Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Hopes and Fears ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own any of these characters except for perhaps Koike. I do not plan on making any profit from the fictional piece of work. Please don't sue me.
 
A/N: I forgot to mention this in the first chapter but the name of this story comes from the band's `Keane' album, `Hopes and Fears'. You can say that their wonderful emotion-filled songs inspired this story.
 
“Speech”
 
`Thoughts'
 
“0*****0” Change of Scene/Time Lapse
 
Chapter 3
 
“Moshi moshi! Shizuka speaking!” Shizuka said brightly.
 
“Shizuka-hime! Ah I'm glad I can get a hold of you.” Jounouchi said as he pushed down some more on the gas pedal. He moved the phone away from his ear when he heard loud screams.
 
“Sorry about that nii-sama! My friends say hello and that they love you. So what did you call for? You're lucky I'm on lunch break.”
 
“Ah sorry about that Shizu-chan but I forgot to mention we have dinner at tou-san's tonight. He has something to discuss with you.” He overtook a green Honda Civic that was driving way too slow. “I'll be coming to pick you…HEY WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU, YOU JACKASS? DID YOU BUY YOUR LICENSE OR WHAT?” Jounouchi shouted at someone who drove really close to his car.
 
“Umm nii-sama? Are you alright?”
 
“I'm fine Shizu-chan. Some asshole just drove dangerously close to my car. YEAH FUCK YOU TOO, YOU DIRTY MOTHER F…”
 
“NII-SAMA!!!!!” Shizuka shouted into her cell-phone. Her friends all looked at her and sweat dropped.
 
“Ah sorry about that sister but they really are annoying me. Yes what was I saying?”
 
“I kind of forgot too!”
 
“Ah yes I remember! I'll be coming to pick you up from school, want to beat the traffic and all.” He pushed down on the gas pedal some more in order to make the green light before it changed. He made it in time, leaving a trail of dust behind him. He chuckled as he looked into the mirror. “YEAH EAT MY DUST YOU BAKAYAROU!!!” He burst out laughing and Shizuka along with her friends shook their heads. “Yes now my beloved little sister, what time does your school end today?”
 
“Oh! I forgot to tell you. School is ending at one o'clock today because they are having a staff meeting.”
 
“Good. I'll be there at one waiting for you. Do try to keep your friends away from my car.” He heard her chuckle and he smiled.
 
“I doubt they'd be interested in the car when you're there in the flesh right before their eyes. Ah well lunch is almost over nii-chan. I'll see you in a half hour. Bye nii-chan!”
 
He pulled away the phone from his ear once again when he heard loud squeals. “Yeah bye Shizuka-chan!” he shouted over the squeals. He flipped his phone shut and sighed. It was going to be another traumatizing experience when he got to Shizuka's school.
 
HALF HOUR LATER…
 
The first set of students to burst through the school gates was met with a very dreamy sight. Jounouchi Katsuya dressed in a beige turtleneck sweater, a pair of khaki pants that were on the tight side, a brown leather jacket and some funky looking leather boots. He leaned casually against the side of his car, sunglasses covering his amber orbs and wind blowing his blond hair about in a way that made him look magical. Everyone stared.
 
Then suddenly, lots of squeals were heard coming from the horde of teenagers standing staring at him. In a blur of blue, there were at least fifty girls surrounding him screaming and shouting his name. Cameras and books appeared out of tin air. The boys simply stared at his car though some looked at him secretly.
 
Seeing the crowd just outside the school gates, Shizuka practically flew down the front stairs and then she burst through the hordes of screaming fan-girls. She launched herself into Jounouchi's awaiting arms and held on tightly. The crowd grew quiet as they watched the siblings embrace.
 
“I'm so happy to see you big brother!” she cried excitedly as she looked up at his smiling face.
 
“Same here Shizuka-hime. You've gotten taller since the last time I've seen you.” He patted her head softly to emphasize his point. The crowd of girls all went `awww!' at the same time. Suddenly two girls rushed forward, standing behind Shizuka grinning brightly at him. They poked her in her back rather hard and the auburn haired teenager turned and glared at them before spinning back around to her beloved older brother with a smile.
 
“Nii-sama, these are my two best friends. Naoko and Kisa.” She gestured to the two grinning ninnies behind her and they smiled sweetly at Jounouchi, fluttering their eyelashes like crazy.
 
“It's a pleasure to meet you, Naoko and Kisa. Arigato for taking care of my sister.” He flashed them a smile and they looked ready to melt into a puddle of goo. “Now Shizu-chan, we must be leaving soon.” He whispered to Shizuka who only nodded her head.
 
“But Jounouchi-sama! Please you must at least take some pictures with us!” A random fan-girl shouted from the crowd.
 
“Yes and please sign some autographs for your loyal fans.” Another fan-girl cried. Soon the whole horde of sweetly smelling girls was screaming for him to do something. Jounouchi really wanted to get out of there but they all started to use the puppy eyes and he knew that he was defeated. He could barely stand up to Yugi's and Shizuka's on their own, but a whole group of teenage girls? There was no way for him to not give in. He sighed as he nodded his head at them. They all squealed in delight.
 
“But you all have to get in line.” He said as he saw them rushing forward, looking ready to knock down anything or anyone to get what they wanted.
 
SOME MINUTES LATER…
 
Jounouchi forced a smile onto his face for the last girl who wanted a picture with him. His facial muscles were aching from smiling so much. `I can see why Kaiba scowls all the time.' He thought to himself as he put his arm around the girl's shoulders. Shizuka smiled brightly as she took the picture. She had become the official photographer for the fan-girls.
 
