6teen Fan Fiction ❯ 7teen: Driving U Crazy ❯ Jen's failure and Mykan's dielema ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER TWO
 
The next morning, Jen's actual driver's test for her licence was only a couple of hours away. She and Jonesy's father agreed that it would be wise to take a private road test first.
 
Jen needed to learn about how strict DMV-Examiners could be. Even though he had told Jen many times before that she was great at driving, “That was me being your father-figure… now I'm a super DMV guy, and I don't please easily.” he warned her.
 
On the road, Jen never felt so nervous before, “How am I doing, Dad…?” she asked for the umpteenth time.
 
“You're doing fine…” her step-father answered, “But remember, I'm not your dad.”
 
“Yeah, I know, you're my step-dad.” Jen joked, and she giggled, but her step-father wasn't impressed. “I am your DMV examiner… and I just dropped you two points for that inappropriate levity.”
 
Jen put her serious face back on. Then she was asked to make a right-turn. “No problem…” she said now sounding and feeling confident. “Signal… break… blind-spot check… hanging round--”
 
“Yes… yes, I did!” she cheered.
 
Her step-father agreed, “Yes… you did it.” but then quickly shouted, “WATCH OUT FOR THAT DOUGHNUT-TRUCK…!”
 
Jen slammed on the breaks, “What doughnut-truck…?” she asked. “I didn't see any Doughnut-Truck.”
 
Her step-father nodded, “But there could have been a doughnut-truck there, and if there had been a doughnut-truck you would've hit the doughnut-truck… because your turn was wide! That's another five points…”
 
Jen couldn't believe this, “I'm down fifteen points already?” she asked. “…this sucks.”
 
“Well that's the way it goes.” replied her step-father, “And… if you lose another two points, it's back to the bus for you young-lady.”
 
Jen sighed, but she did manage to get them both all the way back home without losing anymore points… only because her step-father kept pestering her.
 
“Mirror check…! Keep your eyes on the road.”
 
“Watch your speed… Eyes on the road…!”
 
“Pull over…! Watch your Blind-Spot…! Twelve inches from the curb…! Watch the tree…!”
 
Still, he was impressed by how she did. “Great job, honey… I think your ready for the real test now.”
 
Jen at first felt grateful, and thought she was ready, “But, Dad… could you please drive us there...?” she was really that freaked-out.
 
 
By midday, she finally got to the mall, and everyone was meeting at the lemon. “And here she comes… the women-on-wheels.” Wyatt said.
 
“Shove it…!” Jen snapped.
 
“Ouch… that hurt.” Wyatt said.
 
Caitlin could see Jen was pretty upset, “One super-sized lemon whip coming up…” and she got down to work with her lemons.
 
“So… did you pass?” Nikki just had to ask.
 
Jonesy laughed, “Are you kidding… she flunked so bad, she and Dad had a big fight when they got home.”
 
The rest of us didn't find that a bit funny. “I flunked because he made me flunk.” Jen snapped, “He made me so incredibly nervous, that all through the test I kept seeing runaway doughnut-trucks.”
 
“Didn't the DMV examiner try to calm you down?” I asked.
 
Jen shook her head, “He told me to let him off, and he took a cab home.” Then she groaned and slammed her head down on the table, “Oh! My life is over…!”
 
“Whoa… take a chill; bra…” said Jude. “It's just like riding your skateboard. Sometimes, you just gotta get right back up on her again.”
 
None of us responded, as we really didn't see how driving a car and riding a skateboard were that much alike. Jen was about to go right back to sulking, when… “Hey, Jen…” Charlie came by.
 
“Oh… uh… Charlie… uh… hi…” Jen stuttered.
 
“So…?” Charlie asked.
 
“So… what…?” Jen asked back.
 
Charlie asked how she did on the test. Now normally she was a mature one on the gang, but because she had so very little opportunities to snag boys that she liked, “Oh… I… I um… I passed.”
 
The rest of us each blinked in shock that she had just lied, and before any of us could say a thing. “Well then… maybe after work you and I can take that drive we promised.” Charlie reminded her, “I just love it when a woman knows how to drive.”
 
Then he left, “See ya then, Jen…”
 
Jen kept waving at him until he was out of sight, and then smacked her head, “What did I just do?” she groaned.
 
“Uh… you just totally lied about the test…” Nikki answered, “And you promised to drive with Charlie, without a licence.”
 
“You better not do it bra…” Jude said, “I heard that when you get caught for driving without a licence, they'll like put you in jail.”
 
Jen knew that was right, and decided not to go for it…
 
 
Later on when I headed to Comic-Cavern, I saw a big basket of my favorite chocolate snack-bars on the display case near my cash-register… and there was even a heart-shaped card in basket too. “Sweet…” I said.
 
I assumed that they from Amelie, sort of as a Thank-You for all the times I brought her flowers, and the nice things I did for her, but when I opened the card. “Huh…?”
 
The words weren't written in Amelie's handwriting; I recognized her writing style, anywhere. There also weren't any French words either, and Amelie always wrote to me using a few French phrases…
 
The card read…:
 
Roses are Red.
Chocolate is fine.
And pretty soon…
You'll be all mine.
 
XXX: Courtney.
 
The note suddenly began to quiver in my hand. “Oh… no----!” I whimpered. “It's getting worse…”
 
Indeed things had gotten worse, because then, my cell-phone range; Bye-Bye-Bye, and it was a text-message from Courtney, who had managed to borrow Jen's phone and get my number.
 
“So, how's it goin' handsome…?”
 
“I was thinking maybe our first date should totally be over a pizza and a shake for two.”
 
“Think you can make it…?”
 
“Hungrily yours: Courtney.”
 
I didn't dare respond back, and wasn't as if I could because every ten minutes I got a new message from Courtney asked me to reply, but still I wouldn't.
 
Little did I realize that Courtney was outside, peeking from behind one of the potted-plants, and she was actually more attracted to me than ever now. “Ooh… playin' hard to get? My kinda' style.”
 
Finally, she decided to fake a phone-call, by actually calling up Comic-Cavern, and disguising her voice to sound like Jen, and asking me to come by her house for something a little important…
 
I and actually fell for it… it was okay anyways, I had promised to drive Amelie home that night, and that house was on the way.