Beyblade Fan Fiction / Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Adventures of a Blader (how original!) ❯ Chapter 28

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 28
 
 
The next day, Tyson was able to leave. The day after that, Max left. Serena had to wait a few more days before she was able to go home; but she still had to rest. When she got home, Serena saw that there were a couple visitors for her. One was Ms. Smith and the other was a short boy with tri-colored hair.
 
“Serena!” The boy ran and gave Serena a tight hug.
 
Serena winced. “Hi Yugi.”
 
“Oops, sorry.” Yugi let go.
 
“What are you doing here?” asked Serena.
 
“We're here to check up on you. I told you, if you kept fighting you'd get hurt. And you did!” said Ms. Smith.
 
“I'm sorry. It was either fight or die!” said Serena.
 
“You didn't have to fight. You could have just run away,” said Ms. Smith.
 
Yugi didn't say anything.
 
“They would have just followed me and attacked me elsewhere! I might not have had anyone to help me then!” said Serena.
 
Ms. Smith sighed. “It's not use arguing with you. You're as stubborn as-”
 
“Don't say it! I am nothing like him! I never will be,” snapped Serena.
 
Silence followed. It was broken by Ms. Smith announcing that she had to go. Serena was muttering darkly as she left.
 
Yugi looked at Serena. “What was that all about?”
 
“Nothing. Hey, where'd you get that?” Serena pointed to the gold pendent hanging from Yugi's neck.
 
“This? Well, you remember the puzzle I was working on? I finished it.” Yugi got a faraway look in his eyes like he was in a trance.
 
“Yugi? Earth to Yugi.” Serena waved her hand in front of his face.
 
Yugi blinked. “What?”
 
“You zoned out on me. What was that all about?” asked Serena.
 
“I sometimes get that way when I am talking to my other self,” answered Yugi.
 
“Other self? Do you have a split personality?”
 
“You might say that.”
 
“So why are you here with Aunt May?”
 
“She was visiting Grandpa and me in Domino when we heard on the news about the fight.”
 
“SERENA!”
 
“What now?” sighed Serena.
 
Max stormed into the room. “What's the big idea?”
 
“What do you mean?” asked Serena.
 
“It's on the news. The guy who almost killed you was released from jail at the request of Mr. Dickenson, who said it was a request from someone else. It was you, wasn't it?”
 
Before Serena could answer, the doorbell rang. Serena inched towards the door. “I'm…um…going to get that.” She hurried to the door, ignoring Max's angry face. Opening the door, Serena stopped short when she saw Austin.
 
“Can I come in?” he asked.
 
“Um…sure.” Serena moved aside so Austin could come in.
 
Austin looked around. “So this is where you live. Neat.”
 
“T-thanks.” Serena led Austin to where Max and Yugi were.
 
“Is this him?” demanded Max.
 
Serena hesitated, then nodded. Max rounded on Austin.
 
“How dare you try to kill my sister!” He took a step forward.
 
Serena went between them. “Cool it Max!”
 
“Cool it? COOL IT?! How can I cool it?” Max's face turned red.
 
Serena glanced at the clock. “Shouldn't you be heading to practice?”
 
“Fine, but this isn't over!” The front door slammed behind Max.
 
Serena gave a sigh of relief. “Sorry about that Austin.”
 
Austin shrugged. “It's alright.” He looked at Yugi. “Hi Yugi.”
 
“Do I know you?” asked Yugi.
 
“No, but you know my brother Duke.”
 
“I thought you looked familiar.”
 
“I thought Mac was your only brother,” said Serena.
 
“Duke's been busy running our game store and designing games; so he doesn't get out much,” said Austin.
 
Serena looked at Yugi. “Another game store? Have you guys lost business because of this?”
 
Yugi shook his head. “We've been going as strong as ever.”
 
Austin cleared his throat. “Serena, why did you want me out of jail?”
 
“I thought you should have a second chance. Besides, I knew you always wanted to go to college, and you can't do that in jail,” said Serena.
 
Austin sagged and looked depressed. “Now I'll never be able to go. No one is going to hire me because I went to jail.”
 
“Will Duke give you a job at the store?” asked Yugi.
 
Austin shook his head. “He never allowed me to have a job there. He figured that I would help my gang steal from the store. Duke always believed gangs were bad and that I would end up nowhere. Guess he was right.”
 
Serena had an idea. “What's Duke's number?”
 
Austin gave it to her. “Why?”
 
Serena smiled. “I'm going to go have a talk with him. I'll be right back. Make yourselves comfortable.” She left the room and a door was heard closing down the hall.
 
Yugi and Austin looked at each other and shrugged. Some time later, a door opened. Serena walked into the family room smiling.
 
“Well?” asked Austin.
 
“You've got a job at your brother's game store.”
 
Austin jumped up “What? How?”
 
“I explained to him that all gangs were not bad; and then I used a trick we females are really god at. The only catch is, you have to quit the gang life. Oh, and Duke wants you home ASAP.”
 
“Thank you Serena! Now I feel more terrible about what I did to you…I can't believe it. I've got a job! I better get going now.” With a wave, Austin ran out the front door.
 
“Wow. What did you use on Duke?” asked Yugi.
 
Serena sat down next to Yugi. “Guilt trip. So how are things with you?”
 
“They've been good. Though I couldn't say the same about you.”
 
Serena laughed, then winced. Yugi got up.
 
“You look tired. I'll come by tomorrow.”
 
Serena went to get up, but Yugi pushed her back down. “I can show myself out. You just rest.”
 
Serena sighed. “Fine. See you tomorrow.”
 
Yugi quickly hugged Serena around the shoulders, then left. Serena laid down on the couch and turned on the television.