Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Do You Dream of Me? ❯ Chapter 53

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Yu-gi-oh.
 
Well, DYDOM is drawing to a close. I will be writing the last chapter the day after this one is written.
 
The project was to created a just slightly AU novelization of the manga. Be both a `copy' of the original work, as all fanfiction is, and a new thing. All in all, I think I did a pretty big job for my first big project.
 
I wish the hiatus in the middle hadn't happened. I'm glad this is finally drawing to a close, and I'm proud of myself for seeing it through: I promised myself a long time ago I wouldn't be one of those authors who abandons projects.
 
There will be more notes in the next/last chapter, but for now I want to say I love all my readers. Thank you.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - -
 
Inwardly, the thief laughed. You're too late! It sent a chill down my spine when you figured out Zorc's Achilles heel, but if the opening closes, I have nothing to fear! I win!
 
Huh?
 
“Poki!” One of the monsters Yugi had tamed was flying forward. It wedged itself in the hole! It pleaded for the adventurers to use this chance to destroy Zorc, even if it got destroyed.
 
“Thank you Poki,” Joey smiled. But it wasn't too late. “We won't sacrifice a friend we've fought alongside. An evil soul isn't worth an ounce of the life of a friend.” Man, being all medieval was making him poetic.
 
Poki was really touched, but couldn't free itself from the hole!
 
“Let's go! The beast tamer attacks! Roll, dice, roll!”
 
Yugi promised the monster her would save it. 02! The hand appeared. “Training hand! Jet Stream Punch!” The hand punched straight through Zorc, grabbing Poki.
 
“All right! He hit the weak point dead on!” The adventurers cheered.
 
The thief was doubled over, clutching his stomach.
 
“Now it's the diabolist's turn!” Seto smiled. 01! “Hell Queen Strike!”
 
Zorc was cut in two by the draconic figure that answered Seth's summons.
 
“We did it! We beat Zorc!”
 
No, not yet…
 
What do you mean, Yami? Yugi wished he could touch Yami's spirit for reassurance. He wanted to be held right now. This game had gone on so long, and they'd been in so much danger… he felt the lack of Yami's warm arms.
 
He hoped it would be over soon. Then they could find out why Bakura's spirit was acting like this and everything would turn out okay. He just knew it.
 
Provided they survived the game. Bakura's spirit, the Ring's spirit was dangerous.
 
“Zorc isn't dead yet?” The top half of Zorc was pushing itself up.
 
Bakura laughed. “The fact that you didn't finish Zorc on this turn will be your downfall! On the next turn, Zorc and the adventurers must roll for initiative again! Yugi! This is the last die roll! We roll at the same time! The winner goes first!” If I win, I'll have Zorc self-destruct and take the adventurers with him! You'll all be dead, including the manifestation of my host's rebellion, and I'll win. Win!
 
“I'll take you on, `Dark Master!' This roll means life or death!”
 
Seto looked peeved he wasn't rolling. But then, Yami was the one with the better trained magic. So… he would have to trust. Seth trusted him.
 
This would prove things one way or the other, wouldn't it?
 
He still loved extreme games. The mind crush hadn't taken away his love of danger, though he'd lost his love of death.
 
“We each throw the dice! The closest to 00 goes first! And that should be all it takes! This roll also determines the attack success! So it determines who goes first-and who kills who! The instant my roll beats yours, Zorc will self-destruct! By destroying all of you, I will be victorious!” The thief looked mad.
 
Yami, I know you know I love you, but I want to say it again. And that I trust you.
 
That trust was a burden. He couldn't fail while he carried it. I know. I love you as well. But we will not lose.
 
Seth was only relieved that Seto was safe. Killing him wouldn't kill Seto's body, like killing Yugi would send Yami back to the Puzzle. However, with Yugi dead the Puzzle would shatter, and its power of unity would not be available to free him again and reunite him with Seto.
 
