Angel Sanctuary Fan Fiction ❯ Paradise and the Eternal Nightmare ❯ Confrontation Part 2 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Rant: Sorry for not updating in such a long time… I've been infected with the infamous * gasp! * writer's block... again * sweat drops *. Anyway, after reading a lot of excellent fan fictions from Inuyasha, Angel Sanctuary, Zelda, Suikoden III, Sailor Moon, Ah! My Goddess, Ranma, Love Hina, Tenchi Muyo, etc., my motivation to write fanfics myself has been restored once again!
 
I'd like to thank all my readers and reviewers of the short chapter 3 like sponge-almighty, Oya, and CrimsonKnight14!!!
 
I hope everyone enjoys this chapter, which will hopefully compensate for the length of the previous chapter. For all those reading my other stories (refer to my profile page), “Living Together” will have another update by the end of this week! Anyway, enough of my ranting, read onwards!
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Angel Sanctuary. However, I do own some magic spells that I made up for this story, along with some entities, spirits, etc.
 
Types of dialogues:
 
“talking”
chants, spells, etc.”
`thoughts'
 
Chapter 4: Confrontation Part 2 - Plans Set in Motion
 
##########PREVIOUS CHAPTER##########
 
If you don't want to review last chapter's events, please skip until you see a “PRESENT” heading.
 
First Hour of the Fourth Holy War,
Assiah, Near Heaven's Outpost of Anagura
As he plunged into the crowd below him, Michael arched his wings inwards, closer to his body. He began to pick up speed, as feathers from his wings formed a trail from behind. He repositioned himself, aiming for a flock of imps that spiraled absentmindedly towards the heavens, unaware of his coming presence. A second before he collided into an imp, he stretched out his wings and revealed his brilliantly shining sword. He slammed into an imp, knocking the air out of it, and impaled its chest. Blood blasted out from the imp's back as the sword found its way through its victim. The imp let out a cry of pain, as Michael wrenched the sword out of its body with one powerful kick.
Immediately after that, another imp from the spiraling group confronted him head on in raging fury, shouting words of blasphemy at him. Michael smirked sinisterly before swinging his sword down on the imp. Blood and dark red flesh spilt from the imp, as it was sliced in half almost perfectly.
The other imps, previously unaware of what was happening to their comrades, quickly surrounded Michael and stared at him with bloodthirsty eyes. Saliva dripped from the mouths, as they thought about how Michael would taste. They knew this angel possessed immense powers, and they were eager to take it for themselves.
Michael smirked.
“Prepare to die, fuck heads!” Michael laughed, as a massive ball of fire formed a barrier around him, then blasted outward from his body.
He closed his eyes and listened to the screams coming from the imps, who were slowly burning up and disintegrating into ashes. When he opened his eyes, all he saw ash floating away in the air. Satisfied with the power he restraint due to the lack of wars for so many years, he flew further downwards, hoping he'll encounter a few Nidhegs and devils. Hopefully, he will encounter the one person he has been dying to see…
…his brother.
##########PRESENT##########
As Michael the archangel descended towards the first gate of Hell, Alexiel's vice-general, Kurai, was riding on a Nidheg while casting powerful, demonic spells against the angels, which helped pave a clear path towards Heaven's Outpost of Anagura; a giant floating fortress.
 
Her mind was set on one task and that was to destroy the core of the outpost's structure: the engine.
 
As Kurai rode towards the outpost, she recalled the plan in her head. She must blast one side of the fortress to open a hole big enough for her Nidheg companion to enter. To create such a blast, she would have to create a highly concentrated energy beam that can bore a hole through the structure's defensive barrier. Next, she will have to fly her way through the building and locate the engine powering the fortress. There, she will attach an Inferno bomb on the engine and escape. Once out of the bomb's explosive reach, she will remotely detonate it, rendering the outpost immobile and bringing its defense system offline.
 
The destruction of the outpost will be key to Hell's success, because then the rest of Alexiel's army will easily be able to capture the fortress. The fortress will serve as a crucial supply post for when the army of demons attack the gate to Heaven's first layer: Shamaime.
 
[Linebreak]
 
As she was thinking, a highly ranked angel flew behind her. The angel smirked as he raised his sword and sliced down towards her back. However, before the angel could finish his swing, a dark blade skewered his wrist, causing him to let go of his sword painfully, which quickly fell to the demon-infested ground. The wielder of the dark blade pulled the sword out of his wrist, which earned an agonizing scream from him. Before the angel's other hand could clutch his wounded wrist, his attacker slashed off his wings. He rapidly fell into the pits of Anagura Hell in pain and agony, as he stared at his slayer, who quickly appeared smaller and smaller as he fell lower…
 
…the organic angel, Alexiel!
 
