6teen Fan Fiction ❯ 7teen: How the Rent A Cop stole Christmas ❯ What it's like Beign alone ( Chapter 4 )

[ A - All Readers ]

CHAPTER FOUR
 
 
Now that the mall was loaded, Ron was ready for his big moment.
 
 
"Their sad cries of woe I now get to hear!"
So he turned on his screens. And put a hand to his ear.
And he did hear a sound as the screen began to show.
It started in low. Then it started to grow...
 
 
Ron was surprised, and couldn't understand it in the least.
 
 
But the mood wasn't sad!
Why, this mood sounded glad!
Every person in the mall, the tall and the small,
Were shopping! Without any Christmas sales at all!
He HADN'T stopped Christmas shopping from coming!
IT CAME!
Somehow or other, it came just the same!
 
 
There might not have been real decent Christmas gifts, but there was still merchandise that could make good ones.
 
Even if they were not on sale or anything, nobody cared, why most of us still weren't finished exchanging our holiday spirits.
 
Some were even singing “Joy to the world”, or “Deck the halls”
 
 
And the Rent-A-Cop, who wished to know,
Stood puzzling and puzzling: "How could it be so?
It came without ribbons! It came without tags!
"It came without packages, boxes or bags!"
 
And he puzzled three hours, `till his puzzler was sore.
Then the Rent-A-Cop thought something he hadn't before!
"Maybe… Christmas," he thought, "Doesn't come from a store.
"Maybe Christmas...perhaps...means a little bit more!"
 
 
Ron never felt this way before. He was starting to feel emotional, and it was beginning to bring on a very disturbing reminder.
 
 
Christmas shopping continued. The shops were all just busting with excitement.
 
The gang met back at the lemon to confirm about the merchandise we got, but while we did we noticed. “Have any of you noticed something weird has been happening?” asked Jonsey.
 
We all looked around. “No, nothing's wrong.” Said Wyatt.
 
“Exactly.” replied Jonsey. “We've been doing plenty of stuff around here today, and there's been No sign of the Rent-A-Cop anywhere.”
 
“Yeah… now that you mention it. I haven't seen him all day.” I said.
 
“Okay, that's weird.” said Jen, “Ron's never gone a single day without looking for any lame excuses to give us a ticket.”
 
“Uh… and we're concerned about this… why?” Nikki asked.
 
“Oh come on, Nikki.” said Jonsey, “You know that there have been some fun times we've had with Ron.”
 
“Heh, heh, Dude! Like the time we tried to force him into early retirement.” said Jude, “That was one for the books.”
 
“Oh yeah… and when we tried to find him work.” added Caitlin.
 
We all shared a good laugh. “Yeah… I guess we have had some fun times with Ron.” Said Wyatt. “But that still doesn't explain why he's not here now.”
 
None of us knew why we were going to do what we were doing next, but we planned to check out Ron's office and see what the trouble was.
 
 
When we got to Ron's office. “Guys, is he--?” asked Jen.
 
“Dude! Never thought he had it in him.” added Jude.
 
The door was open, and we all walked silently in. Ron had his face buried in his arms on his desk, and a small stream of his tears drizzled across the wood.
 
Jonsey gently tapped his shoulders “Yo… Ron. Hey, Ron.”
 
Now usually Ron would snap his head up so suddenly and scare you, but he just slowly looked up. “What do you want, Maggots?” he cried softly. “Can't you see I'm miserable enough?!”
 
“How come you're crying?” asked Caitlin. “No one should feel this way at Christmas.”
 
“Well… get a good look.” replied Ron. “This is usually how I spend all my Christmas', and how they've been for twenty-seven years.”
 
“I usually just go home, feed Mr. Sniffles, cook myself up a Frozen Turkey-Dinner, turn on a Christmas special and… cry myself to sleep.”
 
This was bad. “Dude! That is one Blue-Christmas there.” said Jude.
 
“But, don't have a family or friends you can spend Christmas with?” asked Jen.
 
Ron shook his head sadly. “Nope.” He said sadly. “My Dad… he died in the war after I joined. And my mom died of a broken heart. All of them… gone!”
 
“You mean… you don't have any family?” cried Caitlin. “No kids, or Siblings, or other relatives?!”
 
“No… No!” cried Ron. “I got nothing! I got no one! I'm totally alone. There… you have it now. The fat's been chewed.”
 
Not one of us knew what to say. To us, this was like a bird that couldn't fly, or a fish that had no water.
 
He sighed heavily. “I've been all alone for almost thirty years now. Mr. Sniffles… is all I got… but a guy like me has still got that itch that a cat can't scratch.”
 
“Oh come on, man. You got to lighten up on things.” I said.
 
“Listen here, Maggot--”
 
“No, not this time.” I cut in. “I want to say this, it's important.”
 
“Now you're lonely, and that's something I can relate too. I was alone myself for two years.”
 
I retold the story of how My mom died, and my dad got thrown in the nuthouse for his alcohol abuse, and then I got that restraining order on my brother, Danny just because he was getting married.
 
That's when I got my six-moth old beguile, Penny, and that little dog really kept me company, even at times when I just wanted to cry myself to sleep.
 
Then I met Wyatt after a long time from Grade-eight, and the gang let me in with them which made us into the Band of Seven.
 
Then I got back together with my brother, and the best thing of all. Amelie, the French girl, and pretty much the hottest in the mall; we became an item, and we're so tight together that she may just be “The one”.
 
“But I still live alone in my single-paid apartment. Just me and Penny.” I replied. “and although I may still feel so lonely at times… I know that there are people out there who love me, and who did love me so dearly.”
 
“And to me… that's more than enough to brighten up my Christmas' any day.”
 
Caitlin and Jen wiped their eyes. Jude held his hand across his chest. “Dude. That is so emotional.” He cried.
 
Wyatt, Nikki, and Jonsey nodded in agreement.
 
Ron realized I was right… he had his pet cat, and at least there were some people in the mall who respected him… when he wasn't such a big pain in his harassing teenagers mood.
 
And even though his parents couldn't be with him in body, they were watching him, and he knew they were proud.
 
He stood up and wiped away his tears. “You're right, kids.” He said “I'm here crying like little Tommy Tinker, while I know what I got to do now.”