Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Do You Dream of Me? ❯ Affection ( Chapter 6 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: If I owned Yu-gi-oh, Yugi would spend a lot of time talking to Yami, instead of not asking him who he is until after Duelist Kingdom!

VAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAV AVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAV

Yugi hummed happily to himself, staring out the window as he stroked the puzzle. He'd gotten to feel Yami's mind while he was awake! It was so different from when he was asleep.

When he was asleep…all Yugi could feel was pleasure and affection. Lazy curls of gratitude, trying to share what was making Yami so happy.

When he was awake…Strength. Bravery. An analytical, intelligent, genius-class mind. A mind that was just as devoted to Yugi.

Dedicated to his defence and the safety of his friends.

-Do you know how lucky I am to have you?- He sent, stroking the puzzle and pulling the sleepy Yami into a mental hug.

Yami was shocked. Blinked. Then he sent what he felt. Warmth. Light. Freedom from pain. Acceptance from the cared-for one. The chance to protect him, to be needed, to be wanted. Getting stronger. Recovering from the injuries to his spirit he had suffered. Soon to be able to give the Master his wish, to speak to him. The amazement that the Master would wish to speak with one who was nothing compared to him.

-So I guess you think you're much more lucky than I am, huh? You're wrong.-

Reluctance to argue. But…

-So close. You're actually thinking of answers! But not thought, words quite yet. It's amazing you can think this well when you're still asleep! It's probably because you're so smart. You're a lot smarter than I am, you know.-

Master perfect.

-You're so nice to think that, but I'm not that smart.-

Outrage. Who lied to Master? Who?!

Laugh. -You know, we really have to do something about the way you worship me, it's cute but it'd get old real fast. You're a person. You're my equal. I don't want to just use you, I want to be your friend.

Amazement. Negation.

-What? Nevermind, it's obviously too complex for feelings. I can't wait to talk to you!- :Hug!:

Yugi turned his attention back to class, just in time for Anzu's question.

"What about you?"

"Um…what?"

Laughter from the class.

"What do you think we should do for the school festival?"

"I'd have to say games, carnival games!! You know, like at an amusement park…"

The class looked thoughtful, than began to show signs of enthusiasm. Jou stood up and shouted, "Awright! Carnival games it is!!"

VAVAVAVAVAV

Everything was going great. Anzu even managed to get the best booth spot in the lottery! But three days before the festival…

"How strange…There seems to be someone in our space! What are you guys doing?!"

"We're getting ready for the school festival." Anzu replied, confused and annoyed.

"Don't be ridiculous! This school festival space is the stomping ground of senior class D!"

-Yami, I think you're going to need to wake up soon. This looks dangerous…-

"What do you mean, stomping ground? We won this space in the lottery!" Anzu was getting angry.

"Lottery!!! HA HA HA HA HA! Listen up, underclassman! This is where we traditionally make okonomiyaki every year! Get rid of these rotten carnival games! Beat it!"

Jou went to stand up for Anzu, but stuck in the game he was working on, he was an easy target. At the threat to the one he owed and his Master cared for, Yami awoke and went over to him, but before he could heal him, the senior instructed his goons to ram the games stall with their grill!

Yami narrowed his eyes, and the grill shattered. While everyone watched the seniors try to pick the shards out of their hands, Yami healed Jou as his Master watched.

He smiled. He was proud to have handled the situation so well. He Master would be proud of him? He was about to ash Jou if he was alright, when the boss of the class knocked Anzu to the ground.

"Just cause we gotta get a new grill doesn't mean you can keep your lousy games! Guys, smash them!"

The goons couldn't help, as their hands were too torn up. The senior, Goro, growled, and reached up to the sign only to have his hand knocked away by Yami, annoyed at having his peaceful solution ruined.

"Don't even think about it." He drawled.

`Who does this punk think he is…dangerous.' He thought, looking at Yami's eyes.

"A place with so many witnesses is not good for settling this. Do you want the teachers to come? Meet me here at midnight. If you beat me, I'll stand aside." Yami whispered.

"What's to stop me taking you out right now, before someone gets a teacher? Yeow!"

Goro's hand, the one that had almost touched the sign was twisted behind his back suddenly. `So…strong! I couldn't even slow him down…'

"This is what. And if you win, I'll put your grill back together. You don't have enough money for a new one." Yami whispered.

