Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ The straight, the gay and the bi ❯ Scene five ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

We don't own Escaflowne

Scene 5

"Today, Deputy Amanda, we are going to go and check out the last ranch, lets see," Julie looks down at a sheet of paper that has four names crossed off and one remaining. "Van's ranch" she narrows her eyes.

"Van has a ranch?" Amanda piped in. "Well, anything is possible, I guess" she shrugs.

"Yes, but lately he's been down on his luck with the financial aspects of his business."

"Oh, I see." And they are off to Van's Ranch.

*****

Van is sitting on his flat fence with his chin in his palm. He has a puzzled and disturbed look upon his face. Sheriff Jules and Deputy Amanda walk over to Van and accidentally startle him, making him lose his balance and he falls to the ground. Van quickly recovers himself and stands up.

"Good afternoon Mam." Van sighs and tips his hat halfheartedly at the ladies.

"Oh, what's wrong Van?" sincerely asks Amanda.

"Well, my financial situation sucks, my sheep really suck, and I just found out I had a mole," Van stares blankly at nothing in particular in the recollection of the horror of discovering the mole.

"Is that it?" Julie asks.

"No" Van wails and then quietly sulkily, he adds, "my parents are visiting."

"Why is that a bad thing?" asks Amanda.

"Everytime they come down, Folken comes over… and then he gets… well it's not pretty…"

"What do you mean?" Julie interrogates.

"Well… here comes Folken… just listen in…" Van sighs again.

Folken saunters up to Van and asks, "So, where's mum and dad…?"

"Folken, give it a rest…" sighs Van, yet again.

"I will not!"

Just then, Vari and Goah's wagon pulls up… and they step out calling to their "sons."

"Oh Van, my darling! My sweet baby! How are you, precious?" calls Vari.

"Yeah, slugger! How are you doing?" Goah punched Van lightly in the arm. Then he turns to Folken. "Folken. What the hell are you still standing around for? Harness the horses and put the wagon away. Then get your mothers luggage out!"

"Yes father…" Folken sighs.

As Folken struggles with the horses, wagon and luggage, Van, Vari and Goah walk into Van's home. Jules and Amanda follow. Vari calls angrily to Folken, "Why are the cops here, Damnit? Can't you do anything right?"

"With all do respect, Mam, we're here to speak with your other son." Says Jules politely.

"Oh? Go ahead. I'll make some coffee." Says Vari; not thinking her perfect son was in any kind of trouble with the law.

"Will he need a lawyer, Sheriff?" Asks Goah.

"No, no…at least, not yet" Amanda said with a grin.

"So, Can. You say you are in some financial trouble?"

"Yes. But that will all be……… corrected……… soon enough." Van says, tapping his fingertips together.

"Annnnnnd just what does that mean?"

"Oh. I plan to win the annual Apoletta sheep race!"

"Oh and you'll do just great, my darling little boy!" And Vari plants a great big kiss on Van's forehead.

"Mom………"

"Now, now son, you're mother loves you,………" says Goah. "Unlike that other……… mistake of ours!"

At that moment, hearing every word, Folken walks in the door. Stunned, with a painful look on his face, Folken drops the luggage.

"Can't you do anything right?! You always have to break something, don't you?!" yells Goah.

Julie thinks to herself, `so that's why he tattooed that tear on his face……… well, here's the next person that need council.'

"Why don't you love me, father?" cried Folken, as tears run down his cheeks.

"Let me put it this way. Van slew the dragon you ran from………"

"No! It tore my arm off……… see? My mechanical one!"

"Don't interrupt me boy!!" shouts Goah, over him.

"Van is the only one who has ever made up proud, dear," says Vari.

"Just tell me! After all these years! Please tell me! Why don't I have a birth certificate, why don't I look like you, or Van, or daddy? Mom! Just tell me! WHY DON'T YOU LOVE ME?"

"Well the answer to all of those questions is that… we stole you from a shopping cart at The Baby Store, in Asturia, while a turquoise-haired couple's back were turned. They were arguing over, oh what was it now, I think it as the right bum powder………" Says Vari thoughtfully.

"You see, we……… couldn't have children, and we would have showered you with love and all… and we did for five years, until one magical day. We found out your mother found out she was pregnant with Van."

Folken delicately whips real tears away from his cheeks and for the first time since his birthday he lost his calm trait and snaps at his non-biological parents.

"You broke my! Slowly over the years, you broke me and I'm a wreck!! Forever, you showered Van with love and praise and showered me with hatred and metaphorical poison! You ignored me when I wasn't wanted and used me maliciously when it was convenience. I hate my childhood! I would have loved those parents- they were trying to find BUM POWDER- bum powder to benefit ME! Not themselves.