Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Twilight of Escaflowne ❯ Arrival ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AN: Hello again. First of all, I would like to dedicate this chapter to my friend Krissy whom helped me through my writer's block and gave me some awesome ideas for the next chapters. Second, I would like to thank all the wonderful reviewers who reviewed the preface of this story, and who also encouraged me through my writer's block.
 
kichis-sarjilian, AmethystWings, Rina, Missing White Wings 15, bluetreeleaves, kiwi, Snowtigress, angel of new beginnings, and AnImE-and-kRiSsY.
 
Here's the first chapter! Enjoy!
 
Disclaimer: once again, I sadly own neither Twilight nor Escaflowne. *sighs*
 
 
 
~*.:Twilight of Escaflowne:.*~
Chapter 1
Arrival
 
My mother drove me to the airport. It was scorching outside, but what would you expect of a typical day in Basram. I was wearing my favorite sleeveless shirt kind of as a farewell gesture. All I was taking with me was a duffle bag consisting of what few winter clothes I owned—my outfits were too temperate for the chilly northern terrain of Fanelia.
 
I was going to stay with my father, Shoji, so my mother could travel freely with her new husband, Yuji; I didn't want to be a burden. It was in northern Gaea where a small town called Fanelia existed. This is where I would exile myself. It was the town of my birth; a gloomy town with constant rainfall. In fact, it was recorded as being the city that received the most rainfall in all of Gaea. I began to question my decision as we neared the airport, but my stubbornness wouldn't let me change my mind.
 
“You know, honey, you don't have to do this…” my mother reasoned.
 
“It's fine mother, I want to do this,” I lied.
 
Like my mother, I detested Fanelia. I loved the sun and the scorching heat of Basram. I loved the city even with all the people, noise, and pollution. Fanelia had none of these. She came up to me to give me one last hug and a kiss on the cheek before I boarded.
 
“Say hi to Shoji for me.”
 
“I will.”
 
“I'll see you soon, honey. You can come home anytime. Just call as soon as you need me and I'll come right back.”
 
“Don't worry mom. I'll be fine.”
 
She hugged me once more until we heard the last boarding call. She reluctantly let go and gave me one last wavering smile.
 
“By baby, I love you. Keep in touch. Don't forget to call me as soon as you arrive. And you have my email address right?”
“Yes mom, I have your email address, and don't worry, I'll call. I love you. Bye.”
 
“Bye.”
 
With our goodbyes exchanged, I boarded the plane. It's a five hour flight from Basram to Fanelia, and then from there it's a three hour flight in a small plane to Fried. Shoji will pick me up there and then it's a two hour drive to Fanelia. I didn't mind flying. If anything, I loved it. It was the two hour drive alone with Shoji that I was anticipating.
 
Don't get me wrong, I loved my dad. We just weren't exactly on the same terms as my mother and I were. My dad had always been bad about expressing his feelings. I guess you could say I inherited that from him.
 
It was no surprise that it was raining when I landed in Freid. I exited the plane to see Shoji waiting by his cruiser. He came over to me and offered a place out of the rain under his umbrella. I gratefully accepted as we rushed to the cruiser. I loaded my duffle bag in the trunk and turned to face Shoji.
 
“It's good to see you Tomi,” he said as he gave me an awkward hug.
 
“It's good to see you too…Dad.” I wasn't allowed to call him Shoji to his face.
 
After we exchanged greetings, we climbed into the cruiser and headed for downtown Freid.
 
“Where are we going?” I asked.
 
“Have you eaten yet?”
 
“No. Why?”
 
“Well, I thought that we'd go ahead and eat here in Freid and catch up. Besides, there's no food at the house.”
 
“Oh…ok…”
 
“Do you not want to eat?”
 
“No! No…I'm actually kind of hungry…” I lied—I didn't want to make him feel bad.
 
“Ok…I know this great little restaurant. You'll like it.”
 
“Ok, sounds good.”
 
So there was a change of plans; we were going out to eat instead of going straight to Shoji's house, or going home; I guess I should get used to calling it that. If I was worried about the drive to Fanelia earlier, I was dreading the dinner we were to have together.
 
We came to an alcove in the business buildings lining the streets where a small building was wedged in. The sign above the door read “The Vione.” We went in and found a seat—I sat across from Shoji in a booth by the window. As we waited for the waiter, an uncomfortable silence settled around us.
 
“How's your mother?” Shoji attempted to break the silence.
 
“She's fine. She told me to tell you hi.”
 
