Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Lost in a Cave ❯ With Rising Water, Little Air, and the Threat of Being Crushed by Millions of Rocks, All While Tryin ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

I do understand, for those Sokka lovers out there (and don't doubt that I'm not one myself. My love for him is ever-growing), your quite possible outrage for those who believe him a simpleton and merely there in the background. Yes, he's given some very serious moments, but the angst is not really there for him. Whatever deep trauma he is in fact hiding behind his smile isn't so bad compared to our other characters (:cough:Zuko:cough:). Certainly, I never meant to imply he was idiotic in anyway (and I did not mention him actually being an idiot. I just said his use was mostly humor related.) He is intelligent (as he's proven time and time again), but he's also a boy, and when he is not the main focus of the story, we mostly see him joking around and being, well, Sokka. Of course Sokka gets his equal share in the storyline, and we get to see all his faces many times over, but when I take a character I'm used to see being silly and rather boyish, I like to keep him that way. It has seemed that, yes, the more dire the situation, the more jokes he can fit in there, especially when the episode was silly to begin with, but this hardly seems the situation Sokka would be pulling antics in.
I'm sorry if I offended. I'm trying to get off that trend.
((That very long note is what you get for not having anything I can reply to. Now that it's over, we can get on with our story.)
 
Lost in a Cave
With Rising Water, Little Air, and the Threat of Being Crushed by Millions of Rocks, All While Trying to Find a Way Out
 
Ty Lee was in an incredible amount of pain. Her elbow felt like it was pierced with white hot glass shards, and the bone was exposed to the outer air. The water had risen up to her knees, and she scrambled onto the rocky isle, not even wincing as she placed pressure on her mangled arm and pain shot up through it.
 
The boy was staring at her as if she were a crazy person. (She wondered what his name was. She'd never heard it in passing, or if she had, it had gone over her head. Battle was not the best place to meet people.)
 
More pain brought attention back to her arm, and she glanced at her clothes, already cut and torn by the rocks. Ripping it anymore would leave her exposed, and, as much as they were enemies, she'd met fifteen year old boys (fairgrounds brought many of these about), and she doubted it would help the situation much.
 
She finally decided the silence had lasted long enough when she heard a ripping noise. She turned around, once again ignoring a wince as she moved her elbow back, and the boy was ripping apart his shirt. He pointed to her arm, and she held it out unintentionally.
 
“You'll have to bind it,” he said grudgingly, and she smiled. “There's not much else you can do.”
 
“What's your name?” she asked. She saw him bite his lip, taking her arm carefully. She got another surprise when she felt no pain from his touch, and she wondered how often he took care of wounds like this.
 
“It's not going to do any good,” he said, his tone still reserved. She could see him cursing his morals.
 
“I think we have other worries,” she answered. The space was getting considerably smaller, and her pants were soaking wet. “What's the easiest way out?”
 
He was thinking hard. They were enemies, of course, but death could put you in worse positions. Obviously he'd help her get out, and it wasn't like she could try anything.
 
Her eyes grew wide as he pulled out a boomerang with a sharp looking blade. He struck it into the wall of rock, and she realized he was looking for loose stones. She watched, not sure if she could do anything to help, scrambling away from the water.
 
After ten minutes of silence (that felt like hours. Ty Lee had only ever been able to manage Mai's silence, because she knew exactly what she meant with a shrug and a glance), a chunk of the rock wall fell away, splashing into the water, disappearing into the dark. There was a hole there now, very small, and there was more stone beyond, but it was a start.
 
She hoped it would not take much longer.
 
---
 
Sokka grunted as his boomerang bounced back at him, the rock too thick for it to strike through. The water was still rising (less so, probably meaning the flooding had slowed, which was an improvement), but there was very little room to move through. Bendy Girl was watching him, casting worried glances to the water and her arm.
 
He had seriously considered just leaving her behind, letting her deal with the problem on her own. But it was against his nature to leave an injured person, no matter if the person was someone trying to kill him.
 
It might just be easier to stab myself in the forehead, he considered.
 
He reached to claw through the wall again, when suddenly it crumbled away, and the water began to drain.
 
---
 
“That's not normal,” Ty Lee pointed out, attempting to stand up.
 
“No…” Sokka answered. “What are the chances this is good?” The question was more to himself, and she nodded.
 
He thought maybe Toph was trying to find him, but this seemed far more foreboding.
 
The mountain trembled, the rocks fell into the water, and Ty Lee jumped up and grabbed his arm.
 
---
 
Sokka was confused as she pulled him along, trying to halt her.
 
“What—“
 
“My name is Ty Lee,” she said, stepping through the opening. “And I'd like to get out of here before the mountain falls down on us.”
 
He blinked. He was absolutely baffled towards the strange girl, but now was not the time to dwell on it. With reluctant remorse, he followed behind.
 
“Sokka,” he said after a minute of silence and running.
 
“What?” She glanced at him.
 
“My name.”
 
She smiled.
 
Notes:
And that's all we've got for now. Do you know how long it took me to get this chapter going again?
Things happened far too quick in here, but I didn't know how to slow it down. I'll work on it.
I'll start the next chapter.
…Of something.
Reviews, bitches!