Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Forgiveness ❯ Rejection ( Chapter 9 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: If I owned Yu-gi-oh, Kaiba wouldn't be the tin man.

VAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAV AVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAV

Kaiba ate breakfast slowly. It was great to not be rushing in the morning. He looked over at Yami, who was picking at his eggs, pushing them around on the plate. Kaiba sighed. 'Of course he's worried, he has no idea what to expect… But it'll be fine. Yugi has to forgive him. But then what?'

'If Yugi takes him back, then… NO! He promised he wouldn't forget about me! He'd never break a promise!' Kaiba shook his head. 'Let's just get this over with.' He finished up his breakfast quickly, and after saying goodbye to Mokuba, who always got up early to say hi to him even though high school started at 7:30 while Mokuba's school started at 8:00.

Before, he would have just nodded or grunted, displeased to have his thoughts interrupted. Today, he gave Mokuba a hug. Mokuba lingered in his arms. It felt… good. He'd missed this, as hard as he'd tried to convince himself otherwise. Missed human contact. Missed love, both the family love he'd given up and the romantic love he hadn't looked for.

He had both now. And he wasn't losing either.

Yami had watched, smiling. Kaiba felt his love and approval through the link. When Mokuba had finally pulled away, he'd gone over to Yami and hugged him too.

"Since you're going to school with big brother, you're going to talk to Yugi, right? Good luck! Not that you'll need it."

Yami had hugged Mokuba back, whispering, "Thank you, Mokuba."

Then he'd closed his eyes for a moment and turned to Kaiba. "What are you going to do with the puzzle?"

"I think I'll keep it in my suitcase. There's room for it and my books and stuff. I'll take it out when we talk to Yugi." Kaiba didn't want Yami to feel his reluctance to go through with this. Even though Yami had promised… how could he refuse the other half of his soul? Kaiba could feel the raw need flowing through Yami's veins. Could he fight gravity?

"Alright. When will you…?"

"At recess. There probably won't be enough time before school. I'll bring the puzzle out then. Try to sleep, okay? It won't do you any good to spend the time worrying."

A sigh, and a raised eyebrow. Kaiba laughed. 'Yeah, right. Sleep, waiting for someone you love to accept or refuse you? No way.'

"Well, come on." Kaiba felt Yami vanish into the puzzle as he put it away, and he walked out to the limo that would take him to school.

VAVAVAVAVAV

Yugi was staring at him.

Kaiba had gotten to class early. When Yugi had got in, there were too many people in the room for them to talk there. Yugi had still started walking over to him, until the teacher had called for everyone to get in their seats.

Yugi had stared at him since. The teacher had called on him, and judging from his response he hadn't been paying attention to the class at all.

Kaiba could feel the gaze on the back of his neck like a laser. It was creeping him out. But he wouldn't look back. He didn't want to admit weakness like that. So he just kept looking at his book, like the rest of the class. Even thought he'd already practically memorized the page from looking at it for so long.

Why was he reacting as though Yugi was the enemy? Was it force of habit, or…

He closed the book and randomly opened it. This was a game he often played in class. Often there was interesting stuff that the class skipped. He'd look around and find something vaguely non-boring and read it to keep from falling asleep.

But he wasn't being bored now. He couldn't concentrate on class. He couldn't concentrate on… Aztec religion. The only thing he could think about was that stare.

Yami was pacing, he could feel it. Waiting, and worrying, and bored. But he didn't want to talk to him. He'd sense the worry.

When Yugi had been walking over to him, his face was… hard. Under it… was Yugi worried about him? What Pegasus had done to him… or what Yami had?

Perhaps Yugi had just been determined to get the puzzle and Yami back. After all, the old Seto Kaiba could hardly be expected to give up a powerful magical talisman without a fight.

Right. It was probably that. But why was he so worried about what was coming? He just had a feeling that things weren't going to go well. That things were going to go horribly.

