Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Do You Dream of Me? ❯ Link Forged ( Chapter 5 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: If I owned Yu-gi-oh, Yugi's friends would have figured about Yami a lot sooner.

Wah! I haven't gotten any reviews for Light in the Darkness chappie 2! Some of you kind people please fix that, please?! It's not YY, but I promise it's good!

Sorry! The first bit of this really belongs with the last chapter, but I was in a hurry and forgot to do it. Sorry!

VAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVA VAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAV

Jou and Anzu walked behind Yami, looking back and forth at him and then at each other. They didn't really know what to think.

Anzu broke the silence first. "So," she whispered, "How long have the rest of you known about him? And why didn't you tell me?"

"I was the first to find out. Then Honda. Yugi didn't want me to tell Honda or you because you would have thought I was playing a prank. Yami refuses to wake up except when Yugi is in trouble apparently, so we couldn't just have him show you some magic to prove he was real. Even with the magic, Honda still had doubts." Jou looked at Yami, who showed no signs of overhearing. "It is a little hard to believe."

"You're sure he's not just an impostor or something?" Anzu sounded like she wanted to believe he was, but couldn't make herself. He looked too much like Yugi.

Jou nodded. "I've seen him turn back. There's a flash of light, but it's not blinding. He's just shorter, and the eyes are normal…you know, back to Yugi."

Anzu frowned. "You said he refused to wake up except when Yugi is in trouble, but he was awake last night…"

"He said he didn't want to live Yugi's life for him. If he was sleeping anyways…" Jou shrugged.

They looked at each other, eyes full of unanswered questions.

Yami led them to the back door of the shop. "I don't want to encounter Master's grandfather, I don't feel up to another explanation." He explained. "Do you wish to come in? Master might wish to talk to you when he awakes. He would want to know that you, Mazaki-sama, are unhurt." He bowed, waiting for their reply.

"My parents aren't expecting me home until around nine…what time should he wake up?" Anzu asked.

"By…seven, I think, at the latest." He cocked his head questioningly.

"Um…Sure, I'll stay. And you, Jou?"

"My dad doesn't care when I come home. I'll stay."

Yami bowed again. "Thank you. I'm sure Master will be happy to see you. Please, come in."

When they got to Yugi's room, Yami lay down on the bed tiredly. He closed his eyes, and then opened them again. "I'm afraid that once I go to sleep you won't be able to wake me up, as I will not be in the body. Is there anything you wish to ask, or for me to do?" He yawned.

"We're fine, right Anzu? Right. See you later."

"Goodbye." He closed his eyes and lay still, barely breathing.

"So, what now?"

"We've got an hour and a half to kill. Wanna play poker? There's cards here."

"Jou! Don't touch Yugi's stuff without permission!"

"Nah, he won't mind. Come on, Anzu!"

"Look, fill me in first. What do you know?"

VAVAVAVAVAV

Yugi yawned. As he opened his eyes he felt energy pour into him. -Yami?-

He felt warmth on his left, and looked as he received no response. Yami lay deeply asleep, not even twitching. Yugi could only feel exhaustion from Yami, yet energy poured along their link.

`He's draining himself to wake me up? Why?' Yugi's eyes widened as he remembered the convict and Anzu. `Where am I, that he would be asleep too? What happened? Oh! That's why he's giving me all this energy, so I can find out.' He reached over and patted Yami on the head. Then he stumbled out of his soul room and into his body.

VAVAVAVAVAV

"That's pitiful, Anzu! You never do that!"

"Sheesh, Jou, this is the first time I've played this version! Give me a break!"

Flash. Yawn. "Guys…"

"Hey, Yugi! Finally awake?"

"Jou? Yes…Oh! Anzu! Are you alright?"

"I'm fine, Yugi. Are you okay?"

"Sure, just a little tired." He yawned again. "Dammit." He sighed.

"Wha…Yugi!"

"What's with the language man? I can't believe you just said that!"

"I finally managed Yami to do something just for himself, and this happens! Now I'm never going to get him to have fun again, because he'll be too worried something like this might happen and he won't be able to protect me." Yugi sighed.

"Yeah, what happened? He said you said he could wake up when you went to sleep, and he spent the night thinking about you."

"Thinking…dammit! I wanted him to play with the toys in my soul room, have some fun for once! Instead he probably spent the night planning how to protect me." Yugi sighed again.

Anzu frowned. "What's a soul room?"