“Thanks Jounouchi-sama! I can't wait for your next book!” She said as she was pulled away by her scowling brother. The poor boy had to wait a whole half hour for his sister.
 
“Thanks so much for all your support! I hope that you will all support my next book which is coming out in two weeks.” Jounouchi said tiredly. “Ja ne!” He said as he got into the car. Shizuka waved goodbye to her friends and then hopped into the car as well, smiling brightly. She put her bag in the back seat and then buckled up. They waved one last time at the crowd of screaming girls and then he sped off.
 
“That was really nice of you big brother!”
 
“Remind me never to park in front the school again when next I come pick you up.” He sighed as Shizuka laughed.
 
“It's your fault really. Why didn't you just stay in the car and keep the windows up? No one would have known you were here.” She pulled her hair back into a ponytail and smiled. “You're so silly sometimes big brother.”
 
“Here I am, thinking I was brilliant and you tell me I'm silly. I'm hurt Shizu-chan.” He said in a fake sad voice. “Now young lady, I do not at all like the length of your skirt one bit.”
 
“But nii-sama!! This is the style! Besides my skirt isn't as short as the other girls' own.”
 
“I'm just teasing you. But really they should make sure that the skirts aren't too short. I saw some today that would make Anzu blush.” He smiled as she chuckled. “This is why the boys always do worst than the girls, because their showing off their legs and then the boys can't concentrate.”
 
“That's not true! Boys are just naturally dumber than girls.” She argued playfully. She knew who he was going to bring up next and she smiled.
 
“That is so not true! Name one girl that is smarter than Kaiba Seto!” He realized that he just did two strange things. One being that he said `so not true' and the other being that he called Kaiba Seto a genius who no one could outsmart. What was wrong with him?
 
`I knew it! He always brings up Kaiba in our arguments. Why doesn't he just tell him how he feels?' She thought to herself. Realizing that she didn't reply as yet she thought quickly of one girl who she knew was smart. “Rebecca is so much smarter than Kaiba and she's five years younger than he is!”
 
“That brat? Feh! She's smart but not as smart as Set…um Kaiba!”
 
“You're in love with him aren't you? Just admit it big brother!! You love Kaiba Seto!!” She teased him playfully. She didn't expect him to go all quiet and turn crimson. “Oh my gosh big brother! You really do love him?”
 
“I…it's just that I think he will be the only person to understand me. I like him a lot but I'm not sure if I love him as yet. He's still a major jerk!” he argued.
 
“So if you like him why don't you tell him you have feelings for him? Are you afraid?” She was happy that her brother finally felt that way about someone again.
 
“He…doesn't like me at all Shizuka.” `I'm not good enough for him. I'm not good enough for anyone as a matter of fact.' “I'd only be making a fool of myself if I go up to him and tell him that I have feelings for him.” `No one can love me. Not Mai, not Ryou, not Kaiba. I am worth no one's love.' He thought to himself bitterly.
 
“Why don't you think that he wouldn't like you? You're handsome, funny, smart and caring. Anyone would want that in a partner.” She knew that her brother, though he pretended to be strong, was rather insecure. He always thought that no one could like him; no one could have feelings for him. There were many people that loved him but he just didn't know it. She knew for a fact that Mai loved him. She probably still did. She had been so confused when Jounouchi had told her that they broke up. Mai had told her once that she would love Jounouchi forever because he never gave up on her, he had always believed in her. She had told her that he was like the sun, shining brightly and giving hope to everyone who was trapped in the darkness like herself. She was still baffled about why Mai chose Varon if she loved her brother so much.
 
“You say that because you are my sister, so you with your wonderful and pure heart will somehow magically see these non-existent qualities. Everyone else will not because they are not there for them to see.”
 
The ride to where Shizuka lived was quiet. Shizuka felt like crying. She didn't know why her beloved brother thought that way. She always showed him love, their father showed him love and his friends did. Why did he think he was so unloved, why did he think that no one could possibly love him? To her, he was the most wonderful person in the world. And as they walked up the stairs to the house, she realized why. It was their mother's fault.
 
“I have my things packed already; I'll just go in quickly and get my stuff.” She didn't want him to see their mother if it would only worsen his view of himself.
 
“I have some things to discuss with Kawai-san actually so take your time.” He watched as Shizuka nodded her head stiffly and unlocked the door. He looked around the place and frowned. He didn't live like this when he was in high school. There were no fancy curtains, no vases with flowers. The sofa wasn't looking like if it was just bought. No, back then the sofa could barely stand on its own. The curtains were plain pieces of cloth that had gotten so worn down that you swore it was chiffon when it really was cotton. Their apartment back then was just bare, only the necessities and even those looked like if they would crumble if a feather dropped on it.
 
“Ah Shizuka I see your back home already.” Kawai-san as Jounouchi referred to her, smile dropped when she saw Jounouchi standing next to Shizuka.
 
“Okaa-san, big brother came to pick me up from school today. Remember I'm spending the weekend at his place?” She looked back and forth between them and she knew that something was going to go down. “I'll go get my things.” She said as she hurried off to her room.
 
“Lovely house you've got here. It looks different from the last time I saw it.” Jounouchi stared at her in her eyes. He did not have that kind of fear of his mother like he did of his father. He respected his father. He could not respect her.
 
“I redecorated the place. It needed a little something to make it look lively and I couldn't have Shizuka's friends coming over to a messy house.” She explained as she straightened out a picture that hung on the wall.
 
