Angel Sanctuary Fan Fiction ❯ Paradise and the Eternal Nightmare ❯ Confrontation Part 3 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Rant: I finally updated! I'm so sorry for the long, long, LONG delay. As a reward for everyone's patience, I have decided to make my rant short and this chapter very good and very long! Oh, and the next chapter is already outlined and ready to be typed! Again, thanks for all the reviews!
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Angel Sanctuary, but I do own this story.
 
Types of dialogues:
 
“talking”
“chants, spells, etc.”
`thoughts'
 
[LINEBREAK]
 
Chapter 5: Confrontation Part 3 - Playing with Fire
 
Michael soared towards the clouds, hacking and slashing away any obstacles between him and his fire-casting target. During his little “journey”, he managed to mutilate, kill, and utterly obliterate exactly six devils, two Nidhegs, fourteen Gehennian evils, and seventy-eight bat-winged imps. Not bad for a start.
 
Once he had killed those pathetic fools, he noticed someone he knew quite, quite well: the organic angel, Alexiel. She was busily slicing apart his “brothers in arms”, and spilling their blood throughout the sky. His mouth widened into a teeth-baring smile as he gave her a menacing glare.
 
`Well, well, look who's here! This should be fun…' Michael thought as he swiftly flapped his wings up towards Alexiel's position, hoping to draw first blood.
 
oOo
 
Alexiel looked down just in time to parry the archangel's upward sword slash. She then gracefully back-flipped and blasted a few fireballs at her attacker. When the fireballs made contact with the other enemy, they exploded, releasing thick black smoke that momentarily shrouded her attacker. When the smoke faded away, she finally noticed it was none other than Michael, the great archangel of fire and the general of Heaven's “glorious” army. Alexiel felt a tinge of excitement ripple through her body as she finally met her match.
 
`No wonder my spells didn't work, since he does, after all, have an immunity to fire. This should prove to be quite an interesting battle…'
 
oOo
 
Meanwhile, inside the fortress of Assiah-Anagura, the few soldiers who stayed behind to keep the fortress active were in frantic mess.
 
“Lieutenant! A group of demons are nearing our base! Our soldiers can't hold them back much longer!” informed a sweating intelligence officer.
 
Lieutenant Sashael slammed his fist on a table with a large holographic image of the battleground, which was powered by light magic. “Arghhh!!! How many demons are approaching officer?”
 
“I-I don't know! At least a hundred or so, maybe even more!” The officer replied nervously, “Our shields are down 57% and roughly half of our defensive weapons are nearly destroyed! Sir, I suggest we bail out and retreat!”
 
Sashael smacked the speaking officer on the head. “Calm down, officer! We will not be abandoning this fortress. We must keep those bastardly demons at bay.”
 
“But sir-“
 
“SILENCE!!! I'd rather stay here even if it kills me rather than retreat and die anyway from the Michael-sama's wrath!”
 
The officer quieted down and whimpered.
 
Suddenly, one of the engineers' eyes widened and he got off his seat, nervously running up to the lieutenant.
 
“Lieutenant Sashael! An enemy is penetrating through our defenses right here! The walls can't hold much longer. Sir, we need to get out no-AAAAAAARRRRRGGGHH!!!”
 
The engineer angel yowled in pain as a lance of molten lava drove melted right through his body from behind. He was soon lifted from the floor, causing the lance to cut up to his collarbone, and then tossed several feet to the side, smashing into a wall headfirst. A barely audible crack could be heard from the skull, adding a final insult before the unfortunate angel's death.
 
Meanwhile, the Nidheg the infiltrator rode opened its jaws and snapped it shut, eating and tearing apart the intelligent officer and every other angel within the room except the lieutenant.
 
oOo
 
Sashael stood nervously transfixed at the sight before him: a young demoness riding on a grotesque zombie dragon, which just made a hole through his fortress, and wielding an unbelievably gigantic lance covered in molten lava. Sashael looked at the rapier he held with both hands and sweat dropped.
 
`This is NOT my day…'
 
The lieutenant of the Assiah-Anagura outpost dropped his sword to the floor with a loud clang and ran away as fast as he could, praying for “Godspeed”.
 
oOo
 
“Coward,” muttered Kurai as she jumped off her Nidheg and motioned for it to fly away from the fortress. Kurai was then running to the door located in the room she breached. She placed a hand on the doorknob, but hastily let go as it was enveloped in a neon blue light. She felt her hands begin to melt when the blue light contacted her palms. She scratched the side of her tilted head as she carefully examined the entrance for any spells or defensive measures.
 
“A holy seal enchantment, huh? Well, no matter, this one shouldn't take too long to break,” replied Kurai as she began to cast a dispel charm, “I should be at the engine room in no time!”
 
oOo
 
Michael and Alexiel were beating their wings in order to stay afloat, and were face to face with each other. Both stared at each other in silence, and emanated such powerful auras that neither angels nor demons were willing to get near them.
 
Michael then rested his long sword on the back of his shoulders and pointed at the rebellion's leader with shaky hands. His shakiness was not out of fear, however. In fact, he was shaking with exhilaration, because he was finally able to find an opponent worthy enough to pique his interest.
 
“Heh. So you're the one who unleashed that high-powered fire spell right, organic angel Alexiel?”
 
Alexiel gave a smile that flickered away as fast as it came. “Who else did you expect?”
 