"What do you mean you'll put it back together? It's in shards!"

"The same way I broke it." Yami smirked.

Goro quailed. "You broke it? You didn't even touch it!"

"How? Magic, what else? And unless you want a personal demonstration of my powers, you won't try anything to get rid of our games before our fight. Or after, if you lose. I don't like cheaters." A shark's smile. Red eyes gleamed.

Goro looked around. Nothing was moving besides them, and why was it so dark all of a sudden? Magic. `What is he?' "Look, I don't want any trouble…"

"Really?" Another smile.

"We'll just use the spot we got. It's no big."

"Really?" Yami studied Goro. He laughed, than said mockingly, "Good for you. A wise decision. A bully like you, who preys only on the weak, wouldn't have faired at all well against me. Now go." Yami released Goro's hand, and the world returned to normal. Goro's classmates were heading off to he Nurse, Jou was getting up off the ground, and Yami turned towards to him, dismissing Goro, who followed his buddies to have his wrist looked at.

"Are you alright, Jounouchi-sama?"

"Yami? So that's why he backed down? Thanks, man."

"It was nothing."

"For you maybe. Or me. But for most people…"

Anzu and Honda came over.

"What's going on?" Honda asked. "Why is that punk Goro leaving?"

"Yami here put he wind up him. Right?"

"Correct. He was rather easy to frighten. His type always are."

"I wouldn't count on it. He's a vindictive bastard. He'll try something."

"I already have protective spells on all of you, should I put one on the booth? Master would be displeased if his idea was ruined."

They looked at each other. "Sure, go ahead." Anzu said.

Yami closed his eyes, than opened them again. "Done. And now I must bid you farewell. Unless you have another concern? Jounouchi-sama, I still owe you that favor…" He trailed off questioningly.

"No, I'm alright man. You can go back to bed or whatever."

Yami bowed, and when he straightened his eyes were purple.

"Hi guys!" Yugi was even more hyper than normal.

"What are you so cheerful about?" Jou asked.

"Yami was so proud, handling that guy, he was great! He's the coolest, isn't he? I'm so lucky!"

"Um…yeah. We're glad you're happy, aren't we guys?"

"Yeah."

VAVAVAVAVAV

Yugi and Anzu walked home together.

"So, what was it like?"

"When he was awake? Just sort of…tired, and like watching a late-night movie curled up on the couch in blankets with hot chocolate and your mom staying by to see if you want anything…it's sometimes nice to be sick."

"Right. You get to miss school."

"Yes, it's really annoying to be sick on a weekend, isn't it?"

"But wasn't it scary, being a passenger in your own body?"

"I could never be scared when Yami's there. He kept hugging me and making sure I was alright…"

"Hugging you?" Anzu couldn't picture the controlled, deadly Yami hugging anyone. Much less Yugi. Although he was cute a cuddly.

"Yes, he's very affectionate. He always cuddles with me, and when he's really happy he nuzzles me…" Yugi blushed, aware he'd said too much.

"What? He can touch you?"

"Not for real, it's just sort of mental, like he'll send feelings and I'll interpret them as hugs or whatever." Now was not the time to tell her about the soul room. He'd been going there every night. It was so nice just to hold Yami, have him curled up against him, and he hadn't been tired in the mornings since he'd started.

"Send?"

"Well…It's send when he's awake, and I send stuff to him…I'm sort of always aware of what he's feeling, or thinking when he is thinking, but he can sort of draw my attention to things, or get enthusiastic…he's just so kawaii!"

"Kawaii…"

"Why are you looking at me like I'm insane?"

"Nothing. It's just that, well…"

"Oh. That's how he acts around you. He really wants you to think well of him. When he's asleep he doesn't pretend. Oh."

"Oh what?"

"Jounouchi-sama was correct. Goro is attempting to attack the booth. I'd better intervene before he injures himself. Goodbye, Mazaki-sama." Yami bowed. "I should be done soon, it you want to wait at Master's house? He would like to continue your conversation."

"Alright…" Yami had disappeared.

VAVAVAVAVAV

"What the hell is this? I can't tear this paper! I can't even get it to bend!"