“I see. So how is your job going? Did you take the day off?” he asked. He smirked when she spun around and looked at him with narrowed eyes.
 
“You know damn well that I am out of work at the moment!”
 
“Have you even started looking for other jobs as yet?” He wanted nothing more than to go and shake her roughly. Four years ago if his father got laid off, as soon as he got home he was looking through the papers for possible jobs. Not her. Four months at home and she still hadn't tried. He only grew angrier. She was simply worthless.
 
“None of those jobs pay enough money.” She said as she walked off to the kitchen. Shizuka chose the moment to appear from her room with her bags.
 
“I'm ready nii-sama!” She said brightly and her mother frowned. She never liked the fact that Shizuka called him nii-sama. She didn't understand why she would give him so much respect when it was she who took care of her. She treated him like some kind of lord when he did nothing for her.
 
“Shizuka, I hope you will not go over in that house and play the fool. Your grades have been dropping and I will not accept them again this term.”
 
“Hai okaa-san!” Shizuka said with her head down. Jounouchi growled.
 
“Shizu-chan you go down and wait for me in the car. I'll bring down your bags for you okay?” Jounouchi said as he looked over at Shizuka.
 
“Yes do go down and wait in the car for him Shizuka. Jounouchi-san will be right down.” Shizuka looked at Jounouchi worriedly and then she left. “What is it that you have come for now Jounouchi-san?”
 
“What have I come for now? You make it sound like I come here asking for things.” He chuckled darkly. “Trust me; you have nothing that I want Kawai-san.” He said bitterly. “But you do have something that belongs to me that I want back.” He stuck his hand out. “Where is it?”
 
“Where is what? I have no idea what you are talking about child.”
 
“Don't play dumb now, I want it back!” He said calmly. He didn't want to lose his cool but from the looks of things, it would soon be a shouting match. When she didn't move he snapped. “Where is the fucking credit card woman?” He advanced forward until he was a few inches from her. She looked frightened. “I said where is the bloody credit card? Are you deaf? Where is it?” He shouted. “Fine you don't want to give it to me; I'll find it by myself then.” He flung her arm off roughly. He looked around the room, spotting her handbag. He marched over to it and stared at it for a while. “Gucci? You bought a bloody Gucci handbag? You don't have any money to put in it but you have a Gucci handbag. You need help woman.” He dumped its contents on the ground. He didn't find the credit card.
 
He stormed into her bedroom and she followed after him. “You can't just walk through my house and ransack everything!” He didn't hear her. He was too busy looking through her room. He opened the closet and he felt his blood boil.
 
“Tou-san and I struggled for years. We never had enough food, we barely had any clothes and we both were working two jobs. The toilet used to leak, the radiator was broken and half the time the electricity was cut. We were so poor that we couldn't even buy rice at times. There were times when we'd get so sick from living in such poor conditions that we had to stay home. The school sent me to counselors because they thought I was suffering from an eating disorder.” He stared at the closet filled with designer handbags and shoes. But what really got him angry was the pure silk kimono that was hanging in the middle. “Here you are, out of a job but living the high life. You sit down on your ass and do nothing, yet you have a pure silk kimono that probably cost twenty thousand yen.” He chuckled sadly. “This is what you always wanted wasn't it? To live in a fancy house, wear fancy clothes and buy fancy things. Why don't you get over the fact that you're not daddy's little girl anymore! This is not like your childhood when you got everything you wanted!”
 
“It is because of you that I no longer can live that way. You ruined me!”
 
“Maybe you should have kept your legs closed then.” She moved to slap him but he caught her hand.
 
“You can't take the truth? For years you have blamed tou-san and I for everything like none of this was your fault! And now after what you've put me through, after you gave me nothing at all, you spend my hard earned money like it is your own? I'm sorry but you've gotten it far too easy. I want you to feel what I went through, what tou-san went through because of you. I know that I am an abomination but you know what they say right? The apples don't fall too far from the tree.” He released her wrist and moved forward and grabbed a red handbag and shoved it in her face.
 
“This is mine! All this is mine! My money bought you these things, things that you do not deserve. You told me that you would use that card for Shizuka yet she has no new clothes while you have everything.” He grabbed more handbags out of the closet and flung them about the room. He grabbed her shoes and clothes and flung them on the ground. “Nothing! You deserve nothing!” he shouted at the top of his lungs. He pulled the kimono out of the closet and was about to fling it to the ground when he realized something. “I want you to return this kimono and if you do not bring me my money by Sunday, I will call the police for you and let them lock you up because you have stolen from me, Shizuka and tou-san!” He walked off, stopping to pick up the credit card that was jutting out of one of the handbags. He picked it up and chuckled darkly. “Let me see how you will survive without this. Let me see you buy those Gucci bags now.” He looked at her broken expression and smiled evilly at her. He stormed out of the room and he picked up Shizuka's bags.
 
“What about Shizuka? She lives here with me! You'll let your sister suffer like this? You truly are a monster! Just like that man.”
 
“No you are the monster, not tou-san. Don't you worry about Shizuka; I will make sure that she does not suffer like you will be. And if you think that you will suck money out of her, I'll have you locked away.” He paused in the doorway. “All I wanted from you was your love, nothing else but you couldn't even give me that. Not even just a little bit. But I guess that I am not even worth your love, I am not worth anyone's love.” With that said he left, walking down slowly to his car. He did not look back.
 
“Are you alright nii-sama? I could hear you shouting from down here.” Shizuka asked worriedly as he got in the car. He turned to her with a smile.
 
