Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Truthfully, in My Soul ❯ The Truth of a Dream Now Revealed ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 6: The Truth of a Dream Now Revealed
 
Disclaimer: All Yu-Gi-Oh! characters belong to Kazuki Takahashi. Neferue is my character. I do not own the Egyptian goddess Ma'at. I do not own the idea of “Prt en Hmw”; it is an actual item of Egyptian history which I have adopted for this story.
 
As suggested by Isis, the pharaoh told of his dream. However, he failed to mention about Mana, who he described only as a girl he once knew well.
 
“My pharaoh, your dream disturbs me,” Isis told Atemu. “Your dream means that you desire to be with another girl, perhaps one that your father my not approve of.”
 
“I fear that it is not just my father who will not approve of it. It is that of the people as well,” Atemu began. “You know very well that someone of my status is to not be seen with those supposedly deemed lower than myself.”
 
An unusual silence ensued. Then Atemu just hastily bid Isis a parting message and left in the direction of the garden.
 
It was still nighttime, and Atemu began to wander around, as if to search for an answer, even though the answer was really to be found within himself. He took out the feather that he found. He then began to recall of the tales found in “Prt en Hmw” (“Coming Forth by Day” in Egyptian) a scroll depicting the journey of the soul when the body had deceased; one of the tales described in this scroll mentioned of a feather belonging to Ma'at. Perhaps the feather in his hand also belonged to the fabled goddess?
 
Suddenly, the feather flew out of his hand. It landed a few feet away from Atemu. For some reason, he felt compelled to go and pick it up, so, he walked over to the feather. It seemed the breeze picked up again, because the feather flew off again. A short cat and mouse chase ensued between the pharaoh and the feather. Oh, this is just ridiculous, Atemu thought. I'm chasing a feather and I don't know why.
 
Finally, by the wading pool, Atemu managed to grab the feather. A figure, enshrouded in the shadows, was present there, and the figure caught his eye.
 
Atemu strained to see who it was that stood by the wading pool. To his greatest surprise, it was Mana!
 
Mana noticed the pharaoh as well. “Oh, ouji-sama,” she remarked. “It's you.”
 
“Um, hello Mana,” Atemu replied back. A short paused ensued, giving him enough time to collect his thoughts. “Mana, what are you doing here?” he asked.
 
“Oh, I was just looking at the stars,” she replied.
 
“Again?” Atemu asked.
“Yes,” Mana answered. “Remember, we used to look at the stars together when we were little.” Then a somewhat sad, wan face descended upon the little magician girl. “It's a shame we can't do that more often. You're much too busy being a pharaoh to simply have a good time with friends.”
 
Atemu felt uncomfortable by Mana's statement. He also felt uncomfortable in Mana's presence. Here, in front of him was the girl from his dream, the dream that now haunted and resonated in his mind.
 
Mana looked at Atemu. Something is bothering him, she thought. It's as if he almost doesn't want to see me here. She decided to ask what was wrong. “Ouji-sama?” she began to say. “Why do you look as if you do not wish me here?”
 
Atemu then looked at the sky, then at her. “If you promise not to tell another soul, I shall tell you what's bothering me,” he answered. And he then proceeded to tell her the dream, this time, mentioning the fact of her presence in it.
 
As Atemu spoke, Mana became worried, almost distraught. Each word, each sentence, each fact seemed to imply feeling towards her. Suddenly, she couldn't take it anymore and wanted him to stop. She almost wished that she were deaf.
 
“Ouji-sama,” she interrupted, “I don't want to hear anymore.” She ran off to her dormitory.
 
As she ran, thoughts began to swim in her head. No, it's not right for him to say something like that; he's the pharaoh and he's supposed to be with the princess. But, it's not fair if he doesn't love Neferue. Why can't he be with who he wants? No! The laws say that he's not supposed to be with those lower than himself. Oh, by Ra, what am I supposed to do?!
~~~~~~~~
Unbeknownst to Atemu and Mana, another person was watching this sight take place as well. It was Neferue, who was now seething with anger.