Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Kesu ❯ Chapter Five ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Kesu

A Yu Yu Hakusho/Eraser crossover

By Rose Thorne

Disclaimer: I mean no infringements on any copyrights that anyone owns on any of these characters. Please do not take this as such. The movie Eraser belongs to Warner Brothers, Arnold Kopelson, Charles Russell, and whoever else worked so diligently on this masterpiece. Yu Yu Hakusho belongs to Yoshihiro Tomogashi, Studio Perriot, and whoever else helped in the production of the manga Yu Yu Hakusho, and the television series and movies that were based on the manga. I'm not getting any money by writing this, so please don't sue me. I am merely writing this to entertain the fans of Eraser and Yu Yu Hakusho.

Authors note: If anyone has any questions/comments about this story, please e-mail me at: Rose_Thorne@yyhmail.com

"You'll be in my heart
No matter what they say
You'll be here in my heart
Always"
-You'll Be In My Heart, Phil Collins

Chapter 5

Kurama

Lee and John take my family and me to America, where we are put under the Witness Protection Program. We are each given a choice of an assumed name, which we will have to remember to call each other in public. I, naturally, choose to be called Kurama. Shuuichi decides that he wants his name to be Seiji, the name of his favorite TV character from Yoiroden Samurai Troopers. Okaasan chooses the name Lee, after the woman who rescued us, and my father chooses the name Shin.

Seiji is enrolled in a private school for boys. Lee and Shin both get jobs. I am not allowed to do either. In fact, for the first week and a half that I am in America, the FBI will not let me do anything alone! The only thing I'm allowed to do on my own is go to the bathroom and bathe, and they're even reluctant to allow that! Finally, I convince them to let me go to the gym on my own to work out.

Of course, I don't really go to the gym, but they think that I am there. I even bring along a duffle bag to further the pretense. But I never had any intention to going to the gym. Instead, I find the nearest gate to the Makai. I know Hiei is there looking for me. Unless he's already looked. I really hope that is not the case. I am afraid of what he might do if he thinks that I am really dead for good...

The duffle bag is empty, but it is large enough to fit Hiei inside. I will smuggle him to my temporary home in America.

The gate takes me to Koorime territory and I change to my youko form. I sense Hiei's youki nearby. My heart sinks. What is my fire demon doing in Koorime territory? I go cold with fear and horror as I realize that he probably thinks that I am dead...He's come here to die...

I run toward him as fast as I can, pushing myself to my limits. I have to get there fast! Before my fire demon does something rash. When I get there, I see him throw away his sword in the face of an enemy, something he has never done before. The Koorime he is facing off with looks confused for a moment, then swings her weapon at him. I run toward them, knowing in my heart that I will not get there in time. My fire demon is going to die! And I'll never get to be with him!

But the blade does not cut him. Instead, he crumples to the ground as she hits him with the flat of her sword. I am close enough to hear her words. She laughs and says mockingly, "Fool!! I'll get promoted for capturing the Forbidden Child! We'd much rather torture you to death."

Then I hear his words, and I go cold. They sound depressed and defeated. "I don't care." He then goes limp, sprawling in the snow like a broken doll.

The Koorime bitch heads toward my fire demon, cackling. "You will when we get done with you!"

That's when I ambush her with my demon-eating plants. "You'll never get promoted," I say coldly, "because they'll never know that you had him." She doesn't even have time to scream before she is violently ripped apart by my plants.

I cradle the unconscious body of my lover. He looks horrible. His eyes are sunken, with dark circles around them from lack of sleep. He is thin, and I can feel his ribs, even under his cloak. It looks like he hasn't eaten since my `death'. Oh, Hiei...I'm so sorry.

I put him in the duffle bag, leaving it open a bit so he can breath. Then I go back to the Ningenkai. The entire trip takes only two hours. I hurry back to my temporary home and go straight to my room, carrying the duffle bag carefully. No one is home. I set the bag on the bed, then go to the kitchen to get some food and water. Then I go back upstairs to my room, and turn on some music, so my parents will know I am home, and think I am busy when they get home from work. I lock the door behind me.

I gently remove Hiei from the bag and wrap him in a blanket, sitting on the bed and holding him close. I hope he wakes up soon.

I run my fingers through his hair and rock him back and forth. "Hiei...please wake up..." I say over and over. I kiss him gently, nuzzling him lovingly. It takes a while but he finally stirs. "Hiei..." I say softly. "Wake up."

He opens his eyes and stares at me uncomprehendingly for a few moments with blank eyes. Then he pulls me close, clutching me tightly. He shakes violently. "Kurama...I thought..."

"Hiei...I'm so sorry..." I whisper. I start as I hear a clinking noise and look down. Black tear gems fall to the floor. Hiei is crying. I have never seen him cry before. I hug him close. "Hiei, don't..." But I am crying myself. I didn't know that this would affect him this deeply, and I feel guilty, so guilty for doing this to him.

After a few minutes his shaking subsides, but I continue to hold him. "Where are we?" he asks softly.

"Let me explain." He probably thinks we're dead, I realize. "We're not dead." He looks surprised. Then I tell him the whole story, from the beginning, pouring my heart out to him.

"But...I saw your body. I saw them take it from the house!" he says softly, shuddering.

I gasp. I had thought he was with Mukuro. She must have let him go early. I feel awful. He must have tried to save me. I hug him tightly, never wanting to let go. "I came as soon as I could. I'm so sorry you had to go through that." He nods, then starts coughing weakly. I hold him gently. "You haven't taken care of yourself!" I chide him teasingly.

He flinches. "They...they think I'm dead." I kiss him gently, quieting him.

Then I give him the food that I brought up to my room. "Eat." He doesn't need to be told twice. He eats all of it, then relaxes against me. "Sleep," I order, tucking him into my bed.

Someone knocks on my door. "Shu-er...Kurama? Are you okay?" It is my mother.

I turn off the music. "Hai, Okaasan. I ate already, and I'm going to go to bed early tonight," I reply. "Goodnight."

"Konbanwa," she answers, and I hear her move down the hall.

Hiei looks up at me. "Kurama..?"

I smile. He's probably wondering why my okaasan used my youko name. "We had to change our names. I picked Kurama."

The fire demon snorts. "Not much of a change."

My grin grows larger. "I kinda like it. Now I can use my true name around my family."

The little youkai rolls his eyes and turns over. "Hn. Stupid fox."

I smirk at his back and crawl in next to him, curling around him and kissing him. He is already asleep. I sigh. Perhaps now he'll heal...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am so horrible to everybody in this fic!! I feel bad now...