Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Lost in a Cave ❯ Lost in a Cave With the Enemy ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Stupid Sokka-Ty Lee fan girls… I should be watching anime… Specifically Strawberry Panic. That one girl just makes out with everyone.
 
Why are my drabbles so much better than my actual stories? Brain spurt.
 
By the way, these chapters might be kind of short. I apologize. I didn't want to make them long anyway, but I the first chapter turned out to be longer than I'd thought it would be, so this is what I'm going with.
 
Lost in a Cave
With The Enemy
 
Stupid caves… Stupid Earth Kingdom… Stupid—
 
Ty Lee's thoughts were interrupted as she pitched forward, letting out a loud squeal. It was unlike her to be so clumsy, unlike her to not keep her balance. In fact, it was unlike her to be anything but unpleasant, a bright bubbly ray of sunshine.
 
Yeah, big load of good that did her in the dim lighting of a cave she couldn't even walk straight in.
 
It was Azula's plan. The princess had told them to split up so they could find the Avatar and his gaggle of friends and close them off. They'd disappeared underground—half of them did anyway. Azula had gone tracking the bison flying through the sky, while she and Mai were forced to search through the catacombs beneath the mountain.
 
And it sucked.
 
It wasn't just that her aura had grown darker since she'd gone back under Azula's care. It was more or less Azula herself, whose aura was now so disturbing Ty Lee couldn't help but wonder why she agreed to this.
 
Oh right… The carnival.
 
If she'd still refused… That had only been a warning, of course. Azula was persuasive in her methods.
 
So now she was chasing a twelve year old around the Earth Kingdoms and keeping up with his entourage. She didn't mind so much, considering Mai was right by her side, and Azula knew well enough to keep them “friends.” But, still, running through damp caves when they might've seen a glimmer of a Water Tribe boy or heard the slightest crack of the Earth Kingdom girl's bending… It was not what she was really pleasured to be doing.
 
Ty Lee picked herself up, grimacing as she realized the floor was wet. At least an inch or two of water, which in itself wasn't so bad, but it could mean worse. A river or ocean nearby. If an ocean, that might mean the cavern could fill too much deeper, or, considering the amount of rain they'd been seeing lately, flooding. She tried to remember if they were near a coast, but she'd been wandering around so much she could be five miles from her starting point, or just around the corner.
 
Stupid caves…
 
---
 
Sokka was very unhappy.
 
In fact, “very unhappy” was quite the understatement.
 
As of right now he was entering the stage where he babbled unnecessary curse words.
 
It really wasn't the best day for him. The Killer Ladies were on their trail again, so they'd spent the day running around in the rain until they reached a few lovely mountains. They'd decided to split up, so Toph and he had gone into the tunnels while Aang and Katara had taken to the skies. He and the earth-bender had thought up the smartest idea to take different routes to avoid the girls coming after them, just in case.
 
That was, of course, when Sokka realized what an idiot he was, and that the idiotic plan was taking a very wrong turn.
 
He was lost.
 
Also an understatement. He was more than just lost. He was turned around, disoriented, and so completely blind that he figured he could just curl up in a corner and await extinction.
 
…That actually sounded like a much better plan than wandering aimlessly until he got killed or caught. So he'd just sit there. Eventually Toph would find him or… something.
 
“Oh yeah,” he muttered. “This is wonderful. Absolutely fantabulous.”
 
That was when the wall crashed through.
 
Sokka shouted as he was suddenly faced with two very angry looking women, both deciding to ignore him.
 
Delight filled him as he realized it was Toph fighting Evil Ninja Girl, and she was giving her hell. He quickly stood to help out in the fight, but the blind girl in the confusion obviously mistook the movement as another attacker and instantly the ground startled to crack. Both Sokka and Evil Ninja Girl were shaken off their footing, but ENG had one advantage over Sokka. She hopped to the side, removing a dagger in her palm to have a hold onto the wall of the cavern. Sokka fell backwards, reaching out to grab onto something and…
 
All he saw was dark.
 
---
 
Ty Lee looked up as the stones started coming lose. Were their levels to this mountain? She squinted at the ceiling, for once wishing she'd bothered to learn fire-bending, at least enough to have something to see by.
 
Her eyes went wide, and she ducked.
 
The rocks crumbled, falling right on top of her. She screamed, dodging boulders and rocks. She started running away from the mess, when one hit her in the middle of her back. She grunted in pain, falling face forward, already feeling more rocks beginning to pile onto her. Then…
 
Something soft.
 
There was a mutual moan of hurt, and she struggled to move away, brushing off damage. She jumped up, only to slide down again and land in a mix of stone and water. She had been right about the tunnel flooding, because the water had definitely risen, and it was not tugging at her to move at its pace. The rocks pushed her, and she grabbed at something, flailing her arms with ill grace, and found only rocks, air, and…
 
…Cloth?
 
There was a violent shudder, and she felt herself fall.
 
---
 
“Oh… Yay! I thought you were dead. Now Azula can't kill me!”
 
Sokka opened his eyes and yelped. A girl's visage filled his face, and he froze when he realized who it was.
 
“Holy—!”
 
“Hi,” she giggled, placing a hand over his mouth. “I wouldn't suggest that. I don't know how much air we have left, and this is not looking that stable.”
 
He raised an eyebrow and asked something that came out as a more, “Mfha?”
 
He looked around, and she withdrew her hand. They were stuck on a small isle, surrounded by water that seemed to be rising. She was right about it not looking stable. The rocks looked ready to fall at any moment. He couldn't see a way out. In fact, he was having trouble seeing.
 
“Don't worry,” she reassured with a bright smile. “I couldn't hurt you if I wanted to. I think I broke my arm.”
 
There was something horribly morbid about her upbeat tone. He stared at her elbow and thought she might've more than just broken it. It looked torn apart, as if she'd slammed it against the rocks a few times.
 
She just smiled at him, and he groaned.
 
It was so much easier when we just had Zhao and Zuko after us.
 
Notes:
So, a normal meeting between two characters that don't know each other well (but will in the end hook up.)
 
It's hard to put them in character. Sokka's normally there for comic relief, but I'm going to give him a more serious role, which is harder because it kind of brings him out of character. Ty Lee is always upbeat, which won't be hard to portray. This is strange that I'm having more trouble with the character we've known since day one, and we have a complete background and a pretty nice ancestry chart than the girl we barely no anything about besides the fact that she's an acrobat and she's of the Fire Nation. (And quite possibly a daughter of a nobleman.)
 
I assumed she didn't know too much fire-bending, and neither does Mai.
 
I'm worried about having Toph there. It's too convenient towards saving Sokka. But it really was the only way to get a good earthquake going. So no one point out that Toph can sense things. I assume there's a limit to how far she can reach out to, and I had them fall again for a reason.
 
I like Sokka's name for Mai. And just like Azula to run off and claim glory for herself.