Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Zutara Tribute ❯ Pinch ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I do not own Avatar: The Last Airbender. All rights go to Bryke for their creation along with all resentment created from their mistreatment of Zutarian fans.
 
Pinch
 
“Why are you so worked up, Katara?” Aang asked.
 
“It's just a birthday party. This is by far the stupidest thing you've ever stressed over, Sugar Queen. Happy celebrations and all that jazz,” Toph said.
 
“I am not stressing over anything! Does this face look anything other than happy?!” Katara strained to smile and keep her eye from twitching.
 
Toph and Aang exchanged glances, sort of. They both knew something was pushing Katara over the edge and whatever it is must be big. Or maybe it was just a lack of sleep.
 
Katara ignored their little exchange and ranted on. “Why would I be anything other than happy? I mean he's going to be seventeen by the end of the day! Seventeen, alive and well—“
 
That's what you're upset about? You worry too much. It would take forces much bigger than Sokka or age to stop you from getting what you really want, Toph thought smugly.
 
“And he'll be three years older than you for a few months?” Toph ventured.
 
Katara crossed her arms and looked away. “I don't know what you're talking about.”
 
“Sure you don't. Just keep believing that if it makes you feel better. Let's get out of here, Twinkle Toes.”
 
“Wait! I'm confused! Why would Zuko getting older be a problem? Isn't it better for him that he gets older? Then Fire Sages and such will have less say in his life. Somebody explain this to me!” Aang shouted getting frustrated.
 
“It's nothing Twinkle Toes. Let's just leave Sugar Queen to her own devices,” Toph said walking away.
 
“Toph's right. I need some time alone. There are some things I really need to sort out.” What Katara actually needed was to cut down some trees outside the Fire Nation capital and hope one lands on Sokka. But why complicate things for Aang?
 
“I'm the Avatar. It's my job to help people and that includes you, Katara,” Aang reasoned. Katara had to admit, Aang had grown into his role as Avatar really well ever since the era of peace between nations began.
 
“I don't hear you following me, Twinkle Toes. If you make me come back there we're going to have an impromptu earthbending practice to fix your little problem,” Toph shouted from a distance.
 
Aang gulped. Toph had recently found a flaw in his earthbending and he hated the exercises Toph make him do to fix them. They seemed dangerous to his health. It was strange how that flaw hadn't existed for two years.
 
Rocks, Avatar, and other debris fell from the sky above a good portion of the city. Aang himself landed in the city's market. Where the rest fell was a mystery to Aang. He just hoped it didn't ruin anyone's home.
 
He looked to Katara. “Sorry, Katara but I want to live. I'll see you at the party later.” Then he ran off towards the palace and Toph.
 
Katara collapsed on the ground looking to the sky. Seventeen. Sokka would never allow this now, even when I'm fifteen and we're back to two years apart. To him seventeen and fifteen will sound like an unbridgeable and dangerous distance.
 
“Maybe the Gods will be kinder to me in my next life. Starting with rain when I'm this sad,” Katara grumbled as the sun beamed on her. There wasn't a cloud in sight.
 
* * * *
 
Toph walked into the party/dining room. Everyone except Sokka and Zuko was there. So far everything was perfect.
 
The party was a casual dinner between friends and Uncle. No Doom-And-Gloom allowed. Not only would she bring down the celebrations but she would be a definite snag in Toph and Iroh's grand plan.
 
Going to her carefully selected seat to the left of Katara, Toph felt everything in place seating-wise. Next to Katara was Zuko's empty seat and next to him was Iroh. The rest of the spots were of no importance to Toph and not worth mentioning.
 
At first Katara hadn't wanted to sit in her seat but after being convinced by Iroh and some of Zuko's old ship crew, who were looking for a laugh, she completely believed that all official cake bringers and cutters sat to the left of the birthday person. At least all cake bringers and cutters in the Fire Nation. Toph could barely believe that she'd thought Sokka was the naïve one and that Katara was smart.
 
Taking her seat Toph heard Katara talking to Iroh. “It's too bad Mai couldn't be here tonight. Zuko would have enjoyed her being here.” She sounded a lot more composed than the last time Toph had seen her.
 
“Ya. It's a shame that a rock fall hit her house. It's just a good thing Aang went flying with a different load of debris. I told him he was making a big mistake in his stances too,” Toph butted in.
 
“Iroh laughed. “Yes, it was also too bad the maids who tend to the wing with Mai's family's wing had the week off. They're such lovely girls.”
 
Toph felt Aang—turned out he sat beside her—grab her arm. “What did you do? I know you're up to something. It's written all over your smirk,” he hissed. Toph hadn't even realized she was smirking. “More importantly. I know nothing was wrong with that stance! Nothing has been wrong with it until now!” Aang shouted getting carried away.
 
“Tell that to all the broken buildings. Also, I'm blind not deaf. There's no need to yell.” When had Aang become so suspicious? Where was that suspicion during the war?
 
Aang made a noise that clearly said he didn't believe Toph.
 
“Aang, would you give it a rest? Even the Avatar makes mistakes. In fact, you'll make so many mistakes in your life that most won't matter.” Katara didn't have much patience right now. In fact she probably wouldn't have much patience until she was 18 and Sokka had very little, if only no, say in her life.
 
“That's true but I still don't think this was my fault.”
 
