Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Along a Stream's Edge ❯ Along a Stream's Edge ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I was thinking how exactly Zuko would react to Katara, and how Sokka would react to the whole Zutara thing. So, while I was talking to my brother about it, he gave me the idea of how Sokka really would respond. But the rest was basically my idea. So, thanks, bro.
 
Okay, so Avatar: The Last Airbender is not mine—at all.
 
 
 
Along a Stream's Edge
By darkmistress in the shadows
 
 
The side of my head hit a rock, and its sharp edges cut through my skin, causing just a bit of blood trickling down the side of my face. Yeah, I think there was even a bruise after that. There was definitely a bruise where the fist struck on my other cheek.
 
How I get myself there? Oh, yeah.
 
Well, the day was a nice day. I was wearing a sleeveless shirt—the stupid green Earth shirt—and those long pants. I was by the stream that day. A nice sound the water makes, you know? Sometimes, it just soothes you. So does the sound of fire being played with wind. Now, that's awesome. But if you knew me, I prefer just to stand firmly (basically looking like sulking; but that's just what my uncle tells me), and think.
 
And, of course, that was what I was doing by the stream. The sun even glittered beautifully (and I don't usually use that word: `beautifully'), while the smell of forest pine trees, and the sound of stream water rushing. Even the background had its nice chirping of birds.
 
After a while, there was the sound of footsteps. Just behind me, but I heard those light footsteps. During the time I had been with these weird people, I had made myself memorize each other their voices, and footsteps.
 
The Avatar wasn't behind me, and I knew that because his footsteps were quiet and cautious. The Water Tribe boy wasn't, or else he would have already been hit with his stupid boomerang—and his footsteps were heavy and firm. That earthbender girl had footsteps just as light as the Avatar, but it wasn't her; she had tendency to just walk up to me and randomly talk about my insecurities (how she comes up with things like “Do you ever wash your clothes?” and “Have you ever done it with someone?” I have no idea; she just comes up to me and says them). She's supposed to be blind, but unfortunately, she knows too much for a girl as young as she.
 
Of course, I knew who it was from the start. Well, when I have my back turned, and I hear someone behind me, I always make sure it's not the Avatar. Just because I still don't have much respect for the child. But I know her footsteps anywhere—soft, gentle, almost gliding, and cautious.
 
But she didn't stand by me by the water's edge. I knew what she was doing; she was watching, studying me. Like I cared if she wanted to keep her eyes on me. But it bothered me that she was just standing there behind me, thinking that I had no idea she was there. At least the blind, earth girl would actually come out of there, and speak to me.
 
I waited for her, until I just got bored, knowing she was still there. What was that young woman waiting for? She wants to talk to me, I realized. After moments past, I found it would be interesting to actually talk to her again. Since the time in that prison in the Earth Kingdom, I established that talking to her was more than just discussing the fact that I was `the bad guy'. She made it more.
 
“If you are afraid of me, either run away, or attempt to kill me,” I told her, though, since she was well hidden behind the trees, away from camp, it appeared I was addressing the wind. But I turned around, my hands behind my back, and hair blowing in the breezes that had come my way, and saw her blue eyes sparkling in that dark forest, though the sun was bright, and continued, “because it doesn't help you to stand there.”
 
Her hand had been resting on the tree trunk, holding on to it, when I saw her. The sudden statement must have scared her. But only her eyes showed the stunned reaction—her eyes only grew wide, then looked down, her mouth quirked into a small purse of the lips, telling me she was a bit ashamed she was caught.
 
Taking a moment, she sighed and stepped lightly over the thorn bush in her way, walking to me. Katara folded her hands, and let the wind blow her `hair loopies' (is what her brother constantly refers to them as) in her face. Her eyes were on the water only. I didn't care if she felt uncomfortable with me staring at her, though I could tell she was, because her eyes blinked again and again, once she was aware of the fact.
 
Again, I didn't care either way.
 
Katara had tanned skin that seemed to glow nicely with her blue, glinting eyes. This Water Tribe girl wore blue clothing, and had brunette hair, the waves in her hair were soft. She had a different personality from most. But, of course, every girl had her personality. Since I had spent most my life with my sister and her friends, I know Katara's personality is different—contrast to theirs. I won't go into explaining her personality though. It's beyond me. She is like a mother to the whole group. She even yelled at me for not helping with setting up her brother and her tent. Of course I didn't help with that, but she made me help with getting food for the group.
 
At this time, while she was standing by me, she would have considered the quiet between us an awkward one. But I didn't. I thought was amusing how she wouldn't say a thing for a minute and a half. Katara, of course, wasn't comfortable with that. And I had a mental image in my head, thinking that she was blushing. But, like I said earlier, she was a mother. She didn't do that sort of thing. But it was funny to think she was now the third oldest in the group, since I came along. Without me, it was just her brother who was the oldest.
 
