6teen Fan Fiction ❯ 7teen: Lost as a Dog ❯ The search ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER TWO
 
Jonesy was finding it hard to hold onto Penny as she was still acting a little crazy, almost as if she was trying to tell us something. “Dude… I think you should get this dog tranquilized.”
 
Luckily I couldn't hear him over Emma's cries. We had circled the entire swap meet about three times already, and she still didn't stop squealing. However, she did stop for a few seconds, because she saw the man with the balloons walking down the other side of the street, but as soon as he went out of sight with his balloons she started crying again.
 
Jude finally snapped from the cries, “That's it, Dudes! I cannot take this anymore. I'm outta' here.” and he dashed off on his board.
 
“Well, maybe she's hungry.” Nikki suggested.
 
She had a point, it was coming up to noon, and we could all use a good lunch. So we decided to head for the outdoor food-court. Penny, on the other hand decided now was her chance to find that man with the balloons.
 
She dashed around a lamppost allowing her to slip out of her collar, and she ran for it…!
 
Jonesy pulled on the leash, but it felt caught. “Hey! Ugh…!” he gave it a good yank, and the empty collar fell by my feet. I was shocked to find that Penny wasn't there. “Jonesy! What have you done?!” I nearly shouted.
 
“I didn't do anything…” protested Jonesy, “Your wild dog got away.”
 
I looked all over the streets, “Penny! Penny…!” I called but she was nowhere to be seen. “Aw, man…! Aw, man!” I was almost ready to hyperventilate. I just had to go look for her. “And you're fired Jonesy! Forget about the pay.”
 
Jen took Emma, who was still crying loudly. “We'll go get a table… you can go search.”
 
I nodded, and headed off, Jonesy decided to go with me as he let Penny go. She had to be around somewhere.
 
 
Penny was dashing all over the streets searching for the man with the balloons. She ran past the cheese stand… under many tables… Through the walking crowds, but she couldn't find him anywhere. She even sniffed about to try and pick up the scent…
 
She then ran past the outdoor manicure tent where Courtney had just finished having her nails done, when Penny tripped her off her feet. “WHOA… Ah!” She turned her head just in time to see the dog disappear down the street. “What a mutt!” she grunted.
 
Then she looked up and saw me and Jonesy running down the other side of the street. “Ooh… what a hunk…” her nails were ruined, thank goodness, so she decided to make another move on me.
 
She dashed on ahead and was ready to do the old “Anciently run-into on purpose around the corner”
 
And it worked-- except she ran into Jonesy instead of me, and I just kept on running ahead without him. “Penny…!” I kept calling. I was gone within a split second.
 
“Ow…!” groaned Jonesy as he rubbed his head, “What's your problem?” he sneered.
 
“Funny… I should ask you the same.” his stepsister said, “What's the rush for anyway?”
 
Jonesy couldn't talk now, “We gotta' find Mykan's dog… let me know if you've seen her.” and he ran off. This made Courtney remember the dog that just tripped her up. “So Mykan lost his dog, huh?” the thought, and then she figured maybe she could use this to her advantage.
 
She would find Penny, and blackmail me into taking her out… but first she had to find Penny.
 
 
Here, and there, all around the square, but Penny was refusing to give up until she found the man with balloons. Suddenly, there he was up ahead handing gout more balloons to the kids.
 
Penny moved right up the man's legs, and the man let out a huge sneeze. “Hey, pooch… go away! I'm allergic to dogs.” but Penny wouldn't leave, not until she got a balloon for Emma…
 
The man sneezed again, and tried to move away, but Penny kept following him. Finally, one, a police-man came by, “Can you get her out of here, please!” the man begged, and he sneezed again.
 
Penny was just inches away from snagging a balloon string in her teeth, when she was taken away by the cop. “Gee… no collar?” the man said, “I think we better take you to the lost and found.”
 
 
Jonesy and were still searching. “Penny…!” we didn't find her, but we did run into Wyatt, Serena, and Amelie who was on her break. “Mykan… what's the matter?” Serena asked.
 
I told them right away of how I let Jonesy walk Penny, “And he let her get away!”
 
“I did not…!” snapped Jonesy. “She slipped off while I wasn't looking.”
 
Amelie motioned for us to calm down. “Stop it both of you… you are acting like… how do you say-- Boys with toys!”
 
I realized she was right, “Sorry, Jonesy I didn't mean to snap at you…” I said. “Look, you guys gotta' help us, I can't live without Penny. I just can't!”
 
Wyatt urged me to settle down, “Let's split up. We'll each take different sides of the streets.” he suggested. We all agreed, and called, “BREAK…!” and we ran for it…
 
If we only had stayed another few seconds, for the cop who was holding Penny, on his way to the Lost and Found, just passed where we were.
 
Poor Penny, she was so close…! She just hoped little Emma was okay…
 
 
She wasn't… Little Emma had been crying non-stop for a whole hour now. The others were now all alone at the food-court as most of the people had left due to the annoyance of the baby's cry.
 
The guys tried to feed her, but it became obvious that Emma wasn't hungry at all. “Aww… come on, Emma, what's the matter?” Jen asked.
 
Jude rolled by, with cotton in his ears, “Man… is the mini-bra still at it?” he asked rhetorically. Nobody answered, but they just didn't know what was wrong.
 
That's when Emma saw the Balloon-Man pass by the way, but he was gone instantly, and she began to squeal and fuss some more. The others almost felt ready to snap. If only they knew…!