[Linebreak]
 
“Foolish angel…” spoke an emotionless Alexiel, who was staring at the wingless angel as he fell further and further down. She glanced at Kurai, making sure she was unscathed then flew closer towards her.
 
Having heard a loud scream from behind, Kurai turned around to see Alexiel floating slightly above her with her three beautiful white wings beating effortlessly to keep her afloat. She noticed the Nanatsusaya that Alexiel held gently was dripping with bright, fresh blood. Kurai failed to notice the blood stained wings that were cut off from the angel she couldn't detect. They were floating down the sky like feathers would on a windy day, except with light sparkles that slowly faded away as it trailed the wings' path. Clueless to exactly what just happened, she interrogated her leader.
 
“Umm, did I miss something?” Kurai questioned with a confused look on her face.
 
“Yes, Kurai. Next time, do try to examine your surroundings, especially your back…” replied Alexiel with a slight hint of exasperation.
 
“Heheh, oops, sorry!” Kurai apologized nervously as she scratched the back of her head. Just then another male angel descended upon her, trying to cut her in half with his sword. Kurai managed to dodge it barely and in retaliation she began to chant a fiery spell.
 
“GOD DAMNIT!!! These angels are-so-fucking-ANNOYING!” cursed Kurai, as her spell released a huge ball of fire from her palms, which caused the attacking angel and his comrades behind him to burst into dark flames, and scream in pain and agony from the burns.
 
“Be sure to watch your front along with your rear, Kurai. You almost died earlier if it weren't for me and again just now,” noted Alexiel, as she swiftly thrust Nanatsusaya through an angel's chest, spraying blood on her arm. She kicked it out of the lifeless angel, and then proceeded to cut off another one's arm.
 
“Kurai, quickly finish your task while I distract them from entering,” ordered Alexiel as she skewered the throat of another nameless angel. She flew further away from Kurai and Heaven's Anagura Outpost, making sure no angel came close to her close ally.
 
“Right!” replied Kurai as she began chanting a focused energy attack. A vertical circle of bright orange light formed in front of her. Demonic symbols began to rotate around the edges of the circle, and gradually glowed brighter as the demonic star symbol appeared in the center of the circle. Kurai soon neared the main chant of the spell.
 
Spirits of Fire, Guardians of Hell! Bring forth thy scorching flames and molten lava! Forge them into one and grant me the power to wield it! Create a spell so strong it that it will rival the strength of twelve Suns! As the leader of Evils, princess of the Gehenna Empire, and the true successor of Hell's Three Mighty Dragons, I summon forth the Obscure Lance of Infinite Hell!!!” chanted Kurai.
 
Suddenly, a small, fiery portal appeared beside Kurai, spitting out flame and molten lava that didn't affect her arm and the Nidheg she rode. At first, the flame and lava flew out of the portal in all directions, but within seconds they merged together by whirling together in an invisible vortex. A long, enormous lance began to materialize from the two ingredients. Soon enough, Kurai was gripping onto a lance engulfed in flames and made of lava. She was able to hold the lance with ease thanks to the additional powers granted during the summoning of the weapon.
 
“Alright Nidheg, let's melt our way through the fortress and teach those angels a lesson!” Kurai smirked. She received an approving growl from her Nidheg, so she positioned her Obscure Lance of Infinite Hell horizontally in an attacking position, and proceeded to bore a path into the outpost.
 
[Linebreak]
 
Meanwhile,
 
Michael angled his wings so that he dove towards an imp and sliced its body in half, its content raining everywhere. A horde of demons flocked towards him. He flew through them as he performed an unbeatable combination of whirling sword spins, swipes, and uppercuts. He was slicing his way through the carnage, eager to put an end to this futile revolt. He had one target in mind: Alexiel, the one who was most likely the one responsible for this act.
 
`That traitorous bitch is probably waiting cozily at the back of her fucking army!' thought Michael angrily. Unfortunately for him, Michael never fought Alexiel before, therefore had no idea that she was at his outpost, trying to immobilize it with help of Kurai.
 
Thus, Michael was recklessly descending farther and farther away from his goal. At least he was slicing and dicing some evil demons! (A/N: :D )
 
[Linebreak]
 
As Michael moved farther apart from Alexiel, Alexiel herself was fighting off a wave of angels, which were greatly outnumbered by the legion of demons. However, despite this major disadvantage, the angels from the outpost were holding on fairly well, and without her intervention, the battle would drag on for hours.
 
“Let's speed things up a bit…” Alexiel mumbled to herself as she began to cast a spell. Unlike Kurai, Alexiel was one of the most powerful beings created by God, and she was skilled enough to cast several powerful spells without an invocation. She chose to summon a demonic spell for this moment, since it was likely that the angels had some form of resistance to any holy spells.
 