“I found a good car for you…”
 
This caught my attention. “What kind of car is it?”
 
“Well, it's actually a little truck.”
 
“What kind of truck is it?”
 
“It's a Mazda.”
 
“What year?”
 
I could tell by the way he cringed that he was hoping that was the question I didn't ask.
 
“It's Hojo Black's little truck; he bought it new when he got it.”
 
“When did he buy it?”
 
He cringed yet again, “In the early 80's I think.”
 
I sighed.
 
“It runs like a brand new truck. All the mechanics are in good working order.”
 
“Sho-Dad, if I break down, what will I do? I don't know anything about vehicles and I couldn't afford to pay a mechanic to fix it.”
 
“Amano, Hojo's son knows about vehicle mechanics. He tuned it up and gave it all up-to-date necessities. You'll be fine.”
 
“How much did you pay for it.”
 
“Well, I kinda already bought it for you as a homecoming gift.”
 
“You didn't have to do that Dad. I've been saving up to buy a car myself.”
 
“I don't mind, I want to make your stay here as comfortable as possible; I want you to be happy here honey.”
 
“Gee, thanks Dad.”
 
“Uhh…you're welcome,” he fidgeted in his seat and awkwardly scratched his head; embarrassed by my thanks.
 
When the waiter finally arrived, we put our orders in. I got a French chicken soup served in a bread bowl, and Shoji ordered a rib-eye sub sandwich. Needless to say, the food here was quite impressive. I made a mental note to eat here next time I came to Freid.
 
We ate in silence; a comfortable silence this time. We finished our meals and paid the tab. When we exited the little building, it had stopped raining. We climbed back into the cruiser and started the two hour drive to Fanelia. Not much was said. Just a few comments on the weather, but it was a quiet trip for the most part.
 
I can't deny that it was a beautiful drive. Everything was green; too green. As night approached, the forest around us grew dark and ominous. It scared me to not be able to see the horizon. I longed to watch the sunset as I had so often done in Basram.
 
It was around nine at night by the time we reached Shoji's house. He still lived in the same two-bedroom house he and my mom had bought in the early years of their marriag.
 
Parked on the street in front of the house was my truck. It was an old faded red color, and surprisingly, I loved the thing. The thing; it was definitely a potential nickname for it.
 
“Wow Dad, it's perfect! Thank you so much!” Now my stay in Fanelia would be that much less horrific. I'd have my own transportation to and from school.
 
“I'm glad it suites you,” Shoji mumbled, embarrassed again.
 
And that's exactly what it did; it suited me perfectly. I unloaded my duffle bag from the back of the cruiser and followed Shoji into the house. I went straight upstairs to the room on the west facing out over the front yard. It had belonged to me since my childhood. Shoji had left it as it was; nothing changed except for a few minor details that had to be altered as I grew. The rocking chair from my infancy still sat in the corner. I went and sat in it and just reminisced in the quiet of the familiar room.
 
After a few minutes of just sitting there, I got up and grabbed my bag of toiletries out of my duffle bag and headed for the only bathroom in the house. After I had taken a shower and was finished freshening up, I went and sat on my bed and stared dejectedly out my window. I watched the sheeting rain and just let a few tears escape. I would save them for bedtime, when I would have to think about the events to come.
 
Escaflowne High School had a wavering total of only three hundred and fifty-seven—now fifty-eight—students; there were more than seven hundred people in my junior class alone back in Basram. All the kids here had grown up together—their grandparents had been toddlers together. I would be the new girl from the big city, a curiosity and a freak.
 
I didn't want to think about it anymore as it brought more tears to my eyes. I crawled under the covers and attempted go to sleep. I lay there for a while as the tears ran down my cheeks. Finally after listening to the pitter-patter of the rain for about half an hour, I had cried myself to sleep. My sleep was restless as I dreamt of my mom and the sunny days I had left behind for gloomy days here in Fanelia. The day had ended, and tomorrow would only be the beginning of a dream slowly turning into a nightmare.
 
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 
What do ya think?
 
I followed the book a little bit, but I added my own ideas and what not. I'm sorry for not updating earlier, I was having second thoughts and I couldn't come up with any ideas of my own, but I called my friend krissy and asked her for some ideas, and that really got me going. Once I started writing, I couldn't stop. I've already got the next chapter planned out. I think that I'll do the next chapter in Hitomi's point of view, and then I'll right a chapter from Van's point of view, I'm not sure yet, I haven't thought that far yet. I'll decide what I'm going to do when Van enters the story.
 
Well, please review and tell me what you think.
 
TEE