Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Crackpot ❯ Eternity (Zhao/Yue) ( Chapter 14 )

[ A - All Readers ]

I don't know what I liked about this pairing. I just do. Plus, Zhao needs some loving.
 
Eternity
 
The first thing Zhao was fully aware of was the girl.
 
She was the one at the Northern Water Tribe, the one with white hair. Also, she was glowing.
 
“Are we dead?” he asked.
 
The girl turned to stare at him, her face distorted into contempt. “You are.”
 
He wondered what that meant.
 
The girl sighed, walking towards him. “You were the one who tried to kill the moon. Admiral… Something?”
 
“Admiral Zhao,” he answered.
 
“Princess Yue,” she muttered in reply. “Not really though. Not anymore.”
 
A princess? All the princesses he'd dealt with were annoying twats that hadn't been properly disciplined.
 
“Wait. Not anymore?”
 
“As I said before, admiral,” she said it like it was an insult, or a funny joke, “We're dead. Except I'm not. Not really.”
 
There was an awful lot of this `not really' going around. “How can you `not really' be dead?” He stood up now. He was a good two feet taller than she was, but she was just a girl. A glowing one.
 
She folded her hands over her heart. “I'm blessed by the spirit of the moon.” She grinned at him. “I'm a goddess now. Thanks to you.”
 
Well, goddesses couldn't be all that different from princesses. Just higher rank.
 
“I wonder why you're here,” she said.
 
He wondered too. “So this…” He held out his hands to the surrounding mist. “…This is the Spirit Realm?”
 
She shrugged. “It's my first visit. I wouldn't really know.”
 
Zhao grimaced. He'd always imagined it somewhat… grander. Perhaps more… spirit-y. It was mystical, he supposed, but didn't quite hold the true to the stories. The mist was a nice touch. Mysterious and whatnot. He really couldn't see himself spending an eternity here.
 
Yue began walking in any direction. Surely there was something beyond the mist. Zhao followed, mostly out of boredom.
 
“Well,” she said, glancing over her shoulder. “Looks like we'll be spending a lot of time together.”
 
An eternity, to be exact.