Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Zutara Tribute ❯ Stare ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Stare
 
“I am the champion! No one can beat me!” A young Katara bellowed on the school playground.
 
“I bet you used waterbending to cheat,” her latest victim accused.
 
“Why would I use waterbending to cheat? If I'd use it for anything, I'd use it to give you a fighting chance.” Ya, okay. Katara was being full of herself but she had just beaten everyone in her grade in the most skill testing, non-bending game on the playground. A staring contest.
 
The boys would live to regret the day they said girls can't beat boys in a staring contest. Or any other contest for that matter. Katara cackled. “Are there no more challengers? Is there no one brave enough to take me on? Have I surpassed you all at the tender age of 9?!”
 
The kids standing nearby merely looked at her like she was insane. Which she may as well have been. The kids decided that moving away would be the safest course of action. Katara was taking on Toph like characteristics and they all knew how that would end. A school of ice and icicle students filled their vision as they quickly walked to the opposite end of the school yard.
 
Toph and Aang, meanwhile, sat on the edge of a sandbox a few meters away from Katara. “What do you think, Twinkle Toes?”
 
“I think Katara is taking this contest to far. Soon she's going to declare herself grand ruler of the school.”
 
Toph thought for a second. “A school life under Sugar Queen rule? That ain't going to fly.” She gave up her attempt to manipulate the sand and stood up. “Come on, Twinkle Toes. Time to find someone to bring Sugar Queen down a peg or two,” she said and walked off.
 
Aang airbended to catch up with her. “Have any possible opponents in mind?”
 
“Not one. Now worries though. We'll find someone.” Toph's voice hinted punishment.
 
Katara came down from her high and called out her first order. “Toph. Bend me a chair.” No answer. Katara had known Toph wouldn't do that for her right away but she had fully expected some sarcastic remark. “Toph?”
 
Katara looked around for her loyal followers only to find they were gone. “Betraying their queen at her coronation. This will not go unnoticed,” she promised.
 
Some fifth graders the had wandered close in their game of catch looked at her like she was insane. Katara thought it was strange that everyone was looking at her like that today. When the stares continued she got irritated and yelled at them, “What?!” They suddenly found their game to be the most intense thing ever. Katara pitied them for being so foolish. Clearly staring contests were the most intense. That and tetherball.
 
“I'm going to find Sokka. Even the court jester deserves some royal attention,” Katara announced to the world. Too bad no one really cared where the nice girl gone bad was going. As long as Katara came back as her normal self.
 
* * * *
 
“Come on, Sparky. You've got to do it. You're the only one with the scowling capabilities,” Toph pleaded.
 
“If you're trying to convince me then you're doing a really bad job.” The little earthbender had known Zuko her whole life, both of them coming from well off families, and she always managed to insult him instead of compliment. “Besides, I'm just about to beat Sokka in a one-on-one basketball game.”
 
“Hey! I still have plenty of time for a comeback!” Sokka shouted.
 
“You're blowing off a chance to help me save the playground to face Snoozles in a basketball game?! A badgerfrog could beat Sokka in basketball!”
 
“That was just uncalled for,” Sokka said crossing his arms. Just because Toph had beaten him with her all seeing earthbending powers meant nothing. Any sport victory where his opponent used bending meant nothing. “People and their crazy bending magic…” he mumbled.
 
Ignoring Sokka, Zuko and Toph carried on. “That's exactly what I plan to do. Now leave.” This was unacceptable. Zuko had no right to deny her. The Fire Nation monarchy was abolished. This was the time of democracy!
 
“Fine. If that's how you want to be.” Zuko sighed in relief. He was afraid Toph would fire rocks at him until he did what she said. “We'll have a vote. I'll show you that a democracy beats dictatorships.”
 
A vote? Really that was it? Zuko was in for an easy win after all. “Sokka. Should we stop our game to give in to this little brat?”
 
“No way. We aren't stopping until I win.” Toph snorted. The two would be there for a while.
 
“Well, there you have it, Toph. No matter what it's a tie. You can't win so just leave us alone.” Please go away. For once in my life let the Gods be kind.
 
Zuko thought he was so smart. Toph would show him. Believe it or not, people actually found Toph to be quite convincing. “You! Kid!” Toph used her bending to bring a boy in Zuko and Sokka's class with dark chin length hair over. She grabbed him by the collar of his shirt, “Do you think Scarface over there should do as I ask?”
 
Forever the peacekeeper, Aang said, “Toph, you're going too far. Let the kid go. I'm sure we can make Zuko understand our situation if we just talk to him.” He lightly gripped Toph's shoulder but she roughly shook it off, flinging the child in her grasp around in the process.
 
“Quiet, T.T,” Toph barked.
 
The menacing glint in Toph's sightless eyes had the poor boy shaking in his shoes. The kids stuttered a yes then ran away knowing he would be seeing Toph's face in his nightmares for weeks to come.
 
“Poor Hanatarou. I get the feeling he'll be jumping at everything in class today,” Sokka whispered to Zuko. Zuko nodded his head in agreement. That guy was always stuttering or jumping at something as it was.
 
“At least he can heal any injuries he accidentally inflicts on himself,” Zuko added.
 
“There you have it. Looks like you're coming with us, Sparky,” Toph was nothing but smiles.
 