“I'm still a little angry but I feel a whole lot better getting that off my chest.” He started the car and then sped off. “Shizuka, I want you to come live with me after you've graduated high school.”
 
“Nii-sama? I don't understand?” She looked at him confused.
 
“Well you don't have to live, live with me but I want you away from her. Move to the city and follow your dreams of becoming a photographer.”
 
“Yes that would be nice big brother. I want to make you and tou-san proud.” She looked at him and smiled. The smile turned to a frown. “I don't think I can ever forgive her for what she has done to you and to tou-san.”
 
“Now I don't want you hating her, she is your mother.” He said as he pushed down on the gas pedal some more. He was careful not to drive too fast when he was in a bad mood like this.
 
`Yes but she made you believe that you are not worth anyone's love. She made you think you are a monster. I can't forgive her for breaking you in half like that.' “I don't hate her, I can never hate her. I know you don't hate her either.”
 
“I don't think I can hate someone even if they have put me through hell. She is my mother and even though she doesn't acknowledge me as her child, I can't help but still love her.” `No matter how hard I try to, I just can't hate her.' He thought to himself. It was the same way he felt about Mai. Though she had further broken his heart, he still could not hate her. “She said something about your grades dropping? Is that true?”
 
“Well my grades did go down but only like two percent. I'm still at the top of the class in most my subjects.” She said cheerfully.
 
“Good. I guess she did that to embarrass you and to make it seem that I cannot take care of my beloved sister.” He smiled when she laughed. She always had a nice laugh.
 
“So what is this whole dinner about?”
 
“What are you talking about?” He asked confused.
 
“You're hopeless sometimes big brother. The dinner with tou-san?”
 
“Yes, yes. Well you'll just have to see for yourself. All I'll say is that I'm really happy for him.” He smiled when she pouted at him.
 
The rest of the ride was spent saying no over and over. Shizuka asked every possible question except the right one. She was still asking him questions as they stood in the elevator to his apartment.
 
“Did he get a promotion? Did he win the lottery?”
 
“Shizuka you only have three more hours to go until you find out. Please do try and keep calm.” The door opened and they stepped out, Jounouchi lugging Shizuka's bags which felt like a ton. He opened the door for her and watched as she ran inside and spun around with her arms out like a hippie. All she needed now was a funky head band, a tie-dyed dress with a peace sign on it and some pot. He chuckled as she ran about the place looking at everything excitedly.
 
“Nii-sama, I just love it here. I can stay here forever.” She said as she looked in the fridge. She closed the fridge and then ran off to the guest room. Jounouchi trailed after her smiling. He barely had time to put her bags down before he was glomped. “Thanks nii-sama.” She said as she continued to hug him tightly.
 
“No sweat Shizu-chan. Now I think you should unpack your things. Remember wear something nice tonight.” He said as he pulled away from the auburn haired girl. She nodded her head at him excitedly and he laughed. “Tou-san will be so happy to see you. His little girl all grown up.”
 
“I can't wait to see him too. It feels like ages since I last saw him.” She said as she went about unpacking her bags. Jounouchi didn't know why she packed so much stuff when she was only staying for three days. Girls.
 
He left her behind to go and lay down in his room. That little argument with his mother left him feeling tired. He spent so much energy just trying to stay calm but it didn't work. Then there was the whole, flinging her things about the room, thing. He sighed as he closed his eyes. He needed some rest.
 
“0*****0”
 
“What the fuck do you want?” Kaiba asked as he stared at the raven haired pretty boy standing in front of his desk
 
“Is that the way to treat your ex Kaiba-chan?” Koike asked as he moved forward, swinging his hips. “And I thought we were still friends.” He leaned down on Kaiba's desk and moved closer so that his face was a few scant inches from Kaiba's
 
“Shouldn't you be on a street corner selling your body?” Kaiba asked as he tried to return to his work. Koike simply closed his laptop shut with a click. He glared up at him.
 
“Now I just wanted to see how you were doing. You're so cold Kaiba-chan. A few weeks ago you were much sweeter to me.” He moved his face closer so that his lips were right above Kaiba's lips. “I know you still want me.” He brushed his lips against Kaiba's softly and then pulled away, smiling wickedly. “Why did you even break it off when you clearly want us to be together?”
 
Kaiba grabbed his collar roughly. “Listen here you slut. I told you to stay the hell away from me. Try anything like that again and I'll kill you.” He smiled sadistically as he saw Koike's face turn red from him squeezing his collar. “You're nothing to me and you never were. Why don't you go back to your idiotic family and act like the slut you are.” He released Koike's collar and shoved him away from his face.
 
“I can sue you Kaiba. You should watch it. It wouldn't do you well to mess with a Mitsubishi.” Koike said as he straightened out his collar. Chocolate eyes stared at Kaiba in anger.
 
“I'll simply crush you like the pathetic bug you are. Now if you would please leave, I have some important work to do.”
 
“I'll leave but this isn't over. You'll come crawling back to me. You seem to forget, no one wants to be with a bastard, but I'll give you another chance.” He blew a kiss at Kaiba who simply glared at him. He turned with a smile and made his way over to the door.
 
“Koike?” Kaiba called as the raven haired boy reached the doors.
 
“Yes Kaiba-chan?” He turned around with a pretty smile upon his pretty face.
 