"It's sort of a place in your mind…mine's sort of like my room, only messier: there're toys everywhere. There's a corridor to my body and another door on the corridor to the puzzle…Yami freaked when I opened that one, he thought it was way too dangerous. Yami stays in my mind usually. He loves the bed: he moves around on it a lot. He likes to: it must be fun after being chained for so long in the puzzle." Yugi shuddered.

"The puzzle? He came from there? And it's connected to your mind?" Anzu asked, trying to hide her worry.

"Yes. I freed him when I solved the puzzle, and now he's sort of bound to me. He stays in my mind because it's a lot better than the puzzle. I think he's afraid it'll try to catch him again. And I can sense him all the time, since he's in my mind. He's sort of a part of me now, I guess." Yugi smiled. "It's really so nice. He's so happy all the time, just to be free and not hurt…he just feels like he's in heaven. He cares about me a lot, I can feel it. I'm really looking forward to when we both get strong enough that we can be awake at the same time and talk."

"He's getting stronger?" Anzu asked, worried.

"Yes! He's a lot more alert than he used to be. Well, not right now, he's giving me all his energy so I can stay awake. But now he can sort of answer my questions by letting me look at his memories, not just respond with emotion."

"So, what is he then?"

"He doesn't know. The puzzle took his memories. He doesn't even know his name. It's really sad. I kind of get the feeling he knows how to do things, but not how he knows."

"Yami said he didn't know what he could do until he went to do it." Jou replied thoughtfully.

"If he doesn't know his name, why did you call him Yami, Jou? Darkness is a weird name."

Yugi laughed. "My fault. His idea of me…he thinks of me as the light, so if I'm light he's darkness…And Grandpa said the puzzle would give me the wisdom and power of darkness, and I've gotten his wisdom and power…It seemed like a good idea at the time. Maybe I should think of something else. He really doesn't like the dark."

"It fits." Anzu muttered.

"What?"

"Nothing, Yugi. Do you know what he does?" Anzu held her breath. There was no way Yugi would agree with what Jou had told her, right? Cursing people, and letting that man burn…but…he said the curses would wear off when they weren't deserved any more, and the convict was on Death Row anyway…She didn't know anymore. Was the spirit…Yami…really evil? What should she do?

"Not really…I can sense what he feels when he's asleep, but not when I'm asleep. I wonder why?" Yugi tilted his head and looked pensive.

Anzu sucked in her breath and looked at Jou. Was the spirit trying to hide his true nature from Yugi? If he really respected him enough to call him Master, wouldn't he want him to know what he did with his body? Was he trying to conceal his dark side?

"I've got it!" Yugi said suddenly. "I can sense him when he's in my mind, right? But when he's in control of my body, he's not in my mind! I can sense him right before I go to sleep and right before I wake up. Right, that must be it. I wonder if there's some way to get around it? I'll have to find some way to get his attention before he leaves the next time I wake up…" He trailed off, thinking.

"Yugi…"

"What Anzu?" Yugi blinked cutely.

"Are…are you really okay with this? I know this is a stupid question, but he's not…hurting you or anything, right? I mean, if you need any help, we're always here for you, you know that."

"Anzu!" Yugi said shocked. "How could you think that! He's really nice and he really cares about me! He'd never hurt me or anyone who didn't deserve it! He's even rescued you and you still don't trust him?!" He death glared her.

"Sorry, Yugi. I just wanted to be sure." Anzu held up her hands in a conciliatory gesture.

"…Alright. Look, I'm just going to get something to eat and go to bed now. It's really depressing to have Yami like this, all dead, and I don't want to drain his energy. It wouldn't be fair. So I'll see you tomorrow, okay?"

"Okay Yugi."

VAVAVAVAVAV

"We still can't be sure…What do you think, Jou?"

"Sigh…look, I think we can trust him, he seems okay, the problem is how can we be sure. It could all be a big fake, but why? If he's that powerful, why pretend to be nice?"

"Maybe he needs Yugi's help for something?"

"But that would imply he hasn't brainwashed Yugi, or he wouldn't still be bothering with nice. Anyways, what could we do? I guess we could smash the puzzle, but if my life depended on something like that and I had his powers, I'd cast some sort of spell to prevent that. And even if we did it and it didn't kill us, Yugi would. He'd never forgive us for sending Yami back to get tortured. Hmmm…"

"What?"

