Ah My Goddess Fan Fiction ❯ Conflicted Hearts ❯ Chapter 6 ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

-Chapter 6 of Conflicted Hearts!
 
-Without anything much to say, on with the story!
 
Morisato's Residence
 
“So what are we going to do with Troubadour? He obviously can't take a hint!” Urd said with indignation as she looked to the side, hoping NOT to see him. Unfortunately, she didn't get her wish since she could see him waving back at her through the window.
 
“Well, it's your problem! Why don't you do something about it?” Skuld said, nearly spitting out her reply. While her ultimate goal was also to get rid of Troubadour, and hook up Urd and Keiichi, that didn't mean she had to play nice to Urd either.
 
Urd narrowed her eyes and glared at Skuld. “What do you think I've been trying to do?” She then relented and sighed. “Normally, I should be able to handle him on my own. But he is no longer my main concern.” She then looked to see Keiichi sitting on the ground. Concerned washed over her instantly. “I'm more concerned about Keiichi sake than my own.”
 
Skuld frowned too. She too was concerned. Not necessarily for Keiichi's sake (though deep down inside, she was concerned for him as well), but for Belldandy's. “Well…what do you suggest?” Random explosions and screaming are heard in the background. “I'm quickly running out of armaments for Benpai and I'm not sure how fast I can get another load ready.”
 
“I will make sure that nothing will happen to Keiichi.” Belldandy spoke up at that moment. `And after that, I will see what I can do about Troubadour. Maybe to see what his true intentions are.' While deep down inside, she was hoping that it was to re-ignite love between him and Urd, and with her general trust in everyone including the darkest of demons in the world, she trusted Troubadour's words as well. At the same time, she wasn't as naïve as everyone believes to just take things at face value either. Trust…but verify.
 
“And I…” Urd paused as she tried to think of what she should do. “I'll…I'll talk to him personally. Maybe I can talk some sense into him. Though that hasn't happened before so I won't be holding my breath.” She said in a lower tone.
 
“Um…what about me?” Keiichi quietly spoke up from his position on the floor.
 
“You…” Urd turned to him in an instant. “Your job is to stay away from him at all cost. Got it?”
 
“Gulp!” Keiichi sank back down. “Sure.”
 
“And…” Urd looked away sadly for a moment. “Stay away from me at all cost too. As long as you are no where near me, maybe…he won't get the wrong idea.”
 
Keiichi seemed to be disheartened by that comment, more so than he had expected. “Yeah. That would be a good idea.” He quietly replied, with a slight tone of disenchantment.
 
This, again, was not lost on Belldandy. `Why?' Her mind screamed out at him. “Keiichi? Are you okay?”
 
“Huh?” Keiichi quickly turned to her. “Oh, um, yeah! I'm fine!” Keiichi scratched the back of his head quickly as he tried to put Belldandy at ease. “I'm just…you know, stressed out! After all, having a psychotic really jealous ex-boyfriend of Urd that could make my body explode with bugs doesn't exactly do wonders to my stress level! Hehehe!” Keiichi said quickly, trying to lighten the somewhat somber mood that seemingly descended upon the room.
 
Belldandy continued to stare at Keiichi for a while, trying to gauge his emotions, before a faint smile appeared on her face. So far, Keiichi's emotions and concern seemed to be genuine. “Oh Keiichi, don't worry! We will get through this!” Belldandy leaned in closer to Keiichi and placed her hands on top of his.
 
Urd felt sick to her stomach when she saw that. While deep down inside, she knew why, her rational mind refused to accept it. “I'll go out and talk to him.”
 
Keiichi sighed. “I think I should…stay in my room.”
 
Skuld crossed her arms and was deep in thought. “I'm going to set up the energy barrier around your room. It's going to take me a while so Urd better keep him away long enough for me to set it up!” She then glared at Keiichi. “You better appreciate what I'm doing!” She ran to her room and slammed her door shut.
 
`Yeah…if I survive this, I'm going to give you as much ice cream as I can afford…and then take out a loan to buy you some more!' Keiichi mentally replied as he slowly got up and began to head to his room. “Well, I guess I can work on updating the program on that computer. Now that I will be spending all my time there…”
 
“Do you want to me to be with you?” Belldandy offered smiling. “If it makes you feel better…”
 
Keiichi smiled at the offer but lightly shook his head. “That's okay Bell! You really don't have to! I…I think I'll be fine!”
 
“Okay…” Belldandy said, with a twinge of disappointment in her voice. “I'm going to be in the kitchen making dinner! Take care Keiichi!” Belldandy gave one last look at Keiichi, before she trotted off to the kitchen.
 
