6teen Fan Fiction ❯ 7teen: Lost as a Dog ❯ What's with Emma? ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER ONE
 
Courtney walked towards me and flicked her long red hair back. “Mmm… have you been working out?” she flirted with me, and winked.
 
Penny barked and growled at Courtney, either because she didn't know her, or… she knew that Courtney was trying to flirt with me in place of Amelie. “Ah! What's your problem…?” Courtney sneered at my dog.
 
I tugged the leash, “Penny, down!”
 
She obeyed and lay down on the grass. Luckily, Robbie and Diego got Courtney off my back when one of them threw a small rock at her from behind, “Ow…! You two are so dead!” and she chased them off…
 
I, however, was relived. “Sorry…” Jen said. “She still hasn't gotten it into her head…”
 
Caitlin came by shrieking louder than ever, “You guys are not going to believe this…” she cried. “Albatross' N Finch” just got a table set up, they got ninety percent off on all items.”
 
Even Jen had to check this out, “Nikki, can you watch Emma…?” she quickly asked, but seeing as how Nikki was so busy smothering the baby…
 
“Oh, we're gonna have so much fun, pookems. Yah… yah… we are.”
 
The baby giggled, and cooed.
 
Jen could see her answer, and rushed off with Caitlin. Jonesy felt he got ripped, “Why didn't she leave with the baby?” he asked.
 
“Uh… maybe because you didn't do such a good job with her the last time…” said Wyatt. “No, Joke…” added Jude, “I got fired from the ice-rink, dude. I miss it so.”
 
“Uh… Jude…?” I said. “You got your job back remember, and “Stick-It” too”
 
Jude smiled, “Oh yeah-- huh… forgot.”
 
With hat settled, we all headed into the parking-lot where the swap-meet was all set up, even a ways down the street too. Traffic was blocked off and everything.
 
 
It sure was quite a morning. There was all kinds of stands at the swap-meet. Even a few contests. Like “Cheesy-Weezies” a shop in the mall that sold all kinds of dairy; particularly cheeses.
 
“Guess how many balls in this jar… and win valuable cheese.” The stand-keeper announced. Jonesy already knew how many there were, “I counted them while I was working at the place.”
 
Wyatt wondered, “Didn't you get fired from there?”
 
Jonesy was grim to admit it, but he did get fired. “I left their most expensive cheese-wheel in the storage before putting it in the refrigerator. It was nasty…!”
 
Wyatt and I looked disgusted, but we pressed on. We even met up with Jude who bought perfect wax for his skateboard after he wandered off. “Wha-ho-hoa… Dudes! This stuff makes me fly like the wind.” he cheered, “Got some for Starr too.”
 
We continued on our paths, and Wyatt found Serena, selling some old CDs. Wyatt decided to stay behind and help his girlfriend when she asked, though he had his doubts of having many sales, “Country music… Bleck!”
 
Typical Wyatt-- still not a fan of the country.
 
 
We met up with Jonesy's brothers, without Courtney, and we ran into Amelie who was running an Ice-Cream cart, she was glad to see us all that day. “'Allo boys…” she said, “Hi Robbie…” she flirted.
 
Robbie blushed, “Hi…”
 
“You are such a sweet little boy…”Amelie just had to peck him on the head. “Oh, sure, you'll kiss him but not me.” I joked. My girlfriend looked up, and we shared a quick kiss. Then we all got an ice-cream each, Amelie let Robbie have his for free, and gave him an extra scoop.
 
Nikki then needed a rest. Wearing the baby carrier and carrying little Emma for too long was starting to kill her. So we all decided to take the closest bench in the shade. “Ooh... I need a break from all this.” she groaned.
 
“Aw, come on, Nikki… I thought you liked babies…” I teased.
 
Nikki set Emma into her stroller, and fixed her frazzled hair as she sat down. “Babies, I like… the hard and back-breaking labour… that's another thing.” She sat next to Jonesy, and he offered her some of his ice-cream… instead she kissed him…
 
Much to Robbie and Diego's disgust; Still thinking Jonesy and Nikki were losers.
 
While we all sat there, Emma laughed and cooed at Penny who was sniffing at her, while I rested in the shade while still holding the leash. Suddenly… something caught Emma's little eyes.
 
A man who passed by down the sidewalk, calling out “Free Balloons…!” and he handed some out to all the kids. Emma wanted one, but she couldn't reach the man. So… she began to cry and squeal, but the man already had gone out of sight.
 
Her cries woke me up, “What's going on…?” I asked.
 
Jonesy bent down, “What's the matter Emma…?” he asked. “Ya' want your soother?” he gave it to his sister, but she spit it back out. Diego tried giving Emma, “Her bunny…?” that wasn't it either…
 
Robbie thought maybe she wanted a bite of ice-cream, but that resulted in her throwing Robbie's cone on the ground, “Aw, man…!”
 
Little Emma continued to cry, and that's when Jen and Caitlin came along with several bags of merchandise. “What's wrong with Emma?” Jen asked.
 
Jude plugged his ears, “Don't know, bra-- but that noise is really startin' to harsh on my earlobe!”
 
Penny, however, she knew perfectly what Emma wanted; a balloon, and since the rest of us all seemed too stupid to realize that, she decided she'd have to go find that man herself.
 
Penny began to try and dash away from me, “Whoa! Penny…!” I snapped. “Penny, heal!” but my dog wouldn't obey.
 
Jen picked the baby up, “Well it's not a diaper-emergency. What's the matter, Emma?”
 
The baby just continued to cry and fuss about. “Hey… maybe she wants Mykan to hold her.” Caitlin suggested, and that wasn't a half bad idea as I was good at handling babies too-- except, my dog was still trying to break away from me.
 
“Ugh! I can't, Caitlin. I'm trying to hold onto Penny.” I said, “I can't hold her and Emma at the same time.”
 
This was a problem. Wyatt wasn't there to help out, and Jude was still holding his ears in frustration of the baby's cries. Jen and Caitlin had too many shopping bags that they couldn't leave unattended, and there was no way I would let Robbie and Diego hold Penny. Nikki was also still wiped out from holding Emma for too long, “And I do really do pets, either.”
 
This only left Jonesy, “I know I'm gonna regret this…”
 
“Say no more…” Jonesy said. “I'll take her, only if I get a small fee of course.”
 
Somehow, I knew he was going to do that, but I didn't have time to argue. “Whatever…!” I said as I handed him the leash, “But don't you let go of her.”
 
“Cross my heart and hope to live…” replied Jonesy.
 
Then I took the baby carrier, and Emma, but she still didn't stop crying. So we all decided to take a walk around the place and maybe it would calm her down.
 
But Penny was more annoyed than ever, she knew what Emma wanted, but no one else did. What could SHE do about it-- being a dog.