Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ When Ice and Lava Meet ❯ Lacy Dawn ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I don’t own Avatar: The Last Air-bender, the very talented team of Mike and Brain own the show and characters. The rating maybe wrong but I did try to get it right.

By: year of the snake (at fanfiction) aka. crescentmoon (at mediaminer). And now Opal-Dreams on DeviantArt.

When Ice and Lava Meet

Chapter Eight

That night Katara dressed as the Painted Lady. This night the plan was vastly different from the night before. The Blind Bandit would be staying home. She was going to heal sick and injured in this, the poorest area of the city. There was a place called ‘the pit’ just a couple blocks away. The pit was a community completely of sick, poor people. These people were treated like they had the plague or leprosy. In truth they didn’t have the money to heal themselves and so were banished to the pit. There were a few ‘angels of mercy’ who would visit the area once a month. They would kill the worst of the lot and dispense a little medicine. Then they would take the dead and bury them. Many of the people there were children, some of the children were only there because that’s where their parents were. Other children were orphans. Some where the only sick ones in their families and other families every member was there. Most of the illnesses would be easily healed if anyone cared to help them. Or if a Water-Healer came in, a very dangerous prospect.
The Painted Lady slipped down the tunnel of earth that was the only entrance to the pit. Well the only entrance without taking down a wall or flying in. But the wall was too high for her to water-bend over without a river a few feet away.
The cold fog nipped at the air surrounding her. Tonight she only called a light fog out. This walled off place was dirty, so dirty the not even roach-hoppers would live there. It was a bigger place then she expected. It’s reeked of vomit, and puss and death and other unpleasant smells. No not reeked, it suffocated with the sheer intensity of the stench. Added to all that was that it was full, over-flowingly so. The sick laid in the tunnel with barely any space to walk around them. Katara peeked in on the people inside the pit, there was even less walking space in there. There was three cots, a few sleeping bags and a few more blankets, but not nearly enough to meet demand. All the warming devices used were ripped and torn into useless treads, their clothes weren’t much better. There was no roof past the tunnel. What a rotting, moldy place it was.
Katara felt overwhelmed by the shear mass of the people there. Most all of them were sick but even the few who weren’t sick soon would be if they continued in that pitiful environment.
She sent up a silent prayer to know who needed the help the most and to have time to get to as many as possible. She added to that prayer that her strength would hold out long enough that she wouldn’t get caught after helping as many people as she could.
When she looked around she found five of the people were dead.
Some of the ones she helped that night would require that she visit again. And she didn’t help everyone that would be impossible even if the night lasted two hours longer and she had immeasurable amounts of water and energy.
As she left the lace of dawn began to spread in the sky. She would have to hurry home. First she had a small job to do. Once again she hardened a Panda-Lily stem and threw it. It hit the sign above the entrance, the sign that called this place the pit. It almost missed because she was unsteady. She was so tired. “I wish I had’ve asked the Blind Bandit to come with me.” she whispered to the empty streets.
A man in the tunnel awoke at her words. But he didn’t understand them. The man shook the boy beside him. He put a finger to his son’s lips and pointed at the ghost. “The Painted Lady!” the child was excited but tried to stay quiet, a few people around them woke up.
The Painted Lady turned back to them with wide eyes. Then she scurried away. Turning so fast she was dizzy so she ducked down a nearby alleyway and kept going. She stumbled when she turned onto another street. Looking around to find herself alone she wondered what to do. People were started to wake up and it would be a bad idea to travel in these clothes, but where there is a street people walk. She knew someone would be this way soon. ‘I really wish I had’ve brought the Blind Bandit along. But I didn’t think there would be that many people there.’ She bowed her head.
Next thing she knew she was underground.
“Hey, Sugar-Queen what kept you so long? I woke up and you still weren’t back yet. I had to come get you. I’d much rather have stayed in bed.”
“It was horrible, those people, there were so many, I don’t think I even helped a fifth of them… Thank you for coming.” Katara sat down unable to stand anymore. She leaned against the hard wall. “Do you mind if I rest here for a while?” She was asleep before the other girl could even say one word.
“Wow…” the girl paused, “Sugar-Queen really pushes herself hard to help people… Dumb broad, if you exhaust yourself you can’t help anyone.” But the girl felt compassion to the water-bender. She earth-bended them back to their area of the slums. They were on the bottom floor and the floor had a big whole in the wood. The hole was the reason they got that one, so the Blind Bandit would be close to her element. So she just bended them into their tiny rundown apartment.
The smaller girl picked up her companion and put her on one of the two beds. Then the small woman sat down on the exposed earth and went to sleep as well.
Later that day the Blind Bandit left Katara alone for a while and went for a walk, maybe she’d find a game to play or who the paintings belonged to while she was out.
She did get some of that information. She could finally get some of those paintings off her bed. Not that she slept there but it was the principle. On her way back from tormenting a show man who was not up to pare to spar verbally with her she strutted down the street and met Iroh. Sparky was there too and they were arguing.
“Zuko you can’t do this! We are trying to make a new life for ourselves not draw attention. What you’re doing is too dangerous!”
“It’s only dangerous if I get caught. And I won’t get caught.”
“Listen to you’re uncle, Fire-Breath he knows what he’s talking about. What are you talking about?” the blind girl asked.