After a few moments of contemplation, Keiichi hung his head. `Why did I just do that? This could've been an excuse for us to be alone! Stupid!' Keiichi shook his head in disbelief and headed towards him room. “Well, guess there isn't much I can do now…”
 
Courtyard
 
Troubadour nursed his right arm after the last explosion caught him off by surprise. Each time he tried to avoid the little robot, the robot always outsmarted him with hidden mines, laser guided missiles, chain guns unloading on him from hidden locations, camouflage, and one time involving a toy bunny that gave him candy, only to explode in his face causing a massive fireball. “How? How can that thing keep thwarting my every move?”
 
“That's my sister for you.” Urd flew up to where Troubadour was standing. Her calm expression changed to that of rage as she glared at Troubadour. “Now, why are you still here?”
 
Troubadour raised a single hand as his mouth fell open before Urd turned away in an instant.
 
“No, never mind! I already know why you're here.” Urd said with a disapproving glare. She then noted that his expression changed to that of…fear? Fear like he was exposed. `So, you do have an ulterior motive don't you?' Unfortunately, at the moment, she can't fathom what that ulterior motive could be. `I just hope to find out before something terrible happens. Though to be extra safe…' “The question I should be asking is WHY you're still here? I told you once, and I'm TELLING you again that we are through!”
 
Troubadour's face calmed down a bit. `She doesn't know…' “It's only because I am here to win back your heart my lovely Urd!” He reached out and tried to take her hands.
 
Urd instantly pulled away. “Just leave and NEVER come back! How many times do I have to tell you?”
 
“But my lovey dovey…” Troubadour took a step towards Urd again when he heard a click behind him. He slowly cranked his head back to see what it was.
 
Benpai was aiming a pretty massive chain gun at him. However, the barrel simply spun around, clicking after each rotation.
 
Troubadour gave a sigh of relief, that relief however was short lived when Urd opened her mouth behind him.
 
“I think I'm beginning to see what's going on here.” Urd said as a grin appeared on her face. “Her elaborate dress dissolved and reformed into a scantily clad corset made of leather, complete with leather boots and leather gloves, and in her hands, a thick leather whip. “You just want to be punished!”
 
Troubadour slowly backed up from Urd. “Um, my sweet lovely honey…I told you that I wasn't into that before…”
 
“I don't know…” Urd's eyes flashed with glee. “You keep coming back after all those attacks by my sister's little robot…” She cracked the whip ominously next to her. “It isn't hard to put two and two together! Isn't that right you bad boy?” Urd said in a seductive, if dangerous tease.
 
Troubadour took even more steps back. “Urd…um, it isn't… You know, I think I should go this way…” He spun around and started sprinting.
 
“Where are you going?” Urd narrowed her eyes as she ran after Troubadour. SNAP! She snapped the whip at Troubadour's butt. “Don't you want my love?”
 
“OW! No!” Troubadour held his butt as he jumped over a rock. SNAP! “Ow! I mean YES! Just not when you're…” SNAP! “OW! Someone save me!”
 
Over the wall, on a nearby tree, Mara peered over the wall to see Troubadour getting whipped by Urd. She grinned at the scene. She was amused at the scene in front of her, though it wasn't exactly what she wanted. “Well, he is causing trouble in there at least.”
 
“Seeing long eared weirdo sad makes Senbei happy!” Senbei danced on Mara's shoulder.
 
Mara sighed and shook her head. “Except HE wasn't the target!”
 
“Then does this mean that master's plan has failed again?” Senbei asked without much thought, something that should be expected.
 
“Grrrrrrrrrrrr!” Mara grabbed Senbei and started squeezing him. “Give it time! Once Troubadour gets close enough to that mortal, and unleashes his little surprise…you're going to be a very, VERY happy little god!”
 
Morisato's Residence - Skuld's Lab
 
“Hmm.” Skuld was at her desk tinkering with, a strange looking metallic ball with wires springing out from everywhere. “This thing should do the trick! Once the power is flipped on, it will create a field that will repeal that Plum Tree Spirit! That should ensure that I get at least a few good hours to help rearm Benpai!” She then frowned as she thought of something. “But this is only a temporary solution to an ongoing problem!” Her head whipped back to the sound of loud screams of pain. “You better be happy about this Keiichi because I'm doing this all for you!”
 