But, I didn't care either way.
 
Naturally, Katara had to break that silence I was musing over. Another minute, and I probably would have thrown her in that creek, just to have fun—only that the funniest part would be that she would use her bending, and try to soak me. But that opportunity flew out the window for the moment. And she finally said something.
 
“I'm sorry that I was spying.”
 
Good girl, I silently complemented her. A girl like her you only meet in every one hundred years. She's an amazing girl. She had the courage to actually say `sorry' first. This, of course, only impressed me for about a moment. Then I decided to smirk. Yeah, it was interesting already.
 
Like I cared either way.
 
I still stared at the young woman besides me (still smirking too), while I told her, “I can understand,” but when I saw her frown in confusion, I went on, saying, “Because I'm more attractive than the other boys you travel with.”
 
I knew she would have jammed an elbow in my side a month ago, but now she just looked down, her eye lids half open, thinking as a smile played her lips softly. It fascinated me, at times, how someone could pull off such an appealing smile. When I see her smiling (like she was at this moment), I always toyed with the idea of kissing those lips, and I know she would like to see me try, just for her own amusement. Though I know she would get mad if I was the one to just randomly kiss her in front of her peers—or brother.
 
“I do hope you are not saying my brother is a boy,” she said, “considering he is not a boy.”
 
Studying her a bit, I asked: “What do you—?”
 
“Sokka isn't a boy anymore,” a flash of sadness came across her eyes, “not since our mother died, and our father left to war.”
 
Ah, the old `he's gotta grow up for his sister' thing. I knew that one. I went through the same thing. Azula was a problem, but I still had to look like a strong guy, according to all to Lord Ozai's advisers. But Sokka, Katara's brother, looked like the guy who would kill to protect his sister. I knew I was right in a few more minutes into this story I am telling you.
 
It was quiet again. This time, I wished for her to speak again. Her voice was like a melody. Like waves, that carried to your ears. Soft and sweet.
 
I didn't care either way.
 
“Zuko…?” Katara saying my name always made my chest feel like it had a heavy burden on it. As if everything in the world was up to me, just because she placed it on me.
 
“Yeah?” I said that quietly, but I know it came out nervously. I wasn't nervous for real, though. It felt more like…something hard to answer to. It was hard to answer to, though. But I tried. Failed, but still tried.
 
But she didn't even notice. The waterbender was so wrapped up trying to get rid of her own nervousness; she couldn't tell that I was trying to sweep away mine. Would she just get on with it? I wanted this to be amusing, not just interesting. But in another moment, it was going to be more interesting. And amusement would not be a problem. I hadn't been looking at her; my eyes found the water instead.
 
I didn't see her fingers wrap around my bare arm; I only felt it. She made me look at her by her touch, and the fact that she jerked my body to face her. Stubbornly, I glared at her for the sudden action. I knew she didn't care, but heck, I did for it. I felt my heart race in excitement. That had only happened four times in my life. I'm never going to count them off to you now (like…ever), but this was number five.
 
The water had never sounded so loud ever, than in those moments. I felt my eyes burning hers, but her watery blue eyes only extinguished the burning. Almost like we were neutral together.
 
This time, I did care. I cared a lot for those moments.
 
Katara's eyes blinked slowly, and I (acting on pure impulse, don't get on my case) took the opportunity. Grabbing her by the shoulders, I pulled her to me (maybe too close, since I felt a bit…uh, yeah, let's see…the word would be excited down there). I should have had it coming right then, but the second I crashed my lips onto hers, she instantly responded.
 
The girl had expected me to kiss her. Like I said, she's a girl you don't see come along in ever one hundred years.
 
Quickly, feeling angry, I tightened my grip on her shoulders, and pulled her away, making her sure was looking straight into my eyes. My eyes must have flashed anger, because she smiled sheepishly at me, as if that would calm me down.
 
“What…game are you playing?”
 
“No game.”
 
“Yeah,” I nodded sarcastically, “there's a game.”
 
Katara looked almost scared. Not of me, but of the idea of what she had done. With me. For a moment, the thought wondered into my mind: had she ever kissed a guy? Maybe her brother, but not like I did her. And it sure looked like she cared. I think I was the more embarrassed one after the whole incident. But, unfortunately, it didn't stop there.
 
Acting on impulse (again), I pulled her too me, and kissed her, hard. I was proving something to her. Trying to play games, and kissing guys that are supposed to be your enemies is something you don't do. She knew this, and I could tell. This girl knew better. She was the mother of group, wasn't she? For a moment, I wondered who the father of the group was. But, seriously, I was more focused on Katara's mouth.
 
