Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Book 1: The Arranged Marriage ❯ The Year Everything Changed ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AN: My first Avatar: The Last Airbender story. It's a Zutara. This story was started in early 2007 and it is an Alternate Universe so there are differences. However it is the same characters and I will try my hardest to not make them out of character.
Disclaimer: I do not know nor will I ever own Avatar. If I did Zuko would not have betrayed his uncle and he and Katara would be in a relationship by now.
-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-
Prologue: The Year Everything Changed
Years ago, the world of Mystical was once a land of peace and plenty. There were five mysterious lands, The Fire Nation, The Water Tribes, The Air Nomads, the Earth Kingdom, and the Sand Realm. These five lands reigned in peace, each with its own element, Fire, Water, Air, Earth, and Sand. And then there were those special benders who because of their elements were given special… gifts by the Avatar. Those of the Fire Nation were given the gift of sight, the ability to see visions; those of the Water Tribe were given the gift of healing, those of the Air Nomads were given the gift of telekinesis, the Earth Kingdom the gift to communicate with nature and the Sand Realm were given the gift of temporary control. It is unaware why the Sandbenders were given this power but the other lands did not see to question. Then the Sandbenders began to change. They became obsessed with greed and power and changed from using their powers for good, to using their powers for self worth. A year later, a Sandbender journeyed to the Fire Nation where Fire Lord Ozai and Fire Lady Ursa resided along with General Iroh, Ozai's brother, five-year old Zuko and three-year old Azula, their children. The Sandbender was welcomed with open arms as their brethren. The Sandbender, Aiden, asked to speak with Ozai in private. Like the good fire lord he was, he agreed. Ursa and Iroh took the children into their room and left the two in their so they could rest. In the chamber, Ozai was placed under Aiden's spell. He was ordered to begin plans for a war and to present it to his generals. Unfortunately, he obeyed. But the young prince, curious of the new arrival, snuck into the chamber and saw what had happened. But before he could warn his uncle and mother, he was caught by another Sandbender who had entered unnoticed. The Sandbender picked Zuko up and led him toward Ozai and Aiden. Aiden smirked when he realized the young prince was there and ordered Ozai to attack his son. Ozai had been attempting to break free. He did, however he just sent a fireball at his own son and it hit in his eye. The Sandbenders, aware their plan had been foiled, disappeared under a blanket of sand. Ozai immediately picked up his son and called for the nurse. They did everything they could and he could see again. However they could not rid him of the scar that would forever remain a part of young Zuko. A reminder that the Sandbenders could not be trusted. Word broke out and the Sand Realm was exiled to a distant part of the land separate from their own. 11 years have passed and the scar on Zuko's face has not faded, much like the relationship between Zuko and his father. Unfortunately his mother, Fire Lady Ursa, passed away two years after the incident, but not after giving birth to their second daughter who was named Ursa after the woman who risked her very existence for her. Now Zuko was turning 16, Azula just barely 14, and Ursa an almost 12. And there was big news that would change the life of Prince Zuko and the princess of the Water Tribe, that no one had expected, least of all them.
-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-
AN: So there it is. Review please! And please feel free to give criticism. I'd like to know how my writing is.