He had to trust in `Yami,' he had to trust that Seto would be able to go on without him if the worst happened. This Bakura was a deadly opponent. One he had faced before and not done well against.
 
No, Seto was too wise to destroy himself again. Unless… unless he challenged Bakura for vengeance. Then Bakura would destroy him.
 
“And if we both roll the same number, we both die! I blow up at the same time you attack me!” Bakura concluded. “Either way, I win!”
 
Yami! We're channeling our faith into your hands! Anzu wished she could talk mind-to-mind, but she knew everyone was sharing her thoughts.
 
All their power came to Yami, who placed it in the dice. They would not fail.
 
Bakura sensed the force and smiled. It's useless to struggle, you will die in this world, along with Zorc! Even if my avatar dies, as long as the Millennium Ring exists, my soul will live forever! And now, with the Millennium Ring, I'll seal a part of my own soul into these dice! I'll call them… Doppelganger Dice! He focused his power. Seal complete! There's no way I won't get a Super Critical when I roll these Doppelganger Dice! “Yugi! This is the end!”
 
“Let's do it! The roll of life or death!”
 
Yami's dice stopped first. 00! A Super Critical!
 
But Bakura rolled the same.
 
He laughed fiercely. “What a cruel strike for you! At the moment when you were sure of victory! To fall down into the jaws of defeat! This is great! This was the best game ever!”
 
Yami growled softly.
 
Bakura ignored him. “Two sets of double zeros! The most dramatic ending! Everybody dies!” Except for me… the players die and the spirits will die with them, all but me and my host. “Just as you leap forward to attack, Zorc blows up, taking you with h—“ Bakura noticed something out of the corner of his eye.
 
His dice were shaking. What… The dice are cracking!
 
A ghostly figure appeared above them.
 
“It's you! Ryou Bakura!”
 
“I don't want to lose any more friends! Even if it means my soul should shatter!” Quiet determination on his host's soft face.
 
His soul is in the dice? Could it be, when I sealed part of my soul into the dice, he somehow sent his too? But… if he put his entire soul in the dice, he can't go back to his body! That's suicide! He gave his life to destroy the dice…
 
“Yugi, everyone, thank you for believing in me.”
 
They stared, aghast. Bakura!
 
“No! Stop this!” the thief cried out.
 
“I won't let you kill my friends!”
 
“Then I… I…” The fake Bakura clenched his fists. “I surrender! The game is over!”
 
“No!” Zorc howled!
 
Bakura's body spat up blood suddenly, the thief clutching his chest as the Zorc figure began to glow red, black streams swirling around it.
 
The same vapors that began to swirl around Bakura's body.
 
The thief fell to the ground as everyone stared. What was going on?
 
“I'll destroy you all!” Zorc screamed.
 
“Anzu! Use your magic attack!”
 
“Apprentice Fin…” Anzu's words were cut off.
 
Zorc exploded.
 
“No!” Seto roared, jumping to his feet. Seth! No!
 
I'm right here. A bodiless kiss to his forehead.
 
Great, then I just looked like an idiot. No one had better say anything. What happened?
 
Suddenly I was returned to the Item. Everyone else was getting up.
 
Including Bakura. Who had a glowing gold eye on his forehead.
 
Yami's eyes widened. “You?”
 
“Us,” the Items confirmed, frowning. “That was closer than we would have liked. Well, now you know your enemy.”
 
“The false Bakura?”
 
A glare. “He is our son. Harm him and your torment before will look like nothing.
 
Yami gulped.
 
“He alone survived the massacre that created us, the massacre your father permitted and yours, Seth, committed.” The Items growled, Bakura's face looking not quite human. “You deserve to suffer for their crimes!”
 
Yami and Seth looked at each other. At least… at least there was a reason.

Yami had to restrain Yugi from shouting out it wasn't enough of one. Seto knew when to keep silent.
 
