Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Broken ❯ Chapter 3: Something ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Yes, I am now Jimmy the Gothic Egg, Blame Jess-chan of the Nya Nya Neko.
It takes me forever to update this. You will have to forgive me.
Broken
Chapter 3: Something
It wasn't long until Katara found out the truth about ships.
They were boring.
Like gouge-my-eye-out-with-a-spoon boring.
Then again, she'd only been awake for five hours.
She'd been forced to sleep in the medical bay (of course they'd given her blankets and pillows) and spent the night trying not to fall off the bed. When she woke up what seemed like five minutes after finally falling asleep, someone practically threw food at her. Shed' been allowed to wander freely as long as she kept out of the way, though she'd found out quickly there wasn't really anything there. The deck, as it was implied, was not an option.
Katara had wandered the hallways and prodded things, looking for anything to bring back a memory. Too afraid to ask for a ribbon, her long hair fell into her eyes and constantly got in her way. She attempted to twist it into a messy braid with little luck.
The smell of smoke was pungent in the air. She supposed the ship ran on burning coal or something of that nature, but it was everywhere on the ship. Katara peeked through one of the doors that sported a window, hoping to find something interesting.
She saw a bed only a tiny bit more than a cot. Above it was a simple tapestry featuring a flame. Various things of assured importance were set around the room. On the far wall was a table with five red candles.
Something may have been explained, but so many more questions popped into her head.
Pain spiked in her forehead and she stepped backs. She was so sure she could remember something… Something about fire… Something about water… Something about air…
“You!”
Katara snapped back. Whatever fragment she was about to remember was gone now, but then again, so was the pain. She glanced over to see who had spoken so harshly and realized (fearfully) it was Prince Zuko. Behind him stood Iroh, his face serious.
“What are you doing near there?” the prince continued.
“I, uh, I was just looking around…” Katara stepped back, as if afraid he would strike out.
“Stay out of that room,” he growled and stalked past her.
“I…”
He was already gone.
Katara pressed her palm to her forehead. “I guess I'm not on his good side then.”
Iroh gave her a small smile. “Few people are on his `good side.'”
“What's in that room that I can't look at anyway?”
“Nothing. It is his room.”
“Oh. Well, it wasn't like I was going to go in there anyway. It just looked interesting from the outside.” She sighed and decided to change the subject. “What's with the fire poster?”
Iroh's smile dimmed. “Perhaps I could tell you over lunch. I am feeling hungry, and I do not like to eat alone.”
At least she was making one friend during this whole ordeal.
>>>><<<<>>>><<<<< /div>
Katara's head was chockfull of new information.
And it wasn't just what Iroh had told her about the four nations, but what she'd `accidentally' heard while strolling through the same hall for the fifth thousand time.
It seemed eavesdropping was in her nature.
Though all she heard was something about an Admiral Zhao, `capturing the Avatar,” and “checking the nearest islands.”
If it meant getting off the ship, she was game.
Author(ess) Time:
Short chapter. Sorry! I haven't gotten much inspiration for this story, and it's going to be hard to put in some ZukoxKatara for a while.
I have tons of torture planned for Katara, don't worry.
Sigh, review replies are no longer allowed. I shall suffer in silence. `Cept I signed this petition, so it's not as silent as I thought it would be.
I'll try and update sooner this time.
I promise.