I could feel Katara trying to pull away from me. Her hands landed on my chest, finding new places to push away. Of course (I'm not stupid), I had her secure in my arms. Moments later, she stopped struggling (though it was fun how she tried), and let me give her the bruising kiss. Katara still had her hands on my chest, but I felt her touch turn gentle.
 
It wasn't like Katara—to give up without a fight she usually sets up. Struggling to run away from the kiss was nothing—considering she is a waterbender, and she can get me a harsh tussle with her ability. No, Katara had given up with out a fight. Like she didn't care if I pinned her to the ground, or just pushed her into the stream.
 
Her hands on my chest slowly turned into a gentle caress, more than just a simple touch. By impulse, once again, I let my hand slide down her back to hold her more comfortably. And I could have sworn I felt her react to that, just by moving closer to me by a little.
 
Our bodies almost seemed to mold together so well, just by being in an embrace, as if born for it. But everything else about us clashed. Our skin color—mine being pale, and hers being a dark tan—seemingly collided with each other. Even the way we moved. Her only movements were her hands, slowly, moving to my shoulders. My movements were sudden and forceful. Pretend I cared about that, but I won't say.
 
The kiss could've gone on much longer. But it was ruined. Katara was responding to the kiss, and even reacting even more to my movements, by pressing her body closer to mine.
 
“GET AWAY FROM MY SISTER!”
 
That was the part where everything went down hill.
 
This is when we enter the part where I'm hitting against a rock. Sokka had marched over, his fist balled, and took a nice shot at my face. Now that blood was trickling from my face, I still was on the ground from the blow. Sokka (I don't scare easily, but that guy had the face of death when he got mad) grabbed my shirt collar, and yanked me up, so that I was facing him.
 
Wouldn't you know it? He hit me again. Katara screamed her brother's name, begging him to stop. But the Water Tribe young man wasn't far from done. I closed my eyes, tired of just the two blows I had already endured. I fought back. Once on the ground, I swung my leg around his ankles, causing him to fall hard on his back.
 
Smirking (because the look on his face was pure shock), I climbed to my feet, and was about to swing a blow at Sokka, when gentle hands firmly wrapped quickly around my wrist. Once looking to see her, Katara was on her knees, besides her brother, and the saddest blue eyes ever in the world.
 
Trying to pull my arm back, I realized she wanted me to stay there. An unspoken request. Her eyes stared up at my golden honeyed ones. Her face was of concern, and even patience, while mine was stern, fury. She was pleading. I knew that kind of look. I had the same face when my father burned my face, giving me a permament scar. I implored my father not to do so, but he was cruel. Now Katara was doing the same, for someone she loved herself.
 
While Sokka was still on the ground, and Katara on her knees side-by-side with him, I snatched my arm back, prideful. Katara was reluctant, but she let me go, and I stalked off.
 
My footsteps must have been heard from a ways away, because I basically was angry. Walking along the edge of the stream, and knowing that Katara and her brother was out of sight, I kneeled down to the water. Taking all the grace in me to do it, I reached down in the water, and let my fingers brush across the surface. Then placed my hands in the stream, taking a handful of water, and splashed it upon my face.
 
The cool water actually felt good for once. If anyone knew me, they'd know I liked being in a room, with fire-lit candles, so that I could `sulk' by myself. But this water felt cool and somehow calm against my face. The cut that had been made earlier was bleeding, and even though I wet the wound, blood still ran down the side of my face.
 
Sighing, frustrated, and annoyed at the whole ordeal, I brought my knees up to my face, folding my arms on my knees, so that I could bury my face. My chest started to hurt. Not my heart, just my chest. It was like a throbbing pain that got worse each time I thought of Katara's blue eyes.
 
That girl was beautiful. I had to admit it. And if you read earlier, I don't use that word…almost ever. What I'm talking about is not just her appearance, but also her personality, her voice, her demeanor. Everything. She was just a beautiful person. Grace was always there, when she walked. Happiness always laughed in her eyes, when she smiled. Peacefulness always could be seen, when she closed her eyes to sleep. Love took place of anything you felt, when she bandaged a wound for you. Katara was complicated, but beautiful.
 
I cared for it that way.
 
Bare hands gently touched my hair on top of my head, as if asking permission to speak to me, and asking if I will listen. Already knowing who it was, for I heard her footsteps, I feared to look up. I did anyway.
 
Katara stood above me, her blue eyes gazing down to me, concerned, hesitant. Refusing to look at her anymore, I turned my head to the stream, and looked across to the other side of it. There were trees, obviously, but it was better than seeing Katara.
 