Was he just worried that Yami would fall into Yugi's arms and forget all about him? Or pretend to still care out of sympathy, but be all Yugi's as he had been before?

He shook his head. He'd been over this. Yami had chosen to love him. Had decided to live to be with him. No one… he smiled as he remembered last night. Yami had granted his every wish as soon as he had thought of them. His soul had been smothered in caring.

It hadn't been just a one-night stand. That kind of passion, devotion… it was real. It couldn't just blow away with the dawn.

Right? It wasn't as if he'd had any experience with this. All he could do was hope. And trust.

He jerked his head up as the bell rang. The teacher left and they waited for the next one to come in. Only one more period to go until recess. Until he would find out, one way or another, what his destiny was.

VAVAVAVAVAV

Kaiba waited by the classroom door for Yugi. He was talking to his friends. A moment later he headed over, leaving them behind. So he'd wanted a private conversation? Probably a good idea. Yugi came up to him and opened his mouth to speak, but Kaiba shushed him and motioned for him to follow.

They soon arrived behind the library and Kaiba turned. "Yu…"

"Give it back." Yugi had his fists clenched, but his voice was level. He was death-glaring Kaiba. "Give me back the puzzle. It's mine, and you had no right to take it from me!"

Kaiba bent down and opened his briefcase. Yami appeared. He turned around. "Yugi…"

Yugi stared. His eyes softened involuntarily. "You… you've got your own body? How?"

"I could do it all along, I just didn't have any reason to. Yugi…" Yami knelt and bowed his head. "I don't have the right to ask for it, but please! I wouldn't have done it if there was any other choice!" He was almost crying. "I couldn't let him hurt you! I couldn't let your Grandfather and so many others remain captive! If I had left him alive, he would have come after you. Please! Please forgive me. Please?"

Yami kept still, not daring to look at Yugi.

Kaiba, however, hadn't taken his eyes off him. Yugi's resolve seemed to leave his eyes temporarily at Yami's plea, but it soon returned. He stood silent.

Kaiba broke the silence. "Yugi, the puzzle's yours, but I'm not going to let you kill Yami. I'll only give it back to you when you forgive him. He saved me, he saved all of us. What he did… it was harsh, but it was the right thing to do. That bastard…" Kaiba clenched his fists. "That bastard Pegasus got what was coming to him. It was justice."

Yugi seemed to come to a decision. "Yes."

"Yes what?" Kaiba asked. Yami still hadn't moved.

"Yes. Give me back the puzzle."

Yami's head lifted up… and fell back down. "Don't, Kaiba."

"Yami!?" Yugi was shocked and angry.

"Don't, Kaiba. He has not forgiven me. He intends to break it."

"You bastard!" Yugi lunged for the puzzle, but Kaiba batted him away and closed his briefcase.

Yugi turned to Yami. "You liar! You said you'd let me kill you for what you did! I knew you manipulated Kaiba to save yourself! What did you do to him!? What!?"

"He didn't do anything. I just couldn't let you kill him." Kaiba looked at Yami, who had curled up more and seemed to be trying to disappear. 'How can Yugi do this to him?'

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry! I promised Kaiba I wouldn't let you kill me! I'm sorry!" Yami was crying now, a picture of misery.

But it wasn't melting Yugi's heart. "I swear, if you hurt him… I'll get you! I won't let you hurt anyone else! I'll kill you if it's the last thing I do!" And he ran at Yami.

Kaiba got in his way, and held him away from him as Yugi's arms flailed uselessly. "Why are you stopping me?! He's a monster! A demon or something! He shouldn't exist!"

Kaiba wondered why no one had been attracted by all the noise. A prosaic thought to have, in the midst of such a scene. 'Probably magic.'

He looked down at Yugi. "I won't let you hurt him. He doesn't deserve it. Go away, and don't bug me until you grow a brain, pipsqueak."

"Kaiba…" Yami whispered sadly.

