Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Truthfully, in My Soul ❯ Dreaming of a Wedding ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 4:Dreaming of a Wedding
 
Disclaimer: All Yu-Gi-Oh! characters belong to Kazuki Takahashi. Neferue is my character.
 
Atemu just quietly led the princess to her new bedroom. It was outlined in beautiful red and gold embroidered silk. Lovely paintings decorated the wall. There was some nicely designed furniture in the room as well, imported from faraway kingdoms. As for her bed, it was huge, covered by white linen hanging overhead to serve as a canopy. It was most certainly a room fit for a queen.
 
“I, uh, I hope you like your new room,” Atemu said.
 
Neferue just gazed around, marveling at the way the room was designed. “This,” she began to ask, “is all mine?”
 
“Um, yes,” Atemu said, not knowing what else to say.
 
Neferue just looked at Atemu “I suppose I'll see you later for dinner,” she then whispered, and walked out the door, supposedly to the garden.
 
Atemu walked back to the throne room, where a bunch of nobles and upper class people (those closely associated with the pharaoh) were waiting for him. As soon as he entered, they surrounded him, harping on about his fiancée:
 
“Isn't she beautiful, my pharaoh?”
“She is most certainly fit for a queen.”
“My pharaoh, I'm sure she will make a lovely wife.”
 
Atemu, however, didn't want to hear more of it. Looking at her seemed to be unfulfilling, and there was an unusual emptiness to her.
 
And right now, he just wanted to go to bed and rest.
~~~~~~~~
 
Atemu was on his lounge chair, taking a small nap. He was dreaming about his wedding day.
(BEGINNING OF DREAM)
It was a sunny spring day. All the flowers were in bloom everywhere. Both he and Neferue were standing in front of a ceremonial altar. Mahado, being one of the most trusted High Priests of the royal court, was the one presiding over the ceremony. Everything seemed to go normally, just as anything would do in a traditional Egyptian wedding.
 
Atemu had on some of his best royal clothing, and he wore a nemes (traditional head cloth worn by royalty) to keep down his otherwise fluffy head of hair. Neferue wore a beautiful white dress that reached down to her ankles, and she adorned herself with some of the finest jewelry available. On top of her head was a sheer white veil outlined in the freshest water lilies just recently picked from the water's edge. The veil normally covered her face, as it has been traditionally done in the past; the veil was not to be flipped over until the marriage ceremony had finished taking place.
 
Then came the time to flip the veil over her head. The second that Atemu turned the veil over, something changed. It wasn't Neferue who was underneath the veil…it was Mana!
 
“Ma-Mana!” Atemu said in shock. “Wha-What's going on?”
 
Mana just smiled back at the pharaoh. “Aren't you happy to see me?” she asked.
 
Atemu was still dumbfounded by what had occurred. “I…I thought I was marrying Princess Neferue,” he remarked.
 
“Wouldn't you be more happier with me?” she asked in her usual upbeat attitude.
 
Atemu didn't know what to say. He then turned out to the crowd. The people didn't seem to realize what just happened; it was as if they did not notice. Then, something unusual caught Atemu's eye. The was a man in the back dressed in royal clothing, with a nemes on top of his head. Atemu strained to see who it was…To his surprise, it was his father!
 
Atemu tried to see hid father's face. It looked unusually stoic, almost emotionless. Atemu wondered if this hard look on his father's face meant disappointment or something else. He wanted to up to his father and talk to him.
 
Then the world around Atemu began to shatter like a mirror. He found himself standing in a space of loneliness and emptiness, while the pieces of his life floated around him freely.
(END OF DREAM)
 
Atemu woke up with a start. That was a very unusual dream, he thought. He shook his head, as if trying to get the dream out of his thoughts and mind.
 
That's all. It was just a dream, Atemu kept repeating to himself over and over again. He tried to reestablish the fact that he had to marry Princess Neferue because it was his father's wish for him to do so. But, the dream still lingered in his mind, and he was unable to shake the dream off. Why is this happening to me? Atemu thought. What does my dream mean?