6teen Fan Fiction ❯ 7teen: Mrs. Jonesy & Mr. Nikki ❯ Can we do it? ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER THREE
When we all met up at the mall, you can bet the rest of us were just as surprised.
“Dude…!” exclaimed Jude.
“No way…!” cried.
“What…?” I asked.
“You're getting married?” added Caitlin.
“Not so loud!” snapped Nikki.
Thank goodness no one else heard. Jonesy, Nikki, and Jen explained that there was no avoiding it. The parents made it clear and would hear no arguments. “Put their feet down? Whoa… harsh…” said Jude.
Jonesy and Nikki were flipped out of their heads. They weren't even eighteen yet, none of us were. Plus Jonesy was not exactly a money-making man. “I hardly even made money when I had my allowance back in fifth grade. I can't support a wife.”
“True that…” Wyatt said.
“Don't forget, Nikki could be pregnant.” added Caitlin.
“Caitlin-- not helping.” I said to her, but Jonesy had already slightly snapped. “I gotta' get out of here for a while. Later.” and he left.
Nikki looked to be on the verge of tears, “I think I should go too…” she cried and then she was gone.
The rest of us felt really upset for our friends. We wished there was something we could do, but then again what would you say to two people who were being forced and rushed into marriage? “Maybe they just need some time to think it over.” Jen said.
We all agreed to that and hoped they would be okay.
But Jonesy and Nikki weren't okay. Nikki was at the Khaki-Barn with her head facedown, buried in her arms, flat on the counter. The Clones poked her gently, but Nikki didn't even make a sound. “I think she's dead…” said Kristen. “Um, I don't think dead people breathe.” said Kirsten, “…Or do they?” added Krissy.
Nikki finally groaned and stirred. “EEE…!” The Clones yelped and ran for it.
Caitlin and Jen came along with a coffee for Nikki. “Thought you might need one…” Jen said. Nikki finally got up, but she looked as if she hadn't sleep in days, and after just one hour of being so still. She was almost skeptical to sip her coffee for fear it was drugged like her soda was the other night.
“Nikki you have to.” Caitlin said, “You need your strength for…” she hushed down and whispered, “The… you-know-what.” she was hinting to the supposed baby. “Ah-ohh…!” Nikki groaned as she slid down the wall to the floor. “What did I do to deserve this?”
What worried her just as much was how Jonesy was taking it. The girls told her the guys and I had gone check on him. Nikki hoped that things wouldn't get worse.
“EEEEEE…!”
“Tell me I didn't hear that…?” Nikki begged. The Clones rushed over to her and had just heard the news from her mom over the phone. “You're getting married!”
Nikki was afraid of this! Her mom was already planning things, inviting people, and planning a bridal shower. “Oh, no…! Please… no!” she cried.
The Clones were already acting crazy and going berserk over what to wear. Caitlin and Jen helped Nikki get out of the store before anyone else crowded around her.
Now it was even harder for Jonesy to concentrate on his work that ever. Cleaning off and organizing the wedding gowns kept reminding him, every second, of his upcoming and unavoidable marriage to Nikki.
The guys and I helped him a little so he wouldn't make a mistake and get fired. Jonesy even just got a text from Jen, on Nikki's behalf. It explained about what Miranda was practicing. “Oh, this is just great.” he groaned. “Now, more people know.”
“At least I didn't spill it this time, bro.” Jude said.
“Poor, Nikki…” Jonesy said. They guys and I found it amazing the first thing he said was Nikki's name, and the fact he was showing more care and concern about her than him, and why wouldn't he?
Getting married was no small thing, especially at such a young age. Jonesy had it hard enough passing as Nikki's boyfriend, what with his balancing parental Jonesy, and regular Jonesy. Worse were his finances. Sure he had a job now, but he had a feeling even it wouldn't last too long, and even his freelancing check for being a star at Comic-Cavern wouldn't be enough. “Ah, man…! I don't know if I can go through with this.”
“Sure you can.” said Wyatt. “Just think of all the things you've already been through.”
True, Jonesy had been through a lot. He always kept trying. He also helped battle and defeat The Zombites on two separate occasions. Not to mention he almost died for Nikki once.
Jonesy touched the remains of the scar under his bangs from that event.
“And, Dude, don't forget the mini-dude that Nikki might have.” Jude pointed out. If Nikki really was pregnant, though no one knew for sure yet-- that baby would need a father. “You may not be the perfect role-model, but you'll do way better than my dad ever did.” I said hinting to the way my father abused and beat me before he was locked away for life.
Jonesy stood straight and tall. “You're right.” he said. “I gotta go find Nikki.” I handed him something to give to Nikki, and he dashed off forgetting to check out for a quick break. “Jonesy… where you go now?” Hilda asked.
The rest of us told her to let him go. Hilda figured she'd do more than just let him go… which obviously meant Jonesy was fired again.
Jonesy had a perfect idea where Nikki was… at the ice rink. Jude wasn't working there today, but he always left a spare key for us when they wanted some alone time which know one knew of.
She was sitting alone, and chomping on a bag of pretzels due to her appetite. “Jonesy…?”
Jonesy caught his breath. “Look… I know about what your mom is doing.”
Nikki dropped her pretzel bag and her head dropped into her hands. “Ugh…! Look…” she cried. “I don't know if I can handle this. I mean… I… I…”
“Nikki… I'm scared too…” Jonesy said, “But I've been more worried about you than me.”
Nikki looked up, and Jonesy explained to her what the guys and I had told him. Nikki realized he was right, and she remembered that Jonesy did think she was “The One” and they did hold a long-distance relationship when Nikki moved to Nunavut for a year until she came back.
Nikki also remembered herself saying. “The one guy who means more to me… than anyone else in the whole world She thought of the baby she was supposedly carrying too.
“Nikki…” Jonesy replied. “I know I'm not the perfect guy in the world, but I wanna be there for you and our kid if you're really pregnant… in any way that I can or know how.” He reached into his pocket and pulled out what I gave to him to give to her, a ring. It was a just a piece of ordinary costume jewelry, but he held it out to Nikki, “So I'm asking you properly now… Nikki Wong… will you marry me?”
Nikki gently took the ring and slid it on her finger. “Yes…” was all she could say.
Just like once before… Jonesy held Nikki's face and brought her lips to his, and Nikki wrapped her arms around his neck.
The engagement was official!