Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Sibling Fire: Azula and Zuko Ficlets ❯ It Doesn't Matter to Me ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: It Doesn't Matter To Me
Character: Azula, Zuko mentioned.
Rating: G
Word Count: 194
Notes: "The Beach" spoilers, I suppose. I don't really write in first person, so this was a bit of a challenge for me to get her voice down. Written for the “Mother” theme at Avatar Contest on Livejournal.

Summary: It's her mother's birthday, and she convinces herself she doesn't care.



It's my mother's birthday today, and the servants can't stop whispering about it throughout the palace. I try to ignore it. It means nothing to me.

I don't believe my mother really loved me. She might have been more terrified of me than anything.

I don't really remember her that much anyway. No matter.

My brother had enough of her love. I suppose she couldn't spare any for me, despite what she thought of me.

I'm quite sure by the way she looked at me - the fear and shame in her eyes - that she considered me a monster. A little girl. Ha. Isn't that funny?

My own mother thought I was an inhuman, unfeeling beast when I was just a little girl.

Not that I care. I didn't care then, and I certainly don't care now. I have father, and he's strong. He's not weak like she is.

I don't need a mother, and I don't care what Zuko says. He can have her all to himself - if she's even alive at all.

No matter. It doesn't concern me if she's dead or not. This kingdom has survived without her, and so have I.