Alexiel raised the hand without the Nanatsusaya.
 
A thread of fire appeared, and formed a small whirl above her. At an alarming rate, the thread of fire became thicker and longer. Soon enough, a massive vortex of broiling, white-hot fire surrounded her in a ring. The fire ring lowered until Alexiel was above it. Like Kurai's spell, a circle of orange light appeared within the ring, and four giant demonic symbols appeared in smaller light circles within the larger circle at different points: north, south, east, west. Various lines of orange light linked to the smaller circles like a fancy pattern made only out of lines. Finally, the demonic star formed, and all of its points touched the edges of the circle.
 
(A/N: If you've seen Fullmetal Alchemist, you'll know that those are the circles I tried to base them off of.)
 
Alexiel then lowered her hand and had her palm face the angels below her, which also meant it was going to hit the earth. After finding a suitable area that would deal the most damage to the angels and the least to her demon allies, she tightened her hand into a fist and punched through the spell circle. The circle and its patterns glowed until an extremely bright flare flashed throughout the sky and earth. A massive tornado of fire twisted out of the ring of fire, and it was blasting towards the ground at sonic speed.
The angels she targeted were busy descending upon the ascending demons so many of them failed to see hit them. The one thing most of those angels detected from the attack was the growing heat on their back, and the suddenly boiling blood in their body. The few that did look up saw a massive wall of fire blowing in their face. Their bodies were engulfed in flame and turned black and crispy. Those at the center of the tornado withered away into ashes. After the tornado of fire passed through them, this one part of the sky was experiencing a hail of ashes and large, charred, irregular chunks.
 
“Well, that should keep things in our favor,” said Alexiel as she decided to fly closer to the outpost.
 
[Linebreak]
 
Michael was still and silent.
 
A massive twister made of scorching flames just missed him by a few feet. He was still looking upwards, witnessing a bunch of his allies falling down in large masses of charred flesh. Ashes pelted his face, hitting as hard as hail. He continued staring up. Then, he lowered his head and had a dark look on his face. The redhead's bangs covered his eyes and forehead in darkness. He was silent. Too silent…
 
[Linebreak]
 
… A small imp fluttered its way towards an angel with red hair, slowly coming up from behind. It paused, wondering exactly what the hell this redhead angel was doing staying still and all. Then the imp shrugged, and flapped towards him slowly with its hands flexing and ready to dig its claws into the angel's neck. Slowly the imp was making its way until it was just a few feet away from him. It raised its claw and was about to slash the angel when—
 
- a hand on his face, with fire perspiring from the hand. At first, it was scalding. Now, it was scorching hot! The imp was unable to yell out in pain since by then the hand was surrounded in magma and melting an imprint into its skull. Its eyes lit on fire, and his entire face was melting and turning red. The liquid within the imp's face began to boil, and its body began to shake uncontrollably.
 
The angel with the flaming hand tightened his grip on the imp's head until it exploded into a burning mess. Blood erupted from the newly opened neck, and the sky around it was raining with demon blood. The imp's presently smoking body fell lower down the sky as it was released from the grip of the angel's hand.
 
[Linebreak]
 
Michael was getting pissed. REEEAAALLLLY pissed.
 
But not because his angelic `friends' were incinerated, nor was it due to a weak imp's pre-emptive attack on him, no sire! He only had one thing in his mind:
 
“Nobody… and I mean nobody, use such powerful fire but me! N-O-B-O-D-Y-!
 
Severely frustrated and annoyed by the recent events, his wings gave a powerful flap, swiftly launching him upwards at an accelerating rate.
 
A demon with dark, bat-like wings headed towards him as he made his way up to the weakening outpost.
 
“Get the fuck outta my way!” Michael yelled before clobbering the demon into a falling pile of broken bones, tattered batwings, and mutilated flesh.
 
“I am going to kill the demon responsible for that attack, I will!” growled Michael menacingly as he swiftly flew back to the outpost.
 
Unaware of the fact that he completely forgot about Alexiel `at the back of her army', Michael the fiery archangel ironically makes his way towards Alexiel.
 
To be continued…
 
[Linebreak]
 
Author's Rant: So what did you guys (and girls) think? Did everybody enjoy this chapter? I know I did! Especially typing up Michael's fury, which was so much fun! I promise things will only get better from here and that the next chapter, “Confrontation Part 3 - Exposure and Reunion” will end this small arc! Please drop a review in, because that's what mainly motivates me to continue writing this story (along with some spontaneous obsessions for Angel Sanctuary every now and then). Stay tuned for more and thank you to all my readers!