“I always liked Honda's better.” He smiled on the inside when Koike scowled at him and turned in a huff, pushing the doors open and then slamming them shut. He sighed to himself as he leant into his leather chair. He didn't know why he had even gone out with the fool. He had rich boy slut written all over him. But that night they met, he had been… depressed if you could call it that. The stocks had been down because he had been outed by a tabloid magazine. They had somehow gotten photos of a time he had fooled around with a business partner's son. The stocks had never been so low. He had felt so weak. He went to a local gay bar called `The Other Side' and attempted to drown his sorrows in some alcohol and besides, he didn't have to hide his real sexuality anymore. Everyone all over the world knew that he was gay. It seemed that no one recognized him without his trade mark trench coat and all black attire. He had found the club surprisingly…nice. Everyone was just dancing and having a good time. Free to truly enjoy themselves without being persecuted. He remembered the moment when Koike had approached him. He remembered it well.
 
FLASHBACK
 
“I've certainly never seen you here before.” A sultry voice said from beside him. Kaiba merely looked at him from the corner of his eyes. “The silent type I see. I like that in a man.” He had been sitting at a table, drinking some Johnny Walker black, just taking in everything around him. No one had approached him all night in fear they would be murdered for even stepping near to him. This individual however seemed not to be intimidated easily. The person moved his body closer to his, an attempt to get his attention. A hand found his thigh and he squelched the feeling of wanting to fling the hand off. He had never experienced anything like this before.
 
“Now why don't you tell me your name stranger? I'd just love to get to know you better.” The sultry voice said into his ear. He turned his head and was surprised to see chocolate orbs staring back at him. For a moment he thought that maybe it was Jounouchi but he knew the mutt's voice pretty well and Jounouchi's eyes were almost amber in color. It was not blond hair framing that pretty face, it was raven hair. This person looked like some strange mixture of Jounouchi, Otogi and Ryou. He had Ryou's eyes, Otogi's hair and Jounouchi's pretty face. “Though you don't have to tell me anything Seto Kaiba.” Kaiba's eyes widened slightly and then went back to normal. He smiled.
 
“Very observant I see.” He said as he leaned closer to this strange man's face. He didn't know what it was, but he felt like he was being sucked in by this person. “And what should I call you?” He asked uncertainly. His voice however betrayed his real emotions. It was his usual calm deep voice.
 
The stranger leaned in some more and whispered in his ear huskily. “You can call me Koike.” Soft lips brushed against his ear making him shiver. What was it about this Koike that was driving him wild? Half of the blame was on the alcohol, the other half? He hadn't gotten some in two years. He could feel the blood rushing to his groin in response to Koike's actions. He pushed him back gently, wanting to regain some control over his body. “What's the matter Kaiba-chan?”
 
Kaiba simply stared at his lips. Lips so tempting, he wanted to taste those lips. He just wanted to know what it was like just to act on impulse. He had never done it before. He was a genius after all and geniuses always think about things before they make any action. He leaned in close, bringing his slightly trembling hand to Koike's chin, rubbing his thumb against the smooth skin. How old was Koike anyway? He looked young, like seventeen or eighteen. What the hell did he care anyway? This was just going to be a little fling, a one night stand maybe. He didn't care if some tabloid found out about this too, things couldn't get any worse. He leaned in some more and brushed his lips against Koike's fuller ones. He was right; he did taste good, faintly of strawberries and some kind of alcohol. Then the strangest thing happened. An image of Jounouchi flashed across his mind. He looked…sad like if someone had broken his heart. Amber orbs wide in disbelief. His eyebrows were wrinkled together, the way they look when you're about to cry. He pulled away from Koike's mouth, instead kissing the skin of his neck. It didn't help any. The image was still there only this time, tears were leaking from eyes that were now almost chocolate in color. He noticed something in his hands, a book, but he could not see the cover. He looked on bewildered as Jounouchi spun around on his heel, hand covering his mouth in an attempt to stifle a sob. He walked quickly through dark doors, his golden hair bouncing as he walked away. Why was Jounouchi crying, what had him so heart broken?
 
“Mmm…Kaiba-chan, why don't we take this someplace else?” Koike said bringing Kaiba back to reality. He stared at Koike blankly and then nodded his head. He stood up, pulling Koike with him too. The boy immediately attached himself to his side. His mind was screaming at him not to do it. He could have an STD, he could be part of a plan to kill him, or he could be someone trying to blackmail him into giving him money. But he ignored what his mind was telling him. He wanted this, his body wanted it. He had ignored his body's needs for long enough. He wrapped an arm around a slender waist and then led the young man out of the club and into his awaiting limo.
 
END FLASHBACK
 
Kaiba should have listened to his brilliant mind that hadn't failed him before. Koike might have been a good lay, but that was all he was. No sort of substance at all. Though he referred to Jounouchi as being a dumb mutt, the blond was far from stupid. Kaiba found him quite intriguing. Everything he did intrigued him back in High School. Jounouchi was just interesting. Koike was a whole other story. He was so…boring, so predictable. You could never predict what Jounouchi Katsuya was going to do next. He remembered being extremely shocked when Mokuba had told him that Jounouchi was becoming a writer. He had been even more shocked when Jounouchi's book was the number one best selling book of the year. He could not deny that he wanted to read it so badly and Mokuba, who was equally hard to impress, spoke for the past year and half about Jounouchi's book and its magnificence.
 
He looked up at the door when it opened. He expected to see Koike standing there grinning like a ninny but instead he saw an angry and beet red Mokuba.
 
“What was that…that slut doing here?” Mokuba asked loudly. To say he disliked Koike was an understatement. He loathed him with every fiber of his body. Kaiba never really understood why Mokuba hated Koike like that. He was the only person he saw ever get under his little brother's skin, the only person Mokuba ever called bad things.
 