“Our deaths and rebirth allowed Zorc entrance to this plane. He slowly gained control of your father, Seth, and when our son tried to control him to gain our revenge he corrupted our son. He prevented us from taking our vengeance, all those years, to hasten his freedom! Otherwise we could have killed Akunadin ourselves!” They hissed. “We fight him even now. Destroy him for us, then you will have your freedom, Pharaohs.”
 
Yami bowed his head in gratitude.
 
Yugi was a little worried. Freedom could mean many things.
 
`Bakura's' eyes closed and the eye on his forehead disappeared. He suddenly swayed. Honda jumped and caught him before he hit the ground.
 
Bakura's eyes blinked open. “Everyone, are you all right?”
 
“We're fine, buddy.” Jou clapped him on the shoulder, smiling. “Thanks to you.”
 
“I'm so sorry, I didn't know for so long and then he… tied me up, it felt like.” Bakura lifted a hand to his forehead. “I'm so sorry.” The Ring glinted around his neck.
 
“Why did your spirit do all of this, Bakura?” Anzu asked, sitting next to him and Honda carefully sat him up.
 
My spirit? I don't control him. I'm his host.” Bakura blinked at her.
 
“Well, Yami always does what Yugi wants, and Seth and Seto get along too.” She didn't know them well enough to give details. “What is he like?”
 
Bakura looked away. “I… he said he was paying rent by making it so that I could play with my friends forever.” He tried to push himself up.
 
Jou held him down. “Hey, man, stay still. You just got really beat up. Sorry about that.”
 
“No, I need to, there are souls trapped in the other figurines. I have to free them.” Jou helped him stand up this time and walk over to the case. “I figured out how to use the Ring when I put my soul in the dice… I should be able to put them back.” He gripped the Ring firmly, eyes determined.
 
Yami came over and put a hand on his shoulder. “Let us help.”
 
Bakura was hesitant.
 
“Please? We owe you our thanks. Without you we would have lost.” Yami bowed his head and thanks. “Without you, Yugi would have died and I would have failed.”
 
“You… do you really care about him?” What was Bakura looking for in Yami's eyes?
 
Yami smiled and nodded. “More than anything. I would return to torment for him in a heartbeat.”
 
“He said he was doing it for me. He was so unhappy when I resisted him. But I had to.” Bakura touched the ring. “Please help me. I don't want these people to suffer any longer because of me.”
 
“It wasn't your fault buddy,” Jou said firmly.
 
“…Maybe. But it's my responsibility.” The Ring started to glow and he swayed. Yami reached out to him but then Bakura straightened. “Oh.” He looked surprised, amazed. “You're helping me?”
 
I almost killed you.
 
You did. You also were trying to kill my friends. What's the catch?
 
I made a mistake. I thought you would like having these figurines.
 
Why do you care? I'm just a host. You've hurt me before.
 
I… I was being controlled. I won't let it happen again. Rage.
 
I can't trust you.
 
Of course you can't trust me, I'm a thief. Wry acceptance.
 
You're a killer. That's what you are.
 
Yes, that too.
 
I'm not going to be able to get rid of you, are I? Briefly, Ryou considered dying. He did have a huge death wish, didn't he?
 
I won't go away if you die. I'll just take another host. One I will like a lot less. You were brave today, I admire that. You remind me of a less… tainted me.
 
You have an odd way of showing it.
 
Silence in his mind. He turned away from the empty figurines to find everyone looking at him. He smiled weakly. “He's not gone. You should stay away from me.”
 
They all shook their heads. “You're our friend, Bakura.”
 
“Please, call me Ryou.” He smiled again, a real smile this time. “Thank you all.”
 
“No, thank you.”
 
His friends. They were his friends. And they wouldn't fall into comas, nor would he be able to get rid of them.
 
The curse was over, wasn't it? Even if the spirit was still there inside him. He could feel it.
 
Two darknesses that scared him but a shadow that shielded him. Now he knew what to look for, the other was there.
 
But so were his friends.