She sat besides me, bringing her knees up to her face, just like I did. I knew she was doing this to be level with me. I didn't blame her. She was just trying to talk to me. But I felt humiliated. “When Sokka and Aang told me that you were going to be traveling with us,” she said, “I thought it was a trap. So did Sokka, because he told me that night, when you were with us.”
 
I didn't react. Just blinked. And listened, just like she wanted me to do. Just like I would like her to do, if I were in her shoes.
 
“You looked different, you know,” I felt Katara's gaze on me, but I didn't turn to her. “You looked…I don't know…relieved. You looked released from a burden that had been with you for so long. Even now, you still look reassured.”
 
I raised my eyebrows, thinking how she could tell. Perhaps I was too burdened for too long. I listened to her more. Just because I wanted to know what she thought of me. Or what she was telling me, instead.
 
“Sokka was still angry at Aang for it. But Aang felt you deserved a chance. Aang had always been that way. He felt he had been given a second chance, now he gives second chances to everyone.”
 
That Avatar had always been a problem, but it wasn't like I cared now. Well, it still was uncomfortable. But I still was tired thinking I needed to restore my honor with just capturing the Avatar. But Azula, apparently, did that for me. I suppose I betrayed her. But then again, she was about to betray me.
 
“It scared me, I admit it,” Katara told me, making me feel a bit put down by her words. “And it was hard to let you come with us. You know—you used to be our biggest problem for a while. Well, not a problem—just someone we were running from.
 
“Then Zhoa came along. Then your sister. And suddenly, you weren't a problem at all. You were someone we just had in the back of our minds. And we were sure you felt the same way—well, except for Aang. For a while, it seemed like I was the only who cared if you were going to find us.
 
“When you said you would stop chasing us, just to get your uncle back, Sokka and I couldn't believe it,” a hint of a smile was heard in her next words, “Toph just shrugged, and told us if you started telling her what to do, then she would be mad. But there was always that fear of closing my eyes, and being afraid if you would do something to Aang—like take him away to the Fire Nation.
 
“I know it sounds weird, but I was even scared you would do something to me, when I was sleeping.”
 
I turned to her, taken aback, my eyes wide. My mind flashed things of what I could actually do while she was sleeping, and quickly pushed those thoughts away, letting my anger go towards her. She was already looking at me, and gave me a sheepish look, being embarrassed she just admitted something from a dark thought.
 
Then she turned her head to look in front of her. “But then, at times, I wished you actually would. Just to show Aang how terrible you were,” Katara stopped for a moment then when on. “But you never did. And I felt horrible. I watched all the time, wondering why you still were with us, helping with setting up camp, not getting so mad at Aang, or even Sokka for things they did. You just were…good.”
 
I still didn't speak, wondering what other cruel thing she might come up with. Though, I had the strangest feeling she was complementing me on something.
 
“And though you were the `bad guy' for a while,” Katara went on, “I figured out that there was more to you, than just meets the eye,” and I know she was referring to more than just the metaphor—my scar. “I learned that. And I thought you should know what I was thinking about you. Just for later on in life.”
 
I nodded slowly, taking it in. I turned to her, finding she was looking at me as well. “I've learned that your little gang isn't as bad as I thought it out to be.”
 
“Sokka didn't mean to hurt you like that.”
 
“He was just protecting you. I get it.” That meant that he would have the decency to try and protect me one day, if we even made it that far to develop some level of respect for each other.
 
“He's just…angry at the world right now. You sister…and this whole thing. He's the only one who doesn't bend an element in our group. He feels he has to protect me no matter what.”
 
“I have a feeling he knows how.”
 
Katara smiled, as she took a cloth out, and wet it in the stream. Then she placed it on my cheek, and I closed my eyes at her gentle touch. She started cleaning off the blood. “He will always know how. But that doesn't mean it's right. But then: who is to say what is wrong and what is right in that area? There will always be people challenging that, but happy just to have a brother who has instincts to know what's right to do.”
 
“You must be proud of your brother.”
 
“Proud, and grateful.”
 
There was that silence, and the sound of the stream was starting to get louder again.
 
“I'm grateful you could be here with us. I understand how it is hard for you, but it helps.”
 
“Oh.”
 
We heard a rustling, and suddenly that blind girl was behind us. “Uh…Katara, Sokka is looking for you.”
 
“I'll be there in a moment. Keep him busy.”
 
“No problem,” and I heard that creepy smile in her voice as she ran off.
 
“I better go,” Katara told me, getting up. I stood up as well. “I'll make dinner, but I'm pretty sure Aang will want to get going afterwards.”
 
“It's fine,” I said to her, and she was gone. But for a moment, when she looked back to see me, only one word came to mind:
 
Beautiful.