“I don't know. Stupid slut can't seem to understand that I want nothing to do with him.” Kaiba said calmly as he looked Mokuba over. “I wonder if Professor Hawkins knows you're going at it with his grand daughter.” He grinned when Mokuba turned crimson.
 
“We were only kissing, nothing else.” Mokuba said as he sat down on a chair. His jacket was undone showing off the black sleeveless tee-shirt he was sporting under his uniform. His hair looked like if he had been walking through a tornado, wild. “She's leaving to go back to America next week.” He said as he looked down at his feet forlornly. He looked up at Kaiba with sad eyes. “I think that we would likely call it quits.”
 
Kaiba didn't really know what to do. He never had to comfort Mokuba after a breakup before. His brother was usually very happy after a breakup because most of the girls just used him for his money. Rebecca was different. She had stuck by him for two years. Though she was bratty, she was darn brilliant. Kaiba had actually kind of liked her, kind of. He of course thought that there was no one worthy enough for his brother, but she had come pretty close.
 
“I…know this is bad of me, but I don't want a long distance relationship with her either. I feel like a monster for thinking that way.” He confessed as he stared at a point right above his brother's head. He never really could look at Kaiba in the eye when he was sad. He would always feel so weak when he did.
 
“You're not a monster Mokuba. You can't help the way your heart feels.” He rubbed the edge of his nose nervously. He was never going to be comfortable with matters of love. Yugi would have been perfect for this. Always preaching about the heart of the cards, he would have been perfect for this little talk. “Do you love her Mokuba?”
 
Mokuba turned away. “I really thought I did…b-but I think that I just really like her, not love. I think she feels the same way as well.” He looked up at the ceiling and sighed. “I still don't regret these past two years though. I had so much fun with her.”
 
“Yeah lots of fun with her. Things that I wish you wouldn't be doing.” Kaiba said as he got up from his chair. He walked over to Mokuba and placed a hand on his shoulder. “Don't worry; there is someone else out there for you. I'm sure you will find that someone soon.” He ruffled Mokuba's hair affectionately and smiled when his brother scowled at him. The scowl suddenly turned into a smile.
 
“I heard from someone that Jounouchi's book is coming out in two weeks. Don't you think we should go to the signing?” Mokuba asked as he looked up at his brother.
 
“Why would I want to go to the mutt's book signing?” He wondered where Mokuba got all this information on Jounouchi from.
 
“Well so you can ogle him of course. I'm really surprised that he never realized that you liked him. You were always staring at him.” He smirked up at Kaiba, who was scowling down at him.
 
“I don't like the mutt Mokuba. I don't know why you think I do.”
 
“I know you do because I've caught you staring at his picture in his book all the time.” He smiled triumphantly when Kaiba's cheeks tinged a light pink, almost invisible to the untrained eye.
 
`It's not my fault they put that wonderful picture in his book' Kaiba thought to himself as he thought about the picture. He had never seen Jounouchi's eyes look so pretty in his entire life. They had been sparkling brightly like a star. Then there was that tiny smile he had on his face and his hand propped up his chin. He looked absolutely breathtaking. He really didn't know why they had put a picture in the back of the book but he was ever grateful.
 
“You have Shizuka to thank for that great picture.” Mokuba smiled as he got up and walked over to the window. “She was the one who took that picture. I hear she's quite the photographer.”
 
`His sister took that picture? I guess being artistic runs in the family.' He walked over to the window and stood beside Mokuba.
 
“I mean it made me think about wanting to kiss Jounouchi and I'm straight!” Mokuba giggled at his brother's weird expression. “If ever I had to go gay, I would definitely try and seduce Jounouchi. I can see why you like him so much.” He knew he was making Kaiba uncomfortable and he was enjoying it. “Don't worry big brother, I'll stay straight unless all the women in the world run out.”
 
Kaiba only shook his head.
 
“0*****0”
 
“Shizuka why didn't you wake me up?” Jounouchi said as he turned a corner rather quickly. Shizuka gulped and held onto her seat belt. They were half hour late to dinner at their father's.
 
“I'm sorry nii-sama but you looked tired and I forgot what time you said we were going over.”
 
“It's alright but tou-san would be upset. This dinner is very important to him.” He honked his car horn rather loudly at someone who was taking their time to drive off from the now green light. He sped off when they finally drove off. He was overtaking cars like crazy. Suddenly a bike drove out in front of him and he pressed down hard on his brakes. “What the hell is…” His eyed widened when he took a good look at the bike. That was Mai's bike.
 
“Nii-sama? What's wrong?” Shizuka asked as she looked at her brother. She was jerked backwards as Jounouchi stepped on the gas. `What's wrong with him? He's driving like he's seen a ghost.'
 
`I've got to get away before anyone sees me.' He thought to himself as he overtook another car. He looked in the rearview mirror and saw that the bike was following him. `Shit! I can't let her see me!' He sped up some more, totally forgetting his sister was in the car.
 
“Nii-sama, stop driving so fast! You'll get us killed.” She exclaimed as she held onto her seat. At this rate Jounouchi was going to get a ticket.
 
Jounouchi barely heard his sister's warning. He was trying to get away as fast as he could. He met up some traffic and he sighed in disappointment. She was going to see him. He heard the bike pull up beside pull up Shizuka's window and he cringed. He looked about desperately for an opening but none came. `Come on lights, turn to green now!' He nearly jumped out of his skin when he heard someone tap on the window on Shizuka's side. “Don't roll down that glass, it could be someone who's trying to rob us.” He said as he looked at Shizuka with wide eyes. She looked at him confusedly but turned to look at the person on the bike anyway. She broke out into a smile.
 