As Skuld continues to tinker away at the device, sitting next to her was the television, or least parts of the television that had originally sat in Urd's room. She even `borrowed' a few components from Keiichi's computer to build her device. “I'm sure Keiichi won't miss these!”
 
Morisato's Residence - Keiichi's Shop
 
Keiichi stared at the now disassembled computer. He stared at the reflection that was staring back at him on the black monitor. It was pretty much the only thing that was recognizable that came from his computer. After a few more minutes of mental cursing, Keiichi sank into his chair. He deeply sighed as he thought of what Skuld was doing. “Well, I guess I should appreciate this. I mean my life is on the line right?”
 
A loud male scream pieced the thin walls of his home.
 
“And Urd is doing everything she can to help me too!” Keiichi noted as he stared at the ceiling above him. For some reason though, this brought a smile to Keiichi's face. He wasn't exactly sure why at the moment. Well, okay, the fact that someone, anyone, was trying to extend his mortal lifeline might normally be enough of a reason to most people but, given what he faced in the past, and the fact that all the goddesses in this temple would protect one another, even him, this should be all sort of, expected now. So why should he be smiling over something that Urd was doing? `That reminds me…' Keiichi thought back to the race and frowned. `I still owe Urd over that incident. If it weren't for her…Bell would be with Aoshima. Sure the bike was a lost, and I still have that bump on my forehead to show for it, but still, the thought of losing Bell to him would be unimaginable.' He backed up from his chair and glanced at the doorway behind him. `I should get her something to show my appreciation at least! Wonder what I should get her?' His eyes then dropped as the most obvious answer came to him. “Sake.” `But maybe I could give her something else…'
 
-Later…
 
Outside Keiichi's Shop
 
Keiichi stood at the entrance of his room and awaited Skuld's demonstration about the new device that was supposed to save his hide.
 
Urd and Belldandy also eagerly awaited Skuld's demonstration. More so Belldandy than Urd who was just hoping this would be kept short so that she wouldn't miss her favorite show.
 
Skuld brought out the massive metallic ball looking device. She popped open a panel and began tinkering with a few of the parts.
 
“Skuld…” Urd narrowed her eyes as it seemed that Skuld was taking an exorbitantly long time. Time, which would have been better spent on something else. “Would you start already?! My favorite American show is about to start!”
 
“Hold on just a little longer!” Skuld said as she put a few more objects into the device, holding them up, and wiring them in before she slammed the panel shut. “Have to make sure that this is working properly or ELSE, I might accidentally rip Keiichi to shreads given the amount of energy and the dimensional bending and shifting that would be flowing here!”
 
Belldandy shook her head at the thought of that ever happening. “Certainly don't want that!”
 
Keiichi gulped at that possibility. “Nope! That wouldn't be good!”
 
“Okay okay.” Urd's eyes rose to the ceiling. “So you don't want to kill Keiichi with the device that's supposed to protect him. Well, assuming that your machine works…what does it do?”
 
“Well…” Skuld backed up and picked up a surge protector that the device was currently plugged into. “Now Keiichi, as long as you stay behind that line…” Skuld pointed to the line that she drew on the floor. “You should be completely safe once I flip the switch…” Skuld flipped the switch. “Like that!”
 
Urd's, Bell's, and Keiichi's eyes wandered from one side of the hallway, to the other. As far as they could see, nothing out of the ordinary happened.
 
Urd and Belldandy however, did feel a low electrical field being generated.
 
“I don't understand.” Keiichi said scratching his head. “What did you do? I don't see anything…”
 
Skuld tapped the device with her screwdriver as she glared a disapproval expression at Keiichi. “You're not supposed to see anything!”
 
“Well something is definitely being generated.” Urd noted by the feeling that she was getting once the device was activated. “But what exactly is this?”
 
“A low dimensionally shifted force field!” Skuld proudly proclaimed as she raised her fist in triumph. “Another sign of my vast genius! BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!”
 
Urd shifted her eyes from left to right again. “Rigggggggggght! And you're sure that it doesn't hurt Keiichi?”
 
“Yup! I'll even prove it to you!” Skuld said as she ushered Keiichi to step over the line. “Keiichi, can you step beyond that line?”
 
Given his experience with Skuld's devices, he wasn't sure if this was exactly a good idea. Taking a deep breath, and closed his eyes in fear, he took a single step across the line. Feeling nothing out of the ordinary, he took another step forward and was now completely outside his room. He opened one eye, than another and noted that he was completely in tack. “I'm alive!”
 
“Of course you are!” Skuld smiled as she forcefully pushed Keiichi back into the room. Stopping before she crossed the line herself. “Now stay there!”
 