“Why hello my dear Mai Ling!” Iroh smiled at her. “I thank you for your agreement.”
“Seriously tell me what Impulse-Man was doing that’s so dangerous.”
“Ah Mai Ling you don’t need to hear this boring family business.”
“It’s been a long time since I’ve seen my family, try me. Or I can just go to the cops. I’m sure with the proper incentive you’ll find one close by no matter where you go or what you do…” Ah yes ‘Mai Ling’ would get her way today.
Iroh took her arm and pulled her to the side. Then he whispered in her ear. Zuko stood where they had left him looking very annoyed. Iroh whispered Zuko’s dangerous plan to the small woman.
‘Mai Ling’ marched back up to Zuko and pointed into his face. “Your uncle’s right Sparky. You’ll just get yourself killed. Leave this stuff to the professionals, like the Painted Lady. Cause if you die you’ll deprive me of your lovely fights with Jen. And if I don’t get to see those anymore I will kill you. By the way,” she tapped her cheek, “Jen sends her loooove and a lot of kissssses…” the Blind Bandit teased.
Zuko blushed furiously.
“Oh that is nice of her. They didn’t part on the best of terms.”
“Uncle she was lying. She’s said it to embarrass me.”
“And even knowing that it still worked. You are a genius Sparky.” she said the last bit sarcastically.
‘Sparky’ asked, “How did you know that?”
“Inflections, when your blind talking becomes all about understanding inflections.” She explained it farther just to get him angry. It didn’t work but not even super ‘Mai Ling’ bats a thousand.
“Oh…”
“Mai Ling! Mai Ling where did you go?” ‘Jen’ had awakened to find ‘Mai Ling’ gone. She was out searching for her now.
“Isn’t that your cousin?” Iroh asked.
“Yes it is. Let’s keep walking.”
“Ehh? That’s not very nice Mai Ling.” Iroh said.
“I know.” she grinned at Iroh. “But I want to put off her yelling at me for a while. Plus if she sees me ignoring her she’ll throw a fit. Her fits are hilarious.”
“You are a wicked little girl.” Iroh shook his head at her.
“I know.” She wrapped her arm through Iroh’s and began walking away with Sparky looking at her like she was crazy.
Iroh was uncertain what to do so he just played along. As they walked ‘Mai Ling’ continued their earlier conversation. “So Sparky thinks he’s cut out for the life of a thief huh? I don’t think so. He’s so dorky, too dorky to be a good thief. He’d probably walk into a wall thinking it was a door and get himself caught.”
“Do you know much about thievery then Miss Mai Ling?” Iroh asked.
“I’m blind Iroh. I am not suited to the life of a thief. I tried it once and failed. My parents were very angry about it. So I know nothing more than the old stories and the tales in the market.” She paused, “Do you believe them Iroh?”
“No. I think that the stories are all just smoke and mirrors by the time they see the streets. There is some truth to them but a woman of unsurpassed beauty living as a gentleman thief? I find that unlikely.”
“What about the other thieves that have been circulating the markets before she came along?”
“We haven’t been here long. But I have heard talk of a blind girl I believe they called her the Blind Bandit. She worked a lot like this Painted Lady does.”
“A blind girl, I’ve heard of her too. I think it’s just someone pretending to be blind. After all the things they claim she’s done are impossible for a blind girl. I should know.”
“Mai Ling! Didn’t you hear me calling for you?”
“Yes I did. But I figured you were calling one of the dozens of girls named Mai Ling.” she teased.
“There aren’t that many Mai Lings. And you know perfectly well I was calling for you!” Katara snapped.
“You were?” the Blind Bandit asked. “I really had no idea.”
“Har-dee-har-har.” Katara said sarcastically. “You could have told me you were leaving Mai Ling. I got worried about you.” It was true ‘Jen’ had worried about ‘Mai Ling’, only marginally, but still she had worried for her friend. It was instinct for her to worry about those she loved. But she only worried a little about the Blind Bandit because the woman could take out a lot of people with no help.
“Well Jen you were working all night. I didn’t want to wake you and face Cranky Wrathzilla.”
Zuko who had given up and joined them earlier laughed along with the youngest person in their group.
Iroh looked amused but he kept calm for the sake of his young female friend. ‘Jen’ whacked Zuko behind the head. Then she did it again for good measure.
“Hey what was that for!?!”
“For being a jerk and a half. Now come over here and let me brain you some more!” She waved her fist at him. “Maybe you can learn something from my infinitely smarter hand.”
Zuko ducked her fist twice then grabbed it and insulted her by saying, “With that temper I’m surprised we had to rescue you at all. If you had unleashed this temper on them they would have run from you, you shrew.”
“Gah!” In the heat of the moment she threw her other fist at him and it too was captured.
“Now calm down you eternal maid before I decide to singe your eyebrows off.”
‘Jen’ glared at him. “You frog-vole spit, you wouldn’t dare.”
“Really?” He blew smoke in her face as a second warning. Next time his fire-bending would do more then warm her face and cloud her vision.
“Ahh!” ‘Mai Ling’ sighed like a school girl to tease them. She covered her cheeks with her hands to add to her act. “Such lovely flirtations you two have.”
It was then that they noted how close they had become. They threw themselves away from each other. Zuko and Katara were both redder then the fire nation garb they wore.
The Blind Bandit and Iroh both chuckled at that.
Katara managed to get a surprise hit on Zuko before marching angrily to the other side of ‘Mai Ling’.
Zuko rubbed his shoulder where she hit him. She didn’t get him very hard but it felt odd. So he rubbed it until the odd feeling was gone. But then again by the time the odd feeling was gone so was most of the feeling in his arm.


814814814814814814814814814814814814814814814814814814814814814814814814 814814814
I couldn’t get the last chapter up on fanfiction(.)net last time. I am sorry.

Anyway to no to my Reviewers. Thanks to Liontracks, allyonshinezutara, Mannie258, and phili91. Thank you all so much. Reviewers are such an inspiration.

Now I have one bit of GOOD news, to me anyway. The second day of Zutara week my artwork for it is up and it is from a scene from chapter seven of this story. Check it out. Go to deviantART and look up Veiled Blood Zutara and the first two are them (colored and uncolored). Yay!

Please Review. Bye for now!