"Well, he is." Kaiba pushed Yugi roughly away. "Get out of my sight."

Yugi glared at Yami again and left.

Kaiba went over to Yami and gathered him in his arms. "Are you alright? That must have been rough."

"I… I've betrayed him. But… I couldn't break my promise to you." Yami kept crying softly.

"Shhh, shhh." Kaiba rubbed his back, and after a while Yami relaxed a little. "Kaiba…"

Kaiba stiffened. "Why… why don't you call me Seto?"

"Huh?"

"Normally, people who… have done what we've done don't use last names."

"Oh. The courtesy rules here… I usually just call people what Yugi does, so I didn't think about it… I'm sorry, Seto."

"It's alright. I was worried that…" He held Yami tighter. "Stupid of me, I know."

"I denied my other half what he desired for you. I love you, Seto. You shouldn't doubt. I will love you forever." Yami leaned up, and Kaiba bent down to kiss him.

Neither of them heard the gasp, they were so wrapped up in each other.

Yugi ran from his vantage point behind the wall. He'd heard it all, and had peaked from behind the wall when he heard the silence. How could… 'He said he loved me! He said… how could he!? And now he's lying to Kaiba too… I have to stop him!' He ran, and cried, back to his friends.

They were waiting in the now deserted classroom. Tea held out her arms, seeing his distress, and he ran to her and wailed.

"What's…"

"Are you alright, Yug'?"

"Are you okay, man?"

Questions, questions. But he couldn't deal with them right now. Saying what he'd seen and heard aloud might somehow make it real.

'Why do I feel so betrayed? I know he was just trying to make me like him, or give in to his lusts… He's a murderer! If he really cared about me, he wouldn't have taken over my body! But… I came so close. So close to giving in. Seeing his body… I wanted him so much. I wanted him to take me in his arms and kiss me again. I wanted… No! He was controlling me! I don't feel that way about a murderer, I don't!'

He wailed and tried to convince himself he wasn't horribly alone while his friends exchanged glances over his head.

Finally he calmed down. He took deep breaths, and moved away from Tea.

"Guys…"

"Yes, Yugi?" Tea answered.

"Will you help me?"

"With what?" Joey asked.

"Tonight. I want to break into Kaiba's house and steal back my puzzle so I can break it. If you won't help me, I'll do it alone." He looked at them, his eyes full of fire.

They looked at each other. Finally Tristan looped his arm around Yugi's shoulder and said, "Alright buddy. We'll help. Right, guys?"

Everyone nodded.

Tea interjected, "But wouldn't Kaiba Corp. be a better place? My dad works there and he says Kaiba is always there really late. And he's got the puzzle with him, right?"

Yugi nodded. "Tell your parents you're sleeping over at my house. Meet me there at eight. Grandpa goes to bed early. We'll leave then. Alright?"

Everyone looked each other doubtfully, but… this was their friend. And if the spirit really was that dangerous… they'd seen him kill Pegasus like that. They couldn't just stand by. Yugi forgave everyone. If even he wouldn't forgive this Yami person…

"Alright."

VAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAV AVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAV

Pharaoh Atemu's Angel: Thanks for reviews at both ff and mediaminer!

Angelbaby: Sorry, S/YY next lemon. Trio at end.

Obsessed: Thanks!

Y-n-Y: And this won't help! And here is more!

SilverWing147: The pharaoh rules. And thanks!

Kawaii Chibi Yami: Fluff rocks. And here is update!

Hihana: This scene is why not right away.

Kathleen/heyy13: Uh… sorry. One might consider this a cliffy. Again, sorry! You won't have to wait more than a week though! And I love cookies!

LadySaturnGirl: Word.

Sasameyuki: Here you go.

Koishii No Tenshi2: See above. Oh! Sorry you got kicked off! You still have me on author alert in your original account. So one less person has me on alert. I feel bad now. Oh well, 31 isn't too bad.