“Look its Mai!” She said brightly. She rolled down the window and Jounouchi sighed in defeat. He continued to look at the road in hopes that Mai maybe had not noticed him. “Hi Mai!”
 
“Shizuka is that you?” Mai asked as she looked down at Shizuka with a smile. She had followed the car because she was sure it belonged to Jounouchi. She remembered seeing it the other day when she was out with Varon. “I'm so happy to see you. It's been far too long!” She tried to look across at the driver of the car but Shizuka blocked her view.
 
“How have you been? I haven't seen you in ages!” Shizuka said happily. She totally forgot about her beloved brother sitting across from her.
 
“I'm great! So what are you doing across on this side of Tokyo?”
 
“Well I'm going to visit tou-san with nii-sa…” She was cut off as Jounouchi swerved into the next lane as the car there had just driven off. “Why did you do that? I was talking to Mai!” Jounouchi did not answer her.
 
Mai drove on her bike, violet eyes looking sad. “You still hate me after all this time Jounouchi?” she asked as she continued to drive, the wind blowing about the blonde hair that was sticking out from underneath her helmet.
 
“0*****0”
 
“Katsuya I'm so glad that you could make it. I was worried that you would be stuck in traffic.” Seiji said as he ushered them inside. He immediately pulled Shizuka into a hug. “I missed you so much! Look at my little girl all grown up and looking as beautiful as ever.”
 
“I missed you too tou-san!” Her hazel eyes focused on a brunette woman with green eyes standing off to the side. She watched as Jounouchi walked over and placed a kiss on her cheek.
 
“Ah Midori-san, looking stunning as usual!” Jounouchi said as he smiled at the woman who finally made his father so happy.
 
“Oh stop trying to make me blush Jounouchi!” She said as she swatted him playfully on the arm.
 
“You're making me think about dating women again Midori-san. I'll just have to steal you away from tou-san!” He teased her playfully.
 
“Now now, none of that talk!” Seiji said with a smile. He looked down at Shizuka who was looking at Midori strangely. “Shizuka you remember Midori right?”
 
She looked at her father puzzled for a moment and then she broke out into a grin. “Ah yes! Midori-san, it's so nice to see you again!” She said as she walked over to Midori. She bowed politely and Midori did the same.
 
“Now let's go eat something! I'm starving!” Seiji and Jounouchi said at the same time. Shizuka and Midori laughed.
 
They sat about the table quietly as Midori spooned out their food for them. “Midori went through all the trouble of cooking tonight. She said she wanted you to be alive by the end of dinner.” Seiji said as he looked at Midori happily. She smiled back at him.
 
“Tou-san you're cooking isn't that bad is it?” Shizuka asked as she looked at her father. She couldn't remember her father's cooking at all. She had been so young back then.
 
“My cooking is superb! Just ask Katsuya.”
 
“It's horrible! I don't know where I got my cooking skills from.” Jounouchi said as he grinned wickedly at his father.
 
“Don't listen to a thing he says Shizuka. I'm a great cook!” He tried to steal a piece of beef but Midori promptly hit his hand with some chopsticks. “What was that for?” He asked childishly.
 
“No stealing!” Midori said sternly. Jounouchi laughed at their display. They were acting like teenagers. Shizuka stayed quiet. Realization finally came to her.
 
“You two are getting married aren't you?” She asked with a tinge of bitterness in her voice. Everyone stopped and stared at her. Her father looked at her worriedly.
 
“Yes, I love Midori. She makes me so happy and…”
 
“And I love your father. I want to spend the rest of my life with him.”
 
She couldn't believe it. After so many years of having no father and now when she finally got him back, he was going to marry someone. Her shoulders slumped as she looked down at her bowl of rice. She jumped when a hand rested on her shoulder. She looked up at her father, who was looking at her pleadingly.
 
“Please Shizuka; it would not be the same if I do not have your blessing.”
 
How could she bless their marriage? She had always hoped that maybe her parents could sort things out and then they would be happy again. If she agreed then she was giving up on that dream. “I…cant' believe…”
 
“How dare you? How dare you stop father from being happy?” Jounouchi said angrily. He knew that she still hung onto the dream of their parents reuniting again. But that was impossible. His parents were like water and oil, they could never mix. The oil would always float atop the water, thus stopping them from merging.
 
“Katsuya stop being so harsh on your sister!” Seiji admonished.
 
“No, no I can't.” He looked away angrily. You could say it was the first time he was ever really angry at his sister. “She's being selfish! I lived with you all those years. You sacrificed so much for me and I know you were never truly happy. This is the only way for you to be happy and I won't allow anyone to stop you from gaining the happiness you so rightfully deserve.”
 
“Katsuya please!” His father begged
 
“No! I won't! That woman destroyed you! And she wants you to be with her again! I won't allow that! I will not! You deserve to be happy.” He took a deep breath.
 
Shizuka stared at her brother with wide eyes. It was true what he said. Their father suffered because of their mother and here she was, wanting them to be together. She truly was acting selfish, just because she wanted that dream to come true. “I'm sorry, I'm so sorry!” She said as tears trailed down her face.
 
“You have nothing to be sorry for Shizuka, its Katsuya who has to apologize.” Seiji turned angry chocolate orbs towards Jounouchi. “Apologize to her Katsuya.”
 