“No way! I'm not doing it!” Zuko said laying down the law. Toph was on his last nerve.
 
“Not doing what?” A new joiner to the conversation asked.
 
Zuko turned on them. “I am not facing y….you…” Zuko's words froze on his tongue. Of all the people who could have come to talk to them it just had to be the girl who had caused him to be in this situation in the first place.
 
“Oh. Hey there, Katara. Get tired of harassing the free world?” Sokka asked. Katara gave Sokka a cold stare. “You are truly the ice queen. I'm surprised you have as many friends as you do.”
 
“Actually, you're the only one Katara treats this way,” Aang informed Sokka.
 
“What? You mean…How come…?” Sokka babbled.
 
“What Snoozles means to say is Zuko refuses to face you in a staring contest. I don't really understand why though. First he claims he could beat anyone but then he says he won't face you.”
 
“That's nowhere near what I said! Stop messing with my life and go back to your little rock friends before I do something I'll regret!” Zuko shouted. That conniving, manipulative girl! She would make an excellent politician one day.
 
“You're not afraid to face me, are you Zuzu?” Katara's voice was sweet as chocolate and reminded Zuko way too much of his green clad friend. It was becoming a little clearer why Katara the Responsible was friends with Toph the Slob.
 
“Not a chance.”
 
“Then let's go.”
 
He really didn't have a choice, did he? “Just don't run off crying if you lose.” The sooner Zuko did this the sooner everyone would leave him in peace. Thus, the two began the match.
 
“Scowl like you've never scowled before, Sparky!” Toph cheered.
 
“Say, Toph. Why did you choose Zuko for this anyway?” Aang asked.
 
“Earlier this year my parents went away for a week and Sparky's uncle suggested I stay at their place. One day that week Sparky woke up shivering, teeth chattering, and frozen stiff because I filled his bed with ice. He scowled at me the whole day. Barely blinked.” Toph had a nostalgic smile on her face. That was one week she would never forget. Sparky left himself wide open for every prank she had.
 
Aang sweat dropped. “That would do it.” Looking over to the contest he noticed Zuko's face was more resolved after Toph shared that story while Katara was holding back laughter. Katara loved stories like that and Aang loved hearing her laughter.
 
“Katara's never going to let Zuko live that one down,” Aang stated. Zuko was a friend of Sokka's and Katara never let Sokka live anything down. He saw no reason why Zuko would be exempt from that treatment.
 
“Take it from someone who knows. Zuko will come to school everyday to find his locker, desk, and personal belongings frozen for a long time,” Sokka said lying on the court.
 
That's a pretty good idea. Thanks Sokka. Katara smirked and Zuko knew he was in for it.
 
Staring at Zuko's eyes for so long, Katara couldn't help but notice their unique colour. No one in the North or South Poles had gold eyes. None of the firebenders in the school aside from Zuko and Azula had eyes like theirs. Maybe it's a Fire Nation royalty thing. Wait a second! A prince is staring at my eyes. Didn't Gran-Gran once tell me that the eyes are the gateway to the soul? Katara blushed. There were private things in her soul that she didn't want people to know. Why should this guy be so lucky to know all the pain she'd endured?
 
Zuko's scowl lightened slightly as Katara's thoughts passed through her eyes. Anger, worry, pain, sorrow, strength, compassion, and back to worry and sorrow. It was like this little girl had endured a loss similar his.
 
Mom. Dad.
 
Zuko noticed Katara's eyelids twitch as they tried to blink. “Looks like you're at the end of your rope. We can call this a tie if you want,” he offered. He was learning more about this girl then he felt entitled to.
 
“No way! I can still do this!” Katara knew she wouldn't be able to keep this up much longer. What kind of monster was this guy? It looked like he didn't feel the slightest need to blink. No! Stop thinking about blinking! She blinked.
 
She'd lost. Zuko had seen her soul and now he had taken her champion title away from her. Katara bowed her head in defeat and waited for some sort of comment about his victory or what he'd seen. She deserved it after calling him Zuzu all those times and calling him a coward earlier.
 
“Come on, Sokka. There's still enough time for me to humiliate you before class starts,” Zuko said.
 
Katara's head snapped up. She watched Zuko pass Sokka and get another point, wonder and shock written on her face. Zuko saw her stare. Not one for the spotlight, he blushed with a crooked smile on his face.
 
She had great respect for the firebender now. She'd never admit it, but she did. Suddenly, Katara felt the urge to tease him.
 
-_-_-_-_-
 
Saru_Invasion: Ya, I know. A staring contest? Is that all I could have come up with? The answer is, no. Just look back at some of my other tributes. There has been staring through them all. I just hope I managed to make this one interesting to read and that what they did seemed like something they would actually do. Katara was a challenge since I didn't want to lose her Kataraness. I figure if you look at her passionate nature and calculate the unknown amount of time she's spent with Toph that it's okay.
 
And yes, this is the end of the Zutara week entries but I now plan on making this my Zutara one-shot headquarters. I have some ideas for some since I don't think I can develop a good enough plot to make an actual story. I do have an idea for a story but before I start writing it out I need to hammer out a few details.
 
And yes, that was Hanatarou from Bleach that Toph picked on.