Vision Of Escaflowne Fan Fiction ❯ Twilight of Escaflowne ❯ First Encounter ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AN: Thanks so much to all the reviewers who've reviewed the first chapter of this story!! You guys motivate me to keep writing! I didn't expect to get as many reviews on this story as I've gotten! I hope you guys enjoy this next chapter as much as I've enjoyed writing it.
 
This is where the story starts rolling and the plot really picks up. It's very exciting if I do say so myself. I can't wait to finally introduce Van into the story, but I'm not going to exactly say when that's going to be. Maybe the next chapter, maybe he won't come in till another 5 chapters. Hehe I'm not going to spoil it…
 
MUWHAHAHAHA. Yes, I know I'm evil. But I am the author of this story, and I make all the decisions!! MUWHAHAHAHAH. lol sorry. I'm a little hyper.
 
Well, enough delaying. Let's get on with the story!
 
Disclaimer: Once again, I do not own either Twilight or Escaflowne -sniffs- DANG! lol
 
-.:Twilight of Escaflowne:.-
Chapter 2
First Encounter
 
I woke up the next morning, and I was sick. I don't know if it was a serious case of home sickness or what…but I was sick.
 
Shoji took me to the hospital to make sure I didn't have a serious illness. The doctor said I just had the 24-hour bug. He said to give it a day's rest, and I'd be fine. So Shoji took me home where I lay in bed all morning while Shoji was at work.
 
Shoji is Police Chief Kanzaki of Fanelia. He was one of the reasons why I was saving money to buy my own car; I refused to be driven around Fanelia in a police car.
 
Around noon, I began to feel better. I went downstairs, took some Dayquil and ate a meager lunch of scrambled eggs; I didn't want to upset my stomach more than it already was. I sat down on the sofa in the living room and flipped through the channels on the TV. As I sat there, I glanced out the window at the forest. It was an unusual day in Fanelia; it was sunny for once. I decided I'd take advantage of the sun and take a stroll through the woods. Besides, I could use the fresh air.
 
I got up to go change out of my pajamas, but when I reached the staircase, I decided I'd just through a shawl over my shoulders. I mean, who would I see in forest on a school day? And even if I did run into someone, my pajamas only consisted of sweat pants and a t-shirt.
 
I stepped out onto the front step and gloried in the sunny day. I crossed my front lawn to the forest that bordered our yard. As I approached it, I began to wonder what I was thinking, but my stubbornness kicked in and I entered the shrubbery.
 
The forest was thick, and I kept running into tree branches and bushes. There wasn't very much light either so it was hard to find a path. Finally, I reached a less dense area of the forest where I sat down under the brush to have a rest. As I sat there, I listened to all the little noises of the forest. Birds were chirping, and I could here the chatter of squirrels in a nearby tree. After I caught my breath I resumed my trek.
 
I passed tree after tree, loosing my sense of direction. Pretty soon, I started to panic. I didn't know which way I had come. I tried to calm down and think about what I learned in a wilderness survival class I had taken. Unlucky for me, I hadn't paid very much attention in that class. Now I was mentally kicking myself in the rear for it.
 
I stopped in my path altogether, and just closed my eyes and thought for a second. I tried to calm my breathing down and relax a little. I was making progress until I heard a crashing noise not far to my right. I froze altogether. My heart rate climbed to an erratic pace, and my breathing became shallow. I held my eyes shut and tried not to panic anymore than I already had.
 
Everything was silent. It was as if a hush had fallen over the whole forest. I couldn't hear any birds or squirrels. The tension was killing me. I was too afraid to open my eyes. I was just about to open them when I heard yet another noise. It sounded like something was tearing down the forest; snapping twigs and destroying the underbrush. It sounded like something big. My instincts told me to run, but my limbs wouldn't move. I was like a deer frozen in the spotlights of an oncoming car.
 
The thing was getting closer. I could hear the snapping and breaking of twigs intensify as it came at me.
 
Suddenly, I opened my eyes and ran for all that I was worth. I don't believe I had ever run so fast in my life. It was like all my senses shut down and all that went through my mind was the word `run'. I ran in no particular direction, just so long as I got away from the thing. I didn't know whether or not it was chasing me; I couldn't hear anything. I couldn't even hear my own breathing, but my heartbeat sounded in my ear like I was standing next to a giant war drum.
 
I ran and ran until my clumsiness returned, and I tripped and fell. I lay on the ground where I had fallen, panting. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't seem to catch my breath and slow my heart rate back to its normal pace. I don't know how long I had lain there, but I felt that if I didn't move now, the thing would find me.
 
Just as I was about to get up and continue on, I heard the crashing again. It was moving quickly in my direction. I was once again frozen stiff in the spot where I lay. I couldn't get up and run even though my instincts screamed at me to. For some reason, I felt content just laying there, awaiting what ever it was that was headed in my direction.
 
Just as I had anticipated, the thing had broken though the brush right in front of me. It was a giant mountain lion; the biggest one I had ever seen. I just sat there and waited for it to kill me. I could see the rage in its eyes. I wondered what the cause of that rage was. But the cause didn't matter, only the effect.
 
It hissed and snarled at me. Just before it lunged at me, I instinctively covered my face with my arms. The next thing I knew, I was flying. Or at least that's what it felt like. I couldn't make anything out. My mind was still hazy with fear, and everything was blurry. I tried to make out where I was at. Was I dead? Is this what death was like? It was still somewhat dark, so I reasoned I was still in the forest. But was there a forest in heaven?
 
I looked around me to see everything passing at lightning speed. Then I noticed that someone was holding me. I could tell that it was a man. I tried to make out his face, but it was covered in shadows. Was he my guardian angel taking me to heaven?
 
I was aware of a very comforting and alluring scent. I snuggled into the chest of my savior, inhaling. I could feel his arms stiffen around me. I felt so safe and comforted in his strong arms. I just wanted to close my eyes and fade away. I wanted to let everything fade away—the life I had left in Basram, the new life I had started in Fanelia—just let it all fade away…
 
O_o_O_o_O_o_O_o_O_o_O_o_O_o_O_o_O_o_O_o_O_o_O_o_O_o_O_o_O_o_O_o
 
So what do ya think? I came up with this chapter all on my own -pats myself on the back-
 
It was a lot of fun to right. Hmmm. I wonder who her rescuer was….Hmmm…Well, you're going to have continue reading to find out o.O
 
Review and tell me what ya think!
 
TEE