"It doesn't really make sense that someone that powerful would be so…obedient, submissive, devoted, whatever to an ordinary guy like Yugi, but if he really did rescue him from something as bad as Yugi said, I'd be grateful too. If only we knew someone else with magic who could check it out!"

"Wait! There's a psychic at school! We can ask him!"

"You're sure he's not a fake?"

"He predicted a fire three days before it happened! Anyway, who else is there?"

"Right! We'll check him out together tomorrow!"

VAVAVAVAVAV

`Wow, what a mob! It's going to be harder getting him alone than I thought…' Anzu bit her lip.

"Why did you drag me here, guys?" Yugi asked, looking around at the mob wanting to get their fortunes told at recess. He really didn't like how the guy was looking at Anzu. He was slimy somehow.

"Come on Yugi, don't you want your fortune told?"

"It would be cool, but I don't think he's for real…I'll ask." Yugi closed his eyes. -Yami?-

Hello! :hug:

-Does this person have magic?-

Concern.

Yugi felt a swirl of power reach out to Kokurano, the psychic. Then Yami went back to sleep, his concern vanishing.

"I don't think he is. Yami seems to think he's not worth bothering with."

Just then an earthquake struck. Yugi saw Kokurano smile. Then he gave a speech about his powers and pulled a scrap of paper out of his cloak, claiming to have predicted the earthquake. Yugi rolled his eyes, but one of Kokurano's attendants saw him. "You! Do you still doubt Kokurano's powers?!"

"Well, no, but…I saw a trick like that on tv once…Just for example, you know…If you wrote "Earthquake today" and other predictions on note cards and hid them in you clothes, that wouldn't be a real prediction…"

Kokurano was shocked. Then he began to wave his hands in the air. He shouted, "I can see! I can see! I see your future! Countless letters will fall from the heavens and bring disaster upon you!"

Yugi rolled his eyes again, and left. -With you protecting me, there's no way anything bad could happen!- :hug:

:nuzzle: Happy!

VAVAVAVAVAV

`Yay! Anzu said she'd go shopping with me on the way home from school since she doesn't have work anymore.' Yugi thought as he packed his bags to go. `Wait, what's this? It's a library book, and it's due today. I'd better take it back or the person will get fined.'

He hummed as he walked to the library, happy with Yami's presence, and opened the book to look at it before he put it back on the shelf. `Countless letters!' He heard thumps, and felt Yami rouse. -Wait!-

--Wha…-- A thought! It was faint, but…Yugi sent the desire to feel Yami and received an assent before he went to sleep.

VAVAVAVAVAV

Yami crouched on top of the toppled over bookcases. `So, this Kokurano is a menace who makes his predictions come true! I'll take care of that! But first…' He reached out to the light, and closed his eyes and smiled as he felt the warmth of his Master. He stood still for a minute before he shook himself awake. `I can't concentrate when I'm around him! I'd better close the link to take care of Kokurano. He sent a hug and a deep feeling of apology. He felt a snuggle and assent before he smiled again and closed the link.

`Now where would Kokurano be?' He wondered, stalking through the almost deserted school. He closed his eyes and searched Yugi's brain for his memories of Kokurano. `Mazaki-sama!'

Yami ran to where Yugi was supposed to meet Anzu, only to find her on the ground with Kokurano standing over her with a bottle of chloroform.

"Nyee hee hee hee hee! As long as I have my powers, any woman is mine! I'll be famous forever!"

"You think so?" Yami smirked from the doorway.

"Ack!! Yugi…!!"

"Too bad, Kokurano…Your prediction failed." Yami's smile was starting to frighten Kokurano. "Well, `prophet'? Let's play a game!"

`Ahhh…Is that…Yami? Is he rescuing me? Why…I can't move…" Anzu fell even further into the drugged sleep.

"The rules are simple. We spread some papers on this desk and put your bottle of chloroform on top of them! Then we take turns pulling papers out without tipping over the bottle. With your powers, it'd be simple to win, right? And if you don't play, I'll expose you!"

"Alright…"

Soon the bottle was balanced on the edge of the table, and it was Kokurano's turn.

"Now what?" Yami asked, smirking. "There's only one way left to safely remove a page! Levitate the bottle if you can."

Kokurano said, "I can!" And closed his eyes and concentrated. `I can see…I can see the bottle floating!' "Look! It's floating!"

"Why don't you try pulling the paper out? That'll prove everything."

