.hack//SIGN Fan Fiction ❯ En Nou Kaimu ❯ Justice ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
"I have great doubts, Lady Subaru," said the Crimson Knight at her side, "in the intensity of our discipline." Subaru closed her eyes and lowered her head.

"This is a game," she replied. "Nothing more. There are no obvious flaws in the system of justice in The World." The knight took a glance at a male player, flashing impolite gestures at their gondola as it passed.

"Of course," the knight sighed. "I'm sorry I doubted your leadership." Subaru turned to face him.

"Do not be sorry," she said. "I do not stand here to take away your right to be opinionated. Certainly you have different views of the matter in your position." He nodded, his silver helmet catching the sun.

The gondola reached the dock and Subaru stepped off of the boat. Her two escorts led her into the street, and many players cleared a path. They all feared the system of justice. It was simply the ways of humans. And some wished for nothing more than to defy it.

Another male player and the one who had been making gestures before rushed by and knocked into her, then ran off laughing at their worthless accomplishment. One of the knights chased them a ways down the street, brandishing his broadsword threateningly.

"What I don't understand," said the knight, after scowling at the two delinquents. "Is why they do it."


-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --


"Is anyone out there?" cried Mimiru. She had realized she'd bitten off more than she could chew when her health became dangerously low. Unfortunately, there was no one around to make up for her mistake. "Please, someone help me! I'm out of potions and I'm gonna die out here!"

No answer. What good was it to wander around until she died? Mimiru decided to give up right then and there, and collapsed where she stood. Dust swirled about and the sun was high.

"Hey, you need some help?" asked a voice from her left. She glanced at the source of the voice and before her stood a female twin blade with long blue hair and violet eyes. Mimiru smiled.

"Could you spare a potion?" she asked.

"Maybe," the girl replied, "but I won't spare your life." Mimiru's eyes grew wide and she cried out as the player killer ended her life with a stab in the chest. Satisfied with her attempt to defy the rules of the game, the player killer laughed heartily and eyed her lifeless body as it began to fade. "And you were just the first victim of the day."