Michael shrugged. “Well, it was either you, the Gehennian princess, a group of highly-ranked necromancer, or one of the Seven Sinners. To be quite honest, I was a little surprised to see you though. I thought the leader was supposed to sit back and relax at the rear of the army. At least, that's the way it functions in one of those pathetic human armies.”
 
Alexiel smirked, “The same could be said to you, Michael.”
 
He returned the smirk, “I suppose, though in a way I am at the back of my army, since we are located at my outpost.”
 
Alexiel smiled as she positioned her seven-bladed sword in front of her.
 
“So, shall we dance then?”
 
Michael grinned with anticipation as he positioned his sword horizontally, in a position perfect for thrusting his blade straight into her stomach. His aura of flames began to radiate more brilliantly.
 
“Whatever the hell you say, bitch.”
 
oOo
 
Meanwhile, Kurai was beginning to dispel the twentieth heavenly enchantment blocking her way to the engine. Room by room she was getting closer, but at the rate she was going it won't be until thirty minutes later that she will be able to reach the engine room. That was the loss of thirty minutes of time so precious that each action in every one of those minutes could lead to victory or defeat for Hell.
 
`Damn it! Why did those damn angels HAVE to seal everything with enchantments?!' Kurai cursed mentally. This was going to take her a lot longer than she expected.
 
`Everyone, please hang on a little longer…'
 
oOo
 
Above the Assiah-Anagura outpost, the clanging of battle-worn blades echoed throughout the sky, as two highly opposing entities blocked, parried, and swiped at each other. One after the other, they would take turns swinging their swords at each other, and each time they would be unsuccessful at harming one another. To the eyes of the many angels and demons surrounding them, their fighting and movements were so rhythmic and interwoven that it imitated a complex and fast-paced dance between two energetic and emotionally charged “partners”. Their skills and techniques were clearly above and beyond anyone else in this battle, and both sides were sane enough not to interfere. To interfere in the duel of these two fates would be suicidal.
 
oOo
 
A loud clang rung through the air as Michael's flaming sword traded blows with Alexiel's Nanatsusaya. Both combatants' swords stayed locked still, neither one refusing to back down as the edges of the blades scraped each other, causing sparks to fly.
 
Alexiel and Michael's faces were inches apart during the equal exchange between swords. As the standstill dragged on, a barely noticeable smile found its way on Alexiel's lips.
 
“I'm impressed Michael. You seem to have grown quite a bit.”
 
Michael smirked, “Of course! And soon, I'll be as tall as the other male angels!”
 
Alexiel's smile widened into a smirk.
 
“I wasn't talking about your height, shorty.”
 
Suddenly, Michael cracked.
 
“WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU JUST SAY!?!?” Michael roared, as a strong surge of anger, hatred, and strength coursed through his body. The increased power broke the stalemate between their weapons, and forced Alexiel to withdraw with an effortless beating of her wings. Alexiel let out a soft giggle as she resumed her battle-ready stance again.
 
“Now that's more like it!”
 
Michael let out a menacing growl and glared with fiery eyes. “HOW DARE YOU INSULT ME AGAIN! NOW YOU'RE GOING TO DIE, YOU FUCKING BITCH!”
 
The psychotic archangel of fire raised his left hand and summoned a ring of fireballs encircling him from head to toe. “TAKE THIS, BITCH!!!”
 
Michael let out a maniacal laugh as he blasted the great balls of fire towards Alexiel from nearly every direction. Alexiel reacted quickly by muttering a counter-spell where a sphere of water enveloped her like a barrier. The fireballs smashed into the wall of water and cancelled each other out, which in turn created a thick fog around her. Alexiel beat her wings as quickly as possible in order to fan away the cloud of fog.
 
A second barrage of fireballs blasted towards her from the front, and she barely countered with a shield of water, which quickly burst into a thick cloud of fog when the fireballs hit. She maneuvered her way out of the fog, only to be bombarded by more and more fireballs. She barely defended against each one. Soon enough a swarm of fireballs shot up from below her, and she was forced to beat her wings upwards as she unleashed a water spell that flooded the area below her like a hurricane. Occupied with the threat of fireballs from below, and blinded by the thick fog of water vapor, she was unaware of Michael's ambush from above.
 
“Ha ha! I've gotcha now!” Michael laughed maniacally, as he dove down towards Alexiel with his sword aimed directly at her neck. This was it, the end of this short and futile rebellion. He was going to kill the big-breasted bitch that dared to play with his fire. He thought it was a shame that the battle would end so quickly. `Oh well, at least it was fun while it lasted.'
 
“Prepare to die, bitch!”
 
oOo
 
Alexiel looked up and saw the hotheaded angel diving towards her at an alarming rate. She noticed his sword pointing right at her, piercing through the air in order to stab her.
 
`Damn it! I'm too late!'
 
Alexiel tried to hold her Nanatsusaya in front of her, but there was not enough time to do so. Just before Michael's blade struck her, Alexiel squeezed her eyes shut, and the last thing she saw was a bright flash coming from Nanatsusaya. She braced for the impact…
 
But it never came.
 
oOo
 
Michael froze in a state of shock. He couldn't believe. He just couldn't believe it. There was no fucking way he was there, looking directly up at him, and staring right at him, with those horrific, black eyes…
 
Michael then saw him smirk.
 
“It's been a while… brother.”
 
Michael's eyes widened.
 
“Lucifer…”
 
To be continued…
 
oOo
 
Author's Rant: How's that for a cliffhanger? :D Tell me what you think by reviewing please!