“No I'm the one who should be apologizing. He's right to be angry with me. I am acting selfish. Please forgive my foolishness.” She looked at her father and then smiled. “I want you to be happy tou-san and if marrying Midori-san is going to do that then I give you my blessing.”
 
“Shizuka do you…” Seiji trailed off, eyes shaking. He smiled when she nodded her head at him, smiling brightly though tears were cascading down her cheeks. He got up from his seat and embraced her awkwardly. “I promise that you will always be my favorite girl in the world Shizuka.”
 
She leaned into his embrace and cried. She was happy for him but sad at the same time. She pulled away and smiled at him as he brushed her tears away. He had always been a loving father but her mother had always hidden her from him after the divorce. She tried to make him out as a monster but she would always know better. Jounouchi was proof that her father was not a monster. If he had been then her beloved brother would have been even more broken than he was now.
 
“Let's have dinner now.” Midori said as he she continued to look at them. They nodded their heads at her and she smiled. Jounouchi was still quiet.
 
Two hours passed by. Dinner was finished and the wedding was spoken about. Everyone could not hide their excitement, even Jounouchi who was still sore from seeing Mai again. They talked and chatted for an hour straight, so caught up in wedding plans. The more they spoke about it, the more Shizuka grew accustomed to the idea. In the end she had been truly happy for her father. She couldn't help it. His eyes were alight with happiness and joy. She had never seen them that way before and she didn't want to ever not see them that way again. They were perfect that way.
 
“Nii-sama?” she asked as she approached her brother who was looking out at the night sky on the balcony. He turned around and offered her a small smile.
 
“I'm sorry for yelling at you Shizuka. I got carried away I guess.” He looked down at his feet, not being able to look at his sister in the eye.
 
“It's alright. I needed that. I was acting selfish. I guess okaa-san's rubbing off on me ne?” She smiled when he looked up at her and chuckled. She always found a way to make him smile again. She walked over to him and then hugged him. He ruffled her hair affectionately and she smiled. “I'm sorry about earlier with Mai too. I forgot that you were uncomfortable around her.”
 
“It's alright. You know I can never stay angry at you.” He pinched her cheek and she giggled.
 
“Nii-sama, I want to see you happy. I mean truly happy.” She said as she looked up at him with hazel eyes. “Smiling the way you used to when we were little and we went to the beach together.”
 
“But I am happy now Shizuka.” He looked down at her with a smile. “If the ones I love are happy then I'm happy too.”
 
`But you do not love yourself so you can never be happy.' She thought as she hugged him tightly. “Let's go home nii-sama.”
 
“Yes let's go home.” He said as he pulled away from her. He draped his arms around her shoulder as they walked back inside.
 
I'll do anything to see you truly smile again.
 
TO BE CONTINUED…
 
A/N: Ah yes another chapter done. I would say its very angsty. Ah yes but I hope you all liked it. Sorry to end the chapter in such a bad place. I was supposed to write out the reunion party in this chapter but I think if I dedicated a whole chapter to it, it would be so much better. I tried to keep everyone in character. I hope I did. But they barely show Shizuka in the anime so it was hard trying to portray her. She really is too sweet! It's kind of annoying to have someone that sweet. That's the problem I have with the female characters of Yu-gi-oh. They are all annoying, well except for Isis. That's probably because she and I share a birthday and she isn't as weak as the other female characters. But if they aren't too sweet, their constantly preaching friendship or just annoying the hell out of me. I won't even get started with Mai. She makes my blood boil (growling and tearing up random pieces of paper)
 
Oh and thanks for telling me about Jounouchi's father. I feel like a total ass for saying it was a rumor. That part where ya'll said that Yugi-tachi went to Jounouchi's house to check up on him and his father threw a beer bottle at them, I wished it had hit Anzu right in the head. Sorry bout that but I'm not an Anzu fan either. It's not because I'm a yaoi-fangirl, so I automatically hate the female characters. She's just plain annoying. (Random voice: enough rambling about the female characters already. No one gives a shit!) But their so weak it's disgusting! I like to see strong female characters, like in Rurouni Kenshin. Almost all the females could hold their own in some way or the other. Just look at Anzu, all she does is cheer, cheer,cheer and talk about friendship(someone gag her with a spoon already!). Usually if the female characters are strong enough, I will not gravitate towards yaoi stories because I think them good enough for the male characters. That is how I got into yaoi in the first place. I never liked the female characters in Gundam Wing or Yu-gi-oh so I looked towards the yaoi pairings. I've never read a yaoi story for Rurouni Kenshin because I like the female characters that the various men are paired with in the manga/anime.
 
Last time I promised not to write out such long author's notes but you all read it and no one complained so I'm pretty happy. In my other stories, no one ever seemed to read my author's notes. But please review and tell me what you think. Be nice about it if you have any problems with the story. Personally I thought it was a little dialogue heavy. Oh and I may not update in a while because I'll be updating my other neglected stories.
 
REVIEW THANKS
 
LilyBob, YaoiYaoiYeah, BarbedWire23, Yukiko-Angel, Aoifurin, Markyc58, Sugarholic, Kaze Neko Youkai, Kit Kat, Jasmemini, Shadowy Fluffball, Iceditto, Saphira's Ember, Bookwormloverjen, SnakeMistress, AOTS, KitsuneChan8888888, Kitty, Anaraz, FlamesSwordsman.
 
To anyone I forgot, I thank you too. You people are so nice and sweet and… I love you!!