would be popular with the ladies.


* End Flashback *


Dryden's thoughts became dim as he remembered who he was with at this time. He was in a floating fortress with Allen, the young King Van, Millerna, and the Little Lady from the Mystic Moon. He groaned at the thought of having to spend yet another day in the presence of the Knight Calei. He couldn't stand the thought of being near him, but that was the price that he had to pay to be with Millerna. He feared that by the end of this journey, he would loose the princess to that damned knight. He thought that he was such a ladies man, what with his long hair and.... but that wasn't really the issue. Hey! He had his down-right sexy glasses. He slipped them onto his nose, and all of his confidence came rushing back to him.
The moment Dryden walked into breakfast, he had a sense that something bad was going to happen. What was it? It was right on the tip of his tongue. What should he be careful of today? Lost in thought, he accidentally let the book that he was carrying with him slip to the ground. Muttering curses, he bent down to pick it up. His curses became louder as his glassses slipped from his nose. He hoped that the fall hadn't caused them to break in any way.
As he was reaching over to grab them, Allen walked into the room, not realizing that Dryden's glasses were on the floor until.... CRUNCH!
Allen looked beneath his booted foot and saw the crushed glass of the lenses and stems that were bent far from repair. Dryden! I'm sorry, I really didn't see them there!
Of course, Dryden being Dryden, and adding his hatred for Allen to the bunch, he jumped to conclusions about the knight's sincerity on the issue. You liar! shouted in a rage that none had ever seen him in before. You did it out of your dislike for me! How could you! I needed those! He didn't, really. He only thought that he did. After wearing them for so many years, he had forgotten that there was nothing wrong with his eye sight. (Really, I don't know how one could forget that they have 20/20 vision.)
Dryden stood and Allen began to back away from the man, knowing that what ever was coming wasn't going to be pretty. Allen blinked when he saw a fist flying at him at the speed of light.
BAM! Lights suddenly flashed and he became dizzy. Others in the room rushed at them, hoping to break them up, but before anything could be done, Dryden was on top of Allen and using him as a punching bag.
Allen, in an attempt to defend himself, rolled over and began strangling the man below him, hoping to bring him back to his senses.
In a great haste to end the brawl that had broken out between Allen and Dryden, Hitomi grabbed a water pitcher and dumped the contents over the two men. ENOUGH! she bellowed. You two are acting like children! Allen said he was sorry. She gave Dryden a hard stare and he looked to the ground, knowing that he had gotten carried away. She turned her gaze to Allen, who was already staring at the floor. And, you, Allen, will just have to replace Dryden's glasses. Now. Can we sit down and not have any more trouble for the day?
The two men before her nodded solomnly and all parted to let the two sit down at the table first.


A/N: I hope that this chapter was all right. You know what to do now that your done reading. As I believe I have said before, any flames will be a great amusement. I need a laugh after all I've had to deal with in school lately.
- Sparkling Twilight