"Strengthening materials is quite simple. A more intelligent person would have given up sooner. It's not a good idea to put strain on that wrist."

"You! What kind of trick did you pull?! I'm not falling for it! I'm not scared of you!"

"No trick. And you certainly were before." Yami circled him as shadows rose. "Let's play a game. How about…if you can break one thing here, you can break all of it. Agreed? Choose carefully."

"I'll break your scrawny neck!" Goro lunged.

"Wrong." Yami leapt out of the way and Goro ran into a pole. "The correct choice was that stick you brought to smash things with: it was not protected by my spells. If you had thought…but you have no control over your baser instincts. Those of weak hearts always lose. And as for your punishment…since you wished to destroy what others worked so hard on, let all you seek to create be destroyed by your own actions!"

A golden light shot from Yami's outstretched hand. Goro found himself walking away. "What the hell?" He was soon out of sight. A smashing sound started.

A gentle questioning touched Yami's mind. He almost crooned at the beauty of the mind he touched. `So soft…'

--Don't worry, precious one. He won't be able to tell on us. I would never jeopardize your safety. And the others aren't going to be very happy with him, first for backing down against me earlier, and then for their booth being destroyed.-

Regret.

--You care about his other classmates? You're so kind and good….but they don't deserve your concern Master, not if they would allow Goro to act as he did. Any good ones among them would be happy to see Goro taken down a peg.-

Laughter.

Yami smiled. He had pleased his Master! He sent love as hard as he could. His perfect Master was happy with him. Everything was perfect, as it had been since Master had freed him as no other could have. Only Master deserved Yami's service. He could luxuriate in the feel of Master's dreaming mind forever…but he could not.

He could not harm Master, and it would harm him to deny him his rightful control over his body.

Concern.

--No Master, it's not you that's making me sad. You could never make me sad. I just wish I was stronger, so I didn't have to steal from you…--

Reassurance.

--Oh Master, you're so generous…thank you for talking to me all the time. I know that I must be boring you since I can't answer very well, but it's so kind of you to talk to me…I'm not worth your time.-

Furious denial.

--I'm sorry I made you angry Master! Please forgive me!-

Sleepy assent. A wave of caring that made him fall to his knees and blink back tears. --Master…--

Yami shook his head. -I am sorry Master, for keeping you waiting so long. Please forgive me. I will take you home now and you may return to you conversation with Mazaki-sama.-

Reluctance. A wistful desire for things to stay like this for longer…

But Yami was already curled up in his mind, and Anzu was in front of him, asking if he was okay.

VAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAV AVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAV

Wow, lots of reviews! If you like this, read Forgiveness, also by me. Shameless self-promotion, I know, but it's taking me forever for me to get to the yaoi in this, and I'm getting there soon on that one! K/YY/Y, and I promise it'll be good! I'm going to have to post the complete version on Mediaminer.

Strega: Thanks! That's my reading of Yami. And the Master thing is significant: he'll only call him Yugi under certain circumstances… And I'm so lucky to get a review from Edmondia! Incidently, you reviewed twice. Thanks for saying my description was good!

Pharaohs Angel: Here you go, and thanks for listing it.

YamixYugiforever: Are you reading ahead? And thanks!

Flowacat: Word!

Yami/Yugi luvver: I know. This is AU. How things would have turned out if Yami had moved into Yugi's mind permanently instead of staying in the puzzle. It's supposed to be close, but different.

Osiris-Lee: Yes, they are going to be in love, it just can't really happen until they can talk. Although Yami's there. And, um…

Chibi Pharaoh Yami: Why would I want to change Yugi? And here you go!

Tenshi no Haru-Kaze: Thanks, and here you go!

Sansi: Exactly!

Angel Reaper: Thanks for the compliments, and I promise you my versions will be good.

Amarin Rose: Poor you! They don't have the manga where you are? I get the magazine. Shonen Jump is in America! Love them. Thanks for the compliment.

SilverWing147: Thanks! I love compliments, and I'm getting so many…

Lily Maxwell the Dark Angel: OMG you're on my favorites list. It means a lot coming from you.

Amber Eyes: No prob.

Chibi Serena: Thanks!

Silvershadowfire: Here's more!

Panzi: thanks!

Cherazz22784: Thanks!

Dark-tyrell: Updates weekly if at all possible!