Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Return to Fanelia ❯ Eleven ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]







The ground rumbled as the enemy advanced on Palas. Walls of buildings shook, and in some cases collapsed. Things fell off of shelves. The merchants at the bazaar were beside themselves as they frantically tried to keep their goods on their tables. People ran out of buildings. They all had the same frightened look of bewilderment as they looked into the sky and saw guymelefs lumbering into the city.

"We're all going to die for sure!" one terrified merchant shouted.

Children screamed and cried, and frantic mothers tried to keep track of them. All was chaos on this day that would normally have been quiet and peaceful.

The guymelefs were heading toward the castle. Eries and her advisors were frozen in place just staring, knowing that this would be the end. However, a surprising thing happened…

The guymelefs turned and flew off. It seemed that Asturia was little more than shaken up. The end of Asturia would not come today.

* * *

"It seems that the ruffians have withdrawn from Fanelia," the ambassador said.

"Good," Van replied. "The troops and guymelefs that we sent to the border must have scared them off."

"Actually, your Highness, it seems that they are actually planning a sneak attack on Freid. The must think that Duke Chid is weak as a ruler as well as his troops," the ambassador corrected, ever so graciously.

"We MUST help Chid!" Millerna exclaimed. "He's only a little boy!"

Millerna, Hitomi, Van, Merle, and Celena were all eating lunch when the ambassador came in with the news.

"Chid is a very wise ruler for his age, however I do agree with Millerna. We should help. Chid and Freid have seen enough chaos and destruction," Hitomi said.

"Then that settles it; I'm going to Freid to aid them in battle. Plan to have 100 troops ready for tomorrow morning. And I want some of our best troops," Van commanded.

"But, your Highness, you must stay to rule the country. What would the people think if you left them for Freid? We don't need that kind of panic with the enemy so near," the ambassador argued.

"That was an order. But I want you to take charge while I'm gone. No one must know that I am gone, save for my advisors. If word gets out, it will be all of your heads," Van said being careful not to seem like he was joking about it.

"Y-yes Sir," the ambassador stuttered and walked out of the room.

"That was so rude," Celena commented.

"I know," said Merle. "He shouldn't have interrupted our lunch like that." Then Merle went back to stuffing her face, very much grossing out Hitomi.

"I meant how harsh Van was being with the ambassador," Celena shyly commented. Merle hissed at that comment, although she still had food in her mouth, which grossed out Hitomi again.

"I know," said Van. "But it seems to be the only way I can get them to listen to me. They all think that they know better because they are older."

"'Tis the fate of a young monarch, I regret," Millerna replied.

"I want all of you to stay here while I'm gone," Van suddenly blurted out.

"No, I'm not leaving you Van," Hitomi argued.

"It won't be safe for you there," Van said. "We don't need to go and rescue you again."

"So you think that you are always rescuing me? Am I always getting in the way, to you?!?!" Hitomi got up from the table and ran to her room, after slapping Van (one of the odd quirks that a lot of people in Gaea seem to have.)

"That goes double for me!" Millerna got up from the table as well, not aware that what she said made no sense.

"Um, I think I'd better go make sure that they don't do anything that we will all regret. I'll see if I can cool them down a bit. Although I am a bit disappointed in the lack of confidence that you have in us," Celena left to go comfort them.

"Geez, what's their problem?" Merle stuck out her tongue at them and went back to eating.

Van just sighed, knowing that he said something that he was going to have to make up for. Then he touched his throbbing cheek, that Hitomi had slapped.

Merle suddenly stopped eating. "You aren't really going to leave us behind, are you Lord Van?"

"I really don't know," Van replied softly. "They make it so difficult."