The bottle fell down when the mad-eyed Kokurano pulled the page away, and so did he as the gas took effect. Yami walked over to where Anzu lay. Lightning danced.

"What…it was you, Yami!"

"Yes, Mazaki-sama." Yami helped her up.

"How did you know Kokurano came after me?"

"He attempted to make his prediction about Master come true, and I awakened to protect him. He left while I was distracted, and I needed to find him to make sure he did not try again. Master had noticed him looking at you oddly, so I came here."

"You're really smart." Anzu wasn't completely sure she believed him. Yugi had brought Kokurano to Yami's attention earlier: what if he had done something to make him do this? How was she supposed to know? `Maybe I'm just paranoid…' Yami had walked over to Kokurano and pulled open his cloak. Hundreds of cards pinned to it were revealed. Yami nodded.

"So," he said, turning to Anzu, "You sought Kokurano's aid to discover my intentions?"

"Wha…how did you know? Can you…"

Yami smiled. "No, I can't read minds. But it wasn't that hard to figure out. You aren't the sort of person who believes in psychics, Mazaki-sama. If you can find a true magician, I would appreciate it if you would let me know. My protections are probably rather out of date."

"Protections?"

"My spells to ward Master, and alert me if he is under threat. I set them up when I first awoke. And I'm not as smart as you seem to think I am. The idea of linking with Master didn't even occur to me. I could have done it the last time I awoke, if I had thought of it. I don't really know anything except the important things."

"What are `the important things'?"

"What I need to know to protect Master."

"Why do you care so much? About him I mean."

"Well, apart from the fact that he rescued me from a fate worse than death…he is light, and life, and kindness, and trust, and the power to dispel the darkness, and…."Yami held out his hands as though trying to grab words out of the air. "He is…he is the God of Dawn. He is… everything." He lowered his hands. "I don't understand how anyone could even think of harming him. Even Jounouchi-sama…why?"

"I think Jou had some stupid idea about making him stronger. And you curse people to make them better."

"But only when they are broken already…Master is perfect, he does not need to be changed, if cruelty could accomplish it…I hope to make him stronger, but if not if I have to hurt him to do it."

"Huh?"

"Once I can stay awake more…I shall teach him magic, so he does not need to rely on me for his protection."

"Why do you want him not to need you?"

Yami sighed. "Well, first, the puzzle might decide to take me away at any time: also people often come to hate those they are too dependant on. Yugi is almost a man, his instinct is to seek independence. I wish him to want to have me, not solely keep me around because he needs me."

"People hate what they are forced to be dependant on…"

Laughter. "Mazaki-sama, do you hate your parents for giving you life and sheltering you? I could never hate Master."

`I almost believe you.'

Flash.

"Oh good, Anzu! You're fine! Do you still want to go shopping?"

VAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVA VAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAV

Well! I guess it's a good thing I didn't add that onto the last chapter. My longest chappie! Be grateful!

Pharaohs Angel: Glad you liked the fluff.

Silvershadowfire: Huh? What did you think would confuse people? And the reason they didn't have a problem with him in the manga was because they thought he was just part of Yugi, not a separate person.

Strega: Congrats on account! Glad you liked, and indeed he did!

Amber Eyes: Death-T is when in the manga Yugi duels Kaiba for the second time, after his grandpa duelled him and lost the blue-eyes…there's a lot more to it than they show in the first anime episode. I'll do my version later.

Edmondia Dantes: Wow, is it really you?! Love your stuff! I've read summaries, and I don't see how unsubbed eps would be much better, but thanks for the suggestion.

Anime Crazed: Yes, but not always…And it will definitely be Y/Y!

Angel's Charm: Thanks, and here is the update.

Sansi: To Yugi, anyways. To people who mess with him…

Tears-in-the-dark: Yes, Yugi is Yami's world. He is totally devoted. Change Yugi? I would never do such a thing! The point of AU is to do the characters more realistic than the original. And glad to have made you laugh.

Osiris Lee: I am not happy with how long it is taking to get to the good stuff! Why this is not two chappies.

Angel Reaper: Yes, Kenshin is awesome! Vathara has done a story with him, it's not Yu-gi-oh but it is still great, read it everyone! And of course I'm right. Kawaiiness good! And I agree, I don't like how she's portrayed then. Putting herself in danger to draw Yami out? Wtf?

SilverWing147: Thanks, and here is the update. And thanks for putting me on favorite authors and Author Alert!