Keiichi lost his balance and landed on his butt. “Ow! Why?”
 
“What do you think dufus?!” Skuld glared at Keiichi again before she shook her head in resignation. “Staying inside ensures that Troubadour will not get you! You see Troubadour is a multidimensional spirit, much like us. And like us, while we appear three dimensional to you, that's only because we intersect this dimensional space. Now, the difference between him and us is what type of dimensional spirit he is, and how he interacts with this dimension!”
 
“Huh?” Keiichi said, still confused by Skuld's explanation.
 
“What Skuld is trying to say is that this device attacks the way Troubadour interacts with this plain of existence.” Urd interjected. “In other words, it throws him out of the spatial three dimensional world, bringing you out of harms way since, if he can't interact in this dimension, than he can't hurt someone from this dimension…you.”
 
“I think I can understand that…” Keiichi said tapping his chin.
 
Belldandy nodded. “Yes…but…”
 
“Let me guess, even you can't go through it.” Keiichi slumped his arms in defeat.
 
“Um, actually…” Belldandy took a few steps forward. As she approached the line, she slowly began to disappear.
 
Keiichi's eyes widened in fear as he saw Belldandy slowly disappear. “Bell! What are you doing? No! Stop!”
 
After a few moments, Belldandy's image was gone.
 
“Belldandy!” Keiichi screamed in shock and fear. “Why?! Why?! Why?!”
 
“Um…” Skuld began with a raised voice, trying to get Keiichi's attention back.
 
“Why?!” Keiichi dropped to his knees.
 
Urd covered her eyes in embarrassment. “Keiichi…”
 
“Bell! Why did she…”
 
Belldandy tapped him on the shoulder. “I'm right here Keiichi!”
 
“ACK!” Keiichi spun around and stared straight at Belldandy. “Bell? What? How?”
 
“We're a ten dimensional being Keiichi.” Urd stated. “Nine if you only count spatial existence. Since Troubadour exist in only half of that, so, if Skuld did this right, he won't be able to pass through. But Bell, me, and Skuld can pass through the barrier even if our third dimensional interaction is disrupted for a while.” Urd said as her mouth quivered at Keiichi's emotional outburst for her sister. `I wonder if he will do the same for me?'
 
“Since it only affects the specific dimensions that Troubadour would exist in, I can easily pass through it without any problems!” Belldandy gave her typically warm smile.
 
“Oh…hehehe…” Keiichi scratched the back of his head. “I knew that!”
 
Belldandy then frowned softly. “Though this does mean that giving you tea can be difficult…”
 
“Don't worry. Um…I guess you can just leave it out in front of the door and then I can get pick it up.” Keiichi noted. He then thought of something, as he looked at the device in question. “Um…about that device…how much energy is it using?”
 
“Oh…um…just a bit.” Skuld said as her eyes wondered around nervously.
 
Outside, the electrical meter was spinning at super sonic speed.
 
Streams of tears appeared on Keiichi's face.
 
-Later…
 
Urd's Castle
 
Urd was flipping through channels. At least, that was what she would be doing if the fact that the television wasn't in pieces in front of her. `I am going to kill that little goddess the next time I see her!'
 
“Hi there!” Said goddess cheerfully remarked behind Urd.
 
“Skuld…just the one I wanted to see.” Urd stared dangerously at Skuld. “Could you please explain why you had to use the television for that device of yours?!”
 
“HEY!” Skuld glared at Urd back with her own image of contempt. “It wasn't like I had a choice! There isn't a lot I could use here that would be useful! And besides, if you did what you were supposed to, this wouldn't be an issue now would it?!”
 
Urd's eyes flashed for a second before frowning deeply. “Well excuse me if that bafoon is more stubborn than even I imagined.”
 
“Hmph!” Skuld raised her nose at Urd, sensing a rare victory with their debates.
 
After a few moments of silence, Urd eyed Skuld again as a thought came to her. “Now could you at least tell me that you covered all areas of entry into Keiichi's room?”
 
“Of course!” Skuld said, indignant that her intelligence was being questioned again. “I covered the walls and ceiling with field extension devices! That way, the field encompasses the sides, and even a possible roof attack! Keiichi is totally safe!”
 
“What about the floor?”
 
Skuld opened her mouth but no words came out of it. Realization dawned on Skuld that her little plan might have a weakness. After a few moments, she closed it and frowned. “Um…”
 
Urd shot her head to the door of her room. “Damn it! Keiichi!”
 