“Maybe it's not. Unless you can go back in time to find out you should be happy that Mai's family doesn't know who fired those rocks. You don't want the bill for all the damages to their home, do you?”
 
“I see your point. I'll accept my mistake for the duration of this celebration. Afterwards…” Aang's eyes slid over to Toph. He knew she was the cause of the rock fall and he would get her to admit it no matter what he had to do.
 
Toph just chugged a drink.
 
What are the chances that Zuko would somehow end up single when he's 20? Katara wondered.
 
“Hey guys! Sokka and Zuko are on their way here.” It was a good thing that being blind left Toph to depend on her hearing. She never would have heard them coming otherwise.
 
“I'm on it!” Katara rushed into the kitchen to get the cake. Secretly she was dieing to have a piece. It smelled so good when the cooks were making it. Cake was unlike anything Katara had ever seen. Even when she had been traveling around the world.
 
“Get a move on, Zuko! I'm telling you! Dinner was served early! Why else would I smell food?” Sokka said coming down the hall.
 
“And I told you. Dinner isn't served for another hour. Besides, I'm not hungry.”
 
“How could you say no to food?” The group in the room laughed. Sokka actually sounded offended.
 
“Easily.”
 
“Just get in the room,” Sokka said with as little enthusiasm as possible. That food comment must have struck a chord with him. Leave it to Sokka.
 
“Fine. I'll humor…you…” Zuko drawled as he opened the door to find Iroh, Aang, Suki, Ty Lee, and Toph all looking at him. They were all smiles and smirks and each of those told Zuko that he was in for torture. Worse than that, it was going to include fun. Loud fun.
 
“Now!” Toph signaled.
 
Katara then walked in with the cake. She was a little unnerved by all their eyes but carried on her task with the grace only a waterbender could have. As she was walking her eyes caught Zuko's and she couldn't tear them away.
 
“Come, my Nephew. Take your seat next to me and enjoy this gathering. Afterall,” Katara took her seat, “it's not often all your friends are gathered together in these times of peace.”
 
Zuko smiled a little. “I'll humor you too, Uncle.” He took his seat.
 
“Hold everything! We've followed the Fire Nation tradition of cake cutter seating, so now I say we follow in a Southern Water Tribe birthday tradition!” Sokka said with new found excitement.
 
Katara hit her hand to her forehead. “Of all the Water Tribe traditions he could have choosen to honour. It just had to be this one, didn't it?” She muttered under her breath. “We'll get put in Fire Nation prison for sure.”
 
“You'd be surprised, Sugar Queen. Under the right circumstances, even the highest treason could be over looked,” Toph said before chugging another drink.
 
Zuko leaned towards his uncle. “What does he mean by Fire Nation tradition? We don't have any traditions about cake and seating.”
 
Katara heard that and snapped her head up. What? Then why did they all say there was? They couldn't have been planning this, could they?
 
“The boy must have gotten his hands on some cactus juice from a foreign goods salesman,” Iroh brushed Sokka's comment off with ease.
 
“It's time for Zuko to receive his birthday beats and I'm going to do them! All seventeen of them! Any objections?”
 
“You're going to hit Zuko for being born?! What kind of tradition is that?!” Aang said.
 
“One that has survived the test of time my young Avatarian friend. A fun one too. You don't find many traditions like that around. Don't make that face. You'll get your thirteen beats sooner than you think.”
 
Toph laughed loudly. Only Sokka would have interpreted that expression for anticipation of a beating. She took back her comment about Sokka being the smart one instead of Katara.
 
As Sokka beat Zuko Katara gathered the dishes and utensils. She cringed everytime Sokka punch Zuko. The hits seemed never ending. Aang was having a similar reaction next to Toph. Though his was probably out of fear, not love.
 
At least Katara hoped so.
 
“And a pinch to grow an inch!” Toph and Iroh both shouted as they pinched their seat neighbors. Katara and Zuko jumped into each other out of shock and pain. All according to plan.
 
The pair blushed furiously.
 
Zuko hesitated at first but quickly snaked his arm around Katara and rested his chin on top of Katara's head. This was something he had dreamed of doing but never thought would happen. Even if they only existed together for the day, Zuko wouldn't let Katara slip through his fingers again.
 
Katara squeaked as Zuko's embrace pulled her closer to him. She knew it was wrong. He had a girlfriend for Aang's sake! Katara also couldn't deny that feeling of welcome to this embrace.
 
“You're right, Uncle. It's not often we get together like this. We should do it more often,” Zuko's raspy voice said near Katara's ear.
 
Katara snaked her arms around Zuko and looked into his eyes once again. She'd decided she'd live for herself this one time no matter the consequences. “We really should.” Maybe the Gods did smile on Katara this time. For the first time today, she could see a glimmer of hope at the end of the tunnel.
 
Toph smiled with Iroh. Their mission was accomplished. Zuzu and Katara's eyes were opened and Aang now saw why Katara couldn't be with him without daily guilt. Toph wasn't worried though. This was another lesson for Aang to learn: Letting go. It was something he hadn't been able to do during the war.
 
All that was left was to get rid of Miss Misery.
 
Toph would need Iroh's help in this one too. Toph began her to plan.
 
A/N: Kinda corny and predictable with the whole birthday pinch thing but I think it turned out alright. Any thoughts?