Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ The straight, the gay and the bi ❯ Scene three ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Scene three

Joanna saunters through the door to Sheriff Jules' office. Julie is pacing back and forth in front of her desk, which is littered with papers and photos. Amanda is there, leaning against the far wall across from the window and door. Her face was just as undecided and perplexed as Julie's. She sighed, and muttered, "...but who?"

Joanna paused and looked between the two. Finally she announced her presence by clearing her throat and saying, "so... you, uh, wanted to see me?"


"Yes," said Julie, moving to the window. She folded her hands neatly behind her back and stared out onto the dirt street, lined with shops and houses fashioned after the popular old west.

"Something has come to my attention," she continued, the tone of her voice unmistakably businesslike. "There has been an illegal drug trafficking operation going on right under our noses." Joanna's eyes widened and she swallowed audibly.

"Yeah... that was my reaction." said Amanda with concern.

"It has been going on for quite some time. There are a lot of people and there is a lot of money involved, both going into and coming out of the operation. There are times, dates, places and rendevous. There are even inside connections with corrupt authority!" Joanna gasped.

"Yeah... that was also my reaction. I'm still in shock!" Said Amanda, her concern growing.

"But the only thing is... who? Who is the biggest question here," continued Julie. "Who is the inside connection, who is the lord, who are the employees. Who is involved in this thing. And when is it going down?"

"I don't know sir, Mam, I mean, Sheriff."

`You're acting pretty strange tonight Deputy." Jules says, noticing the beads of sweat slowly forming at Joanna's temples.

`Oh no' Joanna chuckles nervously, `You know it's just the weather.' she chuckles again and then it kind of dies down after the third chuckle. `Well gotta go, see you on the playing field' says Joanna and then leaves the room. Amanda and Jules stare blankly after her.

`Must be bingo night' Says Amanda.

`I reckon!' Jules replies. `So,' Jules clasps her hands fingers twiddling away, `Lets get back to business'

`Yes Mam. Uh... what were we talkin' `bout anyway?' Amanda asks.

`I just don't know anymore. But don't worry, I hear you and we will track down the culprit behind the massacre.'

Just then Joanna rides by on a horse with a wagon behind it and a few men with large bags marked "illegal drugs" running behind, keeping in mind Julie is still looking out the window.

`Yes, tracking down the culprit will be a hard task, but if anyone can do it, I'm sure it can only be the Sheriff.' Jules looks down at her badge and breaths on it and shines it with a hanky she had stuffed in her front pocket.

Later, at the corner store down the street...

Allen is inside sitting at a barstool eating away at his chocolate ice-cream cone while the shop owner, Gary, tidies up. The little bell rings as Amanda enters, meaning to question the townsfolk about the drug operation. She sees Allen and immediately ignores the other customers, seating herself next to him on a stool.

"Can I get you anything, Mam?" asks Gary.

"Yeah, sure Gary. What he's having, if you don't mind." she replies, flashing a smile and indicating Allen's ice-cream. She then turned her attention to Allen. "Afternoon, Allen. How's business down at the Lusty Knight's?"

"Great, Deputy Amanda. What brings you `round here?"

"I reckon there's a great big drug operation goin' down in this here town. D'you know anything `bout it?" she asks.

"Wow! We're finally getting a pharmacy here! Now we can finally win the fight against small pox, and perhaps Mad Cow Disease."

"No! An illegal drug operation!"

"Oh! No I haven't heard anything."

"I have," said Gary. "Word on the street is the trafficking is operating out of some guy's ranch.

No one knows who's behind it, however."


"Ranch, eh? ... No one, eh?... However, eh?" says Amanda.

Allen begins to get quite excited. "Are you onto something, Amanda?"

"You know... I think I am. Thanks for everything Allen!" She gives him a great big ice-creamy kiss.

"But..." says Gary.

"Your welcome. Anytime."

"But I am the one who gave you the information." protests Gary. "Deputy Amanda? Hello?" Amanda and Allen leave, hand in hand. "Awwww. Darn it, they're gone, and she didn't pay for that ice-cream. My wife said if I lost any more money, she'd leave me..."

Alone in his shop, Gary stands behind a darkened counter top, holding a chocolate ice-cream cone, and a checkered tea towel. Nothing ever really goes right for poor old Gary.