Keiichi's Shop
 
Keiichi began writing down the problems in his homework. On one hand, he was glad to have only one class to worry about before he could graduate and get his bachelors degree. On the other hand though, this meant that once he was done with his homework, he would have a ton of free time on his hands now that he was mostly confined in his room. `I can't even watch TV or play computer games on my antique computer.' He took a deep sigh when, at that moment, nature was calling. `Great…'
 
Keiichi got up from his seat and walked over to doorway. “Um, hello? Can I go to the bathroom? It's only a few rooms down?” He peered from one side of the hallway to the other. “Um, hehehe. You see, I really to go…”
 
Keiichi shook his head and took a step back. `I shouldn't risk it I guess, what if he comes back and hurt me badly?'
 
“Oh boy who has taken the heart of my beloved!” A voice behind Keiichi said causing him to tense up.
 
Keiichi's eyes widen in fear. He slowly cranked his head back to see the source of that voice. `How did he get through?!' He took a big gulp. “Um, hi?”
 
Troubadour wrapped an arm around Keiichi. “Now I've been hearing rumors about you mortal. Rumors that make Troubadour's heart fill with ire. You know what those rumors are?”
 
“But they are not true!” Keiichi weakly defended. “You heard Belldandy! And she's a first class goddess so she never lies!”
 
“She may not.” Troubadour glared at Keiichi evilly. “But nothing is stopping you from lying…mortal.”
 
`Help me…' Keiichi thought as he closed his eyes awaiting his fate.
 
“What's the definition of insanity?” Urd said as she appeared in front of Troubadour.
 
“Doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result.” Skuld interjected.
 
Troubadour eyes sank as he saw the face of Urd. “Um, hi my sweet…”
 
“Unhand Keiichi please.” Urd said as her arm electrified.
 
Troubadour did just that with fear evident on his face.
 
Keiichi crawled out of the way, and then behind Urd. A second later in his grasp, and his pants won't be as clean as they were at the moment.
 
“You see me and this mortal were just having a little conversation!” Troubadour meekly gave out.
 
“Oh goody!” Urd said as a dark smile appeared on her face. “I have something to say to you too!”
 
“Really?” Troubadour said, smiling with a little hope in his voice.
 
“Yup!” Urd's eyes darkened at the sight. “Goodbye!” Urd shot Troubadour with a massive electrical bolt.
 
“AHHHHHHHHHHH!” Troubadour was sent flying towards the wall. Only to be repelled back into the room, withering in pain.
 
Urd eyes widened at the fact that Troubadour was not sent flying out of the room. An evil smile appeared on his face. “Tell me Skuld, it doesn't just stop him from interacting with this spatial existence does it?”
 
Skuld shook her head. “It also repels him back if he were really persistent in his pursuit.”
 
A sadistic smile appeared on Urd's face. “Really? Well than, I think this bad boy needs to learn a thing or two don't you think Skuld?”
 
“Hey!” Skuld said as she grimaced. “I'm a little young for that!”
 
Troubadour gulped. “Oh not, not again! Urd, remember I'm not into that…”
 
“What was that? I can't hear you!” Urd said as she blasted Troubadour back towards the barrier.
 
“AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!” Troubadour screamed as he slammed back into the barrier and back into the room. “I said…AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!” He screamed again as Urd blasted him back into the barrier without even letting him hit the ground. “Help me…AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!”
 
“HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!” Urd laughed manically. “I can do this all day!”
 
Keiichi's eyes were wide in amazement and fear at the scene in front of him. He slowly backed away from Urd and headed out of his room. “I think I'll go the bathroom now!” Once out of the room, he sprinted to the bathroom at full force.
 
Unseen by anyone though, a small box with elaborate decorations, fell out of Troubadour's clothing during this ordeal.
 
-------End of Chapter 6
 
Finally! Done with Chapter 6! Really sorry for the delay but, I've been held up with tons of schoolwork this quarter! Final year in school, and with it, I've been working my butt off to make sure I graduate this year (and even then, I still need summer school in order to push myself over the edge).
 
Oh yeah, and any talk about spatial dimensions have been purposely kept to a minimum. I mean I can't be too technically since that makes it sound like I know something, which I obviously don't. ;-)
 
At this rate, I'm seeing at least 20 chapters. A LOT slower than I had anticipated. For one thing, I didn't think Troubadour's little arc here would take up like 3-4 chapters! Still, this story is progressing!
 
Next Chapter…What is in that box? And how will this affect the relationships of the residence of